The discovery thread!
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #98,626 of 103,258
Thanks mate. They better not finalise the Cantor like this. The look, build quality, and impressions seem disappointing at best. It’s supposed to be a 16 driver monster that finally stands squarely against an average (multi) kilobuck, not another “alright, it’s a midFi”. Time to chase other contacts for more impressions about Cantor :))
I auditioned Cantor ytd, its probably as bright as a SUV hi-beaming you. The Dunu Da Vinci seems enjoyable though with the boosted bass and treble

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #98,627 of 103,258
Wait, what?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-audio-go-link.26374/reviews#review-33480
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 11.39.36 AM.png

DSC_2038.jpegw.jpeg

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #98,628 of 103,258
Neo3.jpg

I've just finished my review of the planar hybrid ISN Neo3s - which you're invited to read here. :smile:

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #98,630 of 103,258
Has someone compared ziigaat doscinco to Neo5?
At that price range doscinco, with its isobar tech, seems to be THE bass iem.
I know the Neo5 is the darling or many here, but I find it quite forgettable. Pleasing, but not that interesting or special, especially when I compare to the excellent Penon Turbo (price difference and all). Based on that, I would be interested in the ziigaat more.

Though the previous Ziigaat I tested was quite infuriating, so…

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #98,631 of 103,258
Folks, one question.

Which IEM / combo that started you down the rabbit hole 🤔

Do you mean rabbit holes or wallet holes? There have been several. It started with cheap Sony headphones, I think in the early 2000s (the cheaper and bassier, the better - because that was all I could afford at the time, and all I’d known before then were the cheap no-bass earbuds that came with my Discman). That bass was fun, but very likely lacking definition, speed and various other attributes.

The correction came with the discovery of IEMs like ER4S and Triple-fi 10, and the whole world of detail I was missing. That resulted in an insane rabbit hole of aggressive, “analytical” tunings that were popular in the day, including the CK10 and DBA-02.

Anyway my treblehead phase culminated with the likes of OG Andromeda and Earsonics S-EM9. (Bonus rabbit hole: I blame S-EM9 for being the IEM that sent me down the cable rabbit hole - like many high-end IEMs back then, it came bundled with a generic Plastics One cable that really didn’t do it any favours. It was the first time I felt compelled to explore cable options, and it was an IEM with which I could hear cable changes quite clearly.)

I’m no longer the out-and-out basshead or treblehead I used to be at various points, but I still require a deep, textured bass that slams and rumbles well. I also require good treble extension (though I could do without the aggressiveness and harshness these days). To me, treble contains so much information about atmosphere, positional cues, harmonics etc that if an IEM is short of treble extension, I’m bound to notice it and it loses significant points in my books.

But back to rabbit holes. Round about the same time, I’d also discovered the Oriolus MkII, which I bought for its lush, musical mids despite lacking aforementioned last mile of treble extension. (By this time, the Triple-Fi 10 had long been sold, after realising that singers were being drowned out by their lead guitarists.)

Some time later came the Penon Volt, which has lovely natural timbre, good staging, imaging, and dynamics. I was on hiatus and had mostly managed to haul myself out of audio rabbit holes at the time, and the Volt was responsible for sending me tumbling back headlong (and is why it’s still my user pic, even though many, many more IEMs have come in through the door since).

This was somewhat longer than intended but it’s also way more rabbit holes than my wallet would have liked.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #98,632 of 103,258
I absolutely adore this 6 BA IEM from
MEYER-AUDIO SLIIVO SLT6

Very, very good sound. Mine arrived yesterday and it needs time to burning in, but in conf UD I like the sound.
Only one disappointed me - I can't replace stock cable for any other cable due to small size of IEM's socket.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #98,633 of 103,258
Only one disappointed me - I can't replace stock cable for any other cable due to small size of IEM's socket.
Same for me with sl41

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #98,634 of 103,258
Still, if we talk about IEMs only, it's a hole without an "s." But what about other holes, and how many are there?
Hmm...how many collect without selling and filling that hole(s) at least halfway back?

Or...these are not actually holes...if I fill those "holes" with joy and happiness... :wink:

BTW Sing...Soratune V6 has been cancelled; they were actually out of stock...
but A3000 are coming, and my wife got a present from our dear vendor for her birthday, Final audio ZE8000 TWS, not bad, not bad :)

Best Hi-Fi dealer in the world :)

Cheers!

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #98,635 of 103,258
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #98,636 of 103,258
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A LEGIT MOONDROP?

1) WAIFU
2) PAINT PEELING OFF
3) FACEPLATE DROPPING OFF

Alas, No. 3's faceplate dropping off curse has hit my Moondrop Variations today.

Moon Drop.jpg

Granted, this particular Variations has been with me for 2+ years (self-purchased), and has been used for multiple reviews as a benchmark gatekeeper "MEASUREBATOR" approved gold-standard comparison tool.

It has run the good race and fought the good fight. BTW I didn't bring it for Can Jam today, but was just taking it out of the case this evening when the faceplate curse happened.

Thanks mate. They better not finalise the Cantor like this. The look, build quality, and impressions seem disappointing at best. It’s supposed to be a 16 driver monster that finally stands squarely against an average (multi) kilobuck, not another “alright, it’s a midFi”. Time to chase other contacts for more impressions about Cantor :))

Good news, I spoke to the Can Jam HIFIGO rep Adam and YUMU about the Cantor, and told them about some of us consumers feeling that it was overly bright and peaky in the treble. In fact there were some participants in the booth at that exact moment, and they just listened to it and also told YUMU it was too bright.

So she said she will bring back that feedback to the tuners and hopefully tame that region.

The Performer 3 and Binary 4DD set is also not finalized in tuning, they will go back to fine-tune from the Can Jam suggestions and release these in the near future.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #98,638 of 103,258
... :wink:

BTW Sing...Soratune V6 has been cancelled; they were actually out of stock...
but A3000 are coming, and my wife got a present from our dear vendor for her birthday, Final audio ZE8000 TWS, not bad, not bad :)

Best Hi-Fi dealer in the world :)

Cheers!
Wow! The best hi-fi dealer in the planet for sure! No fricking doubt! What ay legend! Salaaam!

And you to Soratune V6

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #98,639 of 103,258
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A LEGIT MOONDROP?

1) WAIFU
2) PAINT PEELING OFF
3) FACEPLATE DROPPING OFF

Alas, No. 3's faceplate dropping off curse has hit my Moondrop Variations today.

Granted, this particular Variations has been with me for 2+ years (self-purchased), and has been used for multiple reviews as a benchmark gatekeeper "MEASUREBATOR" approved gold-standard comparison tool.

It has run the good race and fought the good fight. BTW I didn't bring it for Can Jam today, but was just taking it out of the case this evening when the faceplate curse happened.

Before you glue it back, could you take some macro shots of the internals? It’s not every day we can see the guts of a tribrid.

Good news, I spoke to the Can Jam HIFIGO rep Adam and YUMU about the Cantor, and told them about some of us consumers feeling that it was overly bright and peaky in the treble. In fact there were some participants in the booth at that exact moment, and they just listened to it and also told YUMU it was too bright.

So she said she will bring back that feedback to the tuners and hopefully tame that region.

The Performer 3 and Binary 4DD set is also not finalized in tuning, they will go back to fine-tune from the Can Jam suggestions and release these in the near future.

Now that Canjam is done, time for me to chase Hifigo again with the same question: “where Cantor impressions” 😂

Why do I have a weird feeling that Aful is Hifigo house team like ThieAudio is Linsoul’s.

Anyhow, fingercrossed. My wallet is (hopefully) ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back