The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #77,326 of 102,936
Yes, I've been using iPods as my sole DAPs for around 6 years with rockbox now. Rock solid :wink:
iPod touch 2nd Gen user here :p Though the battery has swollen, but still working fine lol

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #77,327 of 102,936
The more I use the SR8 the more I'm finding little nuances with how well this IEM is tuned. I've been listening to PODCASTs on the 0-1 setting which is the bass down and treble up. It's similar to the Tangzu Waner but with better details, more reverberation when men with deeper voices speak and the seperation when multiple are speaking all at once is blowing my mind. Its like I'm sitting there in the studio or at table listening to the podcast and can differentiate who is speaking to whom.

20230425_063333.jpg
1682424870716.png

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #77,329 of 102,936
I was lucky and got a bunch of 5th-7th gen iPod classics when they were still cheap (10eur or less). Prices nowadays just make me sad :deadhorse:
That is very lucky indeed! The price these days are crazy, i'm still looking at some 5th gen, but the cosmetic condition was quite bad, price is also on the higher side

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #77,330 of 102,936
Hi folks, just did an A/B test between my sources and the ultra-super-ridiculously-expensive L&P P6 Pro. I quote the impressions below in case you guys are curious.

I don't understand how L&P did it. I don't know what objective measurements reflect what I hear. But I'm mad that it sounds that good. The SA6II is quite good, but I must say it has been carried a lot by the P6 Pro as well. It does not sound that great with KA3.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is: look at the source used by reviewers. I even tested the JD3 with P6 Pro and that even that IEM can sound punchy, dynamic, and somewhat 3D with the P6 Pro, just like Final Audio E5000 can sound crisp and technical when driven by A&K SP2000T.

Most of us know about the ... quirky software of L&P P6 Pro. Let's talk about sound instead. I have just done a series of A/B tests between P6 Pro and the best sources I have in my collection - Shanling M6 Ultra, Topping G5, and FiiO K7. I also throw in my FiiO KA3 dongle. For this test, I select the most "normal/average" IEM in terms of driving difficulty: the newly released Dunu SA6 MkII. The test track is the powerful performance of One Winged Angel by The Danish National Symphony Orchestra:

Some interesting results (observations from 4.4mm output across all sources):
  • The difference between P6 Pro and other sources is not subtle. I don't need to A/B again and again and twist my ears to hear the differences like, say, between M6U and K7.
  • The first key difference is the bass and dynamic. P6 Pro has deep bass that is very punchy and physical, yet very crisp on the attack end, as if the volume jumps from 0 to peak without any looseness or "hesitation". As a result, the sense of rhythm and musical pulse is very strong with P6 Pro. Everything else feel loose and weak, especially in the opening phrase of the performance.
  • The next noticeable difference is the depth and layering. The difference is day and night when the choir comes in at around 1:30. Only P6 Pro manages to convey the illusion that the choir is somewhere before and above me. All other sources sound more closed in and flat. The KA3 performs the worst here, followed by G5. M6U and K7 are almost the same.
  • The next difference is the sense of micro details. Every instrument has more nuances with P6 Pro, thus the whole performance feels real. Next to P6 Pro, all of other sources feel veiled, even though they are competent on their own.
P6 Pro is very competent via Bluetooth, even with the inferior AAC codec. Acceptable delay, no significant loss in staging or detail. It does not get more bourgeoisie than watching YouTube via bluetooth with P6 Pro.

3.5mm vs 4.4mm: the balanced output is simply superior in terms of bass control and dynamic. The presentation of 3.5mm feels sloppy next to the great 4.4mm, though still ahead of 4.4mm on my M6U.

So yeah, I'm shocked by the audio performance of this DAP (and also its software, in a different way).

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #77,331 of 102,936
Hello everyone, I haven't read any reviews of the EPZ K5 yet, which I find very nice in green. There is only a recent and positive one from Akros, which associates it for sound characteristics with Sound Rhyme SR5. He finds the K5 even better, which is quite a statement considering the huge hype in SR5 thread. I can't wait to receive my unit, although I won't be able to compare it to the SR5.

EPZ_K5.jpg

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #77,332 of 102,936
Today’s mail call 😀
951BF82A-9CC6-4549-BFB7-83B7C497E688.jpeg

151B10CA-E22A-469F-9495-72B684450A11.jpeg

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #77,333 of 102,936
Hi folks, just did an A/B test between my sources and the ultra-super-ridiculously-expensive L&P P6 Pro. I quote the impressions below in case you guys are curious.

I don't understand how L&P did it. I don't know what objective measurements reflect what I hear. But I'm mad that it sounds that good. The SA6II is quite good, but I must say it has been carried a lot by the P6 Pro as well. It does not sound that great with KA3.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is: look at the source used by reviewers. I even tested the JD3 with P6 Pro and that even that IEM can sound punchy, dynamic, and somewhat 3D with the P6 Pro, just like Final Audio E5000 can sound crisp and technical when driven by A&K SP2000T.
How "they do it", starting with A&K - likely very clever processing and enhancement of right harmonics and overtones to feel pleasing - but no one will tell you, these are profitable know-hows.

Knowing "thy" (first of all) and reviewer's sources is important indeed.

Though with the overall BS in the hobby, starting with cables attenuating selectively "few dBs" here and then gauging credibility by twitter likes... - the truth seems to be far out there..

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #77,335 of 102,936
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #77,337 of 102,936
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #77,339 of 102,936
I truly hope it sounds close to Tangzu. I dont like the industrial design, but wont complain paying $50 for a well tuned planar
for $45 (discount price) PR1 Pro is pretty damn good. just a bit harsh sounding.
if PR2 manage to have smoother and more natural sound sig... that would be killer for the price

and its right there in the marketing blurp, "smoother and natural"... if they actually achieve it...

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #77,340 of 102,936

Users who are viewing this thread

Back