The discovery thread!
May 13, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #62,851 of 99,967
"Just desperate to find an open back in ear monitor for our upcoming gig that is below $200. We don't want to feel isolated when using in ear monitors."

Maybe you should read the post again? Open back? They're not looking for isolation? So you'd recommend what comes to mind first right? Instead of mocking people, please just deal with the contribution to the forum. I believe that will make this thread not full of useless comments...
LOL open back doesn't mean those reccs. Got it? Good.

May 13, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #62,852 of 99,967
Just my 2 cents, I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for close to 20 years. In general, for stage monitoring, isolation is the no. 1 priority to preserve hearing health. I know it is tempting to want to hear ambient noise from the audience, but this is not good for long term hearing, and noise induced hearing loss is irreversible. I know what you play and hear in the IEM may not be what the audience hears, but sometimes you just have to trust your sound man to handle the house mix while the musicians concentrate on the music.

A concert can easily go to around 100 dB sound, and open backed IEMs are a sure way to get the hearing damaged. Not only that, in a noisy environment, bass is the first frequency to be lost, so something that isolate allows one to hear sub-bass well, and also to get all the micro-details in, something that may not be possible with an open backed IEM.
AMEN! Well said. You don't need an open back monitor to get the elements he's looking for, but hey, to each his own?

May 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #62,853 of 99,967
LOL open back doesn't mean those reccs. Got it? Good.
SmartSelect_20220513-225108_Opera.jpg

Even the person who asked the question telling you that your suggestion doesn't fit. You saw that comment, understood who's right or wrong... And still you're pushing this further by asking and answering yourself? Funny.

I'll add you to my ignored list. Goodbye.

May 13, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #62,854 of 99,967
SmartSelect_20220513-225108_Opera.jpg

Even the person who asked the question telling you that your suggestion doesn't fit. You saw that comment, understood who's right or wrong... And still you're pushing this further by asking and answering yourself? Funny.

I'll add you to my ignored list. Goodbye.
LMAO Oh no! I was added to an ignore list by someone I don't know?! *pushes play on my Whitesnake album* 'cause I'm crying in the rain!!!

May 13, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #62,855 of 99,967
The Senns are ideal for stage monitoring, as that is one of their main usages, and they aren't kings of isolation, so though they are not open back as in vented like an open back headphone, they are not air tight and noise canceling iso, so very much a great stage IEM.

May 13, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #62,856 of 99,967
See. This is why we have a Help and Recommendations area. :scream:

May 13, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #62,857 of 99,967
LMAO Oh no! I was added to an ignore list by someone I don't know?! *pushes play on my Whitesnake album* 'cause I'm crying in the rain!!!

As soon as I saw that newbie's post - he got added to my ignore list... :wink: :relaxed:

May 13, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #62,858 of 99,967
As soon as I saw that newbie's post - he got added to my ignore list... :wink: :relaxed:
IKR! I wasn't really busting anyone's chops. Just speaking from experience. I've been in multiple bands over many years, and i'm not going to jump in stage with those Frankenstein bolts, no matter how great they sound. I've owned those JVC's and the Sony's. LOL For studio monitoring? ABSOLUTELY, @DBaldock9! For running around on stage? Not quite.

May 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #62,859 of 99,967

Attachments

• 1652485249070.png
    1652485249070.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #62,860 of 99,967
KZ EDA - Balanced.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004269688816.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $33.04!US $19.82!!!!!@2132a25716524845667232460e5838!!sh&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_2911412.pic_0

Described as a more technical VK4 (well, most iems are more technical than VK4 but...) better than CRA (if you want upgraded CRA without traveling to CRA+ with its extra midbass and bleed)

Nice to see they are offering it separately (but for 2/3 the price of the set of three). Single Dynamics and planars seem to be making huge progress at the moment.

I'm starting to look at IEMs at this price point as something that nibbles away at my budget for better IEMs.

AKros review of the KBEAR Ink is out! :L3000:

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #62,861 of 99,967
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think it is still bad if lets say, I will only put minimal volume to my open back in ear just enough for extra isolation of my guitar and bass for example? My plan is to still use the stage ambient volume as my main source of audio, then just add few decibels for extra monitoring of the band?

Personally, I would suggest to just use a standard closed back IEM for stage monitoring, as even the most isolating IEMs will still let in some ambient noise from the house mix into the ears. So you will still get a bit of the house sound heard in a way.

But as for how much house mix goes in, it depends on the location of the house speakers/amps, and your band members' amps location or your location next to noisy instruments eg drums. I would suggest perhaps if you still wanna use an open back IEM for stage use, don't sit near a subwoofer/amp or a full sized drum, as you will inevitably try to pump up the volume to overcome those external noises, and this is bad for hearing.

May 13, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #62,862 of 99,967
I would concur with baskingshark's recommendations. I had training as a recording engineer, and the thought of open-back monitors or headphones would be unheard of (pun intended). Particularly in a studio environment where sound spill could be picked up on a mic (esp. with Vox), or feedback problems could ensue. As said, your hearing is paramount. If you are not able to hear fellow musicians properly, then the engineer/mixer is not doing his job. If you are talking about a low-budget venue or predominantly acoustic performance, then high SPLs may not be an issue, but you should still be able to get a monitor mix that is accurate for each musician without resorting to open-back IEMs. I know you are only here to get help, and others should just be kind and offer advice instead of ridicule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back