The discovery thread!
Dec 19, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #69,361 of 103,953
Hmmmm i just got my 7hz Zero, hmm it sound good but hmmm i don't think it will steal my ears like my N3ap, even CRA, or DQ6 .... Hmmmmmm
Indeed, its just for instrument audiophilia. Not an exciting sound. I chose Wan'er SG because of the higher bass shelf, more musical neutral sound

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #69,364 of 103,953
New KZ pokemon is out,
KZ DQS (1 DD, $14)
KZTWS Site
KZ AliExpress

---
Its using CXS DD but with cheaper shell to drive the price down and different tuning.
CXS DD itself is very good technical DD for $20 segment comparatively to other heavy weight iems in the segment
but its marred with meh tuning from KZ when its compared to others $20 heavy weight iems tunings
and DQS seems not changing it much, but hopefully i could be wrong.

1671446730987.png1671446755373.png
they reused the lyra shell with the nozzle and used a new faceplate. ive modded my lyras to a larger nozzle and it sounds really good. i plan to do the same with these

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #69,365 of 103,953
First up, the N5005 come with some propetiary MMCX connectors, so aftermarket cables won't work. Which is a bummer and potential deal breaker for some. No doubt, it comes with a 3.5 and 2.5 mm cable and a BT cable, but some might wanna use their own aftermarket 4.4 mm cable?
That saves me a couple C notes. As I‘m not a fan of the wearable pieces being proprietary.
I’ve shied away from the Sennheiser IE series for their custom tips (which effect the tuning) and Sony’s IER for having a unique termination.

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #69,366 of 103,953
Hmmmm i just got my 7hz Zero, hmm it sound good but hmmm i don't think it will steal my ears like my N3ap, even CRA, or DQ6 .... Hmmmmmm
I guess it will be a good experience to extend your arm for differently tuned IEM that is not your cup of tea.
7Hz Salnotes zero is indeed least energetic one compared to CRA and DQ6, as it’s tuned to satisfy audiophile’s “I want something that sounds inoffensive but well balances” needs.

Where most of sub$50 IEMs are cooked with Tomato Ketchup, BBQ sauce, Honey Mustard, those contains sugar, 7Hz cooked their dish with only Sal, and maybe 1 small teaspoon of vinegar.

That could be perceived as less engaged IEM at a time. But as you start to accumulate BBQ sauce, Tomato ketchup, one day you may notice. “Hmm it’s a bit too much. I’d
Rather take it with salt and vinegar”

Game on mate.
How’s Gamer No.1, still waiting?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #69,367 of 103,953
That saves me a couple C notes. As I‘m not a fan of the wearable pieces being proprietary.
I’ve shied away from the Sennheiser IE series for their custom tips (which effect the tuning) and Sony’s IER for having a unique termination.
You can use MMCX finish to N5005, not completely proprietary. It’s just that mmcx is somewhat minority in IEM wolrd. Only countable few brands use that and many cable shops don’t have mmcx options.

Mmcx is better than qdc finish though…that’s proprietary finish, and you could run into self-proclaimed qdc, but actually a kz-c universal finish.

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #69,368 of 103,953
As for the soundpeats gamer no.1... Wow the soundstage and imaging is really spot on!
Nvm just saw this post!

Great to hear you love it👍 I was not lying right? That’s MEST MKII class staging management I was talking about.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #69,369 of 103,953
I guess it will be a good experience to extend your arm for differently tuned IEM that is not your cup of tea.
7Hz Salnotes zero is indeed least energetic one compared to CRA and DQ6, as it’s tuned to satisfy audiophile’s “I want something that sounds inoffensive but well balances” needs.

Where most of sub$50 IEMs are cooked with Tomato Ketchup, BBQ sauce, Honey Mustard, those contains sugar, 7Hz cooked their dish with only Sal, and maybe 1 small teaspoon of vinegar.

That could be perceived as less engaged IEM at a time. But as you start to accumulate BBQ sauce, Tomato ketchup, one day you may notice. “Hmm it’s a bit too much. I’d
Rather take it with salt and vinegar”

Game on mate.
How’s Gamer No.1, still waiting?
After spend more time with them i think they're quite good, it remind me of Heart Mirror but not as crips as HM, timbre not as organic, but yeah really good iem but not for 2khz pinna like me

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #69,370 of 103,953
ooh, thats a model i heard before, in this thread if i recalled it right. same praise, great the soundstage and imaging
too bad it wasn't advertised enough
People thought I was crazy back then. Claiming odd looking “Gamer No.1” silly named IEM as “it has MEST MKII level of sound stage capabilities and good for music”

Gamer No.1 is a poor 2DD IEM. So’ here is the tomb marker.

SoundPeats Gamer No.1
Tuning: Instrument-Neutral
Overall | B-
Tonality | B+
Resolution | D+
Overall Coherence | A+

1. Diffusion Field coherence | S+
  2. Image coordinate positioning coherence | S
  3. Image Focusing Coherence | C+
  4. Sound wave momentum & Sound Image vectoring coherence | A-
Odd-ball shall be remembered. Rest-In-Rainbow Colored Peace with Gaming Mode on that comes with unreasonable bass boost to kill your sales point.

2018-2022

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #69,371 of 103,953
So I got a chance to check out the new to me NiceHCK NX7 Mk4 last night. What a nice surprise. They improved the sound but man what a lost opportunity. They need to move on from that same shell design. I like the comfort of it but why do I have a feeling if they put them same drivers in a more spacious housing it would sound even better.

I suppose they have to keep costs down and one way to do that is by using the same shells. Will be focusing my thoughts on them as well as the Shuoer S12 pros this week.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #69,372 of 103,953
After spend more time with them i think they're quite good, it remind me of Heart Mirror but not as crips as HM, timbre not as organic, but yeah really good iem but not for 2khz pinna like me
I see.

Are you sure you have your resonance peak situated at 2khz? Most of audiences are around 2.5kHz-3.5kHz, so unless you have an extraordinarily low resonance spot, You may try tone generator to test it once again.

if you feel Salnotes Zero sounds off-tuned and DQ6 to be hitting your spot, you may have 2.3khz pinna resonance spot
& 4.6khz second peak. The first peak, it’s personal preference to whether having a spot-on or dip, but for second peak, unless someone is extreme treble head, you want a small dip around that area.

Moondrop’s Blessing2 failed that and has a little peak around 6khz while
They placed first peak as 3khz. I believe that’s the main reason Moondrop decided to tame the 6kHz peak with their stock small-bore eartip. And when listeners conducted the ear tip roll to wide bore one, that little 6khz peak will be bothersome to some.

Truthear HEXA, perhaps knew that flaw, and tuned HEXA perfectly without 6khz peak that B2/Dusk had. B2 also had a bit too rolled of treble resulting some claim it as “a tad lack in air”

Another reason I value HEXA’s tuning as claimed it as refined blessing’s 6khz peak, refined mid with mastery Softear’s Reference Sound tuning, and fixed upper
Treble with Bravery’s tuning.
0BAD21DE-81DB-4B8B-84B3-171A2F5C3C6A.png
A2C03355-5F7F-453B-BEF3-50CE465A285D.png

From my experience, if the IEM’s peak is 1000 away from your own HRTF peak, it will sound off tone. Some IEM actually utilizes that technic to make Sound inoffensive, less edgy, less nasal, less vocal-forward, and some takes risk to try tag their peak to ones peak for a perfect resonances.

Moondrop’s VDSF is known as spot seeker. If you see any IEM has 2khz and 4khz peak with 2.5khz-3.5khz dip, that’s a dip tuner. For modern busy tracks, dip tuning actually reduces stress(engagement) for listening of which some listeners may find it very pleasant sounding.
60ACB6B7-510F-44E9-AE5D-5FC9156F256C.png
B0210023-98FD-4F1F-A9DE-422D6D604EC6.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #69,373 of 103,953
I see.

Are you sure you have your resonance peak situated at 2khz? Most of audiences are around 2.5kHz-3.5kHz, so unless you have an extraordinarily low resonance spot, You may try tone generator to test it once again.

if you feel Salnotes Zero sounds off-tuned and DQ6 to be hitting your spot, you may have 2.3khz pinna resonance spot
& 4.6khz second peak.

From my experience, if the IEM’s peak is 1000 away from your own HRTF peak, it will sound off tone. Some IEM actually utilizes that technic to make Sound inoffensive, less edgy, less nasal, less vocal-forward, and some takes risk to try tag their peak to ones peak for a perfect resonances.

Moondrop’s VDSF is known as spot seeker. If you see any IEM has 2khz and 4khz peak with 2.5khz-3.5khz dip, that’s a dip tuner. For modern busy tracks, dip tuning actually reduces stress(engagement) for listening of which some listeners may find it very pleasant sounding.
my pinna gain at around 2.6khz-2.7khz not 2khz sorry :D for me Zero sound hmm kind of edgy, sound like unrefine version of heart mirror, maybe because i always leaning toward better timbre and better articulate point, this sound kinda flat

Dec 19, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #69,375 of 103,953
Just got the Aful Performer 5 today, absolutley love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back