The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #77,312 of 103,458
Real question is when do we get your Dunu sa6 mk 2 full review?
It's going to be a while. I have been making videos and writting reviews every weekends for like a few weeks now. Need to reduce the pace before I'm sick of all of this :dt880smile:

Short summary: BUY!!! (and keep it on the atmospheric mode if you have the same taste as me). This IEM is the breakthrough in technical performance that I have been waiting for. Imaging is great. BA bass is great. Detail retrieval is excellent. Dynamic is 64 Audio-like. Two distinct tonalities (vocal forward default mode vs U-shaped atmospheric mode). Build and accessories are great. If this IEM was around when I did my first kilobuck hunt, I would likely skip the Andromeda 2020 altogether.

Cons:
  • I quite dislike the stock tuning.
  • Comfort: not stuffy as Orchestra Lite, but not as comfortable as 64 Audio IEMs with APEX (or JD7 with semi open design)
  • The soundstage imaging, whilst excellent, is still kind of uncanny somehow. It's hard to put my finger on it, as it is not odd all the time. It's like the center image is a bit too diffused. Sometimes, SA6II sounds like my desktop speakers with image in front of me. Sometimes, the center image is kind of split between left and right channels, somewhere in front of my ears.
  • Note attacks can feel blunted due to the subdued 2k and 6k. At first, I thought note definition is not very sharp. And then I realised everything is there, well separated and detailed. It's just that the edginess of the notes is blunted.
Geeky note: I still don't think that Dunu's idea of pushing 1.5kHz forward is a good idea. They should have done the Elysian Acoustic Lab's 2-5kHz flat top but keep the boost to only 7dB (currently) instead of of EA's 10dB to avoid the shout. I attribute the uncanny staging to the 1.5kHz push. If you have used the FiiO FH3, you know the in-your-nose imaging of that IEM due to the 1.5kHz push. SA6II is not that horrible, but the issue can flare up with certain recordings.

Haven't done detailed A/B against anything but the U12T, so I can't give any rating.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #77,313 of 103,458
Plug it into your computer and press one (1) button! :)
I see, saved. Did you have them right now, is it perform just fine ?

Oh by the way i found this shop which have some good looking diy cable, and pretty cheap Link
image_editor_1682405148589.jpg

image_editor_1682405158140.jpg

image_editor_1682405166081.jpg

image_editor_1682405179647.jpg

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #77,314 of 103,458
A good example of the negligibility of graphs? The Legato. Can't get a consensus of how they actually sound, and almost everyone who owns it has a statement about how they don't sound like they graph? WTH? So if this is the case, what's the point? "the bass doesn't sound like they graph". "The treble is a bit more relaxed that the graph" "the treble balances the bass, which isn't as apparent on the graph". OK...great. So pay no attention to the graph?
"We hardly need to use our ears,
How music changes through the years."
Radio Ga Ga, Queen.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #77,315 of 103,458
Oh sandisk is the maker, i thought rockbox mean the company 🤣 i see, is it easy to flash if it haven't rockbox'd yet ?
It is very easy to convert to Rockbox firmware. Yeah.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #77,316 of 103,458
Exactly.

Graphs don't show technicalities, which is as important or even more important than tuning. Graphs don't show the quality of the transducers. Graphs don't show fit and comfort. Graphs don't tell you how good an IEM or headphone sounds with proper EQ. Graphs don't always show how an IEM or headphone performs when matched with sources, cables, and eartips that wasn't used when the measurement was taken. Graphs don't show how certain songs and genres sound with certain IEMs or headphones.

There are so many things graphs don't show. Any reviewer who is only analyzing frequency graphs or puts too much weight into graphs to determine their opinion, is not a real audiophile reviewer.
Graphs show amplitude vs frequency. That's it.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #77,317 of 103,458
Penon with a new tribrid for their 10 year anniversary.

Screenshot_20230425-092432.png

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #77,318 of 103,458
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #77,319 of 103,458
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #77,320 of 103,458
Apr 25, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #77,321 of 103,458
Graphs show amplitude vs frequency. That's it.
Produced in a linear sweep. So no limitations and distortions compared to real music reproduction (multiple frequencies together (resolution)with different amplitudes (microdynamics)).
So single drivers will be more limited, especially physically smaller ones (tiny vibrating surface reproducing all frequencies at once is a physical challenge), and then even more so heavily tuned/processed drivers.

A case in point is The Droplet - when the lowest-register organ music tried to be reproduced - organ air hiss and ambient noise are grossly accentuated.
Not that The Droplet is not mightily capable overall for what it is, and I definitely became curios to explore more of Moondrop DSP - JIU ordered.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #77,322 of 103,458
So i just started another EQ project of mine, this time to have a gasp of how SR8 truly sound like using my EA500, and i just done with SR5, If any of you have both EA500 and SR5 can try it out and report back to me if they sound close enough, i would be grateful
graph (4).png

Graph of Gizaudio's EA500 looks close to akros so i use it as a base. Will try to do some math and I will have the graph of SR8 on akros measurement tool soon!
Edit: Update measure, almost perfect the SR8 graph
EQ EA500 project.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #77,323 of 103,458
The more I use the SR8 the more I'm finding little nuances with how well this IEM is tuned. I've been listening to PODCASTs on the 0-1 setting which is the bass down and treble up. It's similar to the Tangzu Waner but with better details, more reverberation when men with deeper voices speak and the seperation when multiple are speaking all at once is blowing my mind. Its like I'm sitting there in the studio or at table listening to the podcast and can differentiate who is speaking to whom.

20230425_063333.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #77,324 of 103,458
Produced in a linear sweep. So no limitations and distortions compared to real music reproduction (multiple frequencies together (resolution)with different amplitudes (microdynamics)).
So single drivers will be more limited, especially physically smaller ones (tiny vibrating surface reproducing all frequencies at once is a physical challenge), and then even more so heavily tuned/processed drivers.

A case in point is The Droplet - when the lowest-register organ music tried to be reproduced - organ air hiss and ambient noise are grossly accentuated.
Not that The Droplet is not mightily capable overall for what it is, and I definitely became curios to explore more of Moondrop DSP - JIU ordered.
Of course, a published FR graph is produced on a measuring rig with an unknown source. A potential purchaser will be using a different source, different cables, different signal and ear anatomy is not taken into account. Not very helpful!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #77,325 of 103,458
I see, saved. Did you have them right now, is it perform just fine ?

Oh by the way i found this shop which have some good looking diy cable, and pretty cheap Link
image_editor_1682405148589.jpg
image_editor_1682405158140.jpg
image_editor_1682405166081.jpg
image_editor_1682405179647.jpg
Yes, I've been using iPods as my sole DAPs for around 6 years with rockbox now. Rock solid :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back