The discovery thread!
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #83,371 of 100,544
Thanks! I think the tuning will fit me well, going by reviews. Never seen an iem with so mixed reviews before though. HBB says they're trash, while others prefer them over Quintet. šŸ¤”
To each his own, there is no definitive answer to ones preference.

I see DZ4 is a very high performing IEM for under $100 bracket, maybe too bright to HBBā€™s liking though, he likes relaxed treble which DZ4 has pretty analytical one.

Iā€˜m usually not a huge DD-only IEM fan, but DZ4 actually reminds me of the dynamic air movements and transients energy of DD is hard to be replicatedšŸ˜„šŸ‘

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #83,372 of 100,544
To each his own, there is no definitive answer to ones preference.

I see DZ4 is a very high performing IEM for under $100 bracket, maybe too bright to HBBā€™s liking though, he likes relaxed treble which DZ4 has pretty analytical one.
HBB complains about not holding up with the speed and complexion of metal, also added reverb inside that is gone I'd he removes the passive radiator and block the hole.

Mine is at customs now, and can be here any day now. Also heard from someone else that it plays better loud.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #83,373 of 100,544
HBB complains about not holding up with the speed and complexion of metal, also added reverb inside that is gone I'd he removes the passive radiator and block the hole.

Mine is at customs now, and can be here any day now. Also heard from someone else that it plays better loud.
Thanks for the details! šŸ˜„

Ah, so itā€™s not how treble is tuned, wow it looks like He is totally not a fan of what exactly letshouoer achived.

The DD without nuisances of fatigue causing ear gain pressure.

Maybe he takes the natural open-field pressure free feeling as to ā€lack of body blowā€ which DZ4 is intended to remove that from DD.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #83,374 of 100,544
tb_image_share_1689688761010.jpgtb_image_share_1689688776145.jpgtb_image_share_1689688780824.jpgtb_image_share_1689688823952.jpg
A wired IEM with tunable rotary switch. Price is a bit steep at around RMB 1100-1400.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #83,375 of 100,544
New Zealand GST (Goods and Service Tax) is 15%. It never used to get charged on goods worth less than $400, but they closed that loophole. :triportsad:
Oh I see, thanks.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #83,376 of 100,544
i was very curious if the price of 45 ā‚¬ is given to the box, it is much better than i expected in sound. looking at the graphics i thought the treble was very tiring, with the red filter it can be tiring. just my thoughts for the first listen, i will leave the graphics too

zhulinniao z4

1689689539893.jpg

1689689569920.jpg

-994088295-840576816 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #83,377 of 100,544
What is peoples biggest disappointment this year in audio?
I haven't had any big disappointments. In fact after few years, I have a stable enjoyment of the hobby.

I read graphs, have favorite reviewers. On top of that, I don't buy cables more expensive than $20 and phones that costs more than $100.

I bought a couple of super cheap KZs that were weak: Edxs, DQs, and Fiio FD11.

āœŒļø

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #83,378 of 100,544
What is peoples biggest disappointment this year in audio?

Can be IEM, earbud, accessories or just a brand. Would be fun to see, it's easy to have high hopes and then your expectations gets destroyed. Got a few here, most come from ergonomic standpoint šŸ˜…

Had two NiceHCK cables with such bad ergonomics they are practically unusable. And 2 faulty ones also from NiceHCK.
Lenovoā€™s TWS and wireless headphone.

It proves Lenovo is good at making PC, and terribly bad at making anything that reproduces sound.

But on AE, literally millions of people are buying those, wow, for gods sake, those thing sound very disappointing. Not for audio, itā€™s good for tele-conference that only transmits 400Hz-3khz because Lenovo only offer their device to make 1980ā€˜s old radio like sound.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #83,379 of 100,544
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #83,380 of 100,544
Honestly, tuning switches are my least favourite craze right now. None I've seen look like they're built for longevity (or coolness). The minimal changes they do make could be achieved with any minor EQ tweak and why would you buy them if you didn't like the sound signature in the first place?

I felt that way until I saw the Nuarl, the Nuarl soundstage toggle looks cool and does something more fun than a minir treble boost.

I doubt when people buy an IEM with tuning switches, they are thinking "I'm not gonna like the default sound of these, good thing they have tuning switches." It's more of a perk for an IEM you were already interested in. And some people don't even use them, so in a lot of cases they aren't deal-breakers or makers. A lot of people already like to tune their IEMs with cables or tips, so tuning switches just seems like a logical extension of that to me. And the changes they bring, however minor in some cases, will at least be present across all of your gear without needing software.

My biggest disappointment of the year, even though it didn't come out in 2023, is the Monarch MKII. I had high hopes, considering the first Monarch is an all-time fave of mine. I'm definitely in the camp of people who think it sounds a little boring. Maybe if it had tuning switches I would like it more haha.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #83,382 of 100,544
Apparently bad implementation of the passive radiator. Fed full range plus not a closed chamber.

Now there's a video out as well:

Yeah. Michael Bruce from YT didn't care for these either. I was close to buying. Glad I waited.
:/

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #83,383 of 100,544
2. An automated return process that puts the onerous on the seller, to respond to a dispute, in a timely manner.

I had GNSS module broken after few days. Bought from big brand in this sector. No reply, no communication from the seller so went with the refund on Ali.
Seller didn't reply anything at any given stage of a complaint. Ali team wanted some document from service center that device is faulty so I provided that
it is completely broken and repair will cost more than whole module; even so Ali team decided to refund only 80% of the price.

Only when I left negative comment seller waked up and started corresponding. All in all when you buy cheap things at Ali they refund whole amount but if you buy expensive then it might be tricky. Sure I could have accepted return and refund but it was risky for me knowing that seller being unresponsive will decline the package.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #83,384 of 100,544
Ah, so itā€™s not how treble is tuned, wow it looks like He is totally not a fan of what exactly letshouoer achived.

The DD without nuisances of fatigue causing ear gain pressure.

Maybe he takes the natural open-field pressure free feeling as to ā€lack of body blowā€ which DZ4 is intended to remove that from DD.
Canā€™t believe youā€™re making me defend BeGGARā€˜s stance :triportsad:
What heā€™s saying is genres like Metal (with its rapid beats) are not friendly to three DDs pushing air, at different frequencies, to a single passive radiator. Itā€™s like reporting to three direct supervisors. The only thing that you are guaranteed of is confusion and a convoluted work product.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #83,385 of 100,544
I had GNSS module broken after few days. Bought from big brand in this sector. No reply, no communication from the seller so went with the refund on Ali.
Seller didn't reply anything at any given stage of a complaint. Ali team wanted some document from service center that device is faulty so I provided that
it is completely broken and repair will cost more than whole module; even so Ali team decided to refund only 80% of the price.

Only when I left negative comment seller waked up and started corresponding. All in all when you buy cheap things at Ali they refund whole amount but if you buy expensive then it might be tricky. Sure I could have accepted return and refund but it was risky for me knowing that seller being unresponsive will decline the package.
This is exactly my experience. I had a modular cable that arrived damaged. I had to practically beg them to offer me a return address and they only gave me a week to get it back to China.
Overall, terrible experience and now I have a broken cable that needs to be re-soldered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back