The discovery thread!
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #69,331 of 104,742
How have been your experience using ISN EST50?
Are they really crazy for EDM?
Dubstep, Drum & Bass, PsyTrance, Hardstyle, Tech House.
When it come to EDM, i trust this guy @Redcarmoose . There's fatfreq maestro mini aswell, i'm not into basshead iem so

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #69,332 of 104,742
Yea I was thinking Final E is old school, but when tried with Performer 5, it had pretty warm and nice bass resonance. Final E still can do good job to some good matching ones.

Just like Final E = Get Final E500 $20 which comes with full set of Final E,

Moondrop Spring Tip = Get Chu$19, it comes with full set of Spring Tips if separately bought $12.99

Also if you get Moondrop’s Stellaris, around $109. It comes with full set of Softwars UC (S, M, L). If separately bought it only has Sx2 or Mx2 or Lx2 for $19. Stellaris, is questionable one from Moondrop. Sounds like KZ’s ZS10 in terms of tuning. Can handle some acoustic genre pretty well, and Planar driver’s spec is very good.

My speculation is that KZ and Moondrop sent their product design to same ODM. ODM mistakenly put KZ’s Planar design as Moondrop Stellaris, and Moondrop’s Design as KZ PR1PRO. That makes sense.

KZ curve.
873DDF00-68C1-4A7F-9E08-5E685261C1C7.png

Moondrop Curve
F5B222E7-F998-4D81-90CF-02E436AB7BE2.png
From my understanding (no special insights), KZ is much closer to OEM, if not directly owning some.
I was looking into buying Stellaris (I love this type of sound signature). The long nozzles were scary, so I ended up with another very similar planar (Muse), very likely with the same driver. This earlier-generation planar driver is wild, so perhaps even Moondop could not tame such wilderness. Also, important to note, the same graph for planars and DDs sound noticeably different.
KZ developed their own planar drive (or at least did their own heavy modifications, for instance not using an enclosure as in most of early planar drivers).
20221205_174940.jpg

Finally to mention is the testament to KZ robustness- good old KZ ZSN went through the full washing cycle three (!!!) times (not me, not guilty to IEM cruelty, our daughter). On the third time, one of the meshes was lost, the BA is directly in the nozzle - so I thought they are done for sure. Nope!! Still very much enjoyable and even fresher looking than ever before :)
KZ need to go through PLA13 and PR1 Balance+Hifi before reaching PR1 Pro.
it was constant request to tune it "to be more balanced", reduce the bass to get more clarity, and finally reach PR1 Pro who still need Foams to deal with that rather harsh"clarity"

graph(4).png
---

and oh, i was trying to spend my time with my PR1 Pro with stock setup to see whats what and its a bit underwhelming. pretty good for $42, not sure its that competitive in $80 segment.
but then i finally goes "eh lets just use balanced cable". Planar would love more juice and yuup, everything is beautiful again.
the vocal is not quite upfront but it is in the center, encircled by instrument.
bass is now somewhat impactful, bass guitar while still melds in the background in some songs is now more easily found, guitar is super sharp, vocals... detailed but not "lush". its a bit dry. pretty high in resolution, tough it came with a bit of harshness in the treble.

the staging... everything have proper "space" with noticeable "gap" between instrument which suppose to be good. especially done with 1 driver.
but the issue being the placement of instrument is a fair bit different that i used to and its not quite "grand" sounding somehow.
it feels like a band in a stage that is too big for their group and they got a bit too spaced out.

bracket redefining at @80? eeeh.
competitive sounding with balanced cable at $80. i guess yeah. not like i have alot of iem in that price bracket tough.
The balanced cables by themselves do not do anything (similarly to "silver" and "copper"). They only enable using some sources efficiently, since balanced implementation is easier to deliver more power.
There are few sources out there where the "balanced" output is just an adaptor to non-balanced, and many sources can deliver all the needed power non-balanced.
Then there are all the different synergies between transducers and sources.
Missing your source in your story!

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #69,334 of 104,742
I'm guessing you have read about EST50 and you like good sub bass. EST50 should be a good performing IEM with subwoofer like bass. Personally I like to have my subwoofer on for the genres you mentioned. Still there is alot IEMs thats good with bass heavy fast electronica genres. Just a tip many of the hardstyle and Dubstep songs are badly made and often sound better on cheap consumer sets. Or IEMs that sound more analog and not super detailed, can only reccomend Penon Serial from top of my mind.
This depends again as many Artists make good Electronica that sounds spectacular on higher end gear with good detail.
Badly made techno or just differently mixed techno?

Well, really much of the standard Techno is mixed slightly different than what you will come across for rock/classical trebles. Where it is essential that the way upper treble cuts through the mix (in club playback) for much of the EDM genre has this stark treble that an IEM will often display as unrefined or (bright) simply just a slightly different mix than with rock, classical etc etc.

They (the producers) are (maybe) more interested in the live playback scenario where the top shelf needs to make it through the room. But I agree in how different the techno mixes are in general, in a way it’s a unique genre unto itself with IEMs. And.......this isn’t even beginning to speak of the low-end bumps. But truly those I have better luck with (the bass) being different than the rest of the genres too!

The other thing is the Techno is never a real recording of an instrument, so it may have different goals sound wise? Where regular music is not 100% synths. But I totally agree on how cheap consumer sets do well with reproducing the tune, often better than top-end “audiophile” sets, as they don’t have the treble abilities to make you hear that set of frequencies!

But what’s wild is the bass on the EST50 gets a (sculpted) enhancement from other aftermarket cables, other than the one supplied (ISN S8) cable at the start. Meaning the included cable is great and well rounded but a cleaner bass and more paced bass can be obtained with the EST50 upon changing the cable out. Like put on the ISN SC4 cable and watch what happens to the EST50 mids and treble due to the whole dynamics of the bass playback changing! Not necessarily saying the ISN SC4 playback is better, but I prefer it more than the S8 rendition? These are just different ways to perceive the ISN EST50!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #69,335 of 104,742
How have been your experience using ISN EST50?
Are they really crazy for EDM?
Dubstep, Drum & Bass, PsyTrance, Hardstyle, Tech House.
Oh boy, that genre. I love it too.

You may want BA bass to keep up with hard-psy. Preferably Sonion 38 or 37.

Or at least an LCP dynamic driver for it’s subwoofer. Other dynamic driver, unless its pure beryllium(not Beryllium coated), is not fast enough for complex and fast music like psytrance (Astrix, Hallucinogen, Vini Vici, etc) here is my fav one GMS they are the mix of Goa-trance and Psytrance.

I’m a music game addict (I play every Friday night at local Japanese Amusement Arcade “Round1” for rhythm games), and this even though being a music game is pretty good psytrance.
I didn’t find the exact track, so I uploaded my video which was taken like 3years ago

It’s in Japanese, but anyone can understand because it’s a graphical and auditorial guide. It’s from a sound engineer (composer) telling what’s happening to sound waves when more than 1 tone is mixed together with actual sound. (I have no slightest idea why this guy put his weight next to his name at intro😂, as if his weight is an important thing as a composer)

3 independent tones
15DB95BA-B625-42BF-9ABB-8F04DD458CF7.png

All mixed
ACC5A001-B696-475F-8C83-598F92CA6D47.png

Close look
44A9796F-97A1-4DF0-AA5B-8C40E15A75CC.png

BA5C81EB-3A2C-4E01-8497-D5E3E33F6DD9.png

You can visually see how sensitive those mixture of final wave even from just 3 tones are. Imaging electronica with hundreds of them mixed together.

As you see bass wave has long wave length, it generally takes distortions when complexity takes place, that’s why I’m suggesting BA bass for electronica.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #69,336 of 104,742
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #69,339 of 104,742
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #69,341 of 104,742
From my understanding (no special insights), KZ is much closer to OEM, if not directly owning some.
I was looking into buying Stellaris (I love this type of sound signature). The long nozzles were scary, so I ended up with another very similar planar (Muse), very likely with the same driver. This earlier-generation planar driver is wild, so perhaps even Moondop could not tame such wilderness. Also, important to note, the same graph for planars and DDs sound noticeably different.
KZ developed their own planar drive (or at least did their own heavy modifications, for instance not using an enclosure as in most of early planar drivers).
20221205_174940.jpg
Finally to mention is the testament to KZ robustness- good old KZ ZSN went through the full washing cycle three (!!!) times (not me, not guilty to IEM cruelty, our daughter). On the third time, one of the meshes was lost, the BA is directly in the nozzle - so I thought they are done for sure. Nope!! Still very much enjoyable and even fresher looking than ever before :)

The balanced cables by themselves do not do anything (similarly to "silver" and "copper"). They only enable using some sources efficiently, since balanced implementation is easier to deliver more power.
There are few sources out there where the "balanced" output is just an adaptor to non-balanced, and many sources can deliver all the needed power non-balanced.
Then there are all the different synergies between transducers and sources.
Missing your source in your story!
i use BTR5 which have dual dac and dual amp for the balanced out.
it also basically more than doubled the power output compared to the 3.5mm out.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #69,342 of 104,742
i use BTR5 which have dual dac and dual amp for the balanced out.
it also basically more than doubled the power output compared to the 3.5mm out.

Yeah, I'm only aware of Topping G5 as the one with "fake" balanced output. IMHO, if a portable source offer balanced output, use balanced. It's not because balanced is definitely better, but it's because the single-ended output is likely an afterthought.

Desktop is a different story. For example, I couldn't careless if the G5's 4.4mm is not truely balanced because it's single-ended performance is still very powerful.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #69,343 of 104,742
ive finaly receive the right filter for Meaoes Eagle hybrid....this tame sibilance a bit but doesn't save them from sounding plain bad imo
i hope to be able to endure them more than 5min for a full detailed review, until then, this is a first impressions video of 4 iems including this Eagle.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #69,344 of 104,742
Yeah, I'm only aware of Topping G5 as the one with "fake" balanced output. IMHO, if a portable source offer balanced output, use balanced. It's not because balanced is definitely better, but it's because the single-ended output is likely an afterthought.

Desktop is a different story. For example, I couldn't careless if the G5's 4.4mm is not truely balanced because it's single-ended performance is still very powerful.
There is also a.c.g balanced mode with the same voltage/power but improved background noise and stability.

Fiio is notorious for undermining their single ended outputs. Fiio actually hooked me into balanced with Q1-II (now I revisit this DAC of my first " audiophile" experience with its warm signature full of the background noise with a chuckle).

It never occured to me to try single-ended outputs in my BTR3K and BTR5 :)

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #69,345 of 104,742
There is also a.c.g balanced mode with the same voltage/power but improved background noise and stability.

Fiio is notorious for undermining their single ended outputs. Fiio actually hooked me into balanced with Q1-II (now I revisit this DAC of my first " audiophile" experience with its warm signature full of the background noise with a chuckle).

It never occured to me to try single-ended outputs in my BTR3K and BTR5 :)
Good description of the Q1 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back