The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #59,956 of 99,688
A good excuse for me to hold off on any more TWS purchases until these hit the market…!

Same. Was thinking about getting the UTWS5 when it releases but now I will wait...

I also ordered the Hifiman Sundara, so I have some well regarded planars to compare with. Time will tell if its good or not. :smirk:

Definitely curious to see what you think about those. From your db it looks like they will be your first foray into mid-range open-back headphones?

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #59,957 of 99,688
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #59,958 of 99,688
The revised Triaudio TRI planar-megnetic, now as Pro version. Is a bit smaller than the original and it sounds faster and brighter. Overall, quite an improvement imo. I really enjoy it. The original had some channel balance issue, my new one has an impeccable channel balance.

UPDATE: not sure whether the Pro is actually an improvement over the original. Voices are sharper and leaner, and staging has become flatter. The mids of the original are richer.

mOUErTe.jpg

TRI-I3-Pro-800x445.jpg
TnMjTNQ.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #59,959 of 99,688
Hello guys, I have read through some of this thread along with several others, I recently bought a pair of starfield and pretty much fell in love, it sounds awesome but I noticed it doesn't like mainstream rap or electronic music as well (like a$ap rocky, dj blockhead, RTJ) as it does jazz, underground hip hop and prog rock (like pink Floyd, Sergio Méndez, or madlib)

So I was hoping you guys could give me a hand in narrowing down choices
I used to be a bass head but spent 14 years with only a pair of altec Lansing inmotion im616 (like ety's but with less bass....) so I have gotten very used to bright more analytical sound.

I don't really like midbass as much as good rumble sub bass.
So far, locally I can pick up a pair of tfz no.3 19th for around 30 dollars, ibasso it01 for about 50 and it00 for around 40. But I am not too sure witch to take
I once saved money and bought a pair of m50x........ Sold it as soon as i could, really didn't like them, felt they were too boomy, mid bass seemed too much, I used the money to get a pair of he4xx and put sheepskin pads and I feel the are perfect

I would agree that the starfield treble is a tad bit more laid back then I'd like, and there sub bass just can't keep up with something like Kool Keith's super hero featuring mf DOOM
But the way they do kid koala's fender bender is perfect

I appreciate the help in advance

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #59,960 of 99,688
My budget is about 70 but I can stretch to 100, I don't want to replace my starfield but find a complimentary set of iems that have a good dry rumble

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #59,961 of 99,688
I have the IT01, and it's a good & warmer V or maybe slight U shape sound but some people had issues with driver flex. Some also had issues with the mmcx connection/the sound cutting out & wearing down. The fit gets somewhat uncomfortable for me after a little while too.

Honestly, you could look into the Reecho SG-03 for $69 if you like bass with a competent sound. Very comfortable. Works well with different tips. Easy to drive/sensitive. It's got a W-shaped profile, with a bit scooped out lower mids. Pretty crunchy & addicting upper-mids and great sub-bass. Not a lot of mid-bass. Responds well to minor EQ changes if needed. Overall pretty great quality sound & value for its price.

Its tonality leans a little cooler than the IT01, but I wouldn't call it that bright because of the mid-mids and sub-bass. Even if it is a little more resolving comparatively. The soundstage is a little smaller & intimate than the IT01, but it has great separation, layering, and imaging I think. I recommend a different cable though as I didn't care for the fit of the one it came with. A nice enough $15-30, 4 or 8 core cable would probably be enough to help it out. The 16-core one I got is a little too weighted.

Attachments

• 0815210039a_HDR.jpg
    0815210039a_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #59,962 of 99,688
My budget is about 70 but I can stretch to 100, I don't want to replace my starfield but find a complimentary set of iems that have a good dry rumble
Reecho SG-03 all the way. It so happens to cost exactly $69..https://penonaudio.com/reecho-sg-03.html These are subbass monsters and happen to have a good sound quality overall but for sub bass. Not too many earphones touches these. I agree with @Ap616 on his take on them.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #59,963 of 99,688
I have the IT01, and it's a good & warmer V or maybe slight U shape sound but some people had issues with driver flex. Some also had issues with the mmcx connection/the sound cutting out & wearing down. The fit gets somewhat uncomfortable for me after a little while too.

Honestly, you could look into the Reecho SG-03 for $69 if you like bass with a competent sound. Very comfortable. Works well with different tips. Easy to drive/sensitive. It's got a W-shaped profile, with a bit scooped out lower mids. Pretty crunchy & addicting upper-mids and great sub-bass. Not a lot of mid-bass. Responds well to minor EQ changes if needed. Overall pretty great quality sound & value for its price.

Its tonality leans a little cooler than the IT01, but I wouldn't call it that bright because of the mid-mids and sub-bass. Even if it is a little more resolving comparatively. The soundstage is a little smaller & intimate than the IT01, but it has great separation, layering, and imaging I think. I recommend a different cable though as I didn't care for the fit of the one it came with. A nice enough $15-30, 4 or 8 core cable would probably be enough to help it out. The 16-core one I got is a little too weighted.
Thanks alot, I just checked the fr graph and it looks exactly how I had hoped as far as bass, how is the treble on them?
I appreciate it alot, read a couple reviews. I used to have a Buick park avenue with 2 jl audio 12 w7 subs, I was definitely into bass, but then I sold the car and my musical taste has expanded, one review mention something similar and that along with the graph has me pretty convinced it maybe the best choice

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #59,964 of 99,688
Thanks alot, I just checked the fr graph and it looks exactly how I had hoped as far as bass, how is the treble on them?
I appreciate it alot, read a couple reviews. I used to have a Buick park avenue with 2 jl audio 12 w7 subs, I was definitely into bass, but then I sold the car and my musical taste has expanded, one review mention something similar and that along with the graph has me pretty convinced it maybe the best choice
The treble is fine for the price. Male vocals are not really full because lower mids sometimes. Female vocals are great. Not really an organic/natural sound for a DD. I am a bit upper mid/lower treble sensitive and these aren't too much there. The upper mids are a bit sharp with a BA like timbre in the upper half of the IEM, only at times though. And this can be tamed with tips or EQ fairly well if you are sensitive to that area. I suspect most won't be. They are a solid earphone overall. But I wouldn't call them full basshead IEMs. I have an SVS PC2000 which I really like 😁 They do however deliver above adequate bass quantity with great quality, especially when it's in the mix/the track calls for some authority. But it can also take a step back if it doesn't call for it which is nice.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #59,965 of 99,688
My full written review about Astell & Kern A&Futura SE180 is live now!!

I know I've been keeping you on dry with more budget reviews lately, so this weekend I have the most awesome review I made this month ready for you~

When all that matters is music, and when design combines with musicality, a smooth yet detailed signature, and when a company who's been making flagships for years takes things seriously, they make this nice combo of versatility and sonics.

I'm literally listening to it as I'm posting this, but I will also be around for much longer to help, if you have any questions or if there'll be any way to help ~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...ra-se180-music-player-alpha-dap-incoming.html

Astell-Kern-A-Futura-Astell&Kern-A&Futura-Future-DAP-Music-Player-MQA-DSD-Tidal-Streaming-AK-E...jpg

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #59,966 of 99,688
New MrWalkman firware is out for the Sony NW-A55 (and other variants).

However, there's a surprise: it's the firmware that basically mimics the sound signature of the Sony WM1A/WM1Z. You can download it from the following link: https://www.mrwalkman.ml/p/midnight-v2-for-a50.html

I installed it asap and took it for a quick test. There are indeed eerie similarities to the Sony WM1A (when modded with MrWalkman Midnight firmware). In fact, right now this new firmware is my most favorite firmware for the Sony NW-A55. The staging is the best among all MrWalkman firmwares till date, and the sound has slightly smoothed out transients, resulting in a very pleasant sound signature.

There are differences with the actual WM1A though. The WM1A has better driving power and dynamics, and most importantly resolution/imaging is superior on the WM1A. Other than that, it's kinda similar between them.

So you're getting the sound signature and about 70% performance of a $1500 DAP in a $200 DAP via a simple firmware upgrade. Not bad, not bad at all.

IMG_1097_1.jpg

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #59,967 of 99,688
Hey guys! I'm a bit late to the party (why in the Preamble section) but here is my review of BGVP's 8 Balanced Armature IEM - the DM8. For those who don't know, it comes in 2 shells options - Full Resin and Stable Wood. The stable wood shells are actually quite nice for their $400 pricing since they are hard to come by under $1000, let alone $500. Sonically, I think DM8 is quite a pleasing and easy to like IEM. It is a significant improvement and upgrade over DM7, which was quite a good IEM in itself at its price but DM8 improves on it and takes the sound and overall value proposition to the next level. DM8 has a nice, pleasing, warm sound signature which is not only fun and musical but also has good technical capability. Some finishing imperfections and subjective preferences aside, I think DM8 is a good alternative and complementing IEM to the segment king Blessing2 for people who like a more fun tuned IEM than a reference one. Have to read to know more about what I think of the DM8 in detail. Cheers!

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #59,969 of 99,688
New MrWalkman firware is out for the Sony NW-A55 (and other variants).

However, there's a surprise: it's the firmware that basically mimics the sound signature of the Sony WM1A/WM1Z. You can download it from the following link: https://www.mrwalkman.ml/p/midnight-v2-for-a50.html

I installed it asap and took it for a quick test. There are indeed eerie similarities to the Sony WM1A (when modded with MrWalkman Midnight firmware). In fact, right now this new firmware is my most favorite firmware for the Sony NW-A55. The staging is the best among all MrWalkman firmwares till date, and the sound has slightly smoothed out transients, resulting in a very pleasant sound signature.

There are differences with the actual WM1A though. The WM1A has better driving power and dynamics, and most importantly resolution/imaging is superior on the WM1A. Other than that, it's kinda similar between them.

So you're getting the sound signature and about 70% performance of a $1500 DAP in a $200 DAP via a simple firmware upgrade. Not bad, not bad at all.

IMG_1097_1.jpg
Thanks for announcing the new firmware. Sounds really good. Much wider stage and holographic imaging, with nice bass response. The highs are a tad smoothed over, which gives me slight pause, but still, really high quality mature sound.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #59,970 of 99,688
According to BGGAR tweet, new Blon (BL-MAX) has two dynamic drivers per side, 10mm and 6mm.
oh,
the shell must be huge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back