The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #53,956 of 99,838
I thought the same way but soon realized that after about 10 to 15 budget 'OK' iem's I could have just saved that money and bought one of the top tier excellent pairs.

And yet, without having tried those budget IEMs, it's hard to know what kind of sound one even likes. Playing with different sound signatures and presentations is part of the hobby after all, and there is not a one-size-fits-all IEM. You'll want different IEMs for different moods, genres, usage contexts, sources, and how much is all that going to cost then?

Budget IEMs (and by budget, I mean < $100) are also improving year on year. My $40 SSP, for instance, is good enough that I have little appetite for splurging on anything higher-tier. My $24 Tiandirenhe is currently putting a big smile on my face. There will be no end to the spending - the question is therefore whether one listens to gear or listens to music.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #53,957 of 99,838
20210115_154651.jpg

Who took this image? 🤣

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #53,958 of 99,838
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #53,959 of 99,838
I adhere to the church of the flying litz cable monster - whenever someone is measuring frequency response, he is changing the results with His loosely bound appendage.

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #53,960 of 99,838
I adhere to the church of the flying litz cable monster - whenever someone is measuring frequency response, he is changing the results with His loosely bound appendage.
Now that's a deity I can follow!

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #53,961 of 99,838

Appendage, you say 😏

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #53,964 of 99,838
20210115_115436.jpg
Another Tony Stark favorite? ☺
I love the look of those (except for the gold/champaign finish), and have often thought of buying a pair simply because of their looks (driver compliment is also intruiging though).
Along with the NF NM2+ they're probably my favourite looking iem.
I'd almost buy the NM2+ based on looks alone, but I'm a bit of a basshead and fear from reviews that it might not quite meet my bass needs.
I also like the look of my IMR EDP, and some of the other models which I don't own (Rah looks good IMO), and Bob says he's going to be slightly reducing the size of the next models, and introducing pure beryllium DD's to the mix, both of which have me very interested.
Hopefully he has plans for a model in a price bracket I can afford, but a step up from my EDP (not that I find it wanting in any way at the price, but I'd happily pay a little bit more for slightly more elevated bass with plenty of punch).

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #53,965 of 99,838
I love the look of those (except for the gold/champaign finish), and have often thought of buying a pair simply because of their looks (driver compliment is also intruiging though).
Along with the NF NM2+ they're probably my favourite looking iem.
I'd almost buy the NM2+ based on looks alone, but I'm a bit of a basshead and fear from reviews that it might not quite meet my bass needs.
I also like the look of my IMR EDP, and some of the other models which I don't own (Rah looks good IMO), and Bob says he's going to be slightly reducing the size of the next models, and introducing pure beryllium DD's to the mix, both of which have me very interested.
Hopefully he has plans for a model in a price bracket I can afford, but a step up from my EDP (not that I find it wanting in any way at the price, but I'd happily pay a little bit more for slightly more elevated bass with plenty of punch).
Look at those vents, of course not for esthetic.☺️

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #53,967 of 99,838
I don't recall seeing any reputable reviews of them, are they supposed to be any good? Fully closed, or open? (I'm guessing there likely is some venting, since it has two DD's).
Anyone here ever own them?
Your guess is as good as mine!☺️

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #53,968 of 99,838
@Slater
20210115_231057.jpg
What will you think of this design? There's 3 red channeling sound tubes. Any chances it's an open venting IEMs?

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #53,969 of 99,838
@Slater
20210115_231057.jpg
What will you think of this design? There's 3 red channeling sound tubes. Any chances it's an open venting IEMs?
I've no idea either. I doubt it's as open as those slots on the faceplate might suggest, but OTOH in theory the silver perforated sheet behind the slots could in turn have a dense or tightly woven material behind it which could allow the DT8's DD's to 'breathe' in a similar fashion to a small vent hole.

I just spotted the KP 580 by the same company. That's another model that I like the looks of!
They seem to do some unique and attractive designs, it's a shame they got themselves banned here.
The MT300 is also very unique looking IMO, although it appeals to me slightly less (looks-wise).
The reports on the bass response (and overall sound in fact) are very tempting though.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #53,970 of 99,838
I've no idea either. I doubt it's as open as those slots on the faceplate might suggest, but OTOH in theory the silver perforated sheet behind the slots could in turn have a dense or tightly woven material behind it which could allow the DT8's DD's to 'breathe' in a similar fashion to a small vent hole.

I just spotted the KP 580 by the same company. That's another model that I like the looks of!
They seem to do some unique and attractive designs, it's a shame they got themselves banned here.
The MT300 is also very unique looking IMO, although it appeals to me slightly less (looks-wise).
The reports on the bass response (and overall sound in fact) are very tempting though.
There's still plenty of space to squeeze in an EST looking at the prints☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back