The discovery thread!
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #69,406 of 102,843
If i recalled it right, Band8 is 1DD+3 high freq BA+4mid freq BA.
it was posted here shortwhile ago.
Just revisited, band8 review confirmed following:

Band 8 (Performer 8)
1 bio diaphragm DD
4 Sonion Mid BA
3 Knowles High BA
4 way crossover, 3 way tube

-warm, vocal forward, rolled off treble which had reviewer to comment “lack of air”
FR from that review
91D78CF9-33A5-4829-B0DB-4B8F38BAD249.png

P8 is very colored IEM it seems. The tuning something new. Bass-rolled Mid-centric.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #69,408 of 102,843
A question about something old but would help me in a purchase. Sennheiser HD 660s vs HD650 vs Drop/Senn 611? Which one for listening to music?
You’d better ask in full-size headphone thread, or help thread.

As a 20 year owner of HD650, and I’ve tried HD600, and owning similar tuned HD560S, I’d recommend HD650, for warm-neutral Sennheiser’s tuning. I haven’t tried HD660S, so you may ask someone tried all of those.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #69,409 of 102,843
You are so right! Why are all the audio manufacturers making wireless headphones and earphones, because we are a dying breed. Most of what we buy will be vintage in no time.

From the other end, wireless tech is improving fast. Music streaming is mainstream and gaining in popularity. A bit more improvement in LDAC, AptX and we (audio enthusiasts) are relics of the past.

Tell a "layman" you are an audio enthusiast and the first thing they ask is a recommendation for a good set of headphones or earphones with ANC! You say, you are into wired sets and you get a weird look.

The huge companies are moving fast, with huge budgets churning out good imitations of audiophile gear. Above all it does not make financial sense to focus on audio enthusiasts, when there is a huge "lay" consumer market waiting for good quality sound.....why would Apple, Sony, Samsung bother to invest so much money in audio otherwise? They, ("lay" consumers) enjoy music just as much as we do, they can tell good sound......sorry, but not long to go before we become dinosaurs.
Very very similar situation for internal combustion engine cars…
World is moving toward EVs. Just like TWS trends.

I just can’t take the EV with heartful enjoyment knowing that EV’s are the future and faster than traditional “horse” cars.

Wired IEMs has “life” where TWS to me is still a “high-tech” SONY electronic toy.

For that reason, I’ve gave up all of my savings, and had borrowed a huge amount of money from bank, for the last breed of internal combustion horse-powered car. It’s going to be a museum exhibition by few decades…

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #69,410 of 102,843
Just a note, the bass dd sounds very muddy right out of the box. Even at 30hrs of burn-in I still hear it.

Hope you get P5 soon! The rumble of the bass is something worth trying.
Hmm... So you didn't read that comment that AFUL actually burns in their IEMs before putting them in the packaging and shipping them out to customers? Someone dropped that info in this thread or the one about AFUL. I'd say that means the drivers should be 'properly aligned' from the get go in this case.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #69,411 of 102,843
Hmm... So you didn't read that comment that AFUL actually burns in their IEMs before putting them in the packaging and shipping them out to customers? Someone dropped that info in this thread or the one about AFUL. I'd say that means the drivers should be 'properly aligned' from the get go in this case.
Ah totally forgot that part…!!! Yea now I recall.

So it is how they configured their bass DD. No wonder I wasn’t convinced for any burn-in effect for P5. Thanks for bring it up👍

Haha I was wasting a time😂
Well maybe at least I confirmed that “AFUL does burn-in all of their IEMs before shipping” statement but retro-proofing burn-in notes.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #69,412 of 102,843
You are so right! Why are all the audio manufacturers making wireless headphones and earphones, because we are a dying breed. Most of what we buy will be vintage in no time.

From the other end, wireless tech is improving fast. Music streaming is mainstream and gaining in popularity. A bit more improvement in LDAC, AptX and we (audio enthusiasts) are relics of the past.

Tell a "layman" you are an audio enthusiast and the first thing they ask is a recommendation for a good set of headphones or earphones with ANC! You say, you are into wired sets and you get a weird look.

The huge companies are moving fast, with huge budgets churning out good imitations of audiophile gear. Above all it does not make financial sense to focus on audio enthusiasts, when there is a huge "lay" consumer market waiting for good quality sound.....why would Apple, Sony, Samsung bother to invest so much money in audio otherwise? They, ("lay" consumers) enjoy music just as much as we do, they can tell good sound......sorry, but not long to go before we become dinosaurs.
My guess was that wireless audio will probably surpass wired as sooner than we can imagine. Like Mirrorless cameras are doing to DSLRs in photography...

But its way more complicared because of how lithium loses capacity with cycles. Most of the Wireless are unreparaible and if the battery dies, its gone. Its designed to be discarded in few years. Enviromentally so wrong

Another problem for audiophile: the small circuits wont ever match the power and scalability of bigger electronics. A bluetooth DAC with wired connection wont be surpassed easily

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #69,413 of 102,843

Yeah, wireless is going to be the future no doubt, however...

Back in the 80's when CD's hit the market like a freight train. Oh no! Records will be dead. Turn tables will be dead. Phono amps...you get the idea.
In the late 90's, sure enough CD's everywhere and the first beginnings of MP3 players based on memory chips....
Then in the 2000's streaming services...

Here we are 20-30 years later: CD's still here. Vinyl records still around and popular. Turn tables & phono amps & DAPs - o yeah, what was your budget again?

I have the feeling wired headphones & IEM's will still be around when we are dust, well, I will be dust for sure...

Cheers.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #69,414 of 102,843
Hi new here I was wondering if anyone could help me find an iem with supreme details and good soundstage recently got the timeless and the stellaris and was so impressed with the stellaris that I want a set with slightly better details but significantly better soundstage to end my short foray into the iem sphere.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #69,415 of 102,843

I just can’t take the EV with heartful enjoyment knowing that EV’s are the future and faster than traditional “horse” cars.

Wired IEMs has “life” where TWS to me is still a “high-tech” SONY electronic toy.

For that reason, I’ve gave up all of my savings, and had borrowed a huge amount of money from bank, for the last breed of internal combustion horse-powered car. It’s going to be a museum exhibition by few decades…
Is the Eagle iem worth a purchase.? Penon is adding HiFi Boy osv3 free with purchase

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #69,416 of 102,843

I love the visceral grunt of the engine when you rev. At least we have a few years, both for the internal combustion engine and the wired sets, let us enjoy it while we can.

My guess was that wireless audio will probably surpass wired as sooner than we can imagine. Like Mirrorless cameras are doing to DSLRs in photography...

But its way more complicared because of how lithium loses capacity with cycles. Most of the Wireless are unreparaible and if the battery dies, its gone. Its designed to be discarded in few years. Enviromentally so wrong

Another problem for audiophile: the small circuits wont ever match the power and scalability of bigger electronics. A bluetooth DAC with wired connection wont be surpassed easily

Thankfully the battery issues will mean we will hold on to our wired sets but they might be collectables. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, wireless is going to be the future no doubt, however...

Back in the 80's when CD's hit the market like a freight train. Oh no! Records will be dead. Turn tables will be dead. Phono amps...you get the idea.
In the late 90's, sure enough CD's everywhere and the first beginnings of MP3 players based on memory chips....
Then in the 2000's streaming services...

Here we are 20-30 years later: CD's still here. Vinyl records still around and popular. Turn tables & phono amps & DAPs - o yeah, what was your budget again?

I have the feeling wired headphones & IEM's will still be around when we are dust, well, I will be dust for sure...

Cheers.

Yep, I still have my vinyl records (too many and too heavy, so they sit in flight cases on a concrete floor) and CD collection. The Technics turntable had to go but I have kept the rest, for a day when I have more space and reinforce the flooring or move house.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #69,417 of 102,843
Is the Eagle iem worth a purchase.? Penon is adding HiFi Boy osv3 free with purchase

If your ok with brigher highly detailed sound signatures. I can't speak for the OSV3 as I have never heard those but your essentaily getting a two IEM deal. All the newer retail versions of the Eagles have the updated nozzle screens in them too. I went into detail of their positives and negatives so you might want to read the review on them.

The only real issue I have with the Eagles is that they are 10 ohms. That saying your milage may vary compeltely applies to these as they can't be used on a high output sources. Needs some trial and error on your end for source matching, tip matching and cable matching. They can sound as good as you can make them but needs some TLC for them to sound their best. Read the review it goes into greater detail on what the Eagles need for optimun sound output.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #69,418 of 102,843

I haven’t try any of hifiboy/meaoes, so honestly I have no guesses. We have many rec on Eagle, it shall be a good set.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #69,420 of 102,843
Hi new here I was wondering if anyone could help me find an iem with supreme details and good soundstage recently got the timeless and the stellaris and was so impressed with the stellaris that I want a set with slightly better details but significantly better soundstage to end my short foray into the iem sphere.
I have Stellaris, Timeless. If you are looking further resolutions, you may want to knock the door for hybrids.

One point you may want to keep in mind for looking a “wide” stage and highly resolving IEMs are that, when you increase 2-4khz and 5khz-8khz, 10kh-16khz there will be a great sense of staging. But it could cross your line of being “shouty” and “harsh”, a bright-neutral, or bright V-shaped signature with high floors. Preferably equipped with Sonion EST drivers.

For bright sigunatures you may look up crinacle’a ranking list and sort by signature.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Although it doesn’t fall into Crin’s bright or U or V shaped signature, Unique Melody’s MEST MKII has ultra-wide staging with top-notch resolution that I guess many of audiophiles may feel resolving capabilities to be more than enough, thanks to their full range bone conduction driver that renders sense of staging.

I haven’t try but for a budget option, you may want to consider Raptgo Hook-x, of which I recall it is a planar hybrid that contains bone-conduction driver, so it may help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back