The discovery thread!
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #97,276 of 106,709
Penon sent through some new goodies I plan on reviewing in due course, in the meantime here are a some brief impressions from my last few days with them. :relaxed:

Eartips.jpg

Penon Liqueur Eartips come in two varieties (4 sizes each), orange and black which vary slightly in construction – the black ones are thicker walled, as a result the two sound slightly different.

If you’ve ever tried Azla Sedna Xelastecs you’ll know they feel very tacky/sticky which helps create a really strong seal. The Liqueur tips feel similar but thankfully nowhere near to the same extent, as I could never get along with the Xelastecs for that reason. Instead they’re much closer to regular silicone, but sized quite large – the largest are actually too big for my ears, whereas I typically use the largest size on most eartips. Good news if you’re someone who struggles to find tips large enough.

Both the orange & black versions are quite soft & comfortable, in my early tests the orange tips seem to emphasise upper midrange more & sound a bit airier than the blacks, which highlight midbass and seem a bit darker. I turned on my very noisy robovac to conduct some noise tests, and the black versions in particular are superb at creating a very strong seal – they seem to isolate better than any other tips in my collection (except Xelastecs which I don't like) so I plan to use them on public transport.

Neo3.jpg

ISN Neo3s are extremely light, I wouldn’t call them small but they’re very comfortable as the stems are long enough that the portion of the shells that makes contact with my ears is fairly slender. As expected from an ISN IEM they’re very bassy with sub bass that goes quite deep, but I wouldn’t call it exaggerated or excessively dominant. In fact they sound quite balanced, even polite.

Compared to the Neo1s I recently reviewed the Neo3s have a much wider soundstage, are smoother & less shouty with a greater sense of refinement. The Neo5s by contrast feel more bass dominant than the Neo3s, with a much slower DD bass driver. They’re also brighter, more dynamic & v-shaped whereas the Neo3s are more neutral. I’ve quickly A/Bed the Neo3s against the NiceHCK F1 Pros which are also much brighter and perhaps faster but don’t sound as natural.

OS133.jpg

Penon OS133 USB-C Dongle is on the smaller & more ergonomic side of dongles I’ve tried over the years, and is way less expensive than those I use – however I’m very much a DAP lover out & about, and only ever use dongles with my laptop. However for maximum portability the OS133’s design is much less burdensome than the usual dongle form factor, and feels like plugging an IEM directly into your phone with a slightly longer & heavier cable.

Sonically the OS133 isn't as refined as the Penon Tail, with a background that’s not quite as black & instruments that aren’t as separated, though the OS133 has more emphasised sub bass and is more v-shaped overall which is going to suit energetic genres, whereas by contrast the Tail is fairly neutral.

Swapping to the far more expensive RU7 unlocks a whole new level of refinement with a more analogue tonality, though for some reason I find my iPhone 15 Pro’s USB-C port doesn’t do any of these dongles full justice – they all sound much better through my Macbook for some reason… but for $35 the OS133 feels like a super convenient way to use IEMs through my phone.

ASOS-Plus.jpg

Penon ASOS+ Cable is identical to the regular ASOS I recently reviewed, except the ASOS’ modular plug & 2pin connectors have been replaced by a higher quality ‘purple copper’ plug & 2pin connectors with the ASOS+. As someone who’s DIYed my own IEM cables I’m well aware connector quality (especially 4.4mm plugs) can have a substantial impact on performance but have never had the chance to A/B identical cables where only the connectors differ.

After briefly comparing the ASOS+ with the ASOS on the ISN Neo5s, I find the ASOS+ has better dynamics, improved note weight & deeper bass. Vocals sound smaller & more recessed on the ASOS, everything feels more mechanical and less organic whereas the ASOS+ feels much more direct with music flowing more effortlessly.

This lines up with my prior experiences with modular friction-fit connectors - that they tend to rob musicality. For an extra $46 I’d strongly recommend spending the extra on the ASOS+ if you’re considering purchasing either cable, as I would personally never dream of purchasing an expensive cable with friction-fit connectors because what you gain in convenience IMHO simply isn’t worth putting up with sound that's more robotic, mechanical & less natural. Of course it’s easy for me to say that given all my IEMs use 2pin connectors and my sources have 4.4mm sockets, but that’s very much by design.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #97,277 of 106,709
C9D6DE57-C6B5-4CD9-8EC0-216BE47F43B6.jpeg

Setup today. Has the hype train of Pula PA02 crashed and burned? I haven’t seen people talking about it anymore. It’s quite remarkable, IMHO.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #97,278 of 106,709
So glad the Dita Project M sold out again before I could pull the trigger. Been enjoying the CCA Trio so much lately, and it's such a champ for details and transparency. If only it had just a tad more resolution, it would be a modern marvel, which I'm not saying it isn't, but the bass isn't the most punchy and the resolution is maybe a 3.5/5, but the spacing, stage, imaging, and transparency is 4/5 easy, so if you haven't purchased it yet...what are you waiting for?! Dita keeps going fast. Second time I waited less than a day, and all the stock went bye bye.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #97,279 of 106,709
C9D6DE57-C6B5-4CD9-8EC0-216BE47F43B6.jpeg

Setup today. Has the hype train of Pula PA02 crashed and burned? I haven’t seen people talking about it anymore. It’s quite remarkable, IMHO.
Still loving mine and it's in my daily box since review so that's saying alot and the fact I thought 2 so I didn't have to send mine out on tour.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #97,280 of 106,709
So glad the Dita Project M sold out again before I could pull the trigger. Been enjoying the CCA Trio so much lately, and it's such a champ for details and transparency. If only it had just a tad more resolution, it would be a modern marvel, which I'm not saying it isn't, but the bass isn't the most punchy and the resolution is maybe a 3.5/5, but the spacing, stage, imaging, and transparency is 4/5 easy, so if you haven't purchased it yet...what are you waiting for?! Dita keeps going fast. Second time I waited less than a day, and all the stock went bye bye.
You read my mind. I don’t need to review the trio anymore. Anyone curious just read the paragraph above 👆

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #97,281 of 106,709
Howdy folks, my review of Jialai Carat is online on head-fi and my blog.

What I like about this IEM:

• Clean, clear, and open sonic presentation
  • Strong sense of clarity but rarely get shrill, harsh, or sibilant
  • Bass is controlled with good dynamic and texture
  • Can convey a 3D sound scape with the right track
  • Good build quality
  • Complex set of quality accessories
What could be improved:

• Tonality can be unbalanced with some recording
  • Short nozzles make ear tips pairing tricky
  • Dependent on the choice of DAC and amp
  • Fierce competition
Should you buy this IEM? I think Carat would make a good gift to introduce a friend or family member to the world of “audiophile” IEMs. It would make a good beginner IEM. However, if you are sensitive to treble, Carat might be pushing the boundary.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3/5 - Good (Tonality 3/5; Resolution 2.5/5; Bass 3/5; Spatial 3.5/5)

Bias Score: 3/5 - I’m okay with this IEM.

Carat_summary.jpg

Updated: March 17, 2024

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #97,282 of 106,709
This lines up with my prior experiences with modular friction-fit connectors - that they tend to rob musicality. For an extra $46 I’d strongly recommend spending the extra on the ASOS+ if you’re considering purchasing either cable, as I would personally never dream of purchasing an expensive cable with friction-fit connectors because what you gain in convenience IMHO simply isn’t worth putting up with sound that's more robotic, mechanical & less natural. Of course it’s easy for me to say that given all my IEMs use 2pin connectors and my sources have 4.4mm sockets, but that’s very much by design.

As you said the IEM have a push fit connection and the cable to amplifier connection is by way of simple contact points.

What is the logic behind three rather than two non soldered connections robbing musicality and sounding robotic, mechanical and less natural ?

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #97,283 of 106,709
As you said the IEM have a push fit connection and the cable to amplifier connection is by way of simple contact points.

What is the logic behind three rather than two non soldered connections robbing musicality and sounding robotic, mechanical and less natural ?
When you want to have one cable to use on different sources instead of having a lot of different cables. I have 3 modular cables now and while I can't test it properly I guess the modularity does cost some quality but the ease of use is better and you only need 1 cable instead of two or three?
I decided I will replace one of my modular cables but I am not sure if that is because of the modularity or simply because or the cable itself. On some comparisons with another cable I just found it lacking. The other cable isn't modular but also has a wildly different set of materials.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #97,284 of 106,709
When you want to have one cable to use on different sources instead of having a lot of different cables. I have 3 modular cables now and while I can't test it properly I guess the modularity does cost some quality but the ease of use is better and you only need 1 cable instead of two or three?
I decided I will replace one of my modular cables but I am not sure if that is because of the modularity or simply because or the cable itself. On some comparisons with another cable I just found it lacking. The other cable isn't modular but also has a wildly different set of materials.

I understand the purpose of them and I have several.

While it isn’t fashionable to say so, I like to understand the “science” behind a claim and I don’t get what is significantly different in transferring only millwatts and microvolts through two contact connections and one soldered one versus three contact connections.

I think it is pretty obvious that I don’t believe there actually is a difference when the power being transferred is so tiny. If there are legitimate electrical properties that explain the perceived sonic difference of three versus two contact type connections I am all ears otherwise I will leave it there.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #97,285 of 106,709
Cross post from ISN thread:
I know it's not a real discovery but...
This combo: ISN Neo 5 + Fiio M15S + ISN CS02
What a great synergy - beautiful, sounds more lively and dynamic than anything I ever heard!
Brings me to tears :cry::ksc75smile:
IMG_20240317_132003.jpg

Like in that Daft Punk song - it truly gives life back to music :smiley:

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #97,286 of 106,709

While it isn’t fashionable to say so, I like to understand the “science” behind a claim and I don’t get what is significantly different in transferring only millwatts and microvolts through two contact connections and one soldered one versus three contact connections.

I think it is pretty obvious that I don’t believe there actually is a difference when the power being transferred is so tiny. If there are legitimate electrical properties that explain the perceived sonic difference of three versus two contact type connections I am all ears otherwise I will leave it there.
Well it might be down to the quality and material of the plug. Like how people here can hear differences between different plugs. and two contact type vs 3 is still a 50% increase so yeah. But I am not a science guy. Maybe someone else can help with this.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #97,287 of 106,709
Ey, you made a good point and made me rethink about my impulse to blind buy Pilgrim.

1660143717023.jpeg

Anyhow, the world collided today: Discovery thread talks about Elysian. Now, if only water coolers talk about Simgot or Penon, then we are even.
I am a charter member of the Watercooler thread and I am here. Check out my signature. I have some very high performing IEMs as well as some Simgot , Penon , etc.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #97,288 of 106,709

True, the power that is transmitted to IEMs are few mW with the voltages of around 1 V and few mA currents.
Then different metals of interconnects, including cables, can matter due hererojunction potentials that for metals are best described and understood in thermocouples: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple
Potentials generated by metal heterojunctions are relatively small in household perception, just several mV. Yet, if you compare these potentials to the noise floor currently claimed for many sources (DAC, DAPs) at 1-5 microvolts, than those heterojunction voltages can be very consequential.
So if one randomly connects all fancy palladium, rhodium connectors - the temperature-dependent noise is added to the chain.
Surely, beleivers just beleive in what they think they hear.
Beleivers are highly profitable, so I very much understand great efforts to protect, to insulate them from the truth, and to maximally support the mantra of beliefs.

Yet, the aggresive recent behaviour of the mass marketers, like caboose, defending Penon rights to issue the very best new cable each time that always makes so much difference compared to alk other previous cables (ans can be the one that will fit all you needs... until the next new cable) seems totally out of place and appaling even on top of all the expected bias....

By the same token, an important related aspects is that good solders can matter (I would personally prefer solderless gold-plated contacts for my ideal circuitry, and gold plated contacts are mostly used to minimize heterojunction potentials), yet the fact that some people can hear solders, especially in speaker cables, does not totally surprise me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #97,289 of 106,709
I disagree. For the most part, headphone reviews are subjective. He attempts to measure based on whatever variation of harman he utilizes. Primarily, his review of DAC/AMPS are as solid as you can get. He provides accurate measurements without all the nonsense. Like many debates here, I think it can all be based on the user’s perception. However, he’s also been helpful in advising people that spending absurd amounts of money is not always the solution. For example, there is absolutely no reason to buy a Chord Dave DAC. Unless you want the honor of saying you have one.
Agree on DACs and amps. And his measurements of headphones are valuable.

But listen to ANY of Amir's recommended EQ fixes for headphones he reviews and considers tonally off, and you'll learn his preferred sound signature is quite a ways from neutral or even Harman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back