The discovery thread!
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #85,546 of 106,819
I have been thinking of what i should waste my money on next. I have closed down to few iem.

Aur audio aurora
Fatfreq scarlet mini
Thieaudio hype 2
Aful performers 8
Fiio fh7 or fh9

I already own 10th, variations, sr8, est50 and few others. I listen to alot of EDM, and some pop and rnb.
FH9 doesn't work for edm.

FH7 is a masterpiece, that bass is lovely. I would recommend you try them and compare versus FH7s, because they are quite different on how they present the bass. The OG is more rounded-technical, and the S-version is a long bass that usually invaded al frequencies (in a good way)

EDIT. Clarify , that FH7 got a "unnatural" treble, but for edm is not bad at all.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #85,547 of 106,819
I have been thinking of what i should waste my money on next. I have closed down to few iem.

Aur audio aurora
Fatfreq scarlet mini
Thieaudio hype 2
Aful performers 8
Fiio fh7 or fh9

I already own 10th, variations, sr8, est50 and few others. I listen to alot of EDM, and some pop and rnb.
Out of what you have listed, I would suggest the Aurora, but would also suggest you to consider the Penon Turbo.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #85,549 of 106,819
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #85,550 of 106,819
Soon I can make an A/B comparison between Quintet and Hype 2.
I'll comment in a few hours.
first impressions.

Cable more manageable than the hype 2 that has more tension.
The fit is very similar in both. I consider him good at both.
The size is similar in both.

The QUINTET needs a little more power compared to the Hype2 for the same volume...(very little difference).
The Quintet corrects the Hype 2 tendency of many vocals sounding somewhat nasal to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_231118.jpg
    IMG_20230828_231118.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #85,551 of 106,819
This is one interesting: https://uk.1more.com/products/1more-penta-driver-headphones-p50

Dynamic + patented planar drivers? I'm guessing 1more is referring to square planar drivers which seem to be nothing more than marketing fluff.

It's been a long time since 1more has released wired IEMs, I think around 6 years since the Quad Driver came out.

Had the infamous Triple Drivers, it's really the epitome of selling out to reviewers because these IEMs are not good.

Triple Driver evokes that KZ Krila drama from a few weeks ago because most people who reviewed the TD probably got paid :moneybag::money_mouth:

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #85,552 of 106,819
Interesting indeed, but can someone explain where the planar drivers are in this?

I see a DD, BAs, Coil, magnets and structural components, but nothing I recognise as a planar?

nwimg.png

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #85,553 of 106,819

Aur audio aurora
Fatfreq scarlet mini
Thieaudio hype 2
Aful performers 8
Fiio fh7 or fh9

What is lacking with your current setup that you want more?

Since you like EDM, I would recommend Hype2 for sheer fun. But you already have variations, so it’s more of a sidegrade.

The Aurora has lovely bass quality. But it’s more on the smooth and mellow side. Idk if it would lack the “bite” for your music.

P8 is quite linear in its presentation with strong resolution and imaging. But you already have SR8, so it’s more or less a side grade.

FH9 is interesting but also kinda strange in its tuning. It’s a good IEM with “big” bass, even though it does not have a subbass shelf. It’s worth an audition.

Anyhow, yeah, better to save up for something like Elysian Diva or maybe the newly released Symphonium Crimson. You know, modern kilobucks.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #85,554 of 106,819
Interesting indeed, but can someone explain where the planar drivers are in this?

I see a DD, BAs, Coil, magnets and structural components, but nothing I recognise as a planar?

nwimg.png
Those boxy things are micro planar drivers. Astell and Kern uses those in one of their IEMs (Zero1 or something).

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #85,555 of 106,819
Those boxy things are micro planar drivers. Astell and Kern uses those in one of their IEMs (Zero1 or something).
Ah that explains it! Just looked like BAs.

Interested to know what mini planars in BA like format do vs BAs

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #85,557 of 106,819
I'll comment in a few hours.
first impressions.

Cable more manageable than the hype 2 that has more tension.
The fit is very similar in both. I consider him good at both.
The size is similar in both.

The QUINTET needs a little more power compared to the Hype2 for the same volume...(very little difference).
The Quintet corrects the Hype 2 tendency of many vocals sounding somewhat nasal to me.
Let's see... I'll be as precise as possible.

-Comfort: The fit of both seems good to me. I feel like the Hype 2 makes me a bit more of a seal at the cost of feeling my ears with something "inside". Hype 2 wins.

-Design and cable: Very subjective thing but the cable of the Hype 2 is more rigid than the one of the Quintet. I prefer the rigid cable of the Hype 2 but the color and design of the cable of the Quintet.
As for the iem, the Quintet seems more elegant to me. Tie.

-Energy: Similar requirements. A little more the Quintet ... but very very little.

***Sound***

-Sound timbre: I find that the two do not do anything bad but the Quintet sounds a little more realistic in the voices and in general... there is not much difference but here the Quintet wins.

-Spatial Capabilities: I notice that the hype 2 tends to offer a head-based sound with a presentation that doesn't feel congested but doesn't quite expand laterally like (cheap) iems like the Olina did. The Quintet separates everything a little more and I appreciate it. The depth in the Quintet I notice a little better even. The Quintet wins.

-Resolution: Difficult aspect to draw a winner because both sets are quite resolute, both being better than RAPTGO Hook x, for example. I feel like the Quintet can give you a little more resolution in the lows, mids and, where it will be most noticeable, the highs.

-Dynamics: I don't see big differences between the two. Hype 2 with certain music sounds like a lot of fun to me but they look pretty much the same here.

Therefore, for design, performance and sound quality I prefer the quintet.

Can someone make a comparison like this to see if we all come to the same conclusion? (or similar)

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #85,558 of 106,819
20230825_225142_Original - Cópia.jpg

My unboxing and first impressions of the brand new Symphonium Crimson is now live.

Hope you enjoy reading it and have a nice week!

Sheesh, now I really want one. Let’s see what I can sell …

Btw, Mojo2 + 475? That’s a killer source chain you have there.

image.jpg

Hiby R3 MkII landed this morning. Out of the box, it sounds “larger” than the previous R3 Pro Saber, likely due to better amp implementation. We are getting close to the point where tiny sources can drive IEMs close to those overkill big boxes, and I couldn’t be happier.

This is a preproduction unit, so I wouldn’t discuss more about software for now. I will get a Tidal and Qobuz subscription to test the built in streaming feature as well.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #85,559 of 106,819
This is a preproduction unit, so I wouldn’t discuss more about software for now. I will get a Tidal and Qobuz subscription to test the built in streaming feature as well.
Are you able to give them feedback? If so, can you ask them to index music based on the "Album Artist" tag in addition to the "Artist" tag? Unless they've already implemented that feature, which is really unlikely... my Onkyo DAP has that feature, but no HiBy OS has gotten it from what I've seen. I've had to resort to organizing my music files into album artist folders and then browsing the file system in the HiBy OS. Otherwise, any album with tracks by different artists ends up getting broken up when browsing by Artist.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #85,560 of 106,819
Are you able to give them feedback? If so, can you ask them to index music based on the "Album Artist" tag in addition to the "Artist" tag? Unless they've already implemented that feature, which is really unlikely... my Onkyo DAP has that feature, but no HiBy OS has gotten it from what I've seen. I've had to resort to organizing my music files into album artist folders and then browsing the file system in the HiBy OS. Otherwise, any album with tracks by different artists ends up getting broken up when browsing by Artist.

Ey, lucky you! I just checked with the gundam build fighter OST album. It seems to work correctly. The artist tag goes everywhere, but the album artist does point to the right group.

Interesting how different people listen to music. I just play album by album, as if I physically put the CD in my computer.

4F66C966-923B-434F-9746-7E1130842687.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back