The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #77,356 of 106,531
That's true, but there is always doubt about how a graph is interpreted. Often things are extrapolated which quite simply cannot be so.
Same thing with impressions. Someone can hear soundstage that your ear doesn't pick up. Or they're more sensitive to treble so details they hear at a volume are something you won't pick up with your ear if you're less sensitive.

I'm just saying the argument "graphs aren't trustworthy" is no more true or false than "other people's impressions aren't trustworthy". All of them are pieces to a puzzle until you put a set in your ears and hear it for yourself. Dunking on one way to gather some information is silly to me because every way of gathering information on something this subjective is imperfect

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #77,358 of 106,531
I was lucky and got a bunch of 5th-7th gen iPod classics when they were still cheap (10eur or less). Prices nowadays just make me sad :deadhorse:
Yeah. The prices are crazy. Same happened with Sony Walkman DAPs. They all went up instead of down for used products. iPods sound great too. I enjoy using mine on the go, though it's not Rockbox'd. I prefer to keep it as is, and buy another and Rockbox it. As it stands, I have two Rockbox'd Sansa Fuzes, so I'll use those when I have the urge to Rockbox it out.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #77,359 of 106,531
IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3457.jpeg

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #77,360 of 106,531
This thread is a bad influence!!!
Already caved and ordered the Penon Serial with the Penon Space cable, and while it is not even shipped yet - now I am thinking about the new PR2 IEM... Grrrrr :grimacing:

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #77,362 of 106,531
I’ve been offered a review opportunity for a very rare IEM from Penon (with one unknown cable that was in the package maybe the cable called Vocal )

TSMR Sands.
685CF4FD-0473-4BBC-92DD-0415BC6B9078.jpeg

As I still have SR8, Blessing3‘s review pending, this may go after that.. but so far OOTB, I find it sounds very close to my retuned See Audio Bravery for mid, upper-mid, very transparent IEM with low bass floor.

I didn’t know it comes with 3 tuning switches which I haven’t touched yet and stock setting is 020.

It’s very close to micro details lover’s dream of which I‘m seeing my retuned See Audio Bravery as the leading figure.

So far, this 1 knowles, 2 Sonion, 1 DD 3BA+1DD came with a bit of surprise that I wonder why not many mentioned Sands that often, of which I think the pricing maybe the major factor the pricing is competing with Blessing 2.

Here is the 020 setting FR, you can see it’s as bright as Gaea, with no “fake air” type emphasis and Yume-like less engaged bass floor.
2E8B5A9C-848F-40EB-9FC9-63CC55699DA2.jpeg

I haven’t tried 1-0-0 setting yet, so still not sure how well Sands respond to switch, but so far it’s 80 detail : 20 dynamism ratio, of which that’s close to my female vocal preferred tuning (75:25).

[After listening to sands for half a day, I finally got it.

TSMR Sands is almost a fetish level of tuning that is tailored for vocals, especially for female vocals.

I was wondering,

“then why the heck TSMR turned off “sparkle lighting” that Gaea and many other have? “

The answer is “ those fake air presentation make female vocal to sound too husky and not realistic”

Wow, TSMR, you’ve done right thing there.
]

Maybe next weekend I will have my hands on the full review on Sands, by then the DD units shall be fully burned in too.
—————————————————
Also the big gamble on Night Oblivion VE8 Silver Oriole is under import agent’s processing👍 They probably using recycled BA units from second hand market, so that they can make TOTL grade IEMs with almost impossible pricing. It was same for Lokahi as well, it says “used” as obviously the shells are brand new when arrived. Good practice for those DIY brands👍👍

I have extremely high hope on this set, the FR looks almost perfect.
C5D2FD5B-342C-47FE-B947-B3CB57AAA78A.jpeg

563C34E9-E7A0-4F05-B7BE-7B3832F2159E.jpeg

I just google how would a “Silver Oriole” looks like,
46BEA03E-BF5B-4C92-8A03-0EF9F40C1FA5.jpeg

Academic Name: Oriolus mellianus🤔
…..😳
aha! It may be “the bird for rest of us”

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #77,363 of 106,531
Another news

KZ’s new release PR2!

It says HBB collab.

I think KZ has better synergy with HBB’s macro oriented tuning preference as DQ6S actually worked great one of very few that I actually like is and using it even to date.

2A91EDFE-68A4-441C-AA3E-9EDF2629C9B2.jpeg

It’s on. amazon JP from KZ’s sub brand G.K. Store.
https://amzn.asia/d/f8QFG90

😂 KZ marketing guy “ let’s put real planar” phrase.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #77,364 of 106,531
Another news

KZ’s new release PR2!

It says HBB collab.

I think KZ has better synergy with HBB’s macro oriented tuning preference as DQ6S actually worked great one of very few that I actually like is and using it even to date.

It’s on. amazon JP from KZ’s sub brand G.K. Store.
https://amzn.asia/d/f8QFG90

😂 KZ marketing guy “ let’s put real planar” phrase.

It shows they’re paying attention to the community. After all, those “SPD” and “flat dynamic” drivers were more or less rejected instantly. It’s a smart move to highlight the fact that they’re using the same planar that 7hz, Raptgo, Tangzu, Letshuoer and others are using.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #77,365 of 106,531
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #77,366 of 106,531
Any info on quartet?

IMG_5382.jpeg

Kiwi Ears Quartet​

DEVELOPED BY KIWI EARS

2DD+2BA Hybrid In-Ear Monitor​

• Dual New isobaric 10mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Drivers
  • Dual Custom Balanced Armature Drivers
  • Resounding Bass And Harmonious Balance Listening Experience
  • Handcrafted With Medical-Grade Resin
  • Replaceable High-Quality Oxygen-Free Silver-Plated Copper Cable

So tempted!

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #77,367 of 106,531
I'm assuming my PR1 Pro has a PCB board, that's missing in the exploded view
&
Since most of the "Improvements" are cuts in the FR, I can use a PEQ on my PR1 Pro, to get the same results

KZ PR1 Pro vs PR2.png
Completely different driver don't think they will sound the same ? Maybe but no EQ is better than having to EQ IMHO

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #77,368 of 106,531
So tempted!

Your not alone, this is around my maximum amount I use for sets for work. Lets see if there is some extra cash going out from wallet :thinking:

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #77,369 of 106,531
I'll start it off for the under $100 segment

1. Tangzu Wan'er SG or its more expensive brother Shimin Li Encounter 😂
2. Venture Electronics SiE
3. KiwiEars Cadenza

Wan'er is my everyday carry due to its mid forward vocals which is great for PODCASTS.
@s2kphile I bet you’ll add Kiwi Quartet (99$)

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #77,370 of 106,531

Kiwi Ears Quartet​

DEVELOPED BY KIWI EARS

2DD+2BA Hybrid In-Ear Monitor​

• Dual New isobaric 10mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Drivers
  • Dual Custom Balanced Armature Drivers
  • Resounding Bass And Harmonious Balance Listening Experience
  • Handcrafted With Medical-Grade Resin
  • Replaceable High-Quality Oxygen-Free Silver-Plated Copper Cable

So tempted!
I have seen the graph it looks very nice (balanced +-9db) overall normal Pina gain starting at 1k peak at 3k relaxed 5k and excellent extension and Air with some energy at 12-15 for Air and separation.
This one is going to be inoffensive and looks to be well tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back