The discovery thread!
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #69,511 of 106,860
Nah it’s just a regular mmcx. I swap mmcx cables of Westone W80, FiiO FHE, and some others (I recall it was from my old shure or sth) to N5005 to see how it could change the signature, it all works, tonality-wise the stock is the best match, AKG people are just right about their final sonic product.

I recommend to filter this thread using seach function, “seach this thread, by keyword N5005” or sth, to effectively salvage information you are interested.
Thank you!
I had the feeling as if this 'issue' was one of those: "I read somewhere that blah blah blah"...
Now I have to figure out why I would need a set. Rats.

Cheers.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #69,512 of 106,860
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s12-planar-iem.25649/reviews#review-29829
DSC_0068.jpegwqretryityoioiuiytrewqq.jpeg

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #69,513 of 106,860
Funny that after i listen to it again, i realize that my EQ have turn on all the time, only for bluetooth... Well so here's newest impression about them. It have bigg bass from 40 to 200hz then kind of flat mid with a glide from 1khz to 3khz then hold it's db till a peak at 8,8khz, then come a dip at 10khz to a light peak at 11khz and last a huge 12khz peak then fade away. You could say it have big bass with mid kind of like Moondrop Chu and treble sound like cheap Audio technica iem. Personally i would say it's a pass for tone, good enough to not using wired iem! As for soundstage and imaging, still the same!
Edit: i think it have a dip at 6khz so it's not bright like Chu
That EQ, you may find your endgame in See Audio Bravery. Not cheap. I know.

But you may notice that’s ex-qdc’s engineering backed sound. Bravery isn’t a big name in Western market, but when you ask that in Japan, or Asian market, the consensus is different. Bravery is as highly regarded as Dusk and many prefers Bravery over Dusk.

Oh wait, I skipped your first part. So it’s your recap of Gamer No.1 tonality.
Gamer No.1’s tonality is somewhere between harman and dead flat. And you probably aren’t particularly interested in that default tuning. Gamer No.1 ‘s tuning is boring one I’d agree, nothing stands out, and not particularly colorless neither. If you like flat 1khz-4khz plateau with sub bass boost, and some gain compensation around sibilance region, Bravery is a thing you may take a look at, or maybe try the EQ

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #69,515 of 106,860
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #69,517 of 106,860
Its a much better color way, although I do not dig the cable color, subtle black would be great 👍

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #69,518 of 106,860
indeed, I have all NRA, Zex Pro, CRN.

I can do a quick wrap up when I get home among that three.

Hey SpringTip is good for some selective fews! Not a universally good ear tip design that I may agree.
I couldn’t find NRA…I recall it was green shell one I stored somewhere. Sorry!

I found ZEX, CRN(it has crin’s face on it 👀)
7461DF1E-EF88-4BC8-B3BB-FFA51C62D19D.jpeg

ZEX notes: Still holds $Value @2022-12
Listening to ZEX, and actually I’m quite impressed. Yea, it’s KZ’V as usual, and bass DD is slow and rough the EDX’s DD basically. But MST driver of ZEX is actually sounding healthy. I find ZEX to be actually what it should have been for KZ’s MST. Until KZ rushed into a gamble.

Not like CRN’s transient, because CRN’s transient decays too quick, unnaturally ceased timbre.

From my memory NRA was
“LISTEN!! NOW I CAN SHOUT WITH VERY HIGH PITCH! THIS IS ELECTROSTATIC”
After 10minutes of listening to NRA you want to call ambulance.

Then ZEX was somehow matured compared NRA, it’s KZ’s V, with 2khz shouty peak, ….reminds me of Moondrop Stellaris🥲

The resolution capability on ZEX is actually very interesting, now we are discussing Lea /Chu/ CRA the elite single dynamic $20 class, but ZEX actually has a higher resolution capabilities when compared to single dynamic.

I feel of you EQ ZEX, you may get a very good pair of IEM with very low budget.

CRN Notes:
Yea….why so mushy…the dynamic driver is being pushed above it’s natural transients. That’s the main cause of CRN’s failure. If KZ put 29696 full range Bellsing BA instead of EDX’s low-end DD, this could be prevented.

This is as similar feeling as you are forcing delinquent bad boy as a Michelin 3-star class French restaurant’s sommelier.

For reference, I found my old chart for EDX etc
32BE7686-D03F-4233-B878-852725DC4BDA.png

Forget about CRN….it’s a failure…

Now back to ZEX. Let me pull out GeekWold GK10. The controversial one.

9429A0AC-2D69-41BA-B7AE-56FD5F285813.jpeg

—ZEX and GK10 (Still Holds Value in Resolving capabilities)

▶︎GK10 has high mid-bass floor, so “bleed” hater may just avoid.

I lower the mid-bass floor with ear tips.

▶︎GK10 when compared to ZEX is much more neutral (when lowered mid-bass), almost instrument-neutral, the AFUL P5 level of neutral mid and upper registers.

Let me pull the FR of GK10 which I stored somewhere…
8BC89F45-A2E8-45C0-B14F-FACC842A8354.jpeg

Yes GK10 is nicely tuned.

▶︎The staging is very wide, but has weaknesses of hybrids’s timbre inconsistencies. If you value tonal consistency, pick single dynamic instead, like Salnotes Zero/ Lea.

▶︎Overall even at market of 2022-12, GK10 is much more detailed and fun set when compared to ZEX. Piezoelectric is a better solution than ZST at this moment.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #69,519 of 106,860
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #69,520 of 106,860
Hold button has been on Sonys FOREVER, maybe even other brands always had a hold switch on their CD Players. It’s like a butt dial deterrent, similar to what a modern day lock screen does for us today. You don’t wanna get an accidental button push to volume 30/30, blow your stuff up! 😎

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #69,521 of 106,860
I couldn’t find NRA…I recall it was green shell one I stored somewhere. Sorry!

I found ZEX, CRN(it has crin’s face on it 👀)
7461DF1E-EF88-4BC8-B3BB-FFA51C62D19D.jpeg

ZEX notes:
Listening to ZEX, and actually I’m quite impressed. Yea, it’s KZ’V as usual, and bass DD is slow and rough the EDX’s DD basically. But MST driver of ZEX is actually sounding healthy. I find ZEX to be actually what it should have been for KZ’s MST. Until KZ rushed into a gamble.

Not like CRN’s transient, it decays too quick.

From my memory NRA was
“LISTEN!! NOW I CAN SHOUT WITH VERY HIGH PITCH! THIS IS ELECTROSTATIC”
After 10minutes of listening to NRA you want to call ambulance.

Then ZEX was somehow matured compared NRA, it’s KZ’s V, with 2khz shouty peak, ….reminds me of Moondrop Stellaris🥲

The resolution capability on ZEX is actually very interesting, now we discusses Lea /Chu/ CRA the elite single dynamic $20 class, but ZEX actually has a higher resolution capabilities when compared to single dynamic.

I feel of you EQ ZEX, you may get a very good pair of IEM with very low budget.

CRN Notes:
Yea….why so mushy…the dynamic driver is being pushed above it’s natural transients. That’s the main cause of CRN’s failure. If KZ put 29696 full range Bellsing BA instead of EDX’s low-end DD, this could be prevented.

This is as similar feeling as you are forcing delinquent bad boy as a Michelin 3-star class French restaurant’s sommelier.

Forget about CRN….it’s a failure…

Now back to ZEX. Let me pull out GeekWold GK10. The controversial one.

9429A0AC-2D69-41BA-B7AE-56FD5F285813.jpeg

Now comparing ZEX and GK10…

+1 for the ZEX. Very underrated. 👍

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #69,523 of 106,860
This review reads like marketing materials sometimes :beyersmile:

But I agree with all of your points. Big and snappy bass, love-it-or-hate-it treble, and so-so soundstage but excellent resolution.

On an unrelated note, what is the purpose of that “hold” switch on the side of your DAP?
Wait? What? It is in-fact marketing material, but it is also exactly how I hear them. The hold switch was partially answered, it also adds the ability to have two versions of MrWalkman’s software installed simultaneously, with an enhanced version (of MrWalkman’s) if the player is turned on with the switch down and another a regular version of his software while turned on with the switch up. Plus there are various regions in which the software interfaces with the region settings to further sequence the tone into a slightly different tone. Sony released the players to sound specifically different in all parts of the world, like eating spaghetti at a McDonald’s in Italy. That region setting can be done with the Rockbox tool, or inside the player depending on which version of the custom software is accessed.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #69,525 of 106,860
I’ll stick with the original. I don’t think it really needed a re-tune.
Agree.

Enough Crin & HBB collab already for 2022…. We are buying IEM Brand’s intangible tuning / esprit/philosophy per se, not reviwer’s fame. Not chasing HBB and Crin’s butt.

IEM Brands needs to think twice, that collaboration is something.

Something that we can co-related to sleeping with somebody.

If once a year, or first-timer to let public know your existence, maybe.

But occasional affairs?
Nah…don’t overdose.

I guess even to their hardcore fanbase, that pace of collaboration is a bit too overwhelming , well just my personal view nothing more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back