The discovery thread!
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #97,291 of 103,081
Not much love for the Hype 4. Tried Corier tips..better. Switched out cable to PWA #10 =pure bliss. Going to try comparing to some of my more top tier IEMS after break in

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #97,292 of 103,081
C9D6DE57-C6B5-4CD9-8EC0-216BE47F43B6.jpeg

Setup today. Has the hype train of Pula PA02 crashed and burned? I haven’t seen people talking about it anymore. It’s quite remarkable, IMHO.
Couldn't take my eyes off of your writing. So calming. I could read any book so much easier if it were handwritten like this.

As for Pula, I never boarded that train.

Cross post from ISN thread:
I know it's not a real discovery but...
This combo: ISN Neo 5 + Fiio M15S + ISN CS02
What a great synergy - beautiful, sounds more lively and dynamic than anything I ever heard!
Brings me to tears :cry::ksc75smile:
IMG_20240317_132003.jpg
Like in that Daft Punk song - it truly gives life back to music :smiley:
I bet it's awesome. Oh if only someone was selling their M15S for, like, 639€ ... Wow, wait ..., this guy (me) is! Amazing coincidence!

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #97,293 of 103,081
Agree on DACs and amps. And his measurements of headphones are valuable.

But listen to ANY of Amir's recommended EQ fixes for headphones he reviews and considers tonally off, and you'll learn his preferred sound signature is quite a ways from neutral or even Harman.
Hahahaha. Yeah, his preferred EQ IS usually quite comical. One longtime member on ASR usually points how a much different EQ has better adherence to the Oratory1990 stuff.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #97,294 of 103,081
Lowering the economic pretensions and trying to cover the lower budget, here is my humble opinion about the NiceHCK DB2.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db2.27009/reviews#review-33294

NiceHCK DB2 21_r.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #97,296 of 103,081
True, the power that is transmitted to IEMs are few mW with the voltages of around 1 V and few mA currents.
Then different metals of interconnects, including cables, can matter due hererojunction potentials that for metals are best described and understood in thermocouples: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple
Potentials generated by metal heterojunctions are relatively small in household perception, just several mV. Yet, if you compare these potentials to the noise floor currently claimed for many sources (DAC, DAPs) at 1-5 microvolts, than those heterojunction voltages can be very consequential.
So if one randomly connects all fancy palladium, rhodium connectors - the temperature-dependent noise is added to the chain.
Surely, beleivers just beleive in what they think they hear.
Beleivers are highly profitable, so I very much understand great efforts to protect, to insulate them from the truth, and to maximally support the mantra of beliefs.

Yet, the aggresive recent behaviour of the mass marketers, like caboose, defending Penon rights to issue the very best new cable each time that always makes so much difference compared to alk other previous cables (ans can be the one that will fit all you needs... until the next new cable) seems totally out of place and appaling even on top of all the expected bias....

By the same token, an important related aspects is that good solders can matter (I would personally prefer solderless gold-plated contacts for my ideal circuitry, and gold plated contacts are mostly used to minimize heterojunction potentials), yet the fact that some people can hear solders, especially in speaker cables, does not totally surprise me.

Thank you for a theory.

I believe the actual explanation lies squarely with what you discussed in the middle of your reply.

People get given stuff to talk about so they have to find something to say. They may even actually perceive a difference in sound but it is entirely possible to perceive a difference if one expects to, wants to or listens hard enough for it even with equipment changes that simply cannot legitimately create a genuinely audible difference or frankly even if there is no change in equipment at all.

When I have a few moments I am going to set up a series of adapters and extension cables to test this. Including the swappable termination I think I can create at least 6 contact connections. I will report back if I prove my hunch wrong in that it will sound the same.

EDITED TO REPORT BACK: I set up a cable run from my IEM to amplifier with a series of adapters and extensions with no fewer than seven contact type connections and there was no discernable difference in sound with the same IEM using a similar cable with a fixed termination despite the 350% increase in contact type connections relative to a non swappable termination. Of course folks will say that my hearing simply isn't good enough while that of the review folks is highly tuned to pick up the slightest nuances, I offer that there is a much more probable explanation but that is not something we are allowed to discuss.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #97,297 of 103,081
1710700618066.png

LETSHUOER Cadenza4 is an absolute gem!!
I wanted to make this post yesterday but couldn't due to some health issues. But having spent a full day with the set, I feel I have a better take on the C4. Let's share my first impressions:-
Fast, quick bass response. Mid-bass has good precision and the sub-bass has a good rumble. But bass is not the strongest point here. Midrange is where the charm of C4 starts coming out and hitting the perfect spot. Vocals are absolute gem with great texture and a neutral tone. Instruments have excellent separation and a sense of crispness to them(not the sharp kinda). Treble has good extensions and amazing resolution. The Cadenza4 handles busy track with full precision and excellent resolution. Soundstage has good air and a sense of immersiveness. It's not very wide, but has a 3D feel and doesn't feel congested at all.
So far, I am enjoying it greatly, and I believe LETSHUOER is in the right direction, first the S15 and now the C4.

Now somethings I don't like much:-
The looks, I am not a fan of plastic-looking shells.
At louder volumes, and with a neutral-detail oriented source, the pair gets a bit sharp.

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #97,298 of 103,081
Thank you for a theory.

I believe the actual explanation lies squarely with what you discussed in the middle of your reply.

People get given stuff to talk about so they have to find something to say. They may even actually perceive a difference in sound but it is entirely possible to perceive a difference if one expects to, wants to or listens hard enough for it even with equipment changes that simply cannot legitimately create a genuinely audible difference or frankly even if there is no change in equipment at all.

When I have a few moments I am going to set up a series of adapters and extension cables to test this. Including the swappable termination I think I can create at least 6 contact connections. I will report back if I prove my hunch wrong in that it will sound the same.

EDITED TO REPORT BACK: I set up a cable run from my IEM to amplifier with a series of adapters and extensions with no fewer than seven contact type connections and there was no discernable difference in sound with the same IEM using a similar cable with a fixed termination despite the 350% increase in contact type connections relative to a non swappable termination. Of course folks will say that my hearing simply isn't good enough while that of the review folks is highly tuned to pick up the slightest nuances, I offer that there is a much more probable explanation but that is not something we are allowed to discuss.
I watched a video from a reviewer that I previously watched and trusted who lost me when he reviewed audiophile grade fuses and claimed he could hear a difference...

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #97,299 of 103,081
Prepping with photos today for my next three reviews...
  1. Craft Ears Aurum - DD, 4x BA, 2x EST
  2. Orivetti OH700VB - DD, 6x BA
  3. NiceHCK Himalaya - single DD
Absolutely loving all three!

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #97,300 of 103,081
Prepping with photos today for my next three reviews...
  1. Craft Ears Aurum - DD, 4x BA, 2x EST
  2. Orivetti OH700VB - DD, 6x BA
  3. NiceHCK Himalaya - single DD
Absolutely loving all three!

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg
The nozzles of that Craft Ears do not seem fun. One must have a freakishly straight ear canal to have a flushed fit with those 🤔

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #97,301 of 103,081
The nozzles of that Craft Ears do not seem fun. One must have a freakishly straight ear canal to have a flushed fit with those 🤔

Yeah I was concerned as to how they’d fit as I typically don’t get on well with longer nozzles but these are actually fine and very comfortable - weirdly also I can’t see any vents but I’m not experiencing pressure build which I’m usually very sensitive to… given there’s a DD I’d expect a vent, maybe my aging eyes just can’t see them 😂

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #97,302 of 103,081
So, I’m currently working on my listening impressions of the Symphonium Crimson and while I have been enjoying them quite a bit after some serious tip-rolling, I took a break to snap some pics and wanted to share some with you fine gentlemen. I hope everyone is having a great night!

Edit-16.jpg

Edit-20.jpg

Some initial impressions are that the Crimsons lean towards a lighter, more airy signature that for some may border on too spicy. But for me, luckily the upper mids are kept mostly at bay using the right source equipment. Like all Symphonium IEMs, these things take serious power to drive correctly. Not in terms of volume, but in terms of smoothening out the frequency and bringing the most out of the sub-bass and mid-bass regions. Technicalities are befitting of a TOTL IEM, for sure. Head stage, resolution, and detail retrieval are some of the best I’ve heard. They are ultra clean, precise, and highly resolving.

Look out for a full write-up and more pics soon. Thanks for reading
:slight_smile:

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #97,303 of 103,081
So, I’m currently working on my listening impressions of the Symphonium Crimson and while I have been enjoying them quite a bit after some serious tip-rolling, I took a break to snap some pics and wanted to share some with you fine gentlemen. I hope everyone is having a great night!

Edit-16.jpg

Edit-20.jpg

Some initial impressions are that the Crimsons lean towards a lighter, more airy signature that for some may border on too spicy. But for me, luckily the upper mids are kept mostly at bay using the right source equipment. Like all Symphonium IEMs, these things take serious power to drive correctly. Not in terms of volume, but in terms of smoothening out the frequency and bringing the most out of the sub-bass and mid-bass regions. Technicalities are befitting of a TOTL IEM, for sure. Head stage, resolution, and detail retrieval are some of the best I’ve heard. They are ultra clean, precise, and highly resolving.

Look out for a full write-up and more pics soon. Thanks for reading
:slight_smile:
I was going to ask how you take those amazing photos. And then I remember you are a photographer IRL 😂

Stealing the arrangement of that vertical shot with the cable for my next reviews

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #97,304 of 103,081
I was going to ask how you take those amazing photos. And then I remember you are a photographer IRL 😂

Stealing the arrangement of that vertical shot with the cable for my next reviews
Where did you steal - that nonchalant pic of iems on a Bannister of a staircase?! Looked good in that earlier review

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #97,305 of 103,081
Where did you steal - that nonchalant pic of iems on a Bannister of a staircase?! Looked good in that earlier review
What are you talking about? I have no stairs anywhere near me :dt880smile: But thanks for the complement. I actually recorded videos in case I need to make a review video, so it was actually a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back