The discovery thread!
May 9, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #78,436 of 106,825
Can you kindly provide a link to the PurpleSE cable bundle? Thanks. The only bundle I can find is with a purple Tripowin Zonie cable.
There is no bundle that includes NiceHCK Purple SE cable. You need to buy it separately. I said I bought one already to prepare for the Quartet release, not the bundle.

You can buy the PurpleSE cable here:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804197314957.html

Wait about 5 hours after this post and it will be cheaper ($10.50-$11 USD).

May 9, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #78,438 of 106,825
Kiwi Ears Quartet officially released and is available for purchase on Linsoul.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kiwi-ears-quartet

$10 off code for those who bought the $1 reservation.

QUARTET10USD

KiwiEarsQuartet Order.jpg

May 9, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #78,439 of 106,825
May 9, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #78,440 of 106,825
There is no bundle that includes NiceHCK Purple SE cable. You need to buy it separately. I said I bought one already to prepare for the Quartet release, not the bundle.

You can buy the PurpleSE cable here:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804197314957.html

Wait about 5 hours after this post and it will be cheaper ($10.50-$11 USD).

I see. Thanks a lot! Unfortunately my aliexpress account seems blocked (all my order always got canceled for unknown security reasons), so I can only buy elsewhere. Are there any buy-agents for aliexpress?

Aliexpress customer service is ridiculous, neither aliexpress nor the seller knows why my orders get canceled.

May 9, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #78,441 of 106,825
I can't decide what to get for around $100 or under for ambient and drone. So basically something that's warm, lush, good sound stage, and something that doesn't need a lot of power to drive.

Ik that giving some options to choose from would make things a bit easier, but I've just looked at so many options that I have confused myself haha.

Any suggestions? (I am also willing to get something used if I can find something on here as well so that I can get some better value but still keeping it around $100 or under)

Something that's warm, lush, good sound stage, and something that doesn't need a lot of power to drive. -> The Final Audio E3000 fulfils all your criteria except the last part about not needing a lot of power to drive.

Basically it is an L shaped warm and smooth, bassy set. Non fatiguing and lush, big soundstage. Thing is it has a low sensitivity and needs amplification to tighten the bass, provide better dynamics and soundstage. It can still be driven off a phone, though you are getting perhaps only a fraction of the optimal sound. Bought mine at $30 USD 2nd hand.

May 9, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #78,442 of 106,825
Something that's warm, lush, good sound stage, and something that doesn't need a lot of power to drive. -> The Final Audio E3000 fulfils all your criteria except the last part about not needing a lot of power to drive.

Basically it is an L shaped warm and smooth, bassy set. Non fatiguing and lush, big soundstage. Thing is it has a low sensitivity and needs amplification to tighten the bass, provide better dynamics and soundstage. It can still be driven off a phone, though you are getting perhaps only a fraction of the optimal sound. Bought mine at $30 USD 2nd hand.
Maybe Legato would do the trick here?

May 9, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #78,443 of 106,825

Thank you for the suggestion. It would be nice if it had higher sensitivity when not at my main setup though. Amplification isn't an issue since I have plenty of amps. Just not portable ones.

When looking at something used for around $120 or so, is there another suggestion that you have? That way I could technically get something that would be more expensive if it were new (better value).

May 9, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #78,444 of 106,825
Thank you for the suggestion. It would be nice if it had higher sensitivity when not at my main setup though. Amplification isn't an issue since I have plenty of amps. Just not portable ones.

When looking at something used for around $120 or so, is there another suggestion that you have? That way I could technically get something that would be more expensive if it were new (better value).
Hm used Hookx ? Not warm nor L shape iem, just sound beautiful enough to enjoy for years and years.

May 9, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #78,445 of 106,825
Maybe Legato would do the trick here?

While Legato is a bona fide basshead IEM, there's a 6 - 7kHz spike, so it ain't actually totally smooth or warmish in the treble region. Also, I'm not sure if the OP is a basshead, as the Legato's sub-bass can be a bit obtrusive if one isn't a legit basshead, these kind of specialized basshead tunings are quite niche (ie love it or hate it).

If you can find a used Sony XBA N3, this is another warm smooth and fatigue-free IEM, lush with thick note weight, big soundstage.

I bought my second hand at $100 USD.

May 9, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #78,446 of 106,825
Should I be concerned with having a roughly 15% volume mismatch from 2.5kHz to 6kHz on my HE400se?

Edit: it has lessened with a day of use but I'm not sure if it'll ever fix itself fully.

Edit 2: Interestingly I saw a mismatch of up to 4dB in the upper midrange in RTINGS.com so for all I know these aren't outliers.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #78,447 of 106,825
Hm used Hookx ? Not warm nor L shape iem, just sound beautiful enough to enjoy for years and years.
If I can find one used for around $120 or so, that might be the choice. Maybe not quite warm like you said, but maybe warm/neutral? Great sound stage and seems like a solid choice for something cozy, engaging, and easy to listen to. Should go well quite nicely with ambient and drone. Thank you for the suggestion.

While Legato is a bona fide basshead IEM, there's a 6 - 7kHz spike, so it ain't actually totally smooth or warmish in the treble region. Also, I'm not sure if the OP is a basshead, as the Legato's sub-bass can be a bit obtrusive if one isn't a legit basshead, these kind of specialized basshead tunings are quite niche (ie love it or hate it).

If you can find a used Sony XBA N3, this is another warm smooth and fatigue-free IEM, lush with thick note weight, big soundstage.

I bought my second hand at $100 USD.

Definitely not a bass head. I don't like having it bleed into the mids or anything. I prefer a tight bass with somewhat of a punch.

Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like I have some deciding to do between the Hook X and the ones that you mentioned.

May 10, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #78,448 of 106,825
Definitely not a bass head. I don't like having it bleed into the mids or anything. I prefer a tight bass with somewhat of a punch.

Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like I have some deciding to do between the Hook X and the ones that you mentioned.

Oh then the Sony N3 does have midbass bleed unfortunately.

At sub $100 it is quite hard to find a warm/bassy IEM that doesn't have mid-bass bleed TBH. Usually those warm neutral type tunings with tighter bass are at a higher price bracket - eg $250 for Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite, Sony M7/M9 for higher brackets.

May 10, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #78,449 of 106,825

At sub $100 it is quite hard to find a warm/bassy IEM that doesn't have mid-bass bleed TBH. Usually those warm neutral type tunings with tighter bass are at a higher price bracket - eg $250 for Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite, Sony M7/M9 for higher brackets.
One question: what does it mean "mid-bass bleed"? Warm/bassy is "bass bleed" by definition, isn't it? If the bass does not "bleed", the midrange wouldn't be warm and you would have something like Monarch II with detached bass.

Along that note, does Andromeda 2020 has "bass bleed" given that it does not have strong punches but noticeable "fat" around 250Hz and 500Hz.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #78,450 of 106,825

Well, to paraphrase a comment from the Asian headphones thread. I'd rather have slightly bloated bass than lean bass. And I wonder which is considered the closest to perfect and if it isn't perfect, what's the least bloated bass that isn't outright lean>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back