The discovery thread!
May 13, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #62,836 of 101,079
Thank you for the responses. Keep them coming please... Really need you guys help... thank you!
Yeah guys and gals! Help this guy out! He's going on stage with a band! What are these recommendations? You're not going on stage with the FX 700?! LOL Or the giant ass Sony's either! I'm sure stage monitors would be a more appropriate recc? That's like me recommending the TF10's! lol

May 13, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #62,837 of 101,079
Thank you for the responses. Keep them coming please... Really need you guys help... thank you!
My only recc for that price range and with proper stage monitor form would be the Sennheiser IE100 Pro.

Wide soundstage, excellent separation, and crystal clear balance. You'll probably enjoy the sound and the fit?

May 13, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #62,838 of 101,079
Yeah guys and gals! Help this guy out! He's going on stage with a band! What are these recommendations? You're not going on stage with the FX 700?! LOL Or the giant ass Sony's either! I'm sure stage monitors would be a more appropriate recc? That's like me recommending the TF10's! lol
"Just desperate to find an open back in ear monitor for our upcoming gig that is below $200. We don't want to feel isolated when using in ear monitors."

Maybe you should read the post again? Open back? They're not looking for isolation? So you'd recommend what comes to mind first right? Instead of mocking people, please just deal with the contribution to the forum. I believe that will make this thread not full of useless comments...

May 13, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #62,840 of 101,079
Well I'm one of the older guys on Head-Fi, grew up with vinyl. Never did have the money for the exotic brands but I remember I really got into the early Dual 505 turntable, Goldring cartridges, and a bit later Musical Fidelity amps in the 80's. I got big time OCD over little T-Amps back in their day. I'm definitely an old analogue-man, lover of World Music and almost everything else musically. In July of 2019 I bought the Little Bear 4-X hybrid tube amp and have used it on and off ever since. Lately I found the Little Bear a good match with the Shuoer S12 Planar IEM and got back into using it.
A few weeks ago I got a message from Burson Audio asking me if I would like to compare the Burson V5i-D-2 opamp with the stock opamps. I've never been a compulsive Modder, but when necessary I'm up for it. The Little Bear looked simple enough so I found the idea interesting. I had no idea of any difference a new opamp would make to the sound, I'd never changed one before on the Little Bear. So armed with some small Allen Keys, some tweezers and a shaky hand, I got going. It turned out so simple to take the board out, take out the stock opamps and put the more substantial Burson's on.
The opamps had arrived a while ago, so I started to deliberately use the Little Bear 4-X most of the time to get back familiarity with the sound. That meant constant charging because the built in battery does not have the longest play time (about 5 hours). I chose a few songs to really mainly concentrate on... 'Stimela', live, Hugh Masekela and 'Shovelheads', Shriekback (Yep a bit left-of, but has a lot going on), and the great 'Grandpa's Interview', Neil Young. From Patti Smith, 'We Three', and also some New Model Army tracks.
When comparing and A/B-ing IEMs there is a simplicity to hear the differences. Generally just take one off and put the other on. It takes just a few seconds. Even then there has to be the memory of the previous moments. The moments are close enough to get a fair idea of the differences. When changing opamps there is more time involved in the change so the gap in listening is longer, so possibly more deceptive. It's useful to write keywords down to keep impressions fresh. So what I write here can be taken with a pinch of subjective salt.
Before listening I left the 4-X to warm up for 15mins. First thing I noticed with the Burson, seemingly more RF interference. More sensitive obviously, but that can be good in the long run. Not a problem for me, but maybe for some. For me once the music starts this old guy cannot hear the RF so no problem.
Compared to stock the Burson's are less generally fuzzy, and have a much cleaner sound. Leading edges of guitars and drums are more defined and precise, sub-bass is cleaner without losing rumble. A subjective feeling of musicality arises whilst listening with the Burson V5i-D-2's.
Patti Smith's wonderful voice becomes richer, thicker and smoother, yet cleaner in 'We Three'. Same with Hugh Masekela's voice in 'Stimela' and the instruments too. On 'Grandpa's Interview' from the 'Greendale' project, Neil Young has more resonance on the lower register guitar strings, and a kind of mini vibrato all the way through plus great cymbal crashes later in the track.
There is little doubt the Burson opamps are noticeably different in sound to the OG's. It surprised me that a little opamp can make such a difference. The Burson's are here to stay in my Little Bear and easily give me a large dose of extra enjoyment. I'm not totally clear much they cost because price seems to vary, but from Burson direct I think they are about $59 but they double the enjoyment factors.
IEM used, IMR Splash of Gold open back, Spiral Dot L tips. Sony Xperia 5ii phone.

Attachments​

• DSC_0538.JPG
    DSC_0538.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0542.JPG
    DSC_0542.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #62,842 of 101,079
Thanks for helping but this is not open back I think.

Another amazing sounding open back IEM is the IMR Acoustics, Splash of Gold. With any discount codes they are maybe the best value IEM of them all.

May 13, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #62,843 of 101,079
Hello everyone. Just desperate to find an open back in ear monitor for our upcoming gig that is below $200. We don't want to feel isolated when using in ear monitors. We just need it for extra support so we can hear ourselves better. But still be able to hear ambient noise. Can you please help us? Thank you very much!

Just my 2 cents, I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for close to 20 years. In general, for stage monitoring, isolation is the no. 1 priority to preserve hearing health. I know it is tempting to want to hear ambient noise from the audience, but this is not good for long term hearing, and noise induced hearing loss is irreversible. I know what you play and hear in the IEM may not be what the audience hears, but sometimes you just have to trust your sound man to handle the house mix while the musicians concentrate on the music.

A concert can easily go to around 100 dB sound, and open backed IEMs are a sure way to get the hearing damaged. Not only that, in a noisy environment, bass is the first frequency to be lost, so something that isolate allows one to hear sub-bass well, and also to get all the micro-details in, something that may not be possible with an open backed IEM.

May 13, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #62,844 of 101,079
Dr. Blue. I am in now way influencing your decision. The universe has aligned not to mention everything these folks make seems to be hits. They definitely know how to tune earphones well. Their first tribrid cannot be ignored. Your curious about them just as I am.

Moonlight gonna be special, I have a feeling in my bones! Cant wait to get into em.
Right on DS! Penon has been very cooperative! Great vendor! No way or now way??? Excited to AB with my loved Kinda Lava! Stay a bad influence!

May 13, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #62,845 of 101,079
I know that IEM has some secret power of attraction? Maybe it’s because we simply lust after IEMs, and that one has “a look”? At times though instinct can be very powerful. I know just a feeling...........I have purchased my best IEMs using the “Force”.

...............“become one with the Force" Match you personal wills with the will of the Force!
May the Force be with us! And not the Farce!

May 13, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #62,846 of 101,079
The quintessential KZ weekly pokemon sidegrade release is here!

The KZ EDX Ultra. $22 USD

"Pro", "S" and "Max" monikers are yesterday's terms. "ULTRA" is the new codeword for a new pokemon sidegrade release of the new week!

Capture.JPG

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kz-edx-ultra

Oh ya and for those fearful of fake/misrepresented KZ drivers that do not contribute much to the sound, fear not. This ULTRA dude is advertised to use a "10mm Dual Magnetic Dynamic Unit". Don't think one can go much wrong there if there's only one driver, short of it having some hyperbole claims of uranium or unicorn fur coated diaphragm; FWIW no mention is made of the driver material here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #62,848 of 101,079
Just my 2 cents, I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for close to 20 years. In general, for stage monitoring, isolation is the no. 1 priority to preserve hearing health. I know it is tempting to want to hear ambient noise from the audience, but this is not good for long term hearing, and noise induced hearing loss is irreversible. I know what you play and hear in the IEM may not be what the audience hears, but sometimes you just have to trust your sound man to handle the house mix while the musicians concentrate on the music.

A concert can easily go to around 100 dB sound, and open backed IEMs are a sure way to get the hearing damaged. Not only that, in a noisy environment, bass is the first frequency to be lost, so something that isolate allows one to hear sub-bass well, and also to get all the micro-details in, something that may not be possible with an open backed IEM.
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think it is still bad if lets say, I will only put minimal volume to my open back in ear just enough for extra isolation of my guitar and bass for example? My plan is to still use the stage ambient volume as my main source of audio, then just add few decibels for extra monitoring of the band?

May 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #62,849 of 101,079
Hello. These are open backs? It doesn't say on their website so I wanted to make sure. You have one? thank you!
I have one. You can see the IMR thread to see peoples opinions of them. They have a gold surrounded grill over their back. The closed version is the Splash of Red (red surround fitment). There was a good discount as IMR were having a sale (code) on everything.....I'm not sure if it still works.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #62,850 of 101,079
I have one. You can see the IMR thread to see peoples opinions of them. They have a gold surrounded grill over their back. The closed version is the Splash of Red (red surround fitment). There was a good discount as IMR were having a sale (code) on everything.....I'm not sure if it still works.
Do you mind sharing me your thoughts and experience on using open back IEM on stage? How do you use it? Volume level? Do you have wedge monitors still on stage? I hope to learn from you since you have been using an open back already. Thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back