The discovery thread!
May 9, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #47,176 of 100,768
Do you think it is more or as detailed then S8F and has a better tonal balance?

Don't have the S8F now,
I'll just carefully say that S8F had more glare, treble extension, brightness (In a good way) than the JQ 8+1 which is more intimate.
The JQ 8+1 has very nicely defined/balanced treble more incorporated with the mids and overall more fluid sound (less dry) than S8F with similarly excellent details.
For me balance and enjoyment goes to JQ

May 9, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #47,177 of 100,768
1589050128415.png

Hifiboys OS V3 going for $125 on Drop. Seems to be a decent deal for these.

Penon now has the NF audio NM2. And this is from the description.
Real monitoring earphones
From the perspective of music production, pay more attention to the true expression of each musical instrument and timbre, easier to hear the melody, harmony, and cultivate good listening habits. NF Audio benefits from years of advantages in the design and manufacture of high-end custom monitor earphones. A large number of high-level musician users, high-level sound engineers and musicians set the sound of the earphones, and have precise control over the monitoring needs.
1589050357258.png

May 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #47,178 of 100,768
For folks living in the US. Any of you guys spend a bit on audio with your stimulus money? Lol. I am guilty I admit. But hey I am doing my part by buying and spending.
I'm still working so I bought the Moondrop S8 and put the rest of the check into my savings.

May 10, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #47,179 of 100,768
So this woojer strap shows up all the time for me but I've never seen anyone mention it on here.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/woojer-edge-you-ve-experienced-sound-all-wrong#/

It sounds interesting in a gimmicky sort of way.

Anyone try this?

For $109 I may take the plunge since the tide of new chifi had really been slow due to COVID. If nothing else it sounds like it might be a fun add on for some pairs like the IMR Rah or EE legend X . Or it could be a total joke, but at least someone is trying to fix the biggest problem I have in general with headphones (the lack of feeling the music through your body).

Those new CSJ models are a sight for sore eyes though, if not overly exciting. Good to see new stuff making it's way to market... That's a positive sign.

May 10, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #47,180 of 100,768
If anyone wants to have some fun, I invite you to check out my video review of the FiiO BTR3K, a bluetooth receiver that has balanced output, but is only 70 USD this time around (compared to the 130 USD for BTR 5)

I also posted a full in-depth written review about Dunu DK-3001 PRO!! Really loving their sound, which is balanced to V-Shaped, and their engaging midrange. More details in the full article, including comparisons with other 5 IEMs, and pairings with 5 sources!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/05/the-opera-leader-dunu-dk-3001-pro-iems.html

Dunu-DK-3001-PRO-IEMs-Hybrid-Earphones-Spinfit-DX220-Hulk-Cable-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-23.jpg

May 11, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #47,181 of 100,768
Woojer finally piqued my curiosity.... Another IGG debacle to be had I'm sure. But only $120 this time.

IGG may as well have a warning on the payment page that says "are you sure you really hate yourself enough to deal with another IGG campaign?". That way you can't get mad at IGG cause it was your own damn fault, and they clearly warned you.... You just never learn from your mistakes....

Also, I see penon is selling a pair called the anew X-One. Never heard of the brand, but If I'm reading it right, it almost sounds like it comes with swappable crossovers....

That's the first I've ever seen that. They describe it a bit differently but I can't imagine what else the "sound module" chips would be.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #47,182 of 100,768
Woojer finally piqued my curiosity.... Another IGG debacle to be had I'm sure. But only $120 this time.

IGG may as well have a warning on the payment page that says "are you sure you really hate yourself enough to deal with another IGG campaign?". That way you can't get mad at IGG cause it was your own damn fault, and they clearly warned you.... You just never learn from your mistakes....

Also, I see penon is selling a pair called the anew X-One. Never heard of the brand, but If I'm reading it right, it almost sounds like it comes with swappable crossovers....

That's the first I've ever seen that. They describe it a bit differently but I can't imagine what else the "sound module" chips would be.
That Anew X-one does look interesting.
Wonder what drivers they're using? (especially curious about the dynamic)
The metal shell and white finish are cool, hope someone gets one for review.

May 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #47,183 of 100,768
That Anew should be better designed. Damn that logo on those pieces is ugly. More little things to lose. Right out on the face is a bad place for dirt and moisture to possibly get in. At least with switches you won't chance losing them and you can combine instead of only one at a time. Not paying attention you can put them backwards and there will be a lack of bass. People get so angry if not USB C these days so they don't like having to plug something in a correct way, lol. I guess they are a small Chi-Fi outfit but they could have done it better I think. Integrated into changeable faceplates might have been a better idea.

May 11, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #47,184 of 100,768
That Anew should be better designed. Damn that logo on those pieces is ugly. More little things to lose. Right out on the face is a bad place for dirt and moisture to possibly get in. At least with switches you won't chance losing them and you can combine instead of only one at a time. Not paying attention you can put them backwards and there will be a lack of bass. People get so angry if not USB C these days so they don't like having to plug something in a correct way, lol. I guess they are a small Chi-Fi outfit but they could have done it better I think. Integrated into changeable faceplates might have been a better idea.
I didn't think about that. I question the whole concept anyway as an EQ/DSP guy. The sets I have with switches or filters I'll still just pick the combos that gives me the most bass and EQ from there.

It's just an interesting first, it's nice to see the innovation. More notable innovation coming from China....

May 11, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #47,186 of 100,768
May 11, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #47,187 of 100,768
Don't have the S8F now,
I'll just carefully say that S8F had more glare, treble extension, brightness (In a good way) than the JQ 8+1 which is more intimate.
The JQ 8+1 has very nicely defined/balanced treble more incorporated with the mids and overall more fluid sound (less dry) than S8F with similarly excellent details.
For me balance and enjoyment goes to JQ

Hi James, for SQ overall JQ 8+1 or Oriolus MKII ?

May 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #47,188 of 100,768
ehm wasnt the Shuoer Tape or something else first with a magnetostat?

How I hear it the Earbridge driver is used in the Tape. Earbridge magnetostat has been around for quite a while and they license it to others if I was informed correctly.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #47,190 of 100,768
https://www.linsoul.com/products/shuoer-soloist
1589227044971.png

Another in the latest round of $150 - $200 single dynamics @$160. Liquid silicone kevlar driver quoted as "the first used in HiFi earphones." Here to fight with the D10's of the world. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back