The discovery thread!
May 21, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #62,986 of 100,767
After over a year jumping from budget iem to another budget iem, DQ6, CST, Tanya, ZEXPro, Aria.
I decided to dust off my only $100+ iem, the ol TFZ King Pro.
It kinda crumble after over a year of beater duty, the iem cap pops out, the 2pin cracked.
Well, i think the regluing have dried.

1653032718666.png

I listen to this Dune ost and i reminded why i bought this iem, does it have great vocals? no, its the sheer epicness with orchestra OST.
That deep yet clean rumble, clear seperation of each string of guitar, and detailed with sense of space yet not piercing treble. nice.
It might lack the holographic vocals, but the rest is pretty damn epic.
this is the iem that makes me feels ATH-m40x feels lacking in details and goes on try out journey with Headphone before settling down on HE400i (2020)

i was kinda worried that in 2 year+ of chifi advancement, this iem will be obselete or incapable to fight with new iem in half or even third of its price, but it still stands pretty tall.

Any old favorite that you haven't been listening to for awhile?
My old time favourites: KZ AS10 and 1More Triple - my first all-BA and BA experience.
AS10 still lures me with its warm grainy signature. Brought me to ChiFi and a ot of KZs are my favourites.

1 More Triple serves as my everyday beaters, undestructible.
I really like their soft tunung, while BAs are still resolving.
Opposite to my recent experience with HZ Mirror, which is trying/pretending to resolve but really fails to do so on complex symphonic tracks.
HZ Mirror is still an interesting experience (like it lean bass) but to me it highlights the intrinsic limitations of a single DD. After all, how can the entire orchestra be reproduced using just a single membrane/drum? (A rhetorical question)

May 21, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #62,987 of 100,767
I got my endgame Aure Audio Elixir, the best of the best that I can afford lol. Better than Thie Audio Monarch OG/Mkii - yes I have both before

May 22, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #62,989 of 100,767
My FIIO FD3 PRO review is up here on headfi and HERE on my audio reviews website.

PRO version is very same sound wise as FD3, but include a modular cable and cost 40$ more.

THE PLUS:
-Fun energic gently bright V shape
-headbanging thumpy bass
-dense timbre
-good notes weight
-cohesive tonality
-wide and tall soundstage
-nice male vocal
-modular cable included

THE MINUS:
-average tecnicalities
-average resolution and transparency
-bordeline shouty in rare occasion
-rolled off bass and treble
-lack of air and sparkle on top
-very tight mmcx connector
-very tight modular cable connector

May 22, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #62,990 of 100,767
1653248138986.png
Spent part of my weekend finishing up my views of the newer Rose QT9-MK2S. S version show on the right or the green model. As you guys can see it is using the exact same housing as the prior MK2 version shown on the left or the blue model. Overall they are not much different with only differences really coming from the new LCD dynamic bass on the S version but as you all know all it takes is a bit of a change up in bass which warrants a revision. This is not a clear case of one being an upgrade over the other however. The dual BAs being used on the new S version is the same as the prior MK2 version. So most of the mids and treble presentation is intact. Bass however got a make over. The new S version sacrifices some impact and visceral nature of the prior MK2 for a tighter speedier bass presentation. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rose-technics-qt-9-mk2s.25851/review/28535/

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #62,991 of 100,767
Way too long since I've dropped by this thread, a lot to catch up with...

I've posted in a couple of other threads so a mention here now also - very much enjoying a review unit of the DUNU VULKAN. Impressive IEM, and I'm very curious to hear what DUNU actually land on in terms of the final selling price.

20220517_202414 copy.jpg

May 22, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #62,992 of 100,767
I just tried the Blanche with my Serials! Wow! Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

I've been a bit of a cable sceptic, but pairing Serial with Han Sound Nyx absolutely changed that - I couldn't believe the difference it made. Ugh, I still regret selling Serial!

May 22, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #62,993 of 100,767
Lots of promising releases lately. On my personal shortlist:
  • Yanyin Moonlight (incoming)
  • Dunu Vulcan
  • Raptgo Hook X
  • Thieaudio Elixir

I'm curious now about Moonlight. Was it you that posted the graph and it was very similar to VULKAN? Hook X another on my list... and I've yet to try any Thieaudio!

May 22, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #62,994 of 100,767
I'm curious now about Moonlight. Was it you that posted the graph and it was very similar to VULKAN? Hook X another on my list... and I've yet to try any Thieaudio!
The graph I posted was actually the Aladdin and the Vulkan. The Moonlight's FR looks to be more similar to the Canon which I haven't yet heard.

May 22, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #62,995 of 100,767
May 22, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #62,996 of 100,767
May 22, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #62,997 of 100,767
7Hz is releasing a new 14.2mm planar soon.

Called the DIOKO

Just my opinion (YMMV), but I found the Timeless overrated, it had a very narrow 2D soundstage and bad timbre, with treble peaks. Hope this one is better in the planar wars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/uvd442/photo_leaks_of_the_newest_7hz_planar_iem_dioko/
There's a whole discussion forming around them now over here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/7hz-impressions-discussion.932274/page-193#post-16972861
They're also coming out with a new single 10mm DD Pictures here show .78mm but it will be MMCX
As for the timeless - It took 150 hours of use to bring them to their fullness and the stock cable was real choke point on the them. $35 to XinHS for pure copper, pure silver hybrid brought them fully alive. Just my opinion but for $220 including the cable swap and they are still among my favorites. Every planar I've owned, and there have been many, needed time / use / burn-in to blossom.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #62,999 of 100,767
The Timeless stage is plenty good and wide. Nothing 2D about them at all, though I have to lean towards agreement on the timbre. It's not the best. but it's not bad. Just not quite dynamic driver timbre.

May 23, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #63,000 of 100,767
The Timeless stage is plenty good and wide. Nothing 2D about them at all, though I have to lean towards agreement on the timbre. It's not the best. but it's not bad. Just not quite dynamic driver timbre.

Timeless has quite bad depth to the soundstage. Soundstage width is very good, but it is literally one plane in terms of good width only.

Anyways, this year is very competitive with regards to Planar releases, so I guess there are many options lying about for Planar lovers, with the Raptgo, S12, Tin P1 Max, Timeless and now this new 7Hz planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back