The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #77,731 of 106,715
I see that you list 7 IMR Acoustics IEMs in your collection.

I've got the Elan+, which was available last year for the discount price of $632 + $13 S/H (currently listed for $817).
Penon Audio shows that they still have some IMR Bass Cannon in stock for $369.

I'm wondering whether the Bass Cannon has higher "Quality" or "Quantity" of Bass than the others you've heard?

@DBaldock9
I haven't got the Elan +. Judging by reviews and comments they are exceptional. The Bass Cannon may not hit the Elan + level, I don't know. They just sound right to me. The name Bass Cannon 2023 infers that the bass is it's forte, much like the Legato. I find the BC definitely has an excellent bass, but the mids placement does not get sacrificed. Reading between the lines it's the treble where the Elan +, hits something special. The treble on BC 2023 is good, non-fatiguing, but not highlighted. The BC 2023 seems to be an IEM Bob wants to keep in his portfolio. I think the Bass Cannon is an improved IMR Dark Matter and maybe easier to manufacture. I like it a lot.
As an example. Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, usually the vocals are too remote from the bass lines of the average IEM, and way too recessed. Check it with some IEMs. The BC 2023 keeps the vocals closer to the bass lines, but the bass is still the highlight. The BC 2023 is open backed and definitely not a one trick bass pony. All my IMRs are recent models and they all have excellent bass. The the Bass Cannon has lots of bass, but not at the expense of the rest of the FR.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #77,732 of 106,715
It may be convenient for you to think this way, and it is ~OK, especially if you plan to succeed in a harsh survival of the fittes of the reviewers.

There is definitely enough of the "body of knowledge"; if it now benefits only few selling their products to those prone to the magic and being a "beleiver" - so be it, trying to bring any arguments here won't work.

Again, to give a tangible example - limitations of the Apple DAC was clearly discussed; true one can"t use a tweezer instead of a hammer, but then similarly - the Apple dongle does it job very well, if you aware of its optimal impedance and thus voltage-limited and current-limited aspects.
I have 30+ DACs and DAPs - most of them noticeably "process" the sound, some too much, e.g. Shanling UA2 (I will never personally touch this brand any more).
Having "transparent" sources would be highly benefitial - again, another story, I do not think the people here is ready for such discussions - it would be so much opposite to "cable attenuation".
If you really want to get to the bottom of this, who ever has high-end DAPs (1,000 USD and up?), record the line-out of your DAP while playing a song (your choice), on reasonable volume, to the line-in of your PC or whatever high-end recording setup you have, and then copy that file of the recording to your DAP and record a copy of that one being played and do that over and over again, for say 10 or 30 cycles and then compare the original file and the one who you have feed thru this loop, upload the audio files and graphs and compare them, if the DAP is just out putting a pure signal, except for slight interference or artifacts, they should sound identical, if not, a more thorough investigation will be required.

This is similar to finding out if a camera or picture app is applying filters automatically, by cycling it thru the pipeline multiple time, we will get an exaggerated view of what it is doing.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #77,733 of 106,715
I may follow up once Changle is released👍

@Tzennn hey bro, we got that cable-test right✌️✨

The closest cable was D per audio-sound. It was Hidiz cable +1.6ohm = 2.2ohm imp that scored same to MT1 Max stock cable.

I found MT1 stock cable on that recording signature sounded clearer but hey we both got very hard ”sound sommelier“ test right😆✌️

Our ear can tell that slightest small nuances “even if that’s thru poor recording coupler’s re-simulated sound signature“ that’s not even directly thru our ear✌️

Ok, and I was browsing his tweet, and noticed he discovered an interesting IEM.

Final A8000 clone,

US $53.90 51% Off | XSL X-ONE IEM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPmmpKc
Wow Interesting, somehow we both correct haha. My impression with these sample woule be:
-A definitely have boosted upper treble with more prominent bass, so it definitely not stock one
- B sound slightly more muddy, i really think he angled the iem to trick us lol, i was considering this as a stock one at first.
-C sound clearer, it sound pushed in upper mid so i think this sample might have fitting issue, but the bass quality seems to be poorer and sound less air even it have fitting issue, easy pass
-D sound most all rounder with a touch of hotness in treble (using my EA500 so i can easily spot that), kind of typical for chinese company so i choose D

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #77,734 of 106,715
To note, sound sig preference and music library synergy matters especially when you move upward to midfi

HBB takes on Blessing 3
who are different from his preferred warm a bit thicker sound sig and apparently didn't play that well with his music library

something to think about a bit, since i saw several people see the stellar review of previous blessing, spend money on it, only to dissapointed since as turns out its a bit far from their prefered sound sig or didn't play that well with their library

From the perspective of a Moondrop fan, I would’ve appreciated an announcement, for their intent, for the Blessing line, for 2023.

I’m sure most of us assumed that the B3 was the successor to the Dusk (with the limited info, in the B3’s press release) and not the original Blessing 2. But now that we know there’s a B3 Dusk on the horizon, there are probably some miffed owners of the B3 out there.

I’ll still pick up the B3 Dusk (as long as the MSRP is no more than the B3’s), but I’ll be giving Moondrop the side-eye, going forward.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #77,735 of 106,715
https://www.marchaudio.com/product/sointuva-wg-speaker

Both cases seem to be stupid amounts of money to blow on single piece of audio equipment for me.
Of course I say this as at some point I had the equally absurd idea of using these 3 drivers in a speaker.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...very-26w/4534g-10-aluminum-cone-woofer-4-ohm/
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-2-fullrange/satori-md60n-6-2.5-textile-dome-midrange/
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...tbfc/g-h1212-aluminum/magnesium-dome-tweeter/

There's probably like $600-650 worth of parts PER speaker. And I'm not sure what purpose would this monstrosity serve. I think this was my idea of a dance club speaker if the idea of a sound treated dance club with Hi-Fi speakers rather than PA speakers ever took off. But I'm not counting on that ever happening.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #77,737 of 106,715
Apr 29, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #77,738 of 106,715
If you really want to get to the bottom of this, who ever has high-end DAPs (1,000 USD and up?), record the line-out of your DAP while playing a song (your choice), on reasonable volume, to the line-in of your PC or whatever high-end recording setup you have, and then copy that file of the recording to your DAP and record a copy of that one being played and do that over and over again, for say 10 or 30 cycles and then compare the original file and the one who you have feed thru this loop, upload the audio files and graphs and compare them, if the DAP is just out putting a pure signal, except for slight interference or artifacts, they should sound identical, if not, a more thorough investigation will be required.

This is similar to finding out if a camera or picture app is applying filters automatically, by cycling it thru the pipeline multiple time, we will get an exaggerated view of what it is doing.
This has already been done using pkane’s Deltawave - although you do not need to do the looping aspect you spoke of - as you would be compounding the effect. The null results were as expected. However to get a true representation you also need to account for the ADC & filters (&notch) in this arrangement.

Check out the software if you have a moment - very interesting.

https://deltaw.org/

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #77,739 of 106,715
Recommendations please?
For IEMs under 350 euros.
I like fun turned, more musical than technical,
Full bodied
Strong bass, in quantity and quality
Strong note weight, dense
Emotionally engaging, expressive
Natural sounding
Good with female voices
Good with very different genres
Non fatiguing
Comfortable to wear for hours and hours .
Unless my financial situation changes it will be my only iem for a very long time, so durability is very very very important.
Thank you muchly 🙏🙏🙏

I also want to say that even though I'm mostly just a lurker,
I've been thoroughly enjoying reading and almost vicariously hearing iems being described and I want to thank everyone on this thread deeply as I feel that I have learned quite a lot from the discussions and debates and I continue to learn.🙏🙏🙏

Currently I own a pair of full sized, closed back headphones
Campfire audio cascades, I enjoy them but I need an iem for long treks in the mountains where I live.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #77,740 of 106,715
Recommendations please?
Full bodied
Natural sounding
Good with female voices
Non fatiguing
Unless my financial situation changes it will be my only iem for a very long time, so durability is very very very important.
Thank you muchly 🙏🙏🙏

I've been thoroughly enjoying reading and almost vicariously hearing iems being described and I want to thank everyone on this thread deeply as I feel that I have learned quite a lot from the discussions and debates and I continue to learn.🙏🙏🙏

Campfire audio cascades, I enjoy them but I need an iem for long treks in the mountains where I live.

Sounds like the Serial would be a candidate.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #77,741 of 106,715
Recommendations please?
Full bodied
Natural sounding
Good with female voices
Non fatiguing
Thank you muchly 🙏🙏🙏

Sony XBA N3.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #77,742 of 106,715
No offence, but measurebators will eat their pecker if this Pecker IEM sells better than the Ling Long. Unless manufacturers combine the best of these 2 IEMs and give us a massively Ling Long Pecker?

But jokes aside, look at that gigantic 8 kHz!? I mean graphs don't tell the full story, but they generally give a reasonable gauge of tonality. Even after deducting for the coupler peak, that 8 kHz is surely gonna be painful unless the listener has iron ear drums?
Any idea what the price of the Pecker is?

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #77,743 of 106,715
Beat me to it 100% Serial, a very good candidate for you.

Another good candidate could have been the ISN H40, but can be to forward in the treble region for some.
Recommendations please?
Full bodied
Natural sounding
Good with female voices
Non fatiguing
Thank you muchly 🙏🙏🙏

Sounds like the Serial would be a candidate.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #77,744 of 106,715

Have you used any IEM for hours before? It took me months to get used to the IEM after listening mainly to the HD555.

I have no experience in this price range but it might be worth trying something cheaper first if you don't have much experience with IEM.
If you want IEM for mountain trips (quiet environment) then I recommend Kinera Pandamon. They are open and there is no pressure effect in the ears. Light and very comfortable. Very musical, unfortunately they are not bassy despite the warm sound. But this planar bass is very nice in them. Much better than it looks on FR.

I would also check YINCROW X6, they have the sound you are looking for. In the city they are useless, but in the mountains as a reserve, always in your jacket pocket, can be a good idea.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #77,745 of 106,715
Cheers to the weekend friends,

Gonna head into the weekend with a small arsenal by my side. I am going to enjoy Sennheiser IE600(Friend's Unit), FatFreq Maestro Mini(Friend's unit), Audeze Euclid(My Unit), and DUNU SA6 MK2(My Unit).

Thinking about making a post related to their performance comparison with each other!! Will make a post with a better picture tomorrow(if I turn on the light in my room right now, my wife will kick me out of the room). Sorry for a bad image this time :)

343442929_195556856611943_4944245246423229354_n.jpg
Please do share your impressions. Dunu looks beautiful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back