The discovery thread!
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #97,726 of 100,702
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #97,727 of 100,702
Can be that it is some sort of QC problems if yours was like that 😅

I think QC might a root cause behind wildly difference impressions that we sometimes see. Without coupler, there is no way to know for sure.

Ok, inlines of three favorite iems that you listen to. It depends on the day and the detail level I want.

Elysian Anniliator 2023
Fat Freq Grand Mystero
Gizaudio Chopin x Binary

I basically sold all my midfi sets as like... Chopin does it for me. Doesn't leave me hanging or sad.

Flexing FatFreq and Elysian, aren’t we 😤

So, P8 and MagicOne are gone?

P.S. I also started a blog to keep my reviews in one place: https://thaslayareviews.blogspot.com/

Congrats, mate!

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #97,728 of 100,702
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #97,729 of 100,702
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #97,730 of 100,702
Warning, warning, a new review have dropped
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriveti-od100.26851/review/33354/
Summary: A cheaper Ikko OH10 with better frequency respond, not as bass head as OH10. Deserve a recommend, if the price were around 50$!

Great review, mate! Precise and to the point. I like the imaging review notes.

Do these IEM come with a set of Divinus Velvet tips in the box? That's generous.

Some photos extracted from the B-rolls today

Crimson_00013.jpg

Crimson_00019.jpg

Crimson_00015.jpg

"Made in Singapore, lah"

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #97,731 of 100,702

Do these IEM come with a set of Divinus Velvet tips in the box? That's generous.
ah no, i just use different set of eartips since it's always better than stock anyway, right? :o2smile::o2smile::o2smile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #97,732 of 100,702
hehe, NEW REVIEW DROPPED!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriveti-od200.26812/review/33355/
Oriveti OD200 sumarry: Me as a vocal lover was captured right at the first listening, the expressive nature of OD200 gave me chills whenever i listen to some good vocal focus song. I would wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone who have vocal based library like mine. Well 200$ spent! Also nice accessary to boost.

_even tho i say 200$ spent but these are actually review unit. I just want to say that cause even at 200$ no discount, these still worth it!

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #97,733 of 100,702

I've just finished reviewing the Penon Liqueur eartips, which you're invited to read here. :smile:

They come in orange & black, both slightly different - thoroughly recommend the black versions if you need tips with top-notch isolation.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #97,734 of 100,702
I have been listening to the Shuoer S15 for a while, no doubts that it isn't a follow-up to the S12 or the Pro for sure. What it has is a bit more control and a different kind of tuning. Is it better? This comes down to preference. Is it worth the price gap? Maybe not..
Here is my review video:

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #97,736 of 100,702
I have just posted a review on an item that was never reviewed before for some reason. It is the fantastic Venture Electronics SIE!

20230924_163809~2.jpg

Feel free to read HERE!

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #97,737 of 100,702
Got a NiceHCK F1 Pro w/4.4mm plug for 75 greenbacks

That's all

Biggest respect! You have the patience of a saint!

But can you get past the Aliexpress Summer Sale, 11/11, Black Friday and Christmas sales?

Haha kiddin, but the F1 Pro is really quite a decent sub-$100 USD planar IEM, just a tinge sibilant but does most other departments well. Planar IEMs were considered exotic creatures just 2 years back, and usually cost a pretty penny. It is really amazing we are seeing (and hearing) sub $100 planar IEMs weekly, and I don't mean those pseudo square planar stuff but legit planar driver IEMs.

On the other hand, I don't have any earbuds and maybe it's the wrong thread for this, but do you guys have any recommendations for an earbud newb? The last time I used earbuds was probably in the early 2000's with a cheap set of Sony. The Yincrow RW-2000 seems to always be highly recommended and they're on sale right now on AE for $89 USD. Any thoughts on this one?

Earbuds are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs per se, as the former have zero seal. So generally, there is no isolation and loss of sub-bass, but you get a big soundstage compared to most IEMs. IEMs may have more sub-bass and may have more micro-detailing, but the soundstage is quite confined to in your head. Different pros and cons between the 2 transducer types.

Some earbuds also come in crazy high impedance/low sensitivity, so they may be harder to drive than traditional IEMs. One good thing is that earbuds are generally cheaper than IEMs as they mostly use single DD. So budget earbuds are considered to be sub $20. $20 - 100 USD is actually midFI for earbuds. And seriously, TOTL earbuds can be considered from $100 USD.

The Yincrow RW2000 is considered one of the gatekeeper TOTL earbuds in the Headfi earbuds thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/ (you can go talk to the friendly earbud addicts there!)

I have a RW2000 too and it is very balanced, U-shaped, excellent timbre. $89 is a good deal for sure. But I'm not sure if you would be keen to try some budget/MidFI earbuds before diving straight in to a TOTL earbud haha? But that is good in a way, you can hit the good stuff first and don't waste money buying pokemon sidegrade stuff, though sometimes you might miss the journey of experiencing these lower cost goodies!

I really don’t get the sustained TOTL status, that the Z1R still enjoys; I get that it's design was way ahead of it's time, 6ish years ago. And yes the Z1R has the best sub bass that I’ve experienced and an impressive, wide soundstage. But the Z1R is the definition of a sharp V shape, sound profile. In comparison to current trending IEMs, like the Penon 10th Anniversary, the vocals are severely recessed.

Even though I'm a professed basshead, I would still pick the Penon Anniv. over the Z1R, 90% of the time. And that 10% (for me) isn't worth the triple cost, of the Penon Anniv.

Sony IER Z1R vs Penon 10th.jpg

Great points. Z1R is really endgame for bass lovers. But the mids are overly recessed.

But the biggest elephant in the room is its horrendous fit. Many consumers face issues with ergonomics for the Z1R. I auditioned it 3x and brought 10 sets of eartips but couldn't get a proper fit unfortunately.

Just posted a new review for the recently released ifi hip-dac 3. It's a fantastic amp and finally that pesky USB-A input port that I hated is gone! Check out the review below if interested. Thanks!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-hip-dac-3.26837/reviews#review-33353

P.S. I also started a blog to keep my reviews in one place: https://thaslayareviews.blogspot.com/

Congrats, and will visit your site!

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #97,738 of 100,702

Some photos extracted from the B-rolls today

Crimson_00013.jpg

Crimson_00019.jpg

Crimson_00015.jpg

"Made in Singapore, lah"

I can see the Crimson as perfection of the legendary Helios, and has big chance to go into my humble collections.
Symphonium guys really know how to tune, one of the best tuner in the world maybe.
How is the imaging part compared to u12t and Mests?

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #97,739 of 100,702
How is the imaging part compared to u12t and Mests?

It trades blow with U12t on anything that I index for. One advantage is that it does not have the strong 16kHz peak that sometimes creates the tizziness sensation of the U12t. But if you want your bass to be more “puffy” and maybe more “live performance” rather than studio, then U12t’s bass is better.

Very tip sensitive. If you use long tips to extend the nozzle, you will suffer the treble.

Oh, and very difficult to drive (6ohm, 84 or so dB/mW). U12t is still the most “user friendly” that can run from peanuts. Still, I run it with AFUL snowy night 90% of the time. It’s a bit better with DX300 + G5 combo.

Ironically, the U12t feels easy going next to the Crimson. The Gaea is still the most energetic one in my stable.

Edit: yes. It’s the perfection of the neutral with bass boost signature of Helios, unless you must have that 250Hz dip.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #97,740 of 100,702
hehe, NEW REVIEW DROPPED!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriveti-od200.26812/review/33355/
Oriveti OD200 sumarry: Me as a vocal lover was captured right at the first listening, the expressive nature of OD200 gave me chills whenever i listen to some good vocal focus song. I would wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone who have vocal based library like mine. Well 200$ spent! Also nice accessary to boost.

_even tho i say 200$ spent but these are actually review unit. I just want to say that cause even at 200$ no discount, these still worth it!

Very interesting reviews. What are your 2-3 daily drivers and what are your favorites overall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back