The discovery thread!
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #53,942 of 100,283
Yeah, before I opened the package I wondered what the heck they've sent me. Biggest IEM retail package I've ever seen lol.
I'm curious, is the grill of your MT300 a standard "dotted" grill, or do you have a spiral pattern? I've seen both in photos/reviews.

Dotted:
Dotted.JPG

Spiral:
Spiral.JPG

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #53,943 of 100,283
I'm also liking the MT300s after a few hours with them. They have a very detailed and balanced sound. These are certainly NOT bass light like that weird FR graph in their marketing materials. Actually these sound nothing like that graph. Does anyone have some actual measurements?

These also seem to like the highest gain setting on all amps I tried so far (Geshelli Archel Pro 2.5, Ibasso DX22EX8 and DX159). Lower gain settings have a thinner more high-forward sound.

At their current price they could be the best value set at the moment.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #53,944 of 100,283
I'm also liking the MT300s after a few hours with them. They have a very detailed and balanced sound. These are certainly NOT bass light like that weird FR graph in their marketing materials. Actually these sound nothing like that graph. Does anyone have some actual measurements?

These also seem to like the highest gain setting on all amps I tried so far (Geshelli Archel Pro 2.5, Ibasso DX22EX8 and DX159). Lower gain settings have a thinner more high-forward sound.

At their current price they could be the best value set at the moment.

Glad you like them and they are much better than expected. Mine are also the dotted covers and not the spiral ones.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #53,945 of 100,283
Ya don't skimp on the burn in on them. They clearly benefit from burn in no question. The Zens balanced out of my Fiio M15 is mind blowing. It is dumb how good it sounds.

I had a realization just how good the Zens are this morning. There is no question at the given price point they are amazing. I did so many reviews last year and the Zens are leaving just about everything I reviewed previously in the dust. It is as close to a perfect sound as I can think of and that is what is mind blowing to me.

Zen is the perfect name for the earphones. Looks like Dunu has learned a thing or two in bringing out the Luna and actually advanced a few things beyond that. Zen is your island phone. Zen is a state of mind and you will get that listening to these. Zen in my book will be the bench for all dynamics in the 1K range. Just crazy how good.

Folks that want to leave the mid fi realm and enter what a true high end earphone sound like. Zen is the perfect earphones to start with.
Any initial thoughts on the Zen compared to the IT07. I realize it’s a bit of 🍎 & 🍊.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #53,946 of 100,283
This store has one of the best customer service and I can honestly say that I check their store first before I buy sth on AE.
I agree. Great customer service and really helpful. One of their cables broke on me after a few months and they took it back, no questions asked, after I made a video showing them the issue, and sent me a new one free of charge. They even covered the cost of return postage.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #53,947 of 100,283
Good question. Tonality and timbre I would give the slight edge to the Zens. Vocal lovers would love the Zens. IT07 has this liquid quality to the sound that makes them among one of the best hybrids in the market with supreme bass control and the lowest hitting bass around. Sub bass focused, imaging on both earphones are superb. IT07 has more of a traditional reference sound balancing.. Zens are a bit more harmonish but with high levels of technical ability. Both have great stage and depth.

If you fellas own the A7 or the NM2+ or both .. Think much higher levels of both earphones and I think you can understand what the IT07 and the Zens are like. Just like the cost difference on the A7 vs the NM2+ Their higher end brethren cost accordingly $899 for the IT07, $699 for the Zens.

If your considering upgrading to either one. You gotta ask yourself. Do you want one of the best hybrids in the market or one of the best dynamics in the market. Either earphones are just stupendously good. So the mids of the IT07 is actually the nice dynamic Ibasso is using and the upper details are all done with the 6 BAs on tap so naturalness and tonality is also wicked good on the IT07.
1610669082459.png Upgrade to these would be
1610669150160.png

1610669185369.png

Upgrade to these would be
1610669218535.png

I ain't gonna lie. These two earphones will trade punches and I don't know who would win. Both are exceptional and I consider both clearly in the TOTL territory. Obviously the Zens have the better value of the two. IT07 as some astounding bass with a liquid sound presentation. Zen has this dimensional highly technical and clean resolving character that is also very addictive. Pick your poison. Both are substantial imo.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #53,949 of 100,283
Well, I didn't expect the Zen to compete with multi-BA and hybrid IEMs when they were first announced. @audio123 did tell me that they were on that level of technical refinement along with the cohesion of a single-driver IEM, so fair play to him - he was spot on. Heck, I compared them briefly against the Sony IER-M9 (a pricier IEM and generally very well-regarded) and barring a bit better imaging on the M9 and slightly extended upper-treble, the Zen was basically neck-to-neck and I even preferred Zen's midrange rendition and bass response over the Sony IEM.

$700 is a lot of money, but I am fairly certain a single-DD IEM sounding this good would likely cost over $1000 just a few years back. The accessories are also of great quality. The DUW-03 cable alone makes this a great packaging, even though I find that cable to be a tad on the heavy side (just nitpicking).

Overall, one of those IEMs that I'd encourage people to demo or try if possible. The tuning is so well done that barring the staunchest bass-head/treble-heads everyone will likely find their jam here.

Will soon post comparisons against Moondrop S8, Dunu SA6 and Beyerdynamic Xelento.

IMG_9503.JPG

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #53,951 of 100,283
Well, I didn't expect the Zen to compete with multi-BA and hybrid IEMs when they were first announced. @audio123 did tell me that they were on that level of technical refinement along with the cohesion of a single-driver IEM, so fair play to him - he was spot on. Heck, I compared them briefly against the Sony IER-M9 (a pricier IEM and generally very well-regarded) and barring a bit better imaging on the M9 and slightly extended upper-treble, the Zen was basically neck-to-neck and I even preferred Zen's midrange rendition and bass response over the Sony IEM.

$700 is a lot of money, but I am fairly certain a single-DD IEM sounding this good would likely cost over $1000 just a few years back. The accessories are also of great quality. The DUW-03 cable alone makes this a great packaging, even though I find that cable to be a tad on the heavy side (just nitpicking).

Overall, one of those IEMs that I'd encourage people to demo or try if possible. The tuning is so well done that barring the staunchest bass-head/treble-heads everyone will likely find their jam here.

Will soon post comparisons against Moondrop S8, Dunu SA6 and Beyerdynamic Xelento.

IMG_9503.JPG
Haha this is why it is extremely important to listen/own TOTL IEMs to know what is the best the market has to offer before one can make a solid recommendation.

I said this before, "Different opinions are certain as we are all different individuals. I personally believe that it is important to hear TOTL flagship IEMs to fully understand what good sound is. For example, person A only has experience with under 50 USD IEM while person B has experience with different IEMs up to 2000 USD. Next, in the assessment of a 150 USD IEM, person A will say it is the best IEM he/she has tried while person B will feel it is just alright and competent at its price point. It is evident that it is not easy to please person B due to his/her exposure. In recent times, the standard for IEMs keeps increasing in this ever-competive market and it has come to a point of saturation in which there are many good IEMs but just a few game changing IEMs. Of course, there are other factors that come into play such as source, tips and listening preferences. I am of the opinion that something good can shine with anything. To sum up, reference point, experience and listening preferences are the fundamentals. The more experienced you are, the easier it is for you to discern what's good. Ultimately, it is to enjoy the music. Cheers and Happy Listening! :)"

Enjoy the music everyone!

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #53,952 of 100,283
i've had/have TOTL, mid-fi, and budget, and it also depends on signature preferences. At the moment, i'm digging the mid-fi and budget 'phones i've got, the sources are extremely good, and play some high high res music. Currently i'm having fun bouncing from set to set, discovering different synergies, sound signatures, and just having fun with it. Had I spent $2,000 on one set, i'd have pretty much that one sound. that one set. not sure the fun in that for a zenith end sound, though curiosity definitely does creep in, and i tell myself i could make payments on something, but reality makes it less likely to take the plunge.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #53,953 of 100,283
I'm perfectly happy to continue playing within the budget end of the spectrum, both for the sake of fiscal prudence and because I believe that it is often much more difficult to engineer a good sounding budget product given a limited bill of materials and the need to keep costs down. My goal in this hobby is to find these gems in the rough and to find kicka** musical enjoyment without spending hundreds and thousands on something that will eventually be superseded anyway.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #53,955 of 100,283
I'm perfectly happy to continue playing within the budget end of the spectrum, both for the sake of fiscal prudence and because I believe that it is often much more difficult to engineer a good sounding budget product given a limited bill of materials and the need to keep costs down. My goal in this hobby is to find these gems in the rough and to find kicka** musical enjoyment without spending hundreds and thousands on something that will eventually be superseded anyway.

I thought the same way but soon realized that after about 10 to 15 budget 'OK' iem's I could have just saved that money and bought one of the top tier excellent pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back