The discovery thread!
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #93,001 of 102,854
RIP to your bank account, sir, that is certainly a big hit. But the hours of musical enjoyment are worth more than the money imo.

You also take fantastic images, my friend. These look beautiful.
Definitely going to be worth it <3 Thanks for the appreciation man!!

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #93,002 of 102,854
Today we have a small meetup in my city. Will share images and some impressions later tonight friends.

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #93,003 of 102,854
... and how do they sound?
They sound really good, my two favorite Dongle Dac's as of now are the Colorfly CDA M1P's and said Akliam PD4 Plus.

They complement each other well. M1P is a thicker/lush/velvety analog sound that pairs best with brighter set. The Akliam PD4 Plus is more analytical, separation is better too.

PD4 Plus crushes the Moondrop Dawn Pro for me, and is a step up compared to the Hiby FC4 to my ears.

It's more mobile compared to the cumbersome and heavy M1P as well. Moreover, the controls are all there. Volume up/down, play/pause, and high/low gain
As a nitpick, no onboard filter control (that I know of) and no volume memory.

Finally, the overall value makes this the winner. Got it for $59 shipped

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #93,004 of 102,854
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I'll ask anyway.
Which silicon tips helped in providing a good seal and helped in keeping the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse iem in your ears?

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #93,005 of 102,854
Been enjoying the Sony Pulse Explore buds over the holidays.

Built for gaming and media, they come with a proprietary dongle that allows for lossless audio with a latency much better than Bluetooth.

Unusually they are planar magnetic with drivers from Audeze (still trying to get more info on this and specs) which means they are also very good for music.

Although designed for use with the PS5 they can be used with any bluetooth compatible audio player and with the dongle a PC / Laptop etc. . For my use case I'm primarily using it with a Steam Deck OLED via the dongle & phone via bluetooth.

Unfortunately they have been ripped apart in a fair few reviews I have seen, which is a big shame as I think they are great overall, though could use a few refinements.

Most common complaints were a lack of bass & no ANC, both issues very easily solved with good eartips that seal well (Using Dunu S&S, supplied Sony tips are utter trash).

Speaking of trash, the packaging deserves a dishonourable mention, extremely fragile and near impossible to open up without destroying in the process.

Design: A case of form over function, Playstation 5 themed may look appropriate but results in a somewhat unusual fit and though secure in use listening, talking over the mic can loosen them. A more standard iem form would have worked better here.

Case: PS5 design works much better for the case, though as many reviews noted, a slot or something to hold the dongle would have been an idea. 10 hours charge I believe.

Battery Life: Around 4 hours or so, long enough for standard gaming sessions, though if you are doing a marathon you'll need to switch out for a wired set.

Sound: These sound great and are tuned well. These are proper planars and sound like them. With good eartips you have a natural and authoritative bass.
(One note, due to power requirements you'll need to ramp up the volume on these, to max or near on some devices to get to proper volume.)

Utility: For gaming, these are perfect. Using the dongle I do not notice any latency when playing and they sound fantastic with great 3D positioning. The ability to simultaneously use bluetooth is very useful as can use discord etc. chat and phone and stream music whilst playing.
The mic as its own noise cancelling software and seems to work well.
For music, these are going to be at least as good, probably better than other wireless options sound wise, but lacking vs battery life and fit security. I would consider it more of a bonus feature given those limitations.

Value for money: If these are Audeze Euclid drivers as appears fairly likely, that alone makes them a compelling value at $200/ £200 from one perspective (the Euclid was around $1800 at launch I think). The Sony dongle allows you to banish bluetooth latency and combined with the audio performance makes it worthwhile as a package for sure.
For just listening to music, it could be worthwhile if you can handle the cons, but is a harder ask.

Conclusion: If you want to game wirelessly they are the best option out there imo. Listening to music is also a pleasure but you are limited to sessions. More internal power and a refined design would be welcome in a future iteration, along with proper eartips (!).

1705200820912.png
I'm interested in the overears. They could be an Audeze Maxwell but cheaper.
Also, I have in the Pula 02 and got it in yesterday. So far pretty impressed, but still trying to figure it all out. Beautiful.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #93,006 of 102,854
Which silicon tips helped in providing a good seal and helped in keeping the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse iem in your ears?
azla xelastec. You should opt for one size smaller since these are large.

Dunu S&S are also a candidate.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #93,007 of 102,854
Depends what your problem is, for some it can be small nozzle or short. Also since the Twin Pulse is bullet style that can make it harder also, and for me i have to use the cable over the ear on bullet-style iems. Not hanging down, since this make the seal break.

Some tips that can help and is great for me on harder to fit IEMs:
Spinfit W1 - Slight sticky and soft, and the tip swiwel sort of making the angle of your ear less of a problem.
Spinfit CP100 - Similar as the one above, but sort of more comfortable for me.
AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec - Grippy and secure, also very large in the biggest size.
Tri Clarion - Large could have been larger, but the tip is quite long and it has helped me on a few bullet style IEMs
JVC Spiral Dot - Very soft tip, not so grippy as others above but since since its possible to get in quite large size and is soft it has helped me plenty times.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #93,008 of 102,854
I have with me the Hisenior Mega5-EST, which is priced at 550 USD, if I am not mistaken. There are a few things that are really good with these iems and a few things that are not done the way I would like. First things first, they are very lightweight and easy on the ears for long-term listening.

Going by the graph, this is a pretty nicely tuned set, so tuning is one good aspect here.The bass is really nice on this pair, and the subbass is amazingly done. There is good impact and punch in the lower end, which is not as fast, but I don't think there are any complaints as such. I like how the good impact does not touch the mids at all. Mids are also very rich and have good weight. You won't feel any itch or issue with the treble either, which is quite detailed and maintains it's energy throughout. Overall, quite a likeable tuning! Apart from that, you get a sense of massive sound due to the wide and spacious soundstage.

The problem area is similar to what I had with Tangzu Nezha and also with Hisenior Okavango. The layering is off. When you have a good, wide soundstage and a sense of spaciousness (in both Nezha and Mega5EST), you look for good layering and coherency, and the sound from every instrument should be distinct and should not get eclipsed or lost. I find such a situation to be very unnatural in the sense that the massive sound is of no use if the instruments are not sounding coherently and well separated. In both of these iems, things do not come out as clearly and crisply as they should. There is a hazy and muddled presentation, so there is some issue with the way things are being resolved. This is a more pronounced problem on a busy track where you have sound from many instruments and vocals at the same time. However, changing the cable helps a bit in smoothing out the presentation. Apart from this, I think these iems are really good. The bass is really something praiseworthy.

A price tag of 550 USD is still a bit of a concern for me. It seems high with what the market has to offer today. Also, it does not leave the same lasting impact as Butastur, which is priced nearly the same. Butastur is a lot more musical. If time permits, I will do a detailed review next week.

mega2.JPG

mega1.JPG

mega3.JPG

IMG_9119.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #93,009 of 102,854
Always enjoy reading your comparisons, absolutely do more.

Free Leo the FX15 legend

i have many more thoughts but im gonna spend some time with them and do a full scored review haha. I hope it’s as detailed as yours have been!
Well, he tries to argue with me that Apple Airpods Pro will trounces every IEM I have in my collection :D

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #93,010 of 102,854
Well, he tries to argue with me that Apple Airpods Pro will trounces every IEM I have in my collection :D
Audio geeks are sometimes … interesting :dt880smile: I have immense curiosity about seeing some online geeks in person. Maybe they are nothing like their online persona.

I have with me the Hisenior Mega5-EST, which is priced at 550 USD, if I am not mistaken. There are a few things that are really good with these iems and a few things that are not done the way I would like. First things first, they are very lightweight and easy on the ears for long-term listening.

Going by the graph, this is a pretty nicely tuned set, so tuning is one good aspect here.The bass is really nice on this pair, and the subbass is amazingly done. There is good impact and punch in the lower end, which is not as fast, but I don't think there are any complaints as such. I like how the good impact does not touch the mids at all. Mids are also very rich and have good weight. You won't feel any itch or issue with the treble either, which is quite detailed and maintains it's energy throughout. Overall, quite a likeable tuning! Apart from that, you get a sense of massive sound due to the wide and spacious soundstage.

The problem area is similar to what I had with Tangzu Nezha and also with Hisenior Okavango. The layering is off. When you have a good, wide soundstage and a sense of spaciousness (in both Nezha and Mega5EST), you look for good layering and coherency, and the sound from every instrument should be distinct and should not get eclipsed or lost. I find such a situation to be very unnatural in the sense that the massive sound is of no use if the instruments are not sounding coherently and well separated. In both of these iems, things do not come out as clearly and crisply as they should. There is a hazy and muddled presentation, so there is some issue with the way things are being resolved. This is a more pronounced problem on a busy track where you have sound from many instruments and vocals at the same time. However, changing the cable helps a bit in smoothing out the presentation. Apart from this, I think these iems are really good. The bass is really something praiseworthy.

A price tag of 550 USD is still a bit of a concern for me. It seems high with what the market has to offer today. Also, it does not leave the same lasting impact as Butastur, which is priced nearly the same. Butastur is a lot more musical. If time permits, I will do a detailed review next week.

mega2.JPG

mega1.JPG

mega3.JPG

IMG_9119.jpeg

What a beautiful IEM. Are the faceplate custom?

The hazy imaging sounds like a dealbreaker for me though. How about actual detail retrieval? If you listen to sparse music, can you discern micro details and texture better than an average mid-fi?

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #93,011 of 102,854
I've been listening to the new Tempotec Sonata BHD for a few days now, nothing serious. I had my Hifiman XS on at the time. The single ended was definitely a no go. Had to crank up the volume to extract 'full' sonic qualities from the X. Balanced was no problem, was able to keep the headphone to much lower volumes and keep the X as its best. I managed to compare it briefly with the Dawn Pro, vocals were definitely better sounding on the Tempotec but the Dawn had a bit more width to the sound stage. The Dawn has a bunch of different filters on it, likely the differences could be down to this but it's not something I have tried to investigate.

I think the only real annoyance I have had with the Tempotec is having it plugged into my computer and having to control the volume with the device itself, unable to do so in windows.
Hi, sorry to bother you but do you think the dawn pro is an upgrade over the BHD in terms of sound quality ? I have my BHD on its way from china but I am also considering buying the Dawn Pro in the near future...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #93,012 of 102,854
Shared the following listening impressions in the Watercooler yesterday… over three years later on Head-Fi, I still don’t know how to quote a post to another thread, or indeed multi quote 😂 Copy/paste…

Time to share impressions of Project M. I will say without question that these look, feel, and sound like a set with a much higher price tag - not surprised there is such demand in the markets they launched in.

The mids are positioned quite central, and you can hear the stage extend out a good distance to the left and right by way of the higher frequencies. Mids have a nice weight and provide a heightened sense of emotion with good clarity and plenty of space for instruments and vocals in this region. The bass has excellent depth with accurate texture in both sub and mid bass, I would consider it quite balanced within the overall FR and while not at ‘bass head’ levels, it is certainly capable. The uppers have nice extension with again plenty of air and clarity - they feel spacious and provide an excellent sense of expansive soundstage. I would say the tuning is overall ‘safe’ but not boring - they are not a dramatic or in-your-face exciting set, but well balanced and provide a captivating, atmospheric listening experience for a broad range of genres. They are resolving, but not technical monsters either - you’ve got the details but it’s not the focus, the Project M goes for a more musical direction which is what I would expect. There is good speed, Project M can handle faster and more complex genres with ease. Being a DD mostly, the timbre to my ears sounds very authentic be it strings, percussion, vocals, or any variety of synthesised or electronic music.

Overall a captivating, engaging, and very competent set that in my opinion offers fantastic value in this price range.

Oh and of course important to flag the incredible comfort too - they are very light and fit perfectly in my ears with zero fatigue in longer sessions… plus the clear shells look fantastic.

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #93,013 of 102,854
Hi, sorry to bother you but do you think the dawn pro is an upgrade over the BHD in terms of sound quality ? I have my BHD on its way from china but I am also considering buying the Dawn Pro in the near future...

Side grade. In the short amount of time I have been comparing both there hasn't been anything meaningful between the two that I would see anybody needing to upgrade to one or the other.

The only reason maybe why I would lean towards a Dawn Pro is if you plan on using it with your Desktop computer. I like using Windows to make volume adjustments, this was not possible for me on my BHD, I had to use the device itself to adjust volume. It's not a deal breaker but just a convenience thing. The only other difference is materials used. The BHD is a plastic enclosure with glossy surfaces and the Dawn Pro is a more premium looking and feeling device with its metal chassis and vents.

Edit: There is a app for the Dawn Pro called Moondrop Link which you can adjust gain and choose between a variety of different DAC filters. Must have. The only con with the software is that it is not available yet on the Android/iOS store that I can see.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #93,014 of 102,854
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #93,015 of 102,854
Side grade. In the short amount of time I have been comparing both there hasn't been anything meaningful between the two that I would see anybody needing to upgrade to one or the other.

The only reason maybe why I would lean towards a Dawn Pro is if you plan on using it with your Desktop computer. I like using Windows to make volume adjustments, this was not possible for me on my BHD, I had to use the device itself to adjust volume. It's not a deal breaker but just a convenience thing. The only other difference is materials used. The BHD is a plastic enclosure with glossy surfaces and the Dawn Pro is a more premium looking and feeling device with its metal chassis and vents.

Edit: There is a app for the Dawn Pro called Moondrop Link which you can adjust gain and choose between a variety of different DAC filters. Must have. The only con with the software is that it is not available yet on the Android/iOS store that I can see.
OK, thank you. So not much changes between the two in terms of sound quality to justify buying both.
As for adjusting the volume on Windows, that would be annoying for me. I'll try to ask the AliExpress shop if this is normal or if there are any updates.
Thanks again for your impressions and for saving me $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back