The discovery thread!
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #95,911 of 106,548
Collabs aside the moment Ziigaat releases the vanilla HBB Jupiter without that collab tax its a day 1 blind buy for me.
That collab is overpriced.

As far as collabs go they are generally overpriced. Honestly I’ve sold or returned most of them that I have as I want to consolidate my collection.

I think an influencer can help with a collab and everyone can win. A delicate subject. Yet why not live in a world where we all win. I heard of another collab where a it’s 200 and the fee is only $1. Honestly life is short. Enjoy your gear. You only have one set of earphones.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #95,912 of 106,548
I haven't reviewed it, I want to. But for some reason I always have promised reviews I have to do instead 😅

It's not the most technical set, but delivers a warm fun tonality that aligns with my taste. Also like the design and how nice the maker Musashi is.

200$ is a bargain.
Oh great. I remembered where I saw that discount post. Have reached out on the forum.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #95,913 of 106,548
Haha.. Hope the consolidated Aful (all 3 iems) review is at least coming out this year!

I did record that review. Speaking of which, where did I put the raw footages of that one ...

As far as collabs go they are generally overpriced. Honestly I’ve sold or returned most of them that I have as I want to consolidate my collection.

I think an influencer can help with a collab and everyone can win. A delicate subject. Yet why not live in a world where we all win. I heard of another collab where a it’s 200 and the fee is only $1. Honestly life is short. Enjoy your gear. You only have one set of earphones.

I personally always wonder what people like us can offer manufacturers when building IEMs. Unless we are DIY IEM builders as well, otherwise we can only offer the "taste." I doubt our taste is better than the tuners who put food on the table based on the IEMs they make. (Imaging I offer tuning advices to Lee of Elysian Acoustics Labs. I'm laughing imaging that :dt880smile:)

So maybe it's the name and fanbase that manufacturers are after.

I wonder whether there is any artesan who can truely make an IEM from scratch, one off, for a customer. I dream of a 10dB IEM with cutting edge Tribrid or Quadbrid configuration.

Anyhow, still waiting for Crinacle Blessing 3: Dusk. The Blessing 3 would be a great IEM with a retune. Such a missed opportunity.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #95,914 of 106,548
I thought the Nuo had a bit too sharp treble when I got it. But that was from my desktop stacks.
Using them now on my bluetooth AZ09 pro, and that sharpness is gone! Perfect match, small and comfy when you're out and about.
Finally I can really enjoy the Duo cause I really like the tuning, aside from that sharpness.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #95,915 of 106,548
Beauties arrived.

Ibasso 3t-154 is here and I'll share my quick impressions.

First thing first, the biggest size ever! Ever i had in my collection. Very strange shaped body. I'll share it along with mp145(considered to have a huge body) to give you an idea.

PSX_20240222_104329.jpg

These are not for everyone from the size perspective and I mean it!

PSX_20240222_104424.jpg

Due to having slightly short nozzle, you'll end up with fit issues considering that your ear is already big enough to fit that huge shells.

Here's the Berilium plated big 15.4mm DD looking at you.

PSX_20240222_105114.jpg

Paying attention to the shell, I was sure that I won't have issues like driver flex seeing that three holes jn front of the driver. There are also two other behind if you look closely.

Seeing big sized DDs is sth rare recently and ibasso does sth unique. I won't share the box and accessories as I'm on a business trip and I had to select a few IEMs to use them on the go.

I love single DDs and I love their capabilities. I used to think that they can do the magic if a very rigid material and good magnets being used.

However, time to adjust my observations again. Because out of the box they're just okay soundwise. Considering the price range they target, there's a tough competition. Seeing the size of them, considering the tuning and technicalities, ibasso might struggle.

When I was unboxing, I was impressed by the presentation, included tips(at least 4 different sets of tips), and cable. I ended up using my favorite wide bore bqeyz blue tips anyways but good to have additional.

The cable is good. But! Just like the size of the shells, what a big plugs they have! Feels like ibasso wanted to go big! They're very rigid also when I plugged them into my m11 plus ess. I have the case ony dap and the perimeter of the plugs is so big that they're pushing on the edges the leather case of dap. Force is required to plug and unplug so I wanted to go safe before I loosen the female ports.

Finally the sound. 3t-154 lacks presence, air, and depth. The rest is good including the bass which doesn't dominate much considering the huge size, the strength/size of the DDs.

Lack of presence and air is a big downside for me as I die for soundstage, pinpoint imaging. Due to the lack of presence, it's not clear where the instruments are. How far behind for example. There's a little bit of similarity to the Timeless OGs shallow depth. They're close to you and intimate.

When a youtuber reviewing (if I'm not mistaken Akros), he said that he likes that intimate presentation as he doesn't want his attention to divert during long sessions. I'm opposite of this. When the stage is intimate, the listening experience is not fun for me. Having a bigger stage means there'll be more space to put different instruments, effects without being too crowded, congested. It makes you not understand/appreciate what has been done with that particular sound you hear. Knowing that the bass is usually dominating the area in the middle right behind the solist, intimate soundstage is a PITA with crowded tracks.

Lacking extention/air leads to that intimate presentation most of the time. 3t-154 has a very strong roll off after 9khz. That affects the tallness and depth mostly. When you don't hear the extension of a sound, the brain has difficulty with calculating how far is that. When this situation occurs, you hear it like there's a wall behind you and instruments are located all in the same distance.

There's that problem with 3t-154. Bass is good, mids are good but treble and air makes it harder to justify the purchase. Adding the size of the shells, short nozzle with fit issues, I'd say be careful before buying it.

I honestly had great experiences with big DDs but almost all of them had an issue with somewhere usually a peak or roll off happening in the tuning.

Audio-Technica ckm1000 had a terrible sibilance causing by the peak around 6/7khz region making everything metallic, unbearable so I had to use EQ.

Sony Ex1000 had that 6khz peak again and also a roll off in the high end region so I had to to use EQ as well.

And now I use EQ again for 3t-154. But I had to give a really strong boost especially after 13khz regions that adds extension/resolution and air. It's not wow comparing it to the two mentioned above but I'll give time to my brain to adjust.

Thanks for reading.

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #95,916 of 106,548
I personally always wonder what people like us can offer manufacturers when building IEMs. Unless we are DIY IEM builders as well, otherwise we can only offer the "taste." I doubt our taste is better than the tuners who put food on the table based on the IEMs they make. (Imaging I offer tuning advices to Lee of Elysian Acoustics Labs. I'm laughing imaging that :dt880smile:)

So maybe it's the name and fanbase that manufacturers are after.

Maybe maybe not. For eg: both of us like Aful P8. I have already mentioned how I like your reviews. So, in case, the p8 was launching now, and you gave them your suggestions on the soundstage and stuff (Aful One tuning with the other jazz). They release that version. There would be (idiots!) like me who would consider buying that. Clearly, the manufacturer hadn't thought of those tweaks as you had, else they would have released it. So, it can work. It will come down to the trust in the reviewers and (a large or someone respected for their views) fan base he gathers for a manufacturer to get interested. And someone who isn't lazy would help; not a PHD teacher in Melbourne who can't edit an hour of raw footage!

Also, someone else said 'oh maybe i (he) should also start reviewing to get the samples'. By all means, go ahead. Reviewing isn't easy or understanding all that goes into sound to be able to explain it properly in first place, and in a way that maintains interest of people. If one can, and one is able to sustain interest, build respect - go for it. Else, it sounds like sour grapes.

A film reviewer in a newspaper isn't buying tickets. They get free screenings. Nothing wrong with it. Films are still cheap; so not a right comparison. Let's say car/bike review magazines; they are not buying everything. So, I have no issue in the freebies as such. What they do with it or do to get it is more crucial. It's not as if integrity has to be lost in anything one does. And I don't have to feel all reviewers have sold their souls.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #95,917 of 106,548

I forgot which sub $100 iem, but during his explanation video, crin (or hbb i forgot) outright stated that their cut is $5 per iem.
Somewhere around 10% of the iem price if i recalled it right.
Another "collab", i forgot which one but crin only given undisclosed consultation fee.

for the budget segment, the collaborator cut won't be anything crazy,

pricier segment however, i'm not sure of.
Hifri noted that he could make fancy ass spec iem for under $200 and that already include his profit margin.
he muses on how big the profit margin for that $200~$500 iems. (or bellsing/budget driver kilobuck like some campfire)

Unfortunately unlike many sub$100 or sub$50 collab with quite success.
Only few $100+ collab got proper success, with the failing one ended got that stigma of overpriced thing.
Pretty sure many HBB expensive sets still stuck on this phase, with heyday being the exception.

failing iem is failing iem and in fast chifi world, last week ok-ish iem is stale by the next week
but if you have your name on that failing or stale middling iem, well its their risk.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #95,919 of 106,548
Sony boy..."The Godfather" :)

I am halfway to catching you...in a couple of days, I will be there :wink:

Ok...not completely half the way...I don't have Sony DAP in that calculation. :)

Double edged sword.
Oooo...I like swords...and knives; that's where my love for steel/metal IEM shells comes from.

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #95,920 of 106,548
The NiceHCK Himalaya should go on sale today or tomorrow. Where if you followed the F1 Pro success they finally arranged to go on sale at Amazon, as well as the regular NiceHCK retail venues. The USD price I'm sorry I don't know exactly but 2500 RMB. It's my unicorn IEM at the moment, 12 grams of solid titanium alloy each, and they are impossible to scratch? I know what sound you like, and these may be your purchase of the year?
These are honestly quite tempting thanks to their looks. Any graph out?

I'm in that position right now, I really enjoy the Galileo but I just wished it had a little more body to it with a bit more bass and bass extension. Still enjoying the vocals on it though, they're super nice.

Would definitely be keen to see what people feel is a good logical upgrade from the Galileo, if you guys have any recommendations.
I tried the Galileo very briefly and it is wonderfully dull. In a good way! It also looks fine, so not a bad little package at all. Nearly bought it.

Slight curve ball, but I would suggest the (sadly discontinued, so 2nd hand) AüR Aure as its more mature and hyperactive (in comparison) sibling with plenty of low end extension and more treble energy with decent extension. They are different but in all the right ways. Musicality is Aure's strength. Vocals are truly stupendous, so is all acoustic music in general. It handles lots of genres enjoyably.

Crin talking smack about Simgot on twitter the same day this thing shows up on linsoul...

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kiwi-ears-x-crinacle-singolo

Better sounds good, it's ugly af.

tweet for reference:
"Ssh ssshhh ... hey kid, what if I told you Sour Worms suck! Try this instead"

Thank you! I always enjoy reading your reviews. They are so detailed and tell me everything I'd want to know about a product. I particularly like your use of spider graphs when comparing IEMs. It's one of the more useful tools I've seen.
@Leonarfd is the true goat. Useful content is getting rarer by the day.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #95,921 of 106,548
Steven Segal was asked in an "interview" who the greatest fighter of all time (GOAT) is (it was about MMA),
and he was like, "Hmmm..." (in his mind, what kind of question is that)...

The guy persisted on the question, and Steven Segal told him...

"Of all time is a very long time", you can't ask me that...that time, all time goes way way back, and it's not nearly over... :wink:

So, when I hear Goat, the only Goat I can remember is the designing group from Slovenia..their logo is GOAT, isn't it?

Leo is a very good reviewer, though!

Cheers! :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #95,922 of 106,548
Got Hidisz MP145 last day.
Still can't say I have found a planar GOAT, so far S15 my favorite of the ones I have tried 🤔

1000025434.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #95,923 of 106,548
Still can't say I have found a planar GOAT, so far S15 my favorite of the ones I have tried 🤔

Not only is Leonard a highly skilled reviewer and overall awesome human being, his tastes in music are also :fire:.
I absolutely LOVE Polyphia!
Saw them last year and was blown away...
Tim Henson is one of the best rock guitarists on the planet, IMHO.
Their newest album is also top-notch.

I'm excited about the new MGMT album about to drop as well.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #95,924 of 106,548
The rampant collaborations seem to have seriously degraded the credibility of several formerly high profile YouTube personalities as well. It’s just bad news. The makers shouldn’t be working with reviewers.
It's the other way around: reviewers shouldn't be working with manufacturers. It's the reviewers who end up coming out worse for wear in the deal. It's the reviewer's brand that gets exploited (and devalued IMO). Unless they plan on leaving their reviewer gigs to pursue work elsewhere in the audio industry, they need to be careful about how they maintain credibility.

Doing collabs muddies the waters and makes people ask questions about their underlying motivations for praising or deriding a particular brand. Just doesn't seem a wise thing for reviewers to do unless they would rather be "taste consultants" for these companies full time.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #95,925 of 106,548

I love the planar tonality, but by itself it could never fully satisfy my bass needs. Fully onboard with planar hybrids, I am learning those give me the bass I need while keep the rest of the sound I love.

Should be receiving my Dark Phoenix today, it’s out for delivery. excited to give it a whirl.

Edit - must clarify planar IEMs… my LCD-2C are absolute bass monsters post eq lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back