The discovery thread!
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #97,246 of 106,516
They are certainly worth taking into consideration,
at least from my point of view.
I would definitely...but with all that I have on my mind, and headphones too...it's hard to ketch-up with all :)

Still...you have a really beautiful pair of IEMs!

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #97,248 of 106,516
I had a question for the lovelies of this thread. Do you guys trust groups of reviewers like rtings for reviews or a single reviewer?
I don't trust Rtings for anything. Some of its highest-recommended headphones have sounded like crap to me.

I'm not implying that Rtings' review process is flawed. But its reviewers' ears and mine may as well be on different planets.

After a while, I have learned the sound preferences of many YouTube and blog reviewers. With that knowledge, I can use their opinions to help shape mine. If a dude who likes similar sonic qualities as me likes an IEM or headphone, chances are I'll dig it, too. If a dude who is a massive basshead or loves detail over everything else likes a set, I probably won't enjoy it. I value musicality, tone and timbre over everything, and I think I know the reviewers who do basically the same.

I also think I've been around long enough to know the guys who like EVERYTHING they review and to factor in their opinion into mine, but with a healthy shake of salt.

No different than with music reviewers, either. There are some reviewers who grade every new album four or five stars, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #97,249 of 106,516
I don't trust Rtings for anything. Some of its highest-recommended headphones have sounded like crap to me.

I'm not implying that Rtings' review process is flawed. But its reviewers' ears and mine may as well be on different planets.
Which can make sense when you know what the frequency response they’re grading headphones/IEMs to is. I don’t go to Rtings for audio reviews cause there’s not a lot of information for me to gleam from them. TVs? I’ll go there all day, though

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #97,252 of 106,516
No sibilance noticed so far bro, a bit of extra energy i would say. It's not peaky sharp for me.
I see.. i think I will like them, little bit bitey energy. They are seems close to perfect tuning.

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #97,253 of 106,516
Can you tell us which are those, so we can avoid them? :)

Cheers!
A few examples: Rtings loves the HD 800s. I do not. The soundstage is so wide that it's feels artificial. It's a parlor trick, not realistic.

Rtings also mentions Philips Fidelio X2HR as an honorable mention audiophile can. Gulp. Nope.

I think the Edition XS is an excellent value at $500. But the typical HiFiMan tuning -- slightly recessed mids, a bit elevated upper mids and lower treble to create air and detail -- doesn't work for me. Rtings loves them. Same with the Sundara.

Rtings tends to like airy, treble-oriented or V-shaped sound signatures. Its love of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is an example. Treble murder. An honorable mention pick in that class by Rtings is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, one of the worst V-shaped sound signatures I've heard and easily the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever worn. Another example of Rtings love of air over note weight: The Blessing 3 is its favorite IEM.

Again, I'm not ripping Rtings. But its idea of great sound and mine do not jive at all. I'm not a basshead. But I enjoy note weight, punchy mid-bass instead of the constant warm wetness of massive sub-bass, and treble with detail but a slight roll-off near the top. I also can't stand shouty upper mids, especially with vocals. I'm the classic neutral-warm dude, with an emphasis on tone, timbre and tuning over ultimate technicalities.

I want my headphones and IEMs to carry me away into music nirvana in which I'm thinking about the music as a whole, not as individual parts. I don't want them to be a microscope, revealing every last detail, because for every detail I hear that pleases me, there will be an equal amount that irritates me -- especially in poor recordings. I can't stand those sonic distractions.

Just give me a warm bath in the sweet music, man ...

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #97,254 of 106,516
Hm, thanks; I'm late to the party because I already have an HD800S, and to me, they are stunning headphones.

I never listened to the other headphones you mentioned, but I have one Audio Technica in mind for the future: ATH-AWKG.

I deeply hope it's not crap; otherwise, I'll be roasted for the price:)

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #97,255 of 106,516

After a while, I have learned the sound preferences of many YouTube and blog reviewers. With that knowledge, I can use their opinions to help shape mine. If a dude who likes similar sonic qualities as me likes an IEM or headphone, chances are I'll dig it, too. If a dude who is a massive basshead or loves detail over everything else likes a set, I probably won't enjoy it. I value musicality, tone and timbre over everything, and I think I know the reviewers who do basically the same.

I also think I've been around long enough to know the guys who like EVERYTHING they review and to factor in their opinion into mine, but with a healthy shake of salt.

No different than with music reviewers, either. There are some reviewers who grade every new album four or five stars, which is ridiculous.

Rtings is … interesting. They have the most objective approach to headphone and IEM review, exceeding the likes of ASR (Amir) and only exceeded by a few like Earfonia and another reviewer on ASR who is also an audio engineer. For example, Rtings (think that they) can quantify the soundstage by measuring how good the treble of headphones mimic what the HATS hear when facing a two channel setup (or maybe be more speakers, I’m not sure).

Despite all of that, their results and recommendations are all over the place. Maybe it is them who are consistent and we are the ones all over the place?

Not sure if I have ever heard HD800S in all of its glory. I remember trying to use Apple dongle to demo it back in the day 😂 It’s the most comfortable headphone I have ever used. It’s wide alright, but maybe because of my poor choice of DAC/amp, I hear very little depth and layering.

@fidgeraldo the brand Audio Technica gives me nightmares 😂 Folks on youtube (not audiophile, the techy ones) sang praises about the M50x line. I got myself M20x. It feels like a torture device. Sound is alright though.

Maybe the “real” ATH headphones would be better.

It would be interesting if we take all the reviews published by a reviewer, and somehow generate a “signature”. We can see how that signature shifts with time as well. For example, @ToneDeafMonk seems to enjoy flatter sound signature more and more lately.

What would be my signature, in the opinion of lovely folks here?

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #97,256 of 106,516
The Penon Black Lacquer are some of the strangest ear-tips I have ever used. They become stranger and more wonderful weeks after I reviewed them? Weird? The way they don't want to come out of my ears, like the IEM is permanently lodged........I know I have an air-tight fit.
Air tight fit no matter the length of the nozzle, and makes some of the trickest fits fit. If you have an IEM that was bothering you with fit, these are the tips to remedy that situation. Now nothing is perfect, but these will MOST LIKELY (caveat) work for you?

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #97,257 of 106,516
Not sure if I have ever heard HD800S in all of its glory. I remember trying to use Apple dongle to demo it back in the day
God has a special punishment for such act. Just saying :beerchug:

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #97,258 of 106,516
Do you use the stock cable? I’ve been considering a purchase of the 5005. I want to stay in mid-fi purgatory as long as possible. They use the custom mmcx connection like the IE600, right?
Nooo...that cable is THE SUCK! I use the IE600 cable. Fits perfect and snug, and just feels so much better. It's got three filters, so if you like ice pick treble with almost Tansio Mirai Sands level detail retrieval, there is a filter for you. Like more balance, with still a tad of spice up top for excellent retrieval and stage, then the middle filter rocks. Want absolutely FUN AND PUNCHY DEEP HITTING BASS with polite treble? The bass filter will satisfy you! So Yeah, versatile IEM that sounds great, but garbage cables included.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #97,259 of 106,516
Yes i received the SR5 this morning, listening to them with the stock cable, Final tips andtempotec V3 (balanced output)..the fit with them is almost perfect (rare for me with my small ears)..i suffer from Tinnitus so my perception might be biased
How on God's green Earth can you have small ears and get a perfect fit from the SR5? They are massive shells, and even with my massive and wonky ear canals and ears, they were so uncomfortable! I guess you have bigger ears than you think?

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #97,260 of 106,516
Maybe the “real” ATH headphones would be better.
Audio Technica ATH-AWKG.png

This is not the real deal??? Hmmm:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back