The discovery thread!
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #66,511 of 101,652
There is a lot of this going on right now. Manufacturers have caught on to these tunings as being 'well received' and everyone and their mother is releasing their reshelled/minor revisions of 'safe'/'sensible' (which isn't inherently a bad thing).

I'll be sitting this 11.11 out. I've had my fill of competitive budget sets and there's nothing ground breaking to entice me in mid-fi. For now my focus is on earbuds as I feel comparatively you usually get a more authentic timbre and certainly more spacious staging. That might change if/when new tech entices me back (not sure I'm a fan of planar IEMs). A DD supported by 'proper' BC or maybe affordable AMT?

I'm not sure we're in a golden age for IEMs yet, and having heard most driver configs I'm happy to watch and wait for while.
I wholeheartedly agree, and I'm also sitting this one out.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #66,512 of 101,652
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #66,513 of 101,652
In regards to being held to your thoughts and feelings on an initial review, I used to do reviews with review units etc, but I don't anymore. I just do quick observations and comparisons. The reason is that the goal posts move for pretty much any opinion of an IEM over time. Especially when you compare and contrast. So many people will bring up your old reviews and posts and try and use them against you if you oh so dare to change your opinion on a particular pair of gear. For instance, you might get a IEM has at first listen has decent bass to you. It might even appear to be great bass to your ears at the time of judgement. Then later, you get a similar pair or a pair from another company, and the bass turns out to not be so great in comparison to the newer or retuned pair. So where initially that pair had a 4 out of 5 bass rating, in hindsight, it might be a 3 out of 5. Sound is fluid, and the opinion could very well change based on advancements. Sound is not static. This is why so many older sets are ignored or fall out into oblivion, even though 5-10 years ago they were rated as top of the line or groundbreaking. Nowadays, even though they should still be considered as such, the community won't go back and buy them, because the newest thing "has to be better". This makes sound fluid and not static. So in defense of these reviewers who might change their minds about the sound of gear...it's because it's a fluid situation. The community makes it such. I stand by many of my old reviews, and I would change my view on a number of them as well. Case in point, the treble in the Wu is really tasteful and resolving. Then I listen with my UE500 or the Sennheiser IE800 and I realize, compared to a well tuned DD, it's not so resolving or timbre accurate. So my opinion is fluid.
100% in agreement

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #66,514 of 101,652
Xinhs (probaly not) "Olina" big sale from 250$ to 35$

With a very low quality graph

Link Here if anyone interested
edit: link fixed (thanks man :D)
Looks like random 50 dollar chi-fi w/ the Mele shell, no way was this originally 228, I'd eat my own shorts if this was real.

Seeing all these fake discounts on Ali (And other stores.) is obnoxious, just there to fool unsuspecting buyers who don't know any better or are too lazy to do a 5 second google search.

Here's one of the fakest discounts I've seen on any store:

https://hifigo.com/products/sennheiser-ie-600

You're not fooling anyone hifigo.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #66,515 of 101,652
Xinhs (probaly not) "Olina" big sale from 250$ to 35$
-979010465-1886492388.jpg
With a very low quality graph
-1089741377-872929696.png
Link Here if anyone interested
edit: link fixed (thanks man :D)
Chifi graphs be like:

1667334764922.png

sorry :laughing:

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #66,516 of 101,652
Looks like random 50 dollar chi-fi w/ the Mele shell, no way was this originally 228, I'd eat my own shorts if this was real.

Seeing all these fake discounts on Ali (And other stores.) is obnoxious, just there to fool unsuspecting buyers who don't know any better or are too lazy to do a 5 second google search.

Here's one of the fakest discounts I've seen on any store:

https://hifigo.com/products/sennheiser-ie-600

You're not fooling anyone hifigo.
That's the regular price for the IE600 on Amazon. LOL

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #66,518 of 101,652
Words of wisdom: Don't bother getting the Linsoul GC codes unless your order total is high.

They CHARGE you for shipping if you use the code and it drops the total below the free shipping threshold, which is 270 this year.

I tried to get a Tea 2 w/ the 50 dollar code and they tried to charge me 28 bucks for shipping.

What a waste of time trying to get one of the codes, they gave me FREE express shipping last year when I bought the Seeaudio Bravery for $218.

Just watch them decrease the free shipping threshold to 500 bucks next year.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #66,520 of 101,652
My discovery of the day:
TRI Clarion tips:
20221101_200914.jpg

Originally, I planned to order Clarions on AE current sales together with Moondrop Spring tips (a good tip from fellow HeadFi-ers), but opted for the Amazon.ca same-day delivery ($9 vs. $7 on AE for 3 pairs - very reasonable prices unlike many other tips).

Fit: amazing (!!!): both Gumiho (a very small shell) and Dioko (a huge shell) worked very well.

Sound: Gumiho definitely got at least a bit more refined/resolved bass and more sharpness.
For Dioko - just the fit from near unbearable to quite acceptable (game changing in terms of comfort; and I love Dioko as a special reference IEM, I may try to chime on it in another message/story); the sound change is more minimal/subtle from my previous Spiral dot-like tips.

Inner works: Clarion tips are wide bore, close to 5 mm, (that is my strong preference), the inner channel is rigid but thin (my previous preference was soft inner channels like JVC spiral dots). The top conical tip seems to help with acoustics (see the image below).
All my previous attempts on making different Spinfits work failed (too constraining/striangulating for the sound to my ears).
In contrast, Clarions affect sound more gently - largely focus/sharpness, and the great fit (!!) is there!
20221101_210642.jpg

Overall: very highly recommended (my first, I think, decisive recommendaton) for a very reasonable $3 per pair (or a bit lower of $2.2-$2.4 on sales). One won't blame a fellow enthusiastic HeadFi-er for $3 recommendation, right? :wink:

No any affiliation with TRI (rather opposite, given my experience with TRI I3...) but good things must be duly/properly acknowledged.

P. S. Added one more picture

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #66,521 of 101,652
Checking Aliexpress for 11.11 sales, these are the best deals I found under $200:

1- Ikko OH10
2- Tangzu Zeitan Wu
3- Shouer S12.
4- Tripowin Olina SE.

There's also the forgotten Kbear Aurora going for 90 bucks cheapest which might not seem much but is heavily discounted, especially if you use the promo below:

You can get a further 15 dollar discount right now on every IEM except the Olina if you take advantage of the 5 dollar promo going on Ali right now.

"Get 5 dollar discount for each 30 dollars spent, max discount is 15 bucks."

I'm not sure if this applies to every user, all the stores I saw mention a 3 for 30 discount deal promo, a bit confused.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #66,522 of 101,652
My discovery of the day:
TRI Clarion tips:
20221101_200914.jpg
Originally, I planned to order Clarions on AE current sales together with Moondrop Spring tips (a good tip from fellow HeadFi-ers), but opted for the Amazon.ca same-day delivery ($9 vs. $7 on AE for 3 pairs - very reasonable prices unlike many other tips).

Fit: amazing (!!!): both Gumiho (a very small shell) and Dioko (a huge shell) worked very well.

Sound: Gumiho definitely got at least a bit more refined/resolved bass and more sharpness.
For Dioko - just the fit from near unbearable to quite acceptable (game changing in terms of comfort; and I love Dioko as a special reference IEM, I may try to chime on it in another message/story); the sound change is more minimal/subtle from my previous Spiral dot-like tips.

Inner works: Clarion tips are wide bore, close to 5 mm, (that is my strong preference), the inner channel is rigid but thin (my previous preference was soft inner channels like JVC spiral dots). The top conical tip seems to help with acoustics (see the image below).
All my previous attempts on making different Spinfits work failed (too constraining/striangulating for the sound to my ears).
In contrast, Clarions affect sound more gently - largely focus/sharpness, and the great fit (!!) is there!
20221101_210642.jpg

Overall: very highly recommended (my first, I think, decisive recommendaton) for a very reasonable $3 per pair (or a bit lower of $2.2-$2.4 on sales). One won't blame a fellow enthusiastic HeadFi-er for $3 recommendation, right? :wink:

No any affiliation with TRI (rather opposite, given my experience with TRI I3...) but good things must be duly/properly acknowledged.

P. S. Added one more picture

Very nice review. I like the clarion a lot. They work great on some of my longer stemmed sets and they’re really comfortable.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #66,523 of 101,652
1667353504047.png
Simgot EMR2 review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-em2r-roltion.26084/review/29474/

Carbon nanotube dynamics are somewhat rare in the industry. The EMR2 is a hybrid using a Carbon nanotube dynamic+ Knowles BA for trebles. The energetic and technical tuning on the EMR2 is engaging enough, vocal forwardness some have it some dont. EMR2 has it. These would make for good media phones due to that vocal forwardness that is a part of its tuning make up. Much like all carbon nanotube based sets that I have heard in the past. The bass end is tight punchy and has good rumble.

I think this sound about 3 years ago would have made more waves in the industry but considering just how much competition there are at this price level, I bet it is daunting to try to come up with something really revolutionary. The EMR2 is for detail freaks and folks that like forward vocal presentation. The catch on them is that they are very tip/fit dependent on just how well you're going to hear them. The stiff ear guides and tangle prone cables does not help the cause of these IEMs.

I would have actually given it a bit of a higher score in the 5 star rating system if the cable was not so how can you say. Not good. These get the unfortunate mark as including the worst throw in cable for any IEMs I have reviewed this year. But the good news there is with 11.11 around the corner a good aftermarket copper cable with no ear guides would make the experience of these so much better. I have become a cable snob I admit it.

Something Simgot can improve on future releases. I hope.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #66,524 of 101,652
Checking Aliexpress for 11.11 sales, these are the best deals I found under $200:

1- Ikko OH10
2- Tangzu Zeitan Wu
3- Shouer S12.
4- Tripowin Olina SE.

There's also the forgotten Kbear Aurora going for 90 bucks cheapest which might not seem much but is heavily discounted, especially if you use the promo below:

You can get a further 15 dollar discount right now on every IEM except the Olina if you take advantage of the 5 dollar promo going on Ali right now.

"Get 5 dollar discount for each 30 dollars spent, max discount is 15 bucks."

I'm not sure if this applies to every user, all the stores I saw mention a 3 for 30 discount deal promo, a bit confused.
There were also good deals on:

IKKO OH2 (IKKO LOT Store)
TinHifi T2 DLC (TinHifi Global Store)

Searching for all products in a store, and then checking the sale checkbox above the listings is really useful. That gives you everything in the sale, not just the ones listed on the 11/11 sale page! :L3000:

(only bought a few cases and some eartips)

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #66,525 of 101,652
There were also good deals on:

IKKO OH2 (IKKO LOT Store)
TinHifi T2 DLC (TinHifi Global Store)

Searching for all products in a store, and then checking the sale checkbox above the listings is really useful. That gives you everything in the sale, not just the ones listed on the 11/11 sale page! :L3000:

(only bought a few cases and some eartips)
Tin P1 MAX on linsoul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back