The discovery thread!
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #84,586 of 101,571
download (1).jpeg

His current form, mate. Official colour. Me too, I want the original Frieza colour scheme.

Ill also have a BLON Jojo, probably next week.
Glossy purple seems to be all the rage...

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #84,588 of 101,571
What's the tech behind the ECLIPSE driver?
Fully metal W-shaped dome, independent suspension (surround), very strong magnet. Seriously, I can use the magnetic force to push the earpieces around the table (don’t do that, you would scratch the shells). I noticed that the Zen Pro has another layer of DLC (or LCP) coating on top of the metal.

I notice that drivers with independent suspension like ECLIPSE or the woofers in Hiby Zeta and Hidizs MS5 tend to be more “dynamic”. If I remember right, FiiO latest DDs all have independent suspension as well.

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #84,589 of 101,571
Fully metal W-shaped dome, independent suspension (surround), very strong magnet. Seriously, I can use the magnetic force to push the earpieces around the table (don’t do that, you would scratch the shells). I noticed that the Zen Pro has another layer of DLC (or LCP) coating on top of the metal.

I notice that drivers with independent suspension like ECLIPSE or the woofers in Hiby Zeta and Hidizs MS5 tend to be more “dynamic”. If I remember right, FiiO latest DDs all have independent suspension as well.
Kind of like the drivers from Focal?

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #84,590 of 101,571
I'm curious to hear about the ThieAudio Hype2. Looks neat but I wouldn't just blind buy it, especially after the Quartet...
Was there a Hype1?
image.jpg

Tuned like a Monarch II or V16. Clean bass boost. Very impactful. Clear and well defined midrange. Surprisingly good treble extension given that only 1BA handle the upper treble, leading to larger than usual stage.

Very tip dependent due to having short and stubby nozzles.

Not much to complain from my side. But some listeners might find it too lean, if they don’t like the tuning of Monarch II.

Edit: These IEMs are good with Two Step From Hell and that sort of cinematic / epic soundtracks.

Edit2: Micro detailing one step behind the likes of AFUL P8. It might be partially due to the leaner tunining.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #84,592 of 101,571
image.jpg

Tuned like a Monarch II or V16. Clean bass boost. Very impactful. Clear and well defined midrange. Surprisingly good treble extension given that only 1BA handle the upper treble, leading to larger than usual stage.

Very tip dependent due to having short and stubby nozzles.

Not much to complain from my side. But some listeners might find it too lean, if they don’t like the tuning of Monarch II.

Edit: These IEMs are good with Two Step From Hell and that sort of cinematic / epic soundtracks.

Edit2: Micro detailing one step behind the likes of AFUL P8. It might be partially due to the leaner tunining.
BTR5 crew in da place

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #84,594 of 101,571
There's a whole thread on GS Audio. GD3C is a decent 1+2 for $90. Haven't seen any new releases for a while.:L3000:

I’m trying to contact them to see if they are willing to retune the EST one for me at a premium. Would be cool to hear my preference curve with a proper DD+BA+EST config.

From what I gather, the components and construction of these IEMs are top notch, but their tuning is questionable. It’s a good thing that they share the graph up front.

BTR5 crew in da place

Have you tried new settings in the firmware? There is harmonic distortion control now. Good to bring some of that “R2R fuzz” into the sound signature.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #84,595 of 101,571
Anyone tried Gs audio iem from AE?
i try SE12, wasnt bad but a bit intense in treble, so very analytical with their 4 est, ba bass was meh too, fast gentle boom...mids were recessed, thin, bright and overall displeasant and forgotten....still, i enjoy those with electronic and instrument...resolution is just insane...bit like GeekWold GK100 imo

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #84,598 of 101,571
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #84,599 of 101,571
I turned the gaming/movie modes into deep subbass music modes, the volume needs to be turned louder to let the vibrator kick in:

Honesty it is a pretty good sounding set, it's probably my tips or cable so the treble really isn't as bright as suggested by the graphs. The subbass is quite impressive in terms of quantity and resolution is pretty high here.
It's a 4.7ohm btw.
And the impedance and phase after the mod at 11 positions:
1691464923100.png

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #84,600 of 101,571
And the impedance and phase after the mod at 11 positions:
1691464923100.png
How the graph look like now? Is there any "special" effect on sound quality when it's on 11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back