The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #77,446 of 103,275
Attention: Not a discovery!

Just a question or two:

The more I listen to the Sound Rhyme SR5, the more I enjoy them. They came with silvery foamy tips. I think the TRN ST5 had one of those as well.
Does anybody know their origin? They remind me of Dekoni .... they don't seem to be Comply either. Any idea anybody?

BTW, I have never sold anything here in the classifieds, but I seriously consider to sell the 7Hz Legato, even though it is praised all around here.
My ears enjoy the ISN Audio D10 much, much more.

Cheers.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #77,447 of 103,275
Attention: Not a discovery!

Just a question or two:

The more I listen to the Sound Rhyme SR5, the more I enjoy them. They came with silvery foamy tips. I think the TRN ST5 had one of those as well.
Does anybody know their origin? They remind me of Dekoni .... they don't seem to be Comply either. Any idea anybody?

BTW, I have never sold anything here in the classifieds, but I seriously consider to sell the 7Hz Legato, even though it is praised all around here.
My ears enjoy the ISN Audio D10 much, much more.

Cheers.
Just curious, why though? i mean selling off the Legato

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #77,448 of 103,275
The issue here, as if you are actually reading this right at this moment, is the fact that we (as a group) are not normal individuals. Our friends and family know this. The Apple Dongle serves a purpose, yet I would be surprised if any individual that said that is all you need truly has had a long experience with an a audiophile DAP.

And that’s precisely what this post is about. The fact that not an Apple Dongle but a $109.00 Dongle is way, way different sounding (from an Apple Dongle) that in many cases the two Dongles could be looked at as performing a night and day difference. Now truly probably many would have to be close to this phenomenon of replayed, recorded music to tunnel in on these differences, yet we all know (those that are reading this) that they are there, the differences are real.

Apart from the $109.00 Dongle........a medium priced used DAP could be $500.00, and do slightly better. After that, yes a $3000 DAP gets another step towards understanding the reality of playback music reproduction, but still it is only adding another small percentage on-top. That isn’t the point, the point is almost 27 times less money gets you 90% of the sound..........and that’s $109.00, what an audiophile Dongle does and costs. It truly is miles in quality different from an Apple Dongle. The sad part is the people who promote the Apple Dongle for audiophile uses often never really spent a time trying to understand audiophile DAPs, and that is how it started. Even people who purchased expensive DAPs will tell you that they really didn’t sound great upon first trying them out. That often we will purchase stuff and learn to understand it as time goes by, the fact that this stuff is delicate and needs brain burn-in as well as physical burn-in before the nuances are found.
My ears are old and worn, so lately, I've begun to question just how much different my DX170 is from my Sansa Fuze? Now there is a difference, especially in the natural stage presentation, details, and 3D depth, but it's not like night and day difference. It's perceivable, but closer than one may think?

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #77,449 of 103,275
Oh yeah then that's absolutely true haha, why would anyone need a 3000$ dap anyway. Do you have a high-end dap? Did you tried high-end dap? You never know you need them until you tried them, they're not there for you to pick, they're there because someone might need them. Why the hell anyone would buy a 5000$ Trailii because they're from Japan? No one! They're not even that high up in the ranking list! Yet, you can see many, many clone of them now, trying to replicate them, Why? Because they do something good, something truly good. You can comfortably say Iphone 7 - 8 already good with home button, who on earth would think removing home button is a good idea? Probally no one! You can see the pattern here aren't you 😁
Yeah well as a "touching grass" person, i don't think anyone should cheap out their joy and happiness. I mean you can save 3000$ to buy a car or something, saving for taxes, fund, whatever, but like you can use that money to go travel, probally don't need one, but you'll remember that journey.
Traveling with a $3000 DAP is risky, very risky, but I bet with the $6000 Trailili, a very pleasing experience indeed! :wink:

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #77,450 of 103,275
Without a proper A/B switcher, proper dB matching and a blindfold a comparison between sources is as good as useless.

I did this once on my friend, an avid audiophile, told him that he's gonna listen to two products, both of which were rather expensive, but one was to be a sort of "cheapified" copy of the other.
He listened to the track while I was pressing buttons and switching between the sources.
He was adamant that both were good, but the second source was cleaner with better transients.
Problem was, that he was listening to the same source. I was just clicking buttons back and forth pretending to change sources.

Food for thought.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #77,451 of 103,275
My ears are old and worn, so lately, I've begun to question just how much different my DX170 is from my Sansa Fuze? Now there is a difference, especially in the natural stage presentation, details, and 3D depth, but it's not like night and day difference. It's perceivable, but closer than one may think?
My old JVC dap and Sony walkman does great job too.

Agree that it’s not night and day gap, I actually quite liked Walkman’s crossfeeding function.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #77,452 of 103,275
I'm debating it because there's no functional use in saying you "need" a $3000 dap. Nobody "needs" that. If it brings out the last 1,5,10% of the performance an IEM can produce and you want it because you personally can't unheard the difference, that's a fair statement to make.

Not a single person on this planet NEEDS a $3000 dap. It is a purely luxury item. And that is okay. I just push back against the idea that anything that costs as much as a house mortgage in the US is described as a necessity.
very true…and US housing is too expensive too😢

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #77,453 of 103,275
Without a proper A/B switcher, proper dB matching and a blindfold a comparison between sources is as good as useless.

I did this once on my friend, an avid audiophile, told him that he's gonna listen to two products, both of which were rather expensive, but one was to be a sort of "cheapified" copy of the other.
He listened to the track while I was pressing buttons and switching between the sources.
He was adamant that both were good, but the second source was cleaner with better transients.
Problem was, that he was listening to the same source. I was just clicking buttons back and forth pretending to change sources.

Food for thought.
The debate will go on and on, if you think it sounds good to your ears, then it is, after all, it is your own experience that counts, don’t have to go through all these blindfold test and so on, just my 2cents.

There might be some placebo to a certain extent but how someone perceive how the source/iem sound may differ from one to another. We’re here to enjoy the music anyway, not to measure the sinad,read the graphs etc.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #77,455 of 103,275
DC-03 PRO or SHIO??

My iems:
Simgot EA500
Tin HIFI C2
Blon Z300
Cadenza
If I understand right the SHIO has the best DAC chips of the two. Also have balanced output, not saying it would sound nicer balanced in SHIO than SE in DC-03 Pro. But most seem to move toward the balanced over time and then you have a great dongle that can use those 4.4mm cables.

The build is not very premium on the SHIO and is a negative point for SHIO.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #77,456 of 103,275
DC-03 PRO or SHIO??

My iems:
Simgot EA500
Tin HIFI C2
Blon Z300
Cadenza
It depends. DC 03 Pro is colored, more analytical, while SHIO is neutral and also has balanced output. What matters more to you. The best actually would be spending more for DC 04 Pro. You get iBasso best handling of Cirrus + balanced output

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #77,457 of 103,275
If I understand right the SHIO has the best DAC chips of the two. Also have balanced output, not saying it would sound nicer balanced in SHIO than SE in DC-03 Pro. But most seem to move toward the balanced over time and then you have a great dongle that can use those 4.4mm cables.

The build is not very premium on the SHIO and is a negative point for SHIO.
Both chips sound the same actually. The difference is energy related, something like that

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #77,458 of 103,275
Just curious, why though? i mean selling off the Legato
Well, the shell is somewhat large and the fit is just OK. Again, when I heard them first time it immediately reminded me of the ISN Audio D10. Sure enough after some switching back and forth they are similar, but the ISN steals the show with better treble. Hmm, I don't want to get into the sound lingo, but the Legato appear a bit veiled to me.

In short, there is no point having two very similar sounding IEM's and one of them will collect dust somewhere. So I might just sell them at a good price and soembody else will enjoy them more than I do.

Cheers.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #77,460 of 103,275
It looks like I’m the fool who didn’t know PR2 had $39 early bird discount😢
8277DC34-126E-48CF-A883-17A8FFA86240.jpeg

Anyone know where to find $39 one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back