The discovery thread!
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #57,001 of 101,281
SMSL released their latest desktop dac, the SU-8s. It's equipped with ESS9068AS dac. Along with USB, coaxial and optical, it supports Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX HD/ AptX and AAC. There are both balanced and se output.

Attachments

• 571e2b96d3bb9d34abf20b598ba208b5_799x799-01.jpeg
    571e2b96d3bb9d34abf20b598ba208b5_799x799-01.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #57,002 of 101,281
SMSL released their latest desktop dac, the SU-8s. It's equipped with ESS9068AS dac. Along with USB, coaxial and optical, it supports Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX HD/ AptX and AAC. There are both balanced and se output.
A shame that it doesn't support LDAC or UAT, and that it only appears to function as a Bluetooth receiver instead of as a transceiver. Since I regularly use my HiBy R3 Pro Sabre as a USB connected Bluetooth transceiver for my FiiO LC-BT2, it's a shame that more companies don't create suitable AIO solutions for all possible means of audio connectivity. Especially if it's meant to act as a headless USB DAC/Amp. I'd love for someone to make a proper Bluetooth transceiver with actual windows integration so I could manage my connectivity through windows and have the DAC pass my playback controls through to the OS. As it is, I have to manually detach my Bluetooth neckband from the DAP to connect it to my phone, even though it can handle multiple device connectivity, because it never detects that playback from the DAP has stopped. It's very tiresome.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #57,003 of 101,281
If you're ever in doubt about how to describe something you're hearing, just post a media link to the song you're listening to in your review. Then you can say "listen to this part of this song. I'm hearing ..." to help people understand. It's a nice way for us to listen along and see if our IEMs are good enough or not to pick up on what you're noticing. It's also a fun way for us to find new artists to listen to. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be that technical. Z Reviews has made quite a youtube following for himself through his non-technical, charismatic audio reviews.
Zeos has no idea what he's doing and the fact that anyone listens to the word salad spilling from his mouth is flat out sad. This is someone who has multiple "favorite" speakers, headphones, DACs, and amps any given year that have vastly different presentations. Either he has no idea what he likes, no idea what he's hearing, or only cares about the latest sponsorship payment. We as a community shouldn't even refer to him.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #57,004 of 101,281
Zeos has no idea what he's doing and the fact that anyone listens to the word salad spilling from his mouth is flat out sad. This is someone who has multiple "favorite" speakers, headphones, DACs, and amps any given year that have vastly different presentations. Either he has no idea what he likes, no idea what he's hearing, or only cares about the latest sponsorship payment. We as we a community shouldn't even refer to him.
Regardless, it is his charasmatic presentation that has earned him a following. If anything, we can do better, but some things are best presented in such a way when your ability to describe the acoustic performance or harmonics has failed.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #57,006 of 101,281
Zeos has no idea what he's doing and the fact that anyone listens to the word salad spilling from his mouth is flat out sad. This is someone who has multiple "favorite" speakers, headphones, DACs, and amps any given year that have vastly different presentations. Either he has no idea what he likes, no idea what he's hearing, or only cares about the latest sponsorship payment. We as a community shouldn't even refer to him.
I somewhat agree. But he's entertaining, puts a smile on my face when I hear him gushing about his latest this and that. So, as long as you know what kind of cesspool you're wading into when you're watching one of his videos, and you take everything he says with some cynicism, it's alright I suppose.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #57,008 of 101,281
The reason Z reviews works is he doesn’t use regular audiophile words. He doesn’t come off being able to have golden ears nor is in anyway shape or form a regular audiophile. So his reviews come off as user friendly and accessible to the masses. It doesn’t matter what he says as it is simply his opinion and he has a right to his opinion. He has a variety of speakers that he likes and well as headphones and DAC/amps that he recommends. That’s all the show is about. He is not technical nor goes into long convoluted talk about the audio process; some non-audiophiles like that. You can say what ever you want about him but he still has the last laugh. He has created a business doing what he loves and is passionate about audio. He doesn’t get 1000s of $ of free gear for nothing! He is the blue-collar audiophile.
I somewhat agree. But he's entertaining, puts a smile on my face when I hear him gushing about his latest this and that. So, as long as you know what kind of cesspool you're wading into when you're watching one of his videos, and you take everything he says with some cynicism, it's alright I suppose.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #57,009 of 101,281
So I was told the H50 was in the works for a while actually but they had to scrap the initial design because it was difficult to top the sonics of the H40 tuning so they had to rethink what they wanted to do for the H40 successor.

EST50 was the answer. This one is going to be really good if the H40 is anything to go by would not surprise me one bit if these set the bar for earphones for the $400 price point. They are calling this a flagship product. Thats a high level statement right there. Cant wait for this one.

Gonna predict a highly refined large spacious dimensional sound with excellent dynamics. The mids Sonin BA should be similar or the same as the Penon Globes so I already know how the mids are gonna sound like. Rich and organic. Full body of sound with excellent extended treble and detail. Just a prediction but a more higher end H40 was probably the goal and this is what they made. You know they poured some effort into this one as it is double the price of their previous H40.

Most probably they're gonna up the treble, @ least db level as the Globe - then it's very good. Stage Depth, they should up this one, too...

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #57,010 of 101,281
The reason Z reviews works is he doesn’t use regular audiophile words. He doesn’t come off being able to have golden ears nor is in anyway shape or form a regular audiophile. So his reviews come off as user friendly and accessible to the masses. It doesn’t matter what he says as it is simply his opinion and he has a right to his opinion. He has a variety of speakers that he likes and well as headphones and DAC/amps that he recommends. That’s all the show is about. He is not technical nor goes into long convoluted talk about the audio process; some non-audiophiles like that. You can say what ever you want about him but he still has the last laugh. He has created a business doing what he loves and is passionate about audio. He doesn’t get 1000s of $ of free gear for nothing! He is the blue-collar audiophile.
This statement holds true for so many audio reviewers out there. Not pin-pointing anyone, but if someone guarantees significant reach then however incorrect or random one's view/review/opinion is brands will continue to align with them.

And, viewers/fans somehow resonate with the reviewers opinions then what one can do? They're simply pandering to the demands of their fans. It's upto each individual to deem what's correct for him/her. Superstar reviewers are humans afterall and they too can be wrong.

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #57,011 of 101,281
This statement holds true for so many audio reviewers out there. Not pin-pointing anyone, but if someone guarantees significant reach then however incorrect or random one's view/review/opinion is brands will continue to align with them.

And, viewers/fans somehow resonate with the reviewers opinions then what one can do? They're simply pandering to the demands of their fans. It's upto each individual to deem what's correct for him/her. Superstar reviewers are humans afterall and they too can be wrong.
I just like to know when the stuff they rec is a kind of guilty pleasure sound signature. When something isn't necessarily good for a wide range of genre, but it really hits the spot in very specific circumstances, and that's where they love the product.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #57,012 of 101,281
I just like to know when the stuff they rec is a kind of guilty pleasure sound signature. When something isn't necessarily good for a wide range of genre, but it really hits the spot in very specific circumstances, and that's where they love the product.
Yes. The key is to understand their ears and habits instead of just blind buying or recommending stuff that they choose to push.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #57,014 of 101,281
Jun 13, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #57,015 of 101,281

Users who are viewing this thread

Back