The discovery thread!
Apr 17, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #76,591 of 103,277
F38B6FBE-622A-4DC5-9D4C-F38EF7080360.png

The 2 kHz to 5 kHz is the Pinna flange region. There is no specific amount of kHz which determines it’s center. Meaning you could in fact call it 3 kHz to 4 kHz, but it is the area of sound waves which are amplified by the tissue of the exterior ear. That is why IEMs have it and full-size don’t. Because you are accessing the Pinna gain with full-size use. The reason I chose to use it to describe the Vocal Cable is because this area of hearing is specifically designed around the human voice. And in particular the female voice.

Such is the protective mechanism when a bear came into the cave and your prehistoric Mom yelled out. Or more relaxed your Mom called you for dinner. We were literally designed to communicate with our ears....and the Vocal frequency is the Pinna Gain area. In fact with-in that area typically we notice even 1/4 dB to 1/2 dB changes!

But yes, you can call it ear-gain, means the same.
I’m curious what Harman’s principal fellow Dr. Sean (@seamolive) would respond.

Maybe throw summarized version of that to him on twitter?

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #76,592 of 103,277
That looks very similar to the Hifi Walker H2 which uses the PCM5102 DAC.
As far as I know, there are many models from AGPTek and other obscure Chinese brands, which have rebranded the same model. And I think when AGPTek stopped making decent repros (I think the last decent one was the Rocker), in Europe HiFi Walker took over.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #76,593 of 103,277

Buddy, I’ve watched whole lectures on the subject. Seriously why? It gets corrected often in lectures and no one worries, so you understand as to why? Because it’s a arbitrary figure. There’s no exact kHz where it officially starts or stops. I have seen lecturers get corrected during a lecture on it, and they don’t argue back. It’s an arbitrary figure. Why would I talk to Dr Olive on the subject what ever he says is fine too. Your fully not grasping what I’m saying. This isn’t a pissing contest, so why make one out of it?

My post is in relation to the terminology, that can be many things too.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #76,594 of 103,277
I loved the Blon 03, but these recent YouTube collaborations, to me, are wrong. They are diluting the real improvements in IEM sound quality, just for a dose of ego gratification. The real IEM movement is to give us great sound enjoyment and I would rather see we, as the IEM audience, taken into account, as in putting us first, rather than satisfying cursory ego's.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #76,595 of 103,277
This reminds me elden ring and dark souls
e1.png
e2.png
675088-Dark-Souls-ornstein-video-games-minimalism-simple.jpg
a868d6ca9c8600e43fc53c03bae0a03e.jpg

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #76,596 of 103,277
3D03E9F5-FFCE-4270-B612-E8A465FD939A.jpeg

Dsnuts even put the Vocal with the new $2999.00 TSMR Flagship (The RGB) and it didn’t slow it down. It’s not his favorite cable with the IEM, but it didn’t hinder playback either! I will stop referring to the Vocal, as I have said enough! :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #76,597 of 103,277
I loved the Blon 03, but these recent YouTube collaborations, to me, are wrong. They are diluting the real improvements in IEM sound quality, just for a dose of ego gratification. The real IEM movement is to give us great sound enjoyment and I would rather see we, as the IEM audience, taken into account, as in putting us first, rather than satisfying cursory ego's.
Counterpoint: cheaper collabs and tuning jobs (Mele, 7Hz Zero) were a big part of making the budget range a fertile ground for competitive, well tuned sets that are more affordable.

I’m not buying all the collabs but they absolutely have been a net-positive for the hobby

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #76,598 of 103,277
Counterpoint: cheaper collabs and tuning jobs (Mele, 7Hz Zero) were a big part of making the budget range a fertile ground for competitive, well tuned sets that are more affordable.

I’m not buying all the collabs but they absolutely have been a net-positive for the hobby
I appreciated the first collaborations, but now it has been exhausted. Let the YouTuber's step back and let's make IEM sound special at every price point. Once is enough.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #76,600 of 103,277

I can see both of the views making sense to a certain degree, it’s not binary all or nothing.

There are ego part in the motivation and there are price competition pressure.

At least now we see less collaborations, I was sick big brands sold their name to reviwers every week last year, but if it’s 1 or 2 quarterly, maybe it’s enjoyable.

Brand value is an intangible property that amortizes.

Reviewer Collaboration cost brand value to amortize its value, if Brand keep selling their emblem routinely, it will lose value.

At that point, the majority of their core customers may throw a question to the brand.

“So…you gave up offering your house sound and borrowing reviewers name in selling your own product?” “What are you after all? Maybe consider renaming because that brand now means nothing”

I want not only brands to be aware of managing their intangible goodwill values but also reviewers to pay attention. “too many collaborations will destroy your partners”

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #76,601 of 103,277

The 2 kHz to 5 kHz is the Pinna flange region. There is no specific amount of kHz which determines it’s center. Meaning you could in fact call it 3 kHz to 4 kHz, but it is the area of sound waves which are amplified by the tissue of the exterior ear. That is why IEMs have it and full-size don’t. Because you are accessing the Pinna gain with full-size use. The reason I chose to use it to describe the Vocal Cable is because this area of hearing is specifically designed around the human voice. And in particular the female voice.

Such is the protective mechanism when a bear came into the cave and your prehistoric Mom yelled out. Or more relaxed your Mom called you for dinner. We were literally designed to communicate with our ears....and the Vocal frequency is the Pinna Gain area. In fact with-in that area typically we notice even 1/4 dB to 1/2 dB changes!

But yes, you can call it ear-gain, means the same.
An amazing graph, thank you!

And even more "amazing" (while feeble to me) an attempt to convolute real science and non-existing cable attenuation.

No cable attenuation, sorry to repeat it all over, loud and clear!

The attenuation is very easy to measure in the circuits very precisely.
None is ever shown out there, again, and cable manufactures, whom I contacted, all were clearly distancing from such claims!

Even slightest improvement in the cable fit can matter more, then psychoacoustic of the colours, and possible improvements from the poor stock cable.

All of the above does not need anything beyond $25-$50 for well-made (good plating, good soldering and connectors) low-resistance cables.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #76,602 of 103,277
I can see both of the views making sense to a certain degree, it’s not binary all or nothing.

There are ego part in the motivation and there are price competition pressure.

At least now we see less collaborations, I was sick big brands sold their name to reviwers every week last year, but if it’s 1 or 2 quarterly, maybe it’s enjoyable.
There’s always going to be pushback from a business model because you never please everybody. Some people don’t like reviewer/influencer collaborations, some people talk bad about how Penon operates, while some people don’t agree with how Aür Audio does things.

Every company is bringing something to the table that the hobby is benefitting from, even if it isn’t for you. There’s more than enough space (and enough viable competition across price brackets) to find whatever is best for you. And that’s a great thing.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #76,604 of 103,277
There’s always going to be pushback from a business model because you never please everybody. Some people don’t like reviewer/influencer collaborations, some people talk bad about how Penon operates, while some people don’t agree with how Aür Audio does things.

Every company is bringing something to the table that the hobby is benefitting from, even if it isn’t for you. There’s more than enough space (and enough viable competition across price brackets) to find whatever is best for you. And that’s a great thing.
Yes, I was online forum community manager for the online games.

Every aspect of discussions will have opposing opinion, I see brands are reacting to the market as we sparked rage against weekly collaborations on head-fi.

They slowed down collaboration pace since last December.

It’s a good sign that brand owners are not brain-less, they do pay attention to customers feedback.

I hope brands to set “brand premium” management as higher priority task in keeping those reputations.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #76,605 of 103,277

But at times it’s just called 3 kHz. So they must zero in on the most sensitive area, which is actually the female voice, as we are more sensitive to female speaking.

So this is wild, where this says the brain expects the sound? So is it a true value of hearing the sound waves or neurological?

Edit:

It means without the Pinna that would be the area that’s amplified, thus IEMs.

But literally the whole hearing set-up is centered around the female voice. The Pinna amplifies it, and it is the main FR heard into which the most sensitive hearing is.

8A492731-E214-461A-B063-3526633944CA.jpeg
45F01A70-9901-49FF-BE08-A831CA636EE5.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back