The discovery thread!
May 9, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #78,423 of 103,258
Now this is what I call a THICK cable! https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004492130301.html So Xinhs released this new cable. It looks similar to TRI Gnade-S but a lot more cores.
That one is really good, just a little stiff compared to the.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.120.6b411802Z04jRH

And talking about XINHS I got a 16 core special order from him, I have bought quite many cables from XINHS so I think I got a discount. Paid 40usd with a 4.4mm adapter I also asked for. I like it, it is soft and light. And sounds good.

1683659327923.png

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #78,425 of 103,258
Is this a QDC connector? Where could I buy it?
Two pins, just QDC-like appearance:
20230509_165643.jpg

It is still sold in Tempotec Official store in AE (no affiliation with them; only good experience).
Only 2.5 mm, only these 2 pins; quite simple; if you like earguides - it can work well.

Below 0.4? It might even be great with Andromeda. I'll have look at NiceHCK cable. Thanks for the heads up. And sorry about your cable. At least it does not explode when reaching your amplifier :ksc75smile:
Original Andromeda purportedly worked best with 0.7-0.8 Ohm cables by design (?) - predating the era of fancy cables, actually fuelling "cable listening" with insane engineering-wise low-Ohm design; hobby-wise - pethaphs, even perfect.

I was happy in the end that T800 with their very low impedance seems to be designed not to be much impedance -dependent -- just get duller bass with the added impedance.

May 9, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #78,427 of 103,258
I can't decide what to get for around $100 or under for ambient and drone. So basically something that's warm, lush, good sound stage, and something that doesn't need a lot of power to drive.

Ik that giving some options to choose from would make things a bit easier, but I've just looked at so many options that I have confused myself haha.

Any suggestions? (I am also willing to get something used if I can find something on here as well so that I can get some better value but still keeping it around $100 or under)

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #78,428 of 103,258
I can't decide what to get for around $100 or under for ambient and drone. So basically something that's warm, lush, good sound stage, and something that doesn't need a lot of power to drive.

Ik that giving some options to choose from would make things a bit easier, but I've just looked at so many options that I have confused myself haha.

Any suggestions? (I am also willing to get something used if I can find something on here as well so that I can get some better value but still keeping it around $100 or under)
One worth looking at....the Simgot EA500. Sounds excellent at around $79 or so.

May 9, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #78,429 of 103,258
One worth looking at....the Simgot EA500. Sounds excellent at around $79 or so.
Lots of hype on EA500 for sure. The two tips for tuning sound is pretty interesting. I do kinda worry about the overall sound signature being too neutral/bright for ambient and drone (even if using red tips) though. It seems like the EA500 would be better for classical and instrumentals (which I also enjoy) rather than ambient and drone though? I will look more into it!

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #78,430 of 103,258
What other Planars do you have? I'm mainly interested where it stacks up against other Planar magnetic technically, so any set you're familiar with will work

I have the Hook-X, the S12, the P1 Max, the Dioko and a couple others.

The Dioko has good resolution and treble extension but it’s basically lifeless. It’s flat in a bad way.

If I had to keep only one planar I’d probably go with the Hook-X, but the S12 is a very close second.

May 9, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #78,431 of 103,258
What other Planars do you have? I'm mainly interested where it stacks up against other Planar magnetic technically, so any set you're familiar with will work
S12, which I modded. Obviously I couldn’t A/B, but based on the listening experience, I would pick PR2 over S12 any day.

May 9, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #78,433 of 103,258
My wallet is crying... its breathing its last. Wonder what he said about soundstage? I am too distracted to watch that vid right now :)
He said the stage was narrow for gaming, but he didn't elaborate on the stage for music.

May 9, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #78,434 of 103,258
So good that NZ post delivered you an empty package. How useful... :/

I had a local parcel arrive cut open a few months ago. It was just a pair of mtb shorts though which weren't apparently valuable enough to steal.

AE certainly is an exercise in risk management. It's only really viable if you have the time, patience and tenacity to monitor your orders studiously. I wouldn't want to use it in a country where consumer laws were less robust.

"The Consumer Guarantees Act only protects you when you buy from businesses in trade in New Zealand — not when you buy something from a private seller or from overseas."

So excluding the unlikely event that New Zealand annexes China. We are on our own with AliExpress.:confused:

Australia is however a much smaller island off our coast, they speak the same language and were part of the same empire in the distant past. That could bring Amazon Australia under our legislation!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 9, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #78,435 of 103,258
Waiting for Linsoul to put it up on their site for the $10 discount. Buying from Amazon still takes over a week to ship and receive.

Amazon/Linsoul does have a decent bundle that comes with purple cables for those that didn't get the $10 discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Quartet-Hybrid-Monitor-Tripowin/dp/B0C4DHTZS3/

If I didn't already buy the NiceHCK PurpleSE cable and $10 Quartet discount, I'd probably buy that bundle.

Can you kindly provide a link to the PurpleSE cable bundle? Thanks. The only bundle I can find is with a purple Tripowin Zonie cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back