The discovery thread!
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #66,541 of 104,549
Not sure if my impressions will mean anything, I only have a Jade Audio KA3 right now.

Super lazy with getting sources, I'll eventually get 2-3 more DAP/AMPs

I have KA3 as well. I was strictly dogmatic guy who repeats Crinacle “Apple dongle is all you need”. But VE megatron and Hidizs S9 Pro changed me, so I would recommend grabbing a better dongle if you have a good deal. S9 Pro or that Questyle M15 that everyone has been gushing about would be great. I expect great things fro Shanling UA5 as well, but haven’t tried. I simply don’t want to listen to KA3 after getting used to S9 Pro.

Btw, you might want to wait for Hidizs XO (some time later this month) and see some reviews first. I’m listening to a preproduction unit at the moment. I had very little expectations for this dongle because it is weaker (on paper) than S9 Pro and seems to bet on new DAC chips , RGB light (eh??) and MQA (meh). But I’m kind of shocked that this little thing matches, if not out performs the battery killer S9 Pro, without getting even warm.

Edit: btw, KA3 is not bad at all. Clean, clear, detailed, and powerful. It’s just the way it presents the sound is slightly too bright for me, and I like the deeper soundstage of S9. Very small difference in the grand scheme of thing.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #66,542 of 104,549
I have KA3 as well. I was strictly dogmatic guy who repeats Crinacle “Apple dongle is all you need”. But VE megatron and Hidizs S9 Pro changed me, so I would recommend grabbing a better dongle if you have a good deal. S9 Pro or that Questyle M15 that everyone has been gushing about would be great. I expect great things fro Shanling UA5 as well, but haven’t tried. I simply don’t want to listen to KA3 after getting used to S9 Pro.

Btw, you might want to wait for Hidizs XO (some time later this month) and see some reviews first. I’m listening to a preproduction unit at the moment. I had very little expectations for this dongle because it is weaker (on paper) than S9 Pro and seems to bet on new DAC chips , RGB light (eh??) and MQA (meh). But I’m kind of shocked that this little thing matches, if not out performs the battery killer S9 Pro, without getting even warm.
I was thinking about getting a Questyle M15 actually.

Was worried it being placebo.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #66,543 of 104,549

I’ll get a lot of flak for this if this were r/headphones or ASR, but if the “placebo” works for you, then so what if it is “placebo” :beyersmile:

I am extremely skeptical about these source thing, and it is still true to me that most of them do not differ that much. But based on my experience with a number of dongles and portable sources, I can tell you that they do not sound the same. Some are just punchier than others, some can even distort the soundstage of your IEMs (shanling UP4 with E5000).

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #66,544 of 104,549

What is your main source?

The Questyle M15 is a neutral source, so it doesn't colour the music much. Something that lets the transducer do the colouring.

The M15 has very good technicalities, organic timbre and it has low output impedance (suitable for low impedance IEMs). It has a high/low gain switch with 4.4 mm and 3.5 mm output, and it could power the Senn HD650 adequately (though on high gain). So essentially it can power fussy sensitive IEMs all the way to full sized cans. Also, it doesn't get hot and has quite low battery drain.

Some nitpicks - it doesn't have an independent volume controller, and some folks report EMI with smartphones (I've tried 3 smartphones and don't face this issue). Perhaps it also isn't the most powerful dongle, but the power on tap is clean.

I do think it can hit about the same sonic fidelity as some midFI DAPs.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #66,545 of 104,549
I’ll get a lot of flak for this if this were r/headphones or ASR, but if the “placebo” works for you, then so what if it is “placebo” :beyersmile:

I am extremely skeptical about these source thing, and it is still true to me that most of them do not differ that much. But based on my experience with a number of dongles and portable sources, I can tell you that they do not sound the same. Some are just punchier than others, some can even distort the soundstage of your IEMs (shanling UP4 with E5000).
Is there a Fiio KA3 form factor single that (a) pairs with iOS devices/has USB C female, (b) has both 3.5 and 4.4 jacks, (c) decodes MQA? Right now I use a Q3, and obviously a bit more work to set up, keep charged, etc.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #66,546 of 104,549
Is there a Fiio KA3 form factor single that (a) pairs with iOS devices/has USB C female, (b) has both 3.5 and 4.4 jacks, (c) decodes MQA? Right now I use a Q3, and obviously a bit more work to set up, keep charged, etc.
Maybe Fiio BTR7 and use it wired. A little bigger form factor maybe but BT gives you options. :L3000:

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #66,547 of 104,549
What is your main source?

The Questyle M15 is a neutral source, so it doesn't colour the music much. Something that lets the transducer do the colouring.

The M15 has very good technicalities, organic timbre and it has low output impedance (suitable for low impedance IEMs). It has a high/low gain switch with 4.4 mm and 3.5 mm output, and it could power the Senn HD650 adequately (though on high gain). So essentially it can power fussy sensitive IEMs all the way to full sized cans. Also, it doesn't get hot and has quite low battery drain.

Some nitpicks - it doesn't have an independent volume controller, and some folks report EMI with smartphones (I've tried 3 smartphones and don't face this issue). Perhaps it also isn't the most powerful dongle, but the power on tap is clean.

KA3

Sounds good enough to me but I could definitely do better.

DAPs are another can of worms I'll have to deal with, will probably get one next year.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #66,548 of 104,549

KA3 with Fiio lightning cable is an option. I used that for quite a while. The only issue is that iPhone limits the current of KA3, so it sounds slightly worse than Android (or just quieter :beyersmile: )

Other than that, of course you can grab M15 and an iOS cable (extra cost). I don’t think M15 does MQA though.

The Hidizs XO that I mentioned has MQA 16x, but no included iOS cable and no 4.4. I use an adapter from ddHifi, which means even more money.

Seriously, I think KA3 is the best option for you at the moment.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #66,549 of 104,549
1667227481587.png
MEAOES stands for multiple audio experiences.
The Eagle model shown here specs as follows

2BA+7.5mm dynamic +8mm Dynamic.
Sensitivity 103dbs
Frequency 20hz-40Khz
Impedance 10 Ohm
Cable. Crystal copper modular cable with 3.5mm,2.5mm and 4.4mm plugs

RP-$149.. These might be one of the best sounding hybrids at this price. There is something different the Titanium dome does for mids. Its got an unexpected sophisticaion that you would never expect at this price. The Ceramic dome that does the bass is got some special sauce as well. When you use the two BAs for trebles + titanium dome for mids and the certamic dome for bass--This is how you get a different hybrid that stands out.

Will be for sale as of tomorrow on Penon audio web site.
These look beautiful and knowing what Hifiboy delivered with the OSV3 back in the days, I expect these to sound fantastic for the price.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #66,550 of 104,549

You just have to say the right words, aren’t you?

No, I have to be strong to save up for a DAP. No more dongle :beyersmile:

DAPs are another can of worms I'll have to deal with, will probably get one next year.

If I have the dough, I’ll just grab M11plus. I tried with Andromeda, E5000, borrowed HD800S. Everything sounds deeper, punchier, and more detailed with that DAP.

Of course, we are talking in relative sense. In absolute sense, all of these toys, from Apple dongle up, sound “hi-fi”.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #66,551 of 104,549
KA3 with Fiio lightning cable is an option. I used that for quite a while. The only issue is that iPhone limits the current of KA3, so it sounds slightly worse than Android (or just quieter :beyersmile: )

Other than that, of course you can grab M15 and an iOS cable (extra cost). I don’t think M15 does MQA though.

The Hidizs XO that I mentioned has MQA 16x, but no included iOS cable and no 4.4. I use an adapter from ddHifi, which means even more money.

Seriously, I think KA3 is the best option for you at the moment.

Actually the M15 is advertised to be MQA compatible.

But I've not put that to the test (apologies, I don't use MQA as it smells like a bit of a scam, but that's another story for another time). Maybe someone who has the M15 can verify the MQA part?

The Fiio KA3 seems very interesting and recommended, will see if there's a set to be auditioned somewhere!

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #66,552 of 104,549

Maybe get an portable amp so you can change it's opamp and enjoy diffrent sound! Plus a Bluetooth options
I have a portable "47 amp" with dual opamp 275, a warm detail monster
Edit: actually it smooth out 12-16khz so it have est like treble
Edit v2: my portable setup would be Ve odyssey --> 47 amp --> EQ CRA

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #66,553 of 104,549
SeekReal Dawn - Planar IEM

1667386689823.png

Frequency response graph:

graph - 2022-11-02T092410.956.png

More info: Linsoul

Planars just keep popping off left and right...

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #66,554 of 104,549
SeekReal Dawn - Planar IEM

1667386689823.png

Frequency response graph:

graph - 2022-11-02T092410.956.png

More info: Linsoul

Planars just keep popping off left and right...
The graph look like your ears is going to ring left and right :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back