The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #76,562 of 106,829
To help everyone understand what they 7Hz has done to the Legato is they maximized room response. Such a phenomena arrives by speakers in a room having sound waves which bounce around inside of the cabinet then fire into the back wall and sidewalls, thus reflecting back and competing with the forward firing frequency response. This term room response has been tested and documented as there is no argument as to its existence. The next thing they did was give a rise to the 6.5Khz to balance and pull-off such a heavy tune. 6kHz to 8kHz is the (anti) sibilance region (at times higher) which due to the nature of the 2nd 6mm tweeter/midrange driver all is well. The 12mm bass driver is nice, though due to the ramifications of delivering such bass response, we arrive with fallout. Such artifacts are found in slowness and lack of timbre. Still for the money these do many things right and are wildly entertaining. Matching them to a more mid centric DAP and a bright cable (Silver/Copper) seemed to be a way out of the fog adding pace and visibility. The end-all is a style of slide and roll which makes up the definitive description of held 7Hz Legato pace.

The description of room response was also the big change for Sony going from a more linear neutral Sony R-10, to an actual room response generator, the 2014 Sony MRD-Z7!

A complete Redcarmoose Review in a day or so?
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/featured-home/products/7hz-legato

DSC_0072.jpegqwq.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.18.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #76,563 of 106,829
OMG! Wide-bore tips and the Penon Vocal cable dial this sucker in. That and Midnight v2 (for 1A) - Plus v1 Firmware mod by MrWalkman. I'm all done, this $69.00 cable is truly heaven? There is something to adding the Pinna Gain into the FR, as vocals were just OK, before this add, now it's sublime?
DSC_0071.jpegsun.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #76,564 of 106,829
If you can stretch your budget to $750 from SA6 MKI’s $560, then you get $4000 class IEM, SR8👍

No I’m not joking. It’s Neutral | Warm Neutral | Mild U lover’s dream.

Wow how do these compare with the Sony M7 or M9 (if you have heard em)?

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #76,565 of 106,829
Hmm unfortunately I’m living very audiophile unfriendly place, no chance in auditioning unless I purchase those.

I’ll visit Japan this fall and planning to visit e-earphone /fujiya-avic to audition those TOTLs, I can give a feedback based on that.

So far SR8 nailed warm-neutral category perfectly, I find it plays above my best sounding IEMs like Anole VX / Neon Pro and MEST MKII, so it’s fair to say that SR8 player in higher league with fractions of the cost offered.

SA6 is still S- tier for me but others I mentioned above belongs higher class in terms of sonic performance.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #76,566 of 106,829

Good question. I'm just sitting here trying to think of a USD $4000 IEM. The UM Mentor Multiverse? From what I gather, that IEM stomps almost all of the well known kilobuck in terms of technical performance (resolution, imaging, staging). SR8 against Mentor? That would be fun.

Personally, if SA6 Mk II can get ultra close to Andromeda 2020, but with proper bass, I'll be comfortable considering it "endgame" for most sane audio geeks. We are not sane anymore when we consider buying Mentor, the bird, or the Jewels. We are dragon chasers, and for chasers, the sky is the limit :beyersmile:

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #76,567 of 106,829
Whoever is behind Sound Rhyme, they need to create a 6BA 1+ 1DD hybrid, or a EST + 2BA + 2DD tribrid, and charge $800 for it, and i'll jump on that during Christmas, and be done with it all? Really, for me, the SR5 really only needs a bit of air and treble extension, and a touch bit more resolution, and it's ENDGAME. So if SR can make that happen and come in under $1,000, then it's worth investing in it and then getting out.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #76,569 of 106,829
OMG! Wide-bore tips and the Penon Vocal cable dial this sucker in. That and Midnight v2 (for 1A) - Plus v1 Firmware mod by MrWalkman. I'm all done, this $69.00 cable is truly heaven? There is something to adding the Pinna Gain into the FR, as vocals were just OK, before this add, now it's sublime?DSC_0071.jpegsun.jpeg
Any similarly performing cable for the Legato that is not so full of bling? I tried several times, and my finger refuses to click on the "add to cart" button...

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #76,570 of 106,829
Good question. I'm just sitting here trying to think of a USD $4000 IEM. The UM Mentor Multiverse? From what I gather, that IEM stomps almost all of the well known kilobuck in terms of technical performance (resolution, imaging, staging). SR8 against Mentor? That would be fun.

Personally, if SA6 Mk II can get ultra close to Andromeda 2020, but with proper bass, I'll be comfortable considering it "endgame" for most sane audio geeks. We are not sane anymore when we consider buying Mentor, the bird, or the Jewels. We are dragon chasers, and for chasers, the sky is the limit :beyersmile:
Yea that would be interesting a 12BA MM going for 14BA SR8. Need some MM owner feeling lucky to pay 15% of $4,999 MM cost for $749 to find out.

For those rich sir, I think 15% of MM is almost a piece of cake.

Ah just noticed that thing has bone conduction drivers. So that would add extra layer of imaging. I believe from MEST MKII experience MM will perform better.

These days the Bigger brand Chinese companies pricing is getting ridiculous, this needs to stop.

Even UE Premier with 21BA offers it for $2,999 which actually making sense when looking at crazy high ballers.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #76,571 of 106,829
Yea that would be interesting a 12BA MM going for 14BA SR8. Need some MM owner feeling lucky to pay 15% of $4,999 MM cost for $749 to find out.

Ah just noticed that thing has bone conduction drivers. So that would add extra layer of imaging. I believe from MEST MKII experience MM will perform better.

These days the Bigger brand Chinese companies pricing is getting ridiculous, this needs to stop.

Even UE Premier with 21BA offers it for $2,999 which actually making sense when looking at crazy high ballers.
If i bought SR8, i can ask @yaps66 to compare both of them but not anytime soon. Seems like mentor is his favorite iem too!
Edit: don't know what i'm trying to say lol i need some sleep

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #76,572 of 106,829
I think my old AGPTEK H1 uses Wolfson... Still works well

2016-11-21_19-47-07+_r.jpg

Edit: I wrote a short review on Amazon when I bought it, back in 2016. At the time I had the Fiio X1, which I later sold to buy the X3II (also sold). However, I still have the H1. The sound of your Wolfson is special, the bass still sounds good now that I'm testing it with the KiiBOOM Evoke's, they have a vintage colour that I like.

http://www.agptek.com/index.php/pro...-4-inch-hd-display-supports-up-to-64gb-black/
That looks very similar to the Hifi Walker H2 which uses the PCM5102 DAC.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #76,573 of 106,829
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #76,574 of 106,829

Is anyone selling these besides Penon? I might grab one one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back