The discovery thread!
May 20, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #62,972 of 99,863
The main title theme of The Force Awakens. 1st song. But Dune is the OST for the TRN TA1 Max! The subs are like a theater, even tighter. Using Hansound Zen 4.4mm, Sony Walkman 1A, MrWalkman firmware.
After over a year jumping from budget iem to another budget iem, DQ6, CST, Tanya, ZEXPro, Aria.
I decided to dust off my only $100+ iem, the ol TFZ King Pro.
It kinda crumble after over a year of beater duty, the iem cap pops out, the 2pin cracked.
Well, i think the regluing have dried.

1653032718666.png

I listen to this Dune ost and i reminded why i bought this iem, does it have great vocals? no, its the sheer epicness with orchestra OST.
That deep yet clean rumble, clear seperation of each string of guitar, and detailed with sense of space yet not piercing treble. nice.
It might lack the holographic vocals, but the rest is pretty damn epic.
this is the iem that makes me feels ATH-m40x feels lacking in details and goes on try out journey with Headphone before settling down on HE400i (2020)

i was kinda worried that in 2 year+ of chifi advancement, this iem will be obselete or incapable to fight with new iem in half or even third of its price, but it still stands pretty tall.

Any old favorite that you haven't been listening to for awhile?

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #62,973 of 99,863
I’m actually going to compare the two a lot in my review. And....if they were placed on a table and I had to only choose one, it would be the Bax. But the Max goes and does it’s own thing. The fit is incredible, the Bax fits me fine but there is still something about small that has a factor. All and all the Bax soundstage is bigger, basically everything is bigger with the Bax. The Bax is maybe my favorite release of the year, but it’s very bombastic and can be slightly intense. With the TRN TA1 Max we have almost zero of that too much intensity. It’s faster than the Bax, and it has more coherence. There is only two drivers but almost nothing is left out. Once in a while I wish for more treble complexity but it’s rare. It’s not dull by any means.

Haha, the flamboyance of the Bax and the vividness does make stuff sound live! It is seriously doing a lot for the level of cash it’s priced at!
Just took a listen to the Dune album. Definitely not a fan of this kinda spooky music but definitely sound very cinematic like in a theater with the BAX.

May 20, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #62,974 of 99,863
Just took a listen to the Dune album. Definitely not a fan of this kinda spooky music but definitely sound very cinematic like in a theater with the BAX.
I only like that bass tracks. Hans Zimmer and his many movie soundtracks I'm really a fan of, like Batman vs Superman, or The Dark Knight Rises.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #62,975 of 99,863
After over a year jumping from budget iem to another budget iem, DQ6, CST, Tanya, ZEXPro, Aria.
I decided to dust off my only $100+ iem, the ol TFZ King Pro.
It kinda crumble after over a year of beater duty, the iem cap pops out, the 2pin cracked.
Well, i think the regluing have dried.

I listen to this Dune ost and i reminded why i bought this iem, does it have great vocals? no, its the sheer epicness with orchestra OST.
That deep yet clean rumble, clear seperation of each string of guitar, and detailed yet not piercing treble. nice.
It might lack the holographic vocals, but the rest is pretty damn epic.
this is the iem that makes me feels ATH-m40x feels lacking in details and goes on try out journey with Headphone before settling down on HE400i (2020)

i was kinda worried that in 2 year+ of chifi advancement this iem will be obselete or incapable to fight with new iem in half or even third of its price, but it still stands pretty tall.

Any old favorite that you haven't been listening to for awhile?
I got my CCA CA16 out the other day, it's still good. One of the better offerings out of the KZ stable. Smoother version of the ZAX but a shame the shell looks so cheap.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #62,977 of 99,863
A question related to midrange tribrids. Is Yanyin Moonlight a better buy than Thieaudio Clairvoyance or Xenns Up? New is always fun, but is it better?
Nobody knows since the Moonlight hasn’t shipped. But the Clair and the Up are much different signatures.

May 20, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #62,978 of 99,863
Is anyone else having a communication problem with Penon Audio? I ordered a pair of Yanyin Aladdins on Monday and have not received anything in the way of an order update or shipping notification. I emailed them today and received no response yet. In my 10 years experience with them they usually ship the next day. like clockwork.
Concerned.
This is the email I got from Penon Audio regarding my concern:

“Hi dear friend,

I am sorry for the delay update , we have shipped out the parcel with tracking number 1Z3********** via UPS.

Any questions,pls feel free to contact us .

Best regards”

I don’t know if Penon changed their express shipping to UPS but my package is scheduled to arrive Monday to Rochester, NY- that’s still 7 days from the order date. I feel like an idiot for even questioning them. Simply the best.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #62,979 of 99,863
Nobody knows since the Moonlight hasn’t shipped. But the Clair and the Up are much different signatures.
That I know, but signature is a different thing fron technical abilities and genre flexibility.
I have a few IEMs with different signatures, but the level of detail and the "fun factor" or musicality is the key. This time around I want sonehing else than a super detailed mids and treble beast.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #62,980 of 99,863
May 20, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #62,981 of 99,863
This is the email I got from Penon Audio regarding my concern:

“Hi dear friend,

I am sorry for the delay update , we have shipped out the parcel with tracking number 1Z30AV560496868498 via UPS.

Any questions,pls feel free to contact us .

Best regards”

I don’t know if Penon changed their express shipping to UPS but my package is scheduled to arrive Monday to Rochester, NY- that’s still 7 days from the order date. I feel like an idiot for even questioning them. Simply the best.
I would suggest that you delete your tracking number for your security.

May 20, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #62,983 of 99,863
Battle-TRN Bax, TINHFI T1S, CCA CRA+ and TRN TA1 Max.
the battle.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #62,984 of 99,863
May 20, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #62,985 of 99,863
Which one do you like best? The one you would reach for 9/10X's?
1) TRN Bax
2) TINHFI T1S
3) CCA CRA+
4) TRN TA1 Max

No order to list, it's here for reference.

The Bax is my favorite, but also the wildest and most vivid. It's also biggest. The 2nd place goes to the TRN TA1 Max, as it's more correct in ways than the Bax, but it's complicated and will be in my review soon.

The CCA CRA+ and TINHIFI T1S are in a way the same and the TRN Bax and TA1 Max are the same. Due to two full-range Beryllium DDs, and two Hybrids. The TINHIFI T1S is the darkest and has a treble roll-off that the CCA CRA+ doesn't have. But the T1S has a wonderful low end.

I reach for the TRN TA1 Max the most due to writing a review on it.

Edit:

Review in:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1-max-universal-in-ear-monitor.25854/reviews#review-28523

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back