The discovery thread!
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #83,401 of 101,027
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #83,402 of 101,027
Turbo is interesting. Its such a departure from safe or analytical tunings of all BA sets past. Kinda ballzy for Penon to tune the set that way. Their first ever true basshad IEMs but BAs? I think they chose the set of dual BAs due to its ability to be tuned via crossover switching.

The only other BA set that had that much bass ability from the same BA bass driver was one that was used in the NF audios NE4 which with its red bassy plate turned that into something very similar to what the Turbo is doing with the Turbo switch.

I asked Penon if they can do that with something like a stout silicone dynamic.--- Now that would be interesting.

The answer was yes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #83,403 of 101,027
Turbo is interesting. Its such a departure from safe or analytical tunings of all BA sets past. Kinda ballzy for Penon to tune the set that way. Their first ever true basshad IEMs but BAs? I think they chose the set of dual BAs due to its ability to be tuned via crossover switching.

The only other BA set that had that much bass ability from the same BA bass driver was one that was used in the NF audios NE4 which with its red bassy plate turned that into something very similar to what the Turbo is doing with the Turbo switch.

I asked Penon if they can do that with something like a stout silicone dynamic.--- Now that would be interesting.

The answer was yes.
Love to see a Beryllium DD

Jul 18, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #83,404 of 101,027
Berylliums lush bass qualities are something to behold. As I understand it pure Beryllium dynamics are rather hard to manufacture, reason why FiiOs FD7s, Dunus Luna are no longer in production. Would almost be a waste to dedicate a pure beryllium dynamic just to do bass duties though. I bet that will never happen as Berylliums resolving ability is 2nd to none for dynamics. We just need to see more Beryllium IEMs is whats up with that.

For sheer brunt force and texture the Silicone liquid dynamic in the EST50 is crazy good. I can easily see how it can handle 10dbs of extra boost for bass. The Bio dynamic and Titanium dynamics deserve some mention as well. Penon could be onto something with this Turbo switch. We just don't have enough IEMs with a proper bass boost and I am not talking about a mild 3dbs of bump here and there.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #83,406 of 101,027
For sheer brunt force and texture the Silicone liquid dynamic in the EST50 is crazy good.
I’m in love with these liquid silicone dome with kevlar surrounding drivers. My sample size is two (Hidizs MS5 and Hiby Zeta), but both have superb bass, in both quantity and quality (attack clarity, texture, “slam”).

Edit: it’s interesting to see the love for so many interesting models that don’t make me cry looking at the price tag.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #83,407 of 101,027
Symphonium Audio Meteor 4 BA, on loan to try out. :beyersmile:

1689714562887.png

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #83,408 of 101,027
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #83,410 of 101,027
For the benefit of those who would not join private FB groups - what is the issue?

RADIATING FUN!​

compressed desclaed.jpg

Come with me today as I take a look at the Simgot EA2000 “Boson”, a $320 single DD set from Simgot that features 2 intriguing technologies. A passive radiator, akin to my recently reviewed DZ4, and tunable jacks. You heard that right, not nozzle, not switches, not filters. Tunable jacks. We’ll see if the Simgot is all bark no bite with all these interesting features or can it prove that some gimmicks work. Let’s find out!

WATCH MY FULL UNBOXING HERE:

Thank you to Fia Lam of Simgot for providing this IEM for my fellow reviewers and I to review.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:​

• Absolutely bombastic unboxing presentation for the price
  • Somewhat less bombastic inclusions and accessories
  • Fantastic build quality with a rather beautiful faceplate
  • MMCX connector
  • “Modular tunable” jack but only features 4.4mm and two 3.5mm
  • Fun, Bright V-Shaped sound signature
  • Full bodied, punchy but tight bass that lacks a little bit of texture
  • Recessed, occasionally thin but still decently articulate midrange
  • Forward, detailed and bright treble presentation
  • Surprisingly expansive stage and crisp imaging, paired with decent separation and layering

To me, the EA2000 has 3 standout features. Firstly, the EA2000s are certainly a treble head’s dream. The overall treble presentation is so sparkly and bright with so much microdetails, it’ll tickle your ears. The other standout of the EA2000 is its bass presentation. Maybe its the passive radiator doing its magic, but the bass sounds well-bodied while remaining tight and well-defined. Lastly, the stage and imaging capabilities of the EA2000 are absolutely wonderful. It’s borderline holographic, but not quite there yet. Pair that and the amazing unboxing experience that is rich with detail, personality, and quality makes the EA2000 truly a set worth its asking price just from the experience alone.

However, the EA2000 does fall into a rather niche category that, admittedly, only those who really like this kind of sound signature will REALLY like. The elephant in the room here is that treble response. It is bright. So bright that on my first listen, I was almost overwhelmed with the amount of treble as I had been spending time with sets with tamer treble. Its V-Shaped nature also means that there is a considerable recession in the mids, although not as bad as some V-shaped sets out there, that might turn people off. The fact that it is also an MMCX could be a dealbreaker for some, although I do know that there are those who prefer this connector over 2-pin. Lastly, I do find that it’s not the most resolving IEM as I find that notes have a smoother than accentuated edge to them.

An odd set top to bottom, the EA2000 was an absolute delight for my treblehead ears. I loved how sparkly this set was, although I do admit it’s a bit of a niche for those who are specifically looking for a treble-centric set. But with how magnificent the unboxing is along with the interesting inclusions of a passive radiator and tuning plugs, the EA2000 makes itself out to be a unique set from looks to sound.

Stay tuned for the full review!

I used a recommendation from Akros' (aka TonyTex) to wrangle the treble beneath my personal threshold... added 5x5 foam (hi-density?) to each eartip. BTW using the 4.4mm modular termination.

Made a world of difference for me & changed them into one of my favorite DD hybrid sets (Penon Audio Serial [3DDs] owns top spot). Top end is now sparkly✨️ instead of piercing☠️.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #83,412 of 101,027

I have some sort of Beryllium driver in my Shozy Form 1.4. It's a good set but for some reason I rarely reach for it anymore.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #83,413 of 101,027
Can’t believe you’re making me defend BeGGAR‘s stance :triportsad:
What he’s saying is genres like Metal (with its rapid beats) are not friendly to three DDs pushing air, at different frequencies, to a single passive radiator. It’s like reporting to three direct supervisors. The only thing that you are guaranteed of is confusion and a convoluted work product.
Sorry, but 3 DDs not friendly to metal?

Here is Geezer Butler’s bass rig:

HOD_Tech_big_large.png

Granted, an IEM has different hurdles than multiple amp/speaker cabs. But, 3 DDs and a passive radiator is nothing in complexity compared to Geezer’s Rig of Doom. Maybe some IEM designers need to consult Ashdown for design assistance?

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #83,414 of 101,027
BGVP P05

af3eb71db10af2c63d8e3eb1fcd41ac0.jpg

An interesting tunable IEM from BGVP.

This has rear and front tuning nozzles, something that is pretty rare in CHIFIland (I have a Toneking Ninetails that operates on a similar rear/front nozzle concept).

Unique PU and ceramic DD also. Store graph looks decent (but is super stretched). BGVP tuning is a bit hit or miss, but this is quite interesting compared to the usual fare.

19b135740ecbcdc33eff05c70fb72eff.jpg

aad70cc4fd61ce7251f3e8f4a33dc749.jpg

Most importantly, it has a Hi Res sticker hahaha.

https://www.facebook.com/.../pfbid0NQ2sZELv5FkLUhA6vFTLXm...
https://hifigo.com/products/bgvp-p05

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #83,415 of 101,027
CCA HM20 Review and Impressions of this budget 'Flagship' IEM
After some anticipation, I finally got my hands on a CCA HM20, and they did not disappoint. I had the opportunity to compare them to a range of other headphone sets such as the KBear Rosefinch, 7Hz Legato, S12, Cadenza, ER2XR, Blessing 2 and P1 Max. What struck me the most about all these options is that they each offered their own unique sound profile, despite the differences in their price points.

Let's dive into the HM20. At first, their tonal presentation can sound intense, and it took some time to warm up to them. However, once my brain had "burned in" to their sound signature, this set truly took off. If I were to describe the sound of the HM20, it would be Diffuse-Field with added bass and mid-range warmth yet remains clear and without bloat. The HM20 manages to strike an impressive balance.
1689704850274.png

Now, let's talk about the bass. Despite having a large bass shelf, these IEMs don’t sound overwhelming with bass and that is in part as the HM20’s vivid top-end nature that balances this out. There have been some reviews claiming that the bass on the HM20 is weaker in quality compared to other sets, however I found the dynamic driver on the HM20 to deliver a satisfying low-end response. The mid-bass, on the other hand, offers a warm tone with a satisfying punch. There's a certain richness and depth to the sound that further enhances the overall listening experience. Of course, achieving a proper seal is crucial to fully experience the potential of the bass. While there may be a slight hint of rubbery springiness to the sub-bass frequencies, it actually adds a pleasant bounce that enhances the overall listening experience. While it may not be the last word on bass quality I found it to be on par or even better than say the bass on the Moondrop Blessing 2, which can be a bit diffused and tad blunted. In presentation, it just comes across clear, perhaps those acoustic tubes are doing their work here.

The mid-range works quite well, slopes from ~700 Hz and downward. While this will make the lower-range not as clear in presentation (say compared to Variations, Truthear Zero / Red, HBB Khan) it is not distracting and adds some warm. This is a conventional approach that also leads to a punchier more impactful mid-bass. I think too many sets have tried to keep it safe on the upper mid-range and presence area and the HM20 lifts just a bit more here. The mid-range and bass warmth work well and add note weight and body. You can listen to this at reasonable levels and it just sounds right.

Moving on to the high frequencies, the high hats on the HM20 sound incredibly clean and crisp. They manage to strike the perfect balance between clarity and smoothness, without ever becoming brittle or brash. It’s top-end treble remains controlled and extends nicely. As mentioned, the HM20 actually adheres quite closely to a Diffuse Field target curve from the upper-midrange all the way up. No wonder reviewers like Akros (his great in-depth review here with comparisons) claimed that it does well with binaural content. This also makes it great as a gaming headphone as it would work well with binaural 3D audio spatial engines in many newer games. Very spatially immersive, with DSP you are encased in an audio bubble.

Generally, from a technical perspective, I think CCA have done a great job with this set. It’s a very compact design compared to many bulky cavities of some sets, and sits very well in the ear, remaining fairly flush, ensuring you won’t get wind-noise when outside. The seal is quite good as well.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of sound quality these lower-cost sets achieve. It's a testament to the dedication and innovation put forth by these manufacturers to offer exceptional audio experiences without breaking the bank.

The HM20 is a headphone set worth considering for those seeking a balanced sound profile that offers unique room space feel and a captivating listening experience.
CCA HM20 is definitely one of 50 USD range gate keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back