The discovery thread!
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #97,231 of 101,342
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #97,232 of 101,342
Probably because of the 8khz peak, is it like hint of sibilance? Sharp as in tizzy sharp?
No sibilance noticed so far bro, a bit of extra energy i would say. It's not peaky sharp for me.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #97,233 of 101,342
The other thing is vocals. I know others have stated that the SR5 does female vocals well, but I would go so far as to say they do male vocals sublime too. Just nice positioning and clarity? They are maybe one of the best sound per dollar in Classical playback too. The underdog! The Classical works because of the cleanliness and air.... IMO. But folks would understand the subtle U shape response is offering a tilt to the upper end, yet done in a polite but still fairly technical way, which again promotes it as a budget provider of treble detail and air.
With cable:
$134.10 10%OFF | Sound Rhyme SR5 1 Dynamic + 4 Balanced Armature Drivers Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Audiophile In-ear Erphones IEMs
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIRQnlB

US $152.82 | SOUND RHYME SR5 In-ear 1DD+4BA Hybrid Drivers with 2pin 0.78mm Interchangeable Cable for Ape Flac Music HIFI Quality Earphones
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjzHYlL

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #97,234 of 101,342
Which settings do you prefer on the Okavango?

Not listened to them for a long time, i have the custom version and found the treble too bright for my tastes (may be i will give them another chance)
I really wonder if the custom version has a different treble and upper midrange, because this playback is on the smoother side, smoother than the SR5 and showing well separated high notes, just because of the number of BAs in place, but no way are they bright, unless you had a real issue with brightness?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #97,235 of 101,342
The other thing is vocals. I know others have stated that the SR5 does female vocals well, but I would go so far as to say they do male vocals sublime too. Just nice positioning and clarity? They are maybe one of the best sound per dollar in Classical playback too. The underdog! The Classical works because of the cleanliness and air.... IMO. But folks would understand the subtle U shape response is offering a tilt to the upper end, yet done in a polite but still fairly technical way, which again promotes it as a budget provider of treble detail and air.
Still the male vocals are a little thin, and that’s the thing you at times can’t have everything, especially at the SR5 price, but yes male vocals are not quite as good as female vocals, yet still decent. IMO Funny that male vocals have a tad bit of thinness to them? But only slight?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #97,236 of 101,342
I almost bought these from Leonarfd...but at the last second, I held...
They look so...nice :)

Amazing! Thanks!

They look beautiful to me, even with the standard shell.

But beyond that, they sound wonderfully musical.
And they have customizable tuning.

They are certainly worth taking into consideration,
at least from my point of view.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #97,237 of 101,342
Okavango was best for me with up down or down down, using the second switch up was to bright in the treble. Can just be how sensitive you are for that region.
Which settings do you prefer on the Okavango?

Not listened to them for a long time, i have the custom version and found the treble too bright for my tastes (may be i will give them another chance)

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #97,239 of 101,342
The AKG N5005 with Penon Lacquer tips has some of the best bass of any IEM. PERIOD. Geddy Lee says so.
Do you use the stock cable? I’ve been considering a purchase of the 5005. I want to stay in mid-fi purgatory as long as possible. They use the custom mmcx connection like the IE600, right?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #97,240 of 101,342
I really wonder if the custom version has a different treble and upper midrange, because this playback is on the smoother side, smoother than the SR5 and showing well separated high notes, just because of the number of BAs in place, but no way are they bright, unless you had a real issue with brightness?
It might be the custom version that leads to a "metallic "timber " to my ears , the SR5 with Final Audio Type E seems more organic and sweeter to me (may be the difference between the tips (which are taming the bass and the custom shell))

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #97,241 of 101,342
The other wild thing about the SR5 is the stage is set-up fully by the source. This means get it a medium staged source and experience that, get it a wide source and you will witness thick and big right to left reporting of stage.......even profound up and down action........sorry.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #97,243 of 101,342
It might be the custom version that leads to a "metallic "timber " to my ears , the SR5 with Final Audio Type E seems more organic and sweeter to me (may be the difference between the tips (which are taming the bass and the custom shell))
That is amazing, totally the opposite here today. And all day, literally all day with these comparisons. I wouldn’t be surprised if custom sounds different? Hmm? But your SR5 is Universal, right?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #97,245 of 101,342
I had a question for the lovelies of this thread. Do you guys trust groups of reviewers like rtings for reviews or a single reviewer?
I think this question has depths and is far to be black-and-white.

I do not trust 100% anyone, but I know I do not have enough knowledge, fund and especially time to try out everything. Also, I am not sure I will hear the difference between a ~400 and ~1000 USD IEM and therfore everything above 400 USD for IEMs and 100 USD for cables is pure theory for me.

OK, I started with some KZ models (ZS10 Pro, just bought about 2 weeks before the ZS10 Pro X came out). The PR2 OG I still use (on ZA09 Pro; only for walking and doing chores). I have a spare one (EDX 2, if I remember correctly).

Sometimes I buy blind: sometimes I got a "catch" (Hidizs MP145 on KS for 109 USD or NiceHCK F1 PRo for about 89 USD) sometimes not really (the newest iteration of Aria, named Aria2; not bad sounding, but the paint is chipping badly).

Sometimes I wait for opinions and especially graph. For example, ORIVETI OH700VB is praised very high however I am quite sure it is not for me; maybe OD200 is, but I did not feel the need to buy it.

I risked to buy TSMR-X (most expensive one I have); let me say, I love it. Yeah, I have been consumed by the hype for this one :wink: , but resisted a hype for many IEMs in the last 12 month.

Same for DACs (and I hope I can resist buying new ones). iBasso DC04 (my best and most loved one) is definately better than Simgot DEW4X in terms of resolution: if I can hear it, most of you can. The DEW4X is not a bad one, just a category lower than the DC04 Pro (also price differs).

DAPs: easy choice: not for me. I use my phone (~768Gb storage altogether) to store and play music, no question asked. A DAP can know and do anything: I am not interested.

Same for dektop stuff: some IEMs are a bit loud for me even at the default 40/100 on iBasso DC04Pro, so I have a real room for any improvement: honestly, I do not get when somebody says a planar needs a desktop because it can not have enough juice from a DAC. KZ PR2 on KZ AZ09 Pro: yeah, I listen to it close to max volume, but this is an only-lonely exception for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back