The discovery thread!
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #58,831 of 100,041
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #58,833 of 100,041
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #58,834 of 100,041
I agree and disagree at the same time. It is all about the exposure to audio gears. How can someone who has no exposure to flagship IEMs knows what's good sound? :)
I can argue to that ā€œreviewerā€ doesnā€™t need an exposure to TOTL IEM, because to some audiences, who have similar background, is a good referencing point.

letā€™s say one reviewer only has exposure to grade B IEMs and below, counting Best of the best as S grade. The reviewer, went across one grade B IEM and graded S, from his/her standard, for other audiences with similar exposures, that review does state a good point and makes sense.

It does require disclosures that the reviwerā€™s background and exposures though, otherwise it will the scale of reviews will just be limited to ā€œone personā€™s absolute perceptionā€.

Iā€™m exercising the same disclosures of my exposures so that many of readers could benchmark to their listening experience from a certain IEM that we share as a common starting point. As I value relative comparison with set standard the most.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #58,835 of 100,041
Think about it this way. With this design, you are getting four IEM for the price of one. Four times two hundred is eight hundred dollars. You are actually getting a fifty dollar discount when you are paying seven hundred and fifty dollars! Haha! /s
Great marketing director we got here!

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #58,836 of 100,041
I have been listening and writing about Fiios newest FD3. What is interesting about this new design from Fiio is it uses 2 nozzle filters. Their more balanced filter has a thicker nozzle mesh which effectively lowers treble presence by about 3dbs or so. Bringing about the best balanced Fiio sound I have heard to date. What is interesting is that they threw in a nicely resolving monocrystalline pure copper cable on the stock FD3 which some folks might actually like better than their more resolving silver plated 8 core Pro cable.

I also happen to have the pro version cable which is the exact same cable they threw in for their higher end FD5. Using this cable with the balanced filter is very synergistic. But what hasn't been done is using the treble filters using this copper cable.

What this does is the copper cable actually smooths out a bit of the treble from the treble filter making is just a bit sparkly in comparison with the balanced filter and using their pro cable. Sound tuning is more variable on their new FD3 than I initially thought. Their new filter design by the way actually works and works well compared to their gimped narrow nozzle filter they threw on the old FD5. Which choked out the sound for a more bassy less airy sound.

The more and more I listen to the FD3. For dynamic fans the FD3 is a very solid offering from Fiio and is easily their best tuning out of the 3. FD5 FH5s and now the FD3. And the price tag don't hurt. Folks that are interested if you already own some more resolving mmcx cables save yourself the $40 extra just for the cable. But if you want a nice modular cable that matches extremely well with the balanced nozzle of the FD3 go for the pro package.

Love that Fiio considers critical points of reviews. The FD3 now caters to everyone and not just their Asian enthusiast base.

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #58,838 of 100,041
I concur, Aroma has better mids ever heard but I donā€™t own Aroma Totlā€¦ yet!
Maybe Iā€™ll go with thunder when Iā€™ll sell some IEMs ā˜ŗļø
DD bass ftw...

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #58,839 of 100,041
Purchased an Anode Acoustics SS HP #2 amplifier about 2 weeks ago. Attaching song-wise impressions of the same in an excel file. I'll upload a complete review once I get more time with the amp. Tested using Hifiman Ananda, Hifiman HE400i, Senn HD600 and Senn HD598 with Fiio X5III, Earman TR-Amp and Topping NX4-DSD and Xonar essence STX with custom op-amps as sources.

Overall seems like a very good purchase for slightly sterile headphones, with its added warmth and clean sound. Price was 25k INR or about 340 usd. Amplification is performed using analog components with some op-amps in the signal path. You can contact Nitin at Anode Acoustics (http://anodeacoustics.in/) and he will help you out in case you have any questions.

EDIT: Adding google drive link, as an alternative to excel, for easier accessibility.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yw8VEfmz6d5YM-Da1Rg2Le9Y1Oi7UFdVSq1Vk68gQag/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

• AA2_TR-AMP_comparison.xlsx
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #58,840 of 100,041
Hey guys! I figured people here who aren't subscribed to the BGVP thread might be interested in this and would wanna check it out, so I'm posting this here too.

Here is my review of BGVP NE5 (link), their newly launched 1DD+2BA+2EST Tri-brid with aircraft grade Aluminium shells, an attractive shell design, nozzle tuning filters and a highly musical and fun sounding signature with good dynamic punch. Check out the review if you want to know more, soon to be published here on Head-fi as well. :)
BGVP NE5 Featured Image.jpg

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #58,842 of 100,041
I can argue to that ā€œreviewerā€ doesnā€™t need an exposure to TOTL IEM, because to some audiences, who have similar background, is a good referencing point.

letā€™s say one reviewer only has exposure to grade B IEMs and below, counting Best of the best as S grade. The reviewer, went across one grade B IEM and graded S, from his/her standard, for other audiences with similar exposures, that review does state a good point and makes sense.

It does require disclosures that the reviwerā€™s background and exposures though, otherwise it will the scale of reviews will just be limited to ā€œone personā€™s absolute perceptionā€.

Iā€™m exercising the same disclosures of my exposures so that many of readers could benchmark to their listening experience from a certain IEM that we share as a common starting point. As I value relative comparison with set standard the most.
Totally agree with you. One has to be transparent about their current and past gear while 'reviewing' IEM. That will give all potential readers a context of his/her views.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #58,843 of 100,041

Thankfully, there are no restrictions as to who may or may not review an item. The more regulated a setting, the less of a hobby it is.

In any case, who determines the parameters?

Do the regulations (if there were any put in place) favour those who determine the parameters?

Who defines when someone is competent to review an item?

What is a review?

Who determines what is the definitive categorisation of a particular tier, in what is, in essence, a subjective issue, namely, how we individually perceive sound?

By stating our views and impressions, on these threads, however brief, are we ALL not "REVIEWERS"?

I had the impression that was the entire point of hobbies, and we congregate here on Head-fi to share our views with like minded people in an interest, we share, in this instance, earphones or audio in general.

There is always the risk that such regulation of a HOBBY slams the door firmly shut on, a young person, or someone with a novel approach to how we percieve sound and here I applaud you @AmericanSpirit, for your novel approach to categorisation!

Just my thoughts!

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #58,844 of 100,041
Also picked up the FD3 and it arrived today. Yeah, this is really my ideal IEM. I know I was hyping the IT01x a few days ago but tbh, the FD3 is the more appealing IEM to me, and it has almost everything to do with the semi-open design (and the mid to treble tuning, which the FD3 nails). iBassoā€™s Be coated driver might be more impressive technically, but the FD3 sounds more refined overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back