The discovery thread!
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #56,987 of 99,860
New Moondrop looks interesting. The description mentions this as being the first Moondrop with est drivers, but if I recall correctly, the Solis uses Sonion ests as well and retails for $1,099. I wonder if this is going to be the new flagship?
I wonder if it is named Variations as it is tunable with filters or switches

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #56,989 of 99,860
I'm looking for a cheap hidden iem like I came across with Heart mirror in the past. Is there anyone who has tried anything from that brand? I'd go for it already but it has mmcx connector type which makes me hesitate a little bit with QC.

Graph doesn't look that bad.

Screenshot_20210610-102402_AliExpress.jpg

Https://a.aliexpress.com/_u8l0HH

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #56,990 of 99,860
Just posted my review of the iBasso IT01X.

3.5/5 - Stock. Unnatural upper midrange/lower treble. Bass quality can't keep up with the quantity. Narrow stage.
4/5 - Modded with damping filter in nozzle. *budget* Sennheiser IE 400 Pro... in tonality. Not even close in technicalities.

Rated at 3.75, rounded off to 4 as Head-Fi doesn't support said rating.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it01x.25204/review/26035/

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #56,991 of 99,860
I'm looking for a cheap hidden iem like I came across with Heart mirror in the past. Is there anyone who has tried anything from that brand? I'd go for it already but it has mmcx connector type which makes me hesitate a little bit with QC.

Graph doesn't look that bad.

Https://a.aliexpress.com/_u8l0HH
Seen 'em but haven't tried 'em. Kinda curious too actually. They do have an 2pin version available in the link you sent if MMCX is really concerning for you.

Gonna go on a bit of a tangent here but imo if the female MMCX part on the IEMs themselves have a plastic ring as high as the little golden tube they wrap around (some are only half as high), then the durability of those connectors should be considerably more solid than those without if you swap cables often, because frequent disconnects seem to widen the aforementioned golden tube if there's no plastic ring to keep them in place, resulting in sound cutting out easily (can be fixed by pinching the golden tube with thin tweezers of sorts since it's split into two parts). So keep an eye out for IEMs with such a design. For example, the TRN TA1 or the S****R MT300.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #56,992 of 99,860
Seen 'em but haven't tried 'em. Kinda curious too actually. They do have an 2pin version available in the link you sent if MMCX is really concerning for you.

Gonna go on a bit of a tangent here but imo if the female MMCX part on the IEMs themselves have a plastic ring as high as the little golden tube they wrap around (some are only half as high), then the durability of those connectors should be considerably more solid than those without if you swap cables often, because frequent disconnects seem to widen the aforementioned golden tube if there's no plastic ring to keep them in place, resulting in sound cutting out easily (can be fixed by pinching the golden tube with thin tweezers of sorts since it's split into two parts). So keep an eye out for IEMs with such a design. For example, the TRN TA1 or the S****R MT300.
Thank you for the answer. Very helpful.

I haven't checked carefully the available options. So, having the 2 pin option, I'll give a shot to those. I hope they will reflect the feedbacks coming from the other buyers.

Luckily MT300 has that special type of plugs that makes it more durable. After seeing some complaints I decided to stay with the stock cables and so far no issue.

I'm also keeping an eye on these but I don't see many reviews.

GR-T20 Wooden Panel DD + 2BA Mixed Bass Hifi Music Monitor Headphone 0.78mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vMmH9Z

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #56,993 of 99,860
1623331946999.png

ISN Audio EST50
Flagship 2 Electrostatic+ 2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile In-ear Monitor
2 Sonion Electrostatic driver for ultra-high frequency
1BA Knowles for high frequency
1BA Sonion for middle frequency
10mm dynamic for bass
Rated input power: 2mW
Max input power: 3mW
Impedance: 18ohm±10%(@1kHz)
Sensitivity: 100±3dB(@1kHz)
Frequency response: 15Hz-70kHz
Channel unbalance: 100Hz and 1kHz≤3dB
Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm

This is exciting. We finally get the successor to the H40. Nice!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #56,994 of 99,860
Sonion mid = Great performance guaranteed !!!

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #56,998 of 99,860
So I was told the H50 was in the works for a while actually but they had to scrap the initial design because it was difficult to top the sonics of the H40 tuning so they had to rethink what they wanted to do for the H40 successor.

EST50 was the answer. This one is going to be really good if the H40 is anything to go by would not surprise me one bit if these set the bar for earphones for the $400 price point. They are calling this a flagship product. Thats a high level statement right there. Cant wait for this one.

Gonna predict a highly refined large spacious dimensional sound with excellent dynamics. The mids Sonin BA should be similar or the same as the Penon Globes so I already know how the mids are gonna sound like. Rich and organic. Full body of sound with excellent extended treble and detail. Just a prediction but a more higher end H40 was probably the goal and this is what they made. You know they poured some effort into this one as it is double the price of their previous H40.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #56,999 of 99,860

You mean something like this?

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #57,000 of 99,860

My TA1's left side is still has a loose connection, sound cuts off when I move my head so I opened a dispute on aliexpress (I tried 2 other cables but it's same). The bad thing is you can't fix it because of the ring around it unlike normal mmcx. Also I'm done with mmcx, I don't know if it's bad luck but this is the 3rd time I'm having a loose connection problem with various brands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back