The discovery thread!
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #95,881 of 104,063
Not a bad price. I was expecting more, but I'll wait for reviews from my colleagues here in the discovery page.
If you really don’t need some sort of amp/dongle to power these like they claim, the price is honestly kinda insane. Excited to see impressions.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #95,882 of 104,063

I was sleepy and read the name as Gigolo.

Hey folks.
I just finished my review on the new flagship DAP HIBY R8 in the beautiful Bordeaux Red, I for one love the R8 II. Feel free to read, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r8-ii.27046/review/33072/

Oh yeah! R8II. Such a great DAP. The alcantara on my surface 3 still holds up until today, after many many years, so I don't think it would be that bad. But true, I'm still wondering whether putting fabric on a DAP is a good idea.

You are fast, mate. I have around 4 hours of raw footage in total that I need to cut and edit, so maybe next year.

Edit: how loud do you listen? Unless the % drain is non-linear, my projection would be 31h Class A Turbo Mode when driving a moderate IEM (MagicOne) using FLAC file. It took like 20 minute to drop 1% battery when streaming YouTube in my test.

Oh no...

Anyway, it's Letshouer's thread problem now.

One of the best recent releases in the sub $200 category imo

High-five mate.

My only complaint is that it does not sound at 100% out of the R3II, so I don't really want to use it as a daily carry.

Crin talking smack about Simgot on twitter the same day this thing shows up on linsoul...

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kiwi-ears-x-crinacle-singolo

Better sounds good, it's ugly af.

tweet for reference:

It's official, I'm the only one disliking the EM6L :dt880smile: So that's why Simgot does not trust my ears anymore.

Fingercrossed that KiwiEars would have another hit. I still don't understand how the company who tuned Orchestra Lite consistently produced questionable tuning and needs to rely on Crin to help with the tuning. The Orchestra Lite had such a lovely midrange.

Also, what's the selling point of the Singolo when Crin has Truthear Zero in his portfolio? No one is going to care about Crin style tuning when it's been done to death.

Depends on which tuning style. The new one based on 5128 (the Zero Red) sounds very nice. Full, musical, yet correct. It's a shame that that IEM is so mid when it comes to technical performance, despite having 2DD with good crossover design.

Anyhow, I'm sending that IEM back to my friend without review. I love that IEM and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with larger ear holes. But I have too much of a conflict of interest to review that one.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #95,883 of 104,063
Also, what's the selling point of the Singolo when Crin has Truthear Zero in his portfolio? No one is going to care about Crin style tuning when it's been done to death.
If Crin's name and tuning didn't sell, then companies would have stopped collabs with him after his first.

But I agree with all here. Not a good look for Crin to bash Simgot on the same day his new collab drops. That's not a coincidence. I didn't care for the EA500 LM that much and think the hype train is chugging so hard that sparks are shooting from the rails, but that's indicative of my tuning preferences, not Simgot's ability to make quality IEMs.

Simgot knows what it's doing.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #95,884 of 104,063
Here is food for thought. Crinacle might have gotten a lot of negative feedback regarding his collab efforts and wanted to look less involved in conflict of interest?
That's a lovely thought. But I'll pass on that hors d'oeuvre, for two reasons.

One, Crin's collabs are popular and often reviewed well, especially the Blessing 2 Dusk and Crin Zero Red. Two, as others have said, Crin seems to have all but given up on the review game to concentrate on collabs and other commercial projects. I don't think he has updated his IEM database online since last August, and that's a lifetime in IEM world. So, I doubt conflict of interest is much of a concern.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #95,885 of 104,063
I completely agree with your impression, it does just feel like the bass and upper treble is chopped off a bit, and it becomes quite obvious once you listen to an IEM with that full range again. The one thing I really enjoy about the Galileo is that it's one of the few IEM's which I've heard that can be a little bit brighter leaning, but very smooth and unfatiguing while doing it, others I've tried have had significant peaks or glare to the sound which the Galileo doesn't have. I'm not sure if that's because it has a smooth frequency response or whether it's the lack of upper treble extension, could be both - I could probably live without the extra treble extension if that were part of the reason, but I'd love to have that extra bass just for a bit of body to the sound definitely.

Have you tried the Truthear Hexa? I heard from a friend they're not too dissimilar, but still have meaningful differences.
All great points, especially about the smoothness of the Galileo treble. Could be due to good tuning or the MASSIVE treble roll-off at 10k.

I have not tried the Hexa. It doesn't interest me because I have been told by people I trust that the bass and the note weight are a bit thin. It puts technicalities ahead of musicality, and I want the inverse. I've listened to a few sound comparisons on YouTube -- I know, far from an authoritative source -- and those confirm that advice.

I do own the Truthear Hola. Fun little set with a nice, warmer sound signature, rolled-off treble and solid technicalities in the ultra-budget IEM range. I like it a smidge better than the original 7hZ Zero because it's warmer and a bit less crispy in the treble.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #95,886 of 104,063
All great points, especially about the smoothness of the Galileo treble. Could be due to good tuning or the MASSIVE treble roll-off at 10k.

I have not tried the Hexa. It doesn't interest me because I have been told by people I trust that the bass and the note weight are a bit thin. It puts technicalities ahead of musicality, and I want the inverse. I've listened to a few sound comparisons on YouTube -- I know, far from an authoritative source -- and those confirm that advice.

I do own the Truthear Hola. Fun little set with a nice, warmer sound signature, rolled-off treble and solid technicalities in the ultra-budget IEM range. I like it a smidge better than the original 7hZ Zero because it's warmer and a bit less crispy in the treble.
I have the Hexa and I refer to it as a mini B2D so yes technical over musical. Used to love them but recently went back and listened and they do seem a little lifeless. If you ever want to demo them let me know and I'll send them your way.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #95,887 of 104,063
I have recieved Moondrop May today:
20240221_171403.jpg

Thank you, @lgcubana, for the great prompt. May was definitely an IEM to my valley based on my recent appeciation of Droplet and Chu II, May's drivers, overall aesthetics, and to explore more resolved bass (all objectives were tentatively achieved so far!)

First impressions of May are very positive: most important is that I do not feel that May is a two-driver IEM (as in a common DD + BA configuration) - the integration is that of multidriver IEMs, and for instance recently crinned E6ML may be kind of competitive but less so to my ears in dynamics, extension and agility.

As for the accessories - the case is lovely and at the top of my limited case experience:
20240221_173751.jpg

The tips... well, seemingly implied not to be used (IMLO), I put Clarions right away - sealing well and nice sound so far. Nice fit of the small shell - better than Hexa and Trio for the relative perspective.

The main curiousity of my comparisons was in the cables: just a good 16/24-core one with my main USB DAC (Plus 4), May's supplied USB DAC cable, as well as another Moondrop USB cable (CDSP, bottom center below):
20240221_173808.jpg

I have tried to compare May (top center with its USB cable (bottom right) with the Droplet (top left), Simgot E6ML (bottom right) and KZ ZAT (top left, one of my hybrid favourites so far).

May is great, and using my favourite DAC (Plus 4) worked out the best by far ($100+ DAC vs. almost free DAC, understandably).
May's own USB cable is OK/good, it consumes only 9 mA (50 mW), the Droplet record values are 5 mA (30 mW) for a military-level efficiency. CDSP Moondrop cable was poor at 19 mA, and notably less-refined sound...

May delivers very rich, but nicely resolved bass (love it!); the treble is not shy and more extended than that of E6ML - beating good but shy E6ML left and right, IMO, sorry Crin!
Moondrop passed the Grosse Fuge test very well (I did not expect that at all; my heart there is with the lean all-BA IEMs).

Comparison with ZAT was harder - loved both: ZAT mids/treble feel smoother and more refined, with a tighter more defined bass (in its most lean 0,0 bass settings). While May may be a bit simpler relative to ZAT in smoothness and resolution but not by much at all, and likely smoother and more integrated to many. So May is a bit different but a nice IEM overall - then $50-60 of May with a nice case vs. $85 of ZAT bareboned is very competitive (I could not declare a winner - appreciated both IEMs, while May may be a much easier recommendation for many).

Overall, May is a great IEM - smooth, with a very prominent and extended bass. The DAC cable is good, but not great - your own DACs will likely deliver more for even better special experience.

P. S. In some sense May feel as a much improved generation of KZ ZEX snd ZEX pro. If you liked some aspects of those "EST/MST" KZ drivers, you may appreciate a more refined implementation snd integration of similar agile drivers by Moondrop compact planars.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #95,888 of 104,063
687DF8A0-C167-4C48-A0B6-DE905ADA9B35.jpeg
A2D94557-CD38-42A2-81AA-929272A0D18E.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #95,889 of 104,063
I have recieved Moondrop May today:20240221_171403.jpg
Thank you, @lgcubana, for the great prompt. May was definitely an IEM to my valley based on my recent appeciation of Droplet and Chu II, May's drivers, overall aesthetics, and to explore more resolved bass (all objectives were tentatively achieved so far!)

First impressions of May are very positive: most important is that I do not feel that May is a two-driver IEM (as in a common DD + BA configuration) - the integration is that of multidriver IEMs, and for instance recently crinned E6ML may be kind of competitive but less so to my ears in dynamics, extension and agility.

As for the accessories - the case is lovely and at the top of my limited case experience:
20240221_173751.jpg
The tips... well, seemingly implied not to be used (IMLO), I put Clarions right away - sealing well and nice sound so far. Nice fit of the small shell - better than Hexa and Trio for the relative perspective.

The main curiousity of my comparisons was in the cables: just a good 16/24-core one with my main USB DAC (Plus 4), May's supplied USB DAC cable, as well as another Moondrop USB cable (CDSP, bottom center below):
20240221_173808.jpg
I have tried to compare May (top center with its USB cable (bottom right) with the Droplet (top left), Simgot E6ML (bottom right) and KZ ZAT (top left, one of my hybrid favourites so far).

May is great, and using my favourite DAC (Plus 4) worked out the best by far ($100+ DAC vs. almost free DAC, understandably).
May's own USB cable is OK/good, it consumes only 9 mA (50 mW), the Droplet record values are 5 mA (30 mW) for a military-level efficiency. CDSP Moondrop cable was poor at 19 mA, and notably less-refined sound...

May delivers very rich, but nicely resolved bass (love it!); the treble is not shy and more extended than that of E6ML - beating good but shy E6ML left and right, IMO, sorry Crin!
Moondrop passed the Grosse Fuge test very well (I did not expect that at all; my heart there is with the lean all-BA IEMs).

Comparison with ZAT was harder - loved both: ZAT mids/treble feel smoother and more refined, with a tighter more defined bass (in its most lean 0,0 bass settings). While May may be a bit simpler relative to ZAT in smoothness and resolution but not by much at all, and likely smoother and more integrated to many. So May is a bit different but a nice IEM overall - then $50-60 of May with a nice case vs. $85 of ZAT bareboned is very competitive (I could not declare a winner - appreciated both IEMs, while May may be a much easier recommendation for many).

Overall, May is a great IEM - smooth, with a very prominent and extended bass. The DAC cable is good, but not great - your own DACs will likely deliver more for even better special experience.
does your zat have venting issues? like non-venting?

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #95,890 of 104,063
I have the Hexa and I refer to it as a mini B2D so yes technical over musical. Used to love them but recently went back and listened and they do seem a little lifeless. If you ever want to demo them let me know and I'll send them your way.
Much appreciated, my man! Just may take you up on that someday.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #95,891 of 104,063
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #95,892 of 104,063
I have recieved Moondrop May today:20240221_171403.jpg

20240221_173751.jpg

20240221_173808.jpg

P. S. In some sense May feel as a much improved generation of KZ ZEX snd ZEX pro. If you liked some aspects of those "EST/MST" KZ drivers, you may appreciate a more refined implementation snd integration of similar agile drivers by Moondrop compact planars.
What are the cables, which plugs zat, and yellow one?

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #95,893 of 104,063
My candies are here

IMG_20240222_084744.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #95,894 of 104,063
Hey folks.
I just finished my review on the new flagship DAP HIBY R8 in the beautiful Bordeaux Red, I for one love the R8 II. Feel free to read, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r8-ii.27046/review/33072/

I see you mention 634ears miraouk as one of your top 2 iems. Did you do a review of it? I saw somewhere a discounted price on 'Miroak-II Padauk wood' , not sure exactly how much it was. 200$ perhaps. Is the bass here good (one of those quality,quantity satisfying stuff)? is that 'Miroak-II Padauk wood' worth that?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #95,895 of 104,063
My candies are here

IMG_20240222_084744.jpg

Nice. I just got a set of Penon Liqueur tips for the Neo3 and they’re really good. Really really good. The large seal (got L and XL) and they sound a lot like foams. Impressive. I just ordered a few more sets all in L. These may give the DUNU S&S some serious competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back