The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #51,856 of 100,954
Even put on the 75 clips?? Been along time since I had the Portapros but the Sporta pro had the muddiness due to the stock headphone band. Have to get them off those stock headbands and on to the lighter one and bend it right. Should not be that much difference but if there are some reflections from that back cap of that headband. Ideally you want as little as possible, just a little bit more than the ball joint snapped in really...
1605558736885.png
Free back of the driver, same pressure, they should not be that far apart where one is not likable/usable.
Havent tried that.

I love that I can just use the 75 without any changes at all, straight out works OOTB.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #51,857 of 100,954
How do they stack up with some of the others in the field? Did you also get into the LZ A7 craze yet? Or the DUNU hybrids (like DK-2001, etc.)?

I don't have much to stack them against except my AKG K7XX. I did get to test them compared to the Final E5000. The Flares are better in most aspects to the Final's except soundstage size.

I run mine balanced out of the Hiby R6 Pro. I think they stack up really well against the other stuff I have that had similar MSRPs, such as the iBasso IT04, Inear SD-2 & the DUNU DK-3001 (non-pro version). I have the E5000, too, plus the ISN H40, Penon ORB, LZ A6 (I'm waiting for a used A7) - it's a tier above those in my opinion.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #51,858 of 100,954
Havent tried that.

I love that I can just use the 75 without any changes at all, straight out works OOTB.

Except for the "lacking a lot of bass quantity" thing. :wink: On ears can work with the outer ear so can do a little more than in-ears can in the budget range but most times need some work to dial them in.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #51,859 of 100,954
Except for the "lacking a lot of bass quantity" thing. :wink: On ears can work with the outer ear so can do a little more than in-ears can in the budget range but most times need some work to dial them in.
EQ can actually help with the bass quantity a lot and without losing much quality.
But I do like it for what it is, a very natural bright-neutral earclip that suits acoustic music. So the bass quantity isnt exactly a problem for that kind of music.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #51,860 of 100,954
Okay, so I have the M and ML Spiral dot SF coming and a little something to put them on. What they were created for I think, if I read right. My first Victor model in a long time only having JVC branded stuff and not any top line Victor branded models. The FX100T...
1605563703724.png

Never did try the Spiral dots in ML but these do come with a full set. Good as I no longer have SD to compare with the SF so I can compare fresh sets of each.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #51,862 of 100,954
So... Do i wanna headband my KSC75?

If you want a bit more bass, the ability to hang on the neck, and quicker on/off then probably yes. :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #51,863 of 100,954
Is JVC and Victor the same company? I'd hope they are as independent as say KZ and CCA?

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #51,864 of 100,954
JVC is consumer. Victor is the higher end label. The FD01 while good is a JVC
1605565382740.png

Where the FW10000 is a Victor...
1605565445795.png

So, a Victor branded and Victor studio tuned true wireless is an interesting curiosity even though it is the entry level model.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #51,865 of 100,954
The porta pro sounds dark and muddy in comparison the the KSC75 to me though.
Not with the Yaxi's they don't :wink:

Technically, the sound out of the KSC75 is a bit more balanced, but the porta pro's are more engaging and have a bigger soundstage with the Yaxis on.

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #51,866 of 100,954
I'd love to own the FW10,000. It's the form factor i was looking for with the next generation woodies, but alas they took it into the $$$ stratosphere.

Nov 16, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #51,867 of 100,954
rather than going for the KSC75, I'd rather buy an Edifier H185: similar and more stable sound, much cheaper, smaller footprint, less finicky to fit (the KSC75, as comfortable and easy as it is to wear, would be finicky for some to get a good bass response with).

i use a modded mmcx one with a BT20S Pro and never look back at another KSC75, or other earclips for that matter

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #51,868 of 100,954
was it here people wanted an openheart OH2000 review (aka openheart grado clones)
I'm no massive audio expert but:

build: 10/10, all metal, adjustment mechanism is hard to adjust but stays very firmly unlike grados sliding all over the place

accessories: incredible 10/10 thicc braided cable with metal chin adjustment, metal splitter, metal 3.5mm
very high quality pleather/leather bag, makes the m40x's stock bag feel like crap in comparison, smaller accessory pouch seems? to be real leather maybe, also very nice
grado pads are decent quality, about average, misodiko I think was the store with the nicest, softest foams I've worn, I'm not even sure if yaxi pads could be softer and nicer.

sound: it's basically a cheap sr60e from what any opinions on the SR60e seem to suggest, it's bright (possibly not as much as an sr60e), it's got somewhat forward mids (maybe not as agressive as grados), nothing below 50hz at all I think from my dodgy phone mic measuremeants, so you don't get much bass at all, but the midbass is alright.
I however don't have an sr60e.

So comparisons:
better sounding than ksc75 in every way by a bit, bass perhaps doesn't go as low as a porta pro, ksc75 lovers will enjoy this one's sound

not as good in any way as grado allesandro ms1, which manage more bass and subbass quantity, a tad less brightness and amazing lucious forward mids, and substantially more detail.

SHP9500 are probably still better sounding overall, but this is the headphone for modders, I believe it houses 40mm drivers, and it's very easy to take apart, put a higher end driver in, the build quality is incredible, all metal and it would be far more sturdy than any unmodded grado, heavier than my ms1s though, but still fairly light, the headband is also padded.

Fidelio x1s make these sound like a joke, but they're currently for $150 on aliexpress, so a bit over double the price of these, a steal honestly.

Said shell usually costs ~$100, without cable, without driver, probably without any jacks too, and pads, and pouches.
so openheart is doing us all a huge favour if you want to do some very easy soldering and find a good driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back