The discovery thread!
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #51,886 of 100,759
Yes, but the Victor-label products aren't sold in the US, are they? I could find no way to get those and get a valid warranty at least from a cursory Google search. :frowning2:

No. They keep it mostly Japan only. Not as bad as it used to be since Amazon gives at least some support you as long as it is sold by them and not a third party. Have to totally read if they match what the warranty would be from JVC. Of course would be more hassle if needed.

Sometimes I choose to forgo. Had my current JVC TWS for five months now and paid $129 for them the day they came out. They just came out in the last 10 days in the US and are $149 but they have US warranty. Was happy to trade the warranty for the cheaper price and early adoption.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #51,887 of 100,759
Fun discovery via a purchase i made on the head-fi classified from @Jmop. He's still got a couple other iem's for sale too. Anyways, I've owned quite a few Hifiman earphones in the past, and these are easily the most musical with impact. They play extremely well with my R2, so for the time being, these will be my travel single dynamic that i use with my R2/FD1 combo. They are better than the RE-400, RE-600, RE-300, RE-0, and it's very similar to the RE-ZERO, which I loved and used for a long time before selling it to upgrade to the TF10 a second time. The RE-00 has better bass impact and slightly better treble extention, but the soundstage is a bit narrower than the ZERO with slightly less bass resolution, but still, very close in sound quality. I'm enjoying these. If you can find these for sale somewhere, i'd recommend them if you like a balanced sound with lush mids and extended but very controlled treble with very accurate timbre.

IMG_4479.jpg
Forgot I had a pair of these! Will try them tonight. :gs1000smile:
20201117_195505.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #51,888 of 100,759
Forgot I had a pair of these! Will try them tonight. :gs1000smile:
20201117_195505.jpg

That's awesome you found these just laying around lol I did the same today with the Sonicast Dirac +MK2. I was digging for an adapter in my closet and i found them in a random box. Not too bad a pair. Lacks bass weight though. A little bass EQ boost with the RE-00 will do the trick.

Oh and now you got to put them on your signature list. :)

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #51,889 of 100,759
That's awesome you found these just laying around lol I did the same today with the Sonicast Dirac +MK2. I was digging for an adapter in my closet and i found them in a random box. Not too bad a pair. Lacks bass weight though. A little bass EQ boost with the RE-00 will do the trick.

Oh and now you got to put them on your signature list. :)
Bought RE-00 together with HE-350 when they first came out! Moded the latter and still gets playtime weekly.

Remember that didn't like RE-00 initially, too thin and quiet, and they've been dusting for years.

Fortunately they're back in rotation due to your post 😎.

Swapped out the stock double flanges, awful fit for me.

Turns out they're a bit demanding, eh? I'm up to 115/150 volume on my SR25 dap. Reba sounds sexy as hell though, with that power enabling full, silky mids.
20201117_211252.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #51,890 of 100,759
Bought RE-00 together with HE-350 when they first came out! Moded the latter and still gets playtime weekly.

Remember that didn't like RE-00 initially, too thin and quiet, and they've been dusting for years.

Turns out they're a bit demanding, eh? I'm up to 115/150 volume on my SR25 dap. Reba sounds sexy as hell though, with that power enabling full, silky mids.
20201117_211252.jpg

They are demanding, because out of the R5 directly, the volume is up above 50, where as it was about the same volume at 35 with the R2/FD1 combo.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #51,891 of 100,759

20201117_211252.jpg

Btw, nice rig there. Look very nice.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #51,892 of 100,759
For me, along with the many other wonderful attributes, what probably impressed me most was the soundstage and especially imaging. I’ve never heard such holographic imaging from a single DD until the NM2+. I wonder how the Oxygen compares with imaging, since it reportedly is good with it as well.
I concur. I feel the NM2+ is a baby Acoustune HS1695 TI. The NM2+ is more open sounding than the Oxygen and the note is less thick. As for imaging, I feel NM2+ has the edge.
The NM2+ better than my Moondrop KXXS?! Well, that not saying too much as it's not a favorite of mine to begin with, as i think the bass is kinda undefined and forward and the treble is the dreaded relaxed type that just isn't my friend, but some good friend's of mine swear by the NM2+, so it might be an interesting future purchase if i end up selling my JVC FW01's soon?
Agreed. It is not a favourite of mine too. If we agree that KXXS is blunt sounding with undefined bass and relaxing treble, I think you will be in for a treat with the NM2+. NM2+ blows it out of the water. :)

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #51,893 of 100,759
the relaxed treble is what turned me off to the Moondrop Kanas Pro. That boring ass treble. it was just a boring earphone, and i got the KXXS for a great deal right here in the classified hoping it would be an improvement over the Kanas Pro with more air and tighter bass, and just more fun, and it turned out to not be the case. It's why i decided to skip the Starfield. Though I do love my Crescents when they aren't suffering from channel imbalance.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #51,894 of 100,759
rather than going for the KSC75, I'd rather buy an Edifier H185: similar and more stable sound, much cheaper, smaller footprint, less finicky to fit (the KSC75, as comfortable and easy as it is to wear, would be finicky for some to get a good bass response with).

i use a modded mmcx one with a BT20S Pro and never look back at another KSC75, or other earclips for that matter
Both KSC75 and H185 are extreme price/value bargains. Very musical and easy to listen to.

I find KSC75 to sound richer and warmer, especially with Yaxis on.

H185 isolate better and sound brighter due to better treble extention.

Google'd H185 mmcx and it looks great. Too bad I don't see available on AE.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #51,895 of 100,759
IMG_20201118_150842802~2.jpg

I might have found a deal I couldn't pass up...

I think with this I have fully scratched the DAP itch for the year ahead and even beyond.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #51,896 of 100,759
IMG_20201118_150842802~2.jpg

I might have found a deal I couldn't pass up...

I think with this I have fully scratched the DAP itch for the year ahead and even beyond.

Which one is that?

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #51,897 of 100,759
Which one is that?

The ZX300A. Basically a ZX300 for the Chinese market (though still built in Malaysia) that had 16GB internal storage rather than 64GB (which I don't care about). Nailed this mid-2019 unit for the equivalent of 220 USD, an absolute bargain for what it is, and ready to handle any transducer out there with its 50mW unbalanced and 200mW balanced outputs!

IMG_20201118_161223225.jpg

It is such a beautiful object that I could cry.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #51,898 of 100,759
The ZX300A. Basically a ZX300 for the Chinese market (though still built in Malaysia) that had 16GB internal storage rather than 64GB (which I don't care about). Nailed this mid-2019 unit for the equivalent of 220 USD, an absolute bargain for what it is, and ready to handle any transducer out there with its 50mW unbalanced and 200mW balanced outputs!

IMG_20201118_161223225.jpg

It is such a beautiful object.

Getting a Sony of this caliber for $500 off, and the condition it looks to be in, it's a no brainer. i'm a Sony fanatic myself. I've saved all my Sony's (five over the last 12 years), even the dead ones. They are in a box. can't throw them away/ they've always given me so much pleasure, so well done, and let me know how you like it and if it's worth pursuing?

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #51,899 of 100,759
Getting a Sony of this caliber for $500 off, and the condition it looks to be in, it's a no brainer. i'm a Sony fanatic myself. I've saved all my Sony's (five over the last 12 years), even the dead ones. They are in a box. can't throw them away/ they've always given me so much pleasure, so well done, and let me know how you like it and if it's worth pursuing?

I sure will! There is definitely a difference in sound going to the (stock) ZX300 from even my firmware-modded A55 that comes across even with my lowly KZs - it's like a veil has been lifted, and we aren't in Kansas entry-fi land anymore...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #51,900 of 100,759
OMG, no!! :triportsad:

"...Ultimately, the blaze was extinguished around midnight on October 23, a full 82 hours after it began. According to IC industry news site SemiMedia, the entire factory is now offline and is expected to take a minimum of six months to restore production.

Chinese semiconductor distributor CGoC Industrial Electronics publicly noted that it expects various AKM DAC series (AK4332, AK4331, AK4432, AK4382, AK4385, AK4373, AK4396, AK4431, AK4456, AK4490, AK4493, AK4495) and possibly ADC series (AK5384, AK5385, AK5386, AK5397, AK5534) to be affected, but in fact, the factory produced far more than that.

“Every AKM part we use—ADCs, DACs, ASRCs and Receivers—is made exclusively in the Nobeoka plant,” said Millennia’s La Grou. “Of course, all AKM audio parts immediately disappeared from front-line distributors [such as] Digikey, Mouser, etc. And now the after-market brokers are selling AKM parts at horrific mark-ups. We saw one $5 AKM part being offered at $110 each.”"

No more DAC's, or any device that integrates a DAC as part of it's operation... motherboards? I better get that new x570 motherboard now.... sigh, I was gonna wait till Feb 2021, but if it takes 6 months to get back to production - probably optimistic estimation given the world situation right now - it could be a full year before we see new hardware with DAC parts.

Of course there's probably enough parts in the distribution system to keep some existing products running for quite a while...hmmm.... what to do?
AKM Factory Fire—A Pro-Audio Industry Disaster
A 82-hour fire in AKM's semiconductor factory is already hurting numerous top pro-audio manufacturers around the globe.

BY CLIVE YOUNG ⋅
PUBLISHED: OCTOBER 29, 2020

AKMNobeoka City, Japan (October 29, 2020)—In the wake of a massive three-day fire at the Nobeoka City factory of semiconductor producer Asahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM), pro-audio manufacturers around the globe are now facing anticipated shortages of crucial DAC and ADC chips used in their products. “It’s probably the most disruptive event in my 40 years of audio industry experience,” said John La Grou, CEO of Millennia Media. “Devastating is not too strong a word. Can 2020 get any worse?”

Millennia is just one of many high-end pro-audio companies with major products designed around AKM chips; others include Solid State Logic, TASCAM, miniDSP, Merging Technologies, SPL of Germany and RME, to name only a few.

The AKM fire broke out at the semiconductor manufacturing plant on Tuesday, October 20, and took three days to put out. While no one was hurt, reportedly 400 employees were evacuated when it began. Parts of the building structure, including sections of walls and the roof, collapsed on October 22 after another fire broke out on the factory’s fifth floor. Throughout the blaze, a chemical odor emanated from the building, thought to be hydrogen chloride generated by the coatings of electrical cables on fire.

Ultimately, the blaze was extinguished around midnight on October 23, a full 82 hours after it began. According to IC industry news site SemiMedia, the entire factory is now offline and is expected to take a minimum of six months to restore production.

Chinese semiconductor distributor CGoC Industrial Electronics publicly noted that it expects various AKM DAC series (AK4332, AK4331, AK4432, AK4382, AK4385, AK4373, AK4396, AK4431, AK4456, AK4490, AK4493, AK4495) and possibly ADC series (AK5384, AK5385, AK5386, AK5397, AK5534) to be affected, but in fact, the factory produced far more than that.

“Every AKM part we use—ADCs, DACs, ASRCs and Receivers—is made exclusively in the Nobeoka plant,” said Millennia’s La Grou. “Of course, all AKM audio parts immediately disappeared from front-line distributors [such as] Digikey, Mouser, etc. And now the after-market brokers are selling AKM parts at horrific mark-ups. We saw one $5 AKM part being offered at $110 each.”

Millennia caught at least one break—the company’s HV‐316 remote‐controllable microphone preamplifier, which was introduced in September, is based around AKM ADCs, but the company purchased a year’s worth in advance to meet expected demand. La Grou anticipates Millennia will be able to ship the HV-316 with AKM ADCs until 4Q21, by which point the Nobeoka factory may be back online. Nonetheless, faced with a dearth of AKM chips for the foreseeable future, Millennia has begun redesigning all its impacted products, including a number in development.

Millennia Media is hardly the only pro-audio manufacturer affected by the AKM fire, however. Numerous well-known brands use AKM chips in their products, such as SPL of Germany’s new Control One and Marc One monitor controllers, introduced just last week; Solid State Logic’s popular SSL 2+ USB interface; RME’s ADI-2 Pro AD/DA Converter; multiple Merging Technologies Horus & Hapi and Anubis AD/DA interfaces; miniDSP’s SHD streaming audio processor; and others.
There’s a rumor that AKM will pivot their IC masks to independent fab houses,” La Grou noted hopefully, “so perhaps we’ll see some AKM devices before the main plant is again operational.

I hope everyone is ok at AKM, and that they are able to pivot the production through other resources...
A quick follow up, in order of date:

AKM is preparing for outsourcing production
November 4, 2020

http://www.semimedia.cc/?p=8574

"...The fire caused no personal injuries to employees, but the impact of property and business performance is unclear...

"AKM said that the fire broke out in the second manufacturing department of AKM's production center, which mainly produces analog/digital LSI. In addition, AKM emphasized that its other factories are not affected by the fire, including the manufacturing department of the first production center and the third manufacturing department of the production center.

According to the supply chain, AKM's products have begun to experience shortages in supply and soaring prices. Industry insiders said that the shortage will be difficult to solve in the short term, which will become the biggest chip supply difficulty encountered by the audio industry over the years."

AKM Fire Fallout: What’s Pro Audio’s Next Move?
NOVEMBER 6, 2020

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/pro-audio-ponders-akm-fire-fallout

"Two weeks after a three-day fire-ravaged AKM's factory that produces high-end DAC and ADCs, the pro-audio industry is still determining what to do next."

"...I still have close to zero information as far as the AKM prognosis is concerned,” said Chris Hollebone, sales and marketing manager at Merging Technologies. “As far as we are concerned, we are taking stock, literally, over the weekend and trying to ascertain whether an order that was about to be delivered was destroyed in the fire or might still make it…. We have enough parts in-house to keep us going for a while, but not knowing when any production might start may cause us headaches down the line..."

For now, the pro-audio industry awaits news from AKM.

Asahi Kasei Microsystems
https://www.akm.com/us/en/ "

No announcements from AKM, on their site:
https://www.akm.com/us/en/about-us/news/

Fire Destroys AKM Audio Chip Factory: Can 2020 Get Any Worse?
November 13, 2020

https://www.audioholics.com/news/fire-destroys-akm-audio-chip-factory

"One niche in the consumer audio industry that will be particularly hard-hit by a temporary loss of AKM parts is the one that serves high-end headphone enthusiasts. Many of that community’s favorite DAC/Amps and DAPs for both stationary in-home and portable hi-fi headphone listening are likely to feel shortages in the coming months.

Beloved brands like Schiit, JDS Labs, SMSL, Topping, Monoprice and Fiio are all well-known for making excellent products that use AKM chips to bring high-end sound to headphones at a variety of price ranges.

Monolith is well-known among headphone aficionados for its accessories, like the legendary Monolith portable headphone DAC/Amp and is already warning customers about possible shipping delays for select products that feature AKM DACs.

So, if you've been thinking about buying any audio products that are liable to carry AKM's DACs, you'd better check for available stock and act fast, it could be awhile before we see them return to stores."

Comments:
https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...ctory-bad-news-for-audio-supply-chain.119916/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back