The discovery thread!
May 3, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #100,306 of 107,127
^ Ditto....alas my excitement is still within the budget(>mid) range - the satisfaction of hitting that "best bang for buck" sweet-spot can't really be underestimated. Ok admittedly it's a total rollercoaster, but once you've reached that sense of achievement, it only adds to your satisfaction & reaffirms why you got into the hobby in the first place. After several years of posting on the earbud forum - I continually resisted iems, hence the learning curve has been an uber long/convoluted process - a journey full of highs & lows...but definitely (defiantly) worth it in the long run !! :L3000:
Yup. I have discovered my sweet spot for now, it’s in the “mid-fi” range and will focus on obtaining the few pieces I am left wanting (balanced cable for my LCD-2C and another TBD IEM). I’ve found my preferred signature, comfort, beliefs, etc to build from here.

May 3, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #100,307 of 107,127

I'm in danger.
I enjoy listening to my set and it's probably the most resolving set I've heard so far, really a tossup between the S8 and IE600.

The S8 is a rather niche listen IMO, there's very little mid bass and mids are borderline shouty.

Now discontinued and not really worth getting your hands on one unless the asking price is around 400 USD which probably ain't happening but I've seen some used S8s go for this amount.

May 3, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #100,308 of 107,127
I enjoy listening to my set and it's probably the most resolving set I've heard so far, really a tossup between the S8 and IE600.

The S8 is a rather niche listen IMO, there's very little mid bass and mids are borderline shouty.

Now discontinued and not really worth getting your hands on one unless the asking price is around 400 USD which probably ain't happening but I've seen some used S8s go for this amount.

I actually got them used for about $400. I'm just in danger because they're really good. I definitely get the midbass feel and mids, but they feel satisfactory enough. A bit thin on some tracks but full on others.

May 3, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #100,309 of 107,127
Yup. I have discovered my sweet spot for now, it’s in the “mid-fi” range and will focus on obtaining the few pieces I am left wanting (balanced cable for my LCD-2C and another TBD IEM). I’ve found my preferred signature, comfort, beliefs, etc to build from here.
That sounds awesome dude - such a cool vibe when you're making inroads into refining all pre-requisite gear/components to deliver your desired signature. This time around I hit mine with the very first buy....surpassed expectations which never happens ever !!...Mid-fi obviously is always on my radar - so to hit it via the budget route is a bonus !!

May 3, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #100,310 of 107,127
That's right. I spent nearly $500 for the Aures, which I absolutely adore, as my avatar shows, but recently hitting on the $79.00 LM and the $20 Trio, I'm pretty much cool with tapping out on any more purchases for the time being. I'm feeling real good within this hobby, brotha.
That's as sweet as bro !!...really glad you're digging your gear....Me too (in comparison with a more limited rotation) however I've had constant goose-bumps this week: repeated playbacks of countless new superb LP tracks: it all adds up to an uber immersive/engaging listening experience - boosting satisfaction levels bigtime !! :L3000:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #100,311 of 107,127
12747F42-DC16-4341-95D2-642F3726DDD5.jpeg

Based on appearance alone, which one seems more expensive to you?

My vote is for the EA1000 and the NiceHck something cable.

May 3, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #100,313 of 107,127
another TBD IEM
Elysian Pilgram or Noir perhaps?
12747F42-DC16-4341-95D2-642F3726DDD5.jpeg

Based on appearance alone, which one seems more expensive to you?

My vote is for the EA1000 and the NiceHck something cable.
The shell of the EA1000 looks the most premium to me but I'd vote for the Gaia cable as the best looking

May 3, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #100,314 of 107,127
Tuning is also a big difference. The R4 sounds neutral whilst the DX300 with stock amp has more “analogue” tuning with emphasis in the lower frequencies. Depending on listeners, one might say R4 sounds “digital” (whatever that means), others might say DX300 is “coloured”.

Otherwise, I don’t think it’s a huge downgrade. I thoroughly enjoy my IEMs with R4, and switching to W4 and DX300 sounds like upgrade, rather than I am “punished” by listening to R4 (which, excuse my “elitism”, is the case with some DAPs and dongles).

noted that (1) this R4 is loaned sample from HiBy and (2) it might be raffled to someone else so if you don’t see me using it in the future, it’s not pump and dump 😂
It's exactly what I'm looking for… a smaller, cheaper DAP that has a different sound signature than the DX300. The R4 will give me a neutral sound and the portability I need to use with my IEMs.

May 3, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #100,315 of 107,127
May 3, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #100,319 of 107,127
Saturday first impressions..............
DSC_0577.jpeg12s.jpeg

7Hz Aurora Universal IEM, worth every darn cent!

Blended, holographic and detailed. Fabulous separation and imaging, while possibly a shimmer of Planar tone, I’m truly to join mental forces along beside it, Hmmm…….not a deal breaker, as the gift here is pure space and stature………the Aurora is incredible. Probably the very one and only IEM you truly need to own? Buy the Aurora instead of four others, and be totally happy! IMO

The tuning is funny because it has Hybrid separation into the stage, yet totally cohesive…….totally? Bass is clean and tight, really this (for me anyways) is a goldilocks tune………..it really is. Oh and the cable……….what?

The included Cable is the nicest I have ever had included with an IEM, regardless of price? Oh and the fitment. No more borderline short nozzles, these are deep fitting, but not too deep……..perfect.

To sum up the Aurora…………clean as a whistle! I have lots of other stuff to do today, yet the Aurora is completely pulling on me………….not exactly letting me leave? I just keep picking it up, over and over and over again. And the fitment from the shell, and the cable……………what can I say……..nice! The Aurora walks that line of both detailed and warm, crisp and involving………perfect upper-end items of delineation, yet also smooth? I have tried to put it down, and I can’t? The Aurora has this distance included where it sequesters off the bass (into the stage) like speakers do!

DSC_0399.jpegdwd.jpeg

DSC_0508.jpegqw.jpeg

DSC_0486.jpegswz.jpeg

DSC_0447.jpegxxw.jpeg

DSC_0397.jpegkbk.jpeg

Just the way each and every element of this treble is spread-out?

TANGZU x HBB XuanNv Universal IEM

Not expecting the sheer stage size out of this little guy? What? Very, very good tuning, absolutely the best tuning for HBB yet. Nothing getting in the way, and not so bass laden for once, I think I will go shout outside my window? FINALLY!

Organic and pure, while it does have its share of pinna gain, as such that lifts the whole signature into focus, really very focused and holding no excess baggage with this tune. While not as obviously itemized or separated as the 7Hz Aurora, the XuanNv is very, very mature and well done. It is this fully spread-out midrange that takes the cake here. Kind of a rolling-a-long bass that is not totally clear, yet defined and well controlled, right in the pocket, offering-up bass speed and polite attitude. It is NICE! HA, I don’t quite know what to say after the Aurora thing…………….:) The TANG SANCAI tips are a nice included thing, first time to try their wide-bores.

DSC_0319.jpegljn.jpeg

DSC_0491.jpegafa.jpeg
DSC_0496.jpegdwd.jpeg

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #100,320 of 107,127
I just want to share my experience last night, mates. Watching a live symphony orchestra performance with 7hz Aurora.

20240503_211921_HDR.jpg
20240503_185851.jpg
20240503_185914_HDR.jpg
20240503_210059_HDR.jpg
20240503_210838.jpg
20240503_210029_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back