The discovery thread!
May 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #47,206 of 101,798
Next Ch-fi driver candidate: vibranium ceramic coated nano-Particle adamantium moving coils with triple cavity 1.95 flux rating.

Shouer Tape advertised to have low voltage electrostatic driver when in fact it was off the shelf magnetostatic driver by Earbridge.

So basically Liquid (Silicone Kevlar) Driver means Liquid (Crystal Polymer) Driver worded differently to stand out from the rest.

Well the Shuoer thing was something different with the name. Magnetostat driver is quite good and no reason not to use the name as low volt electrostat is not more impressive and not even accurate. We know it does not meet the definition of an electrostat. Noble calls it an "active balanced magnetic" driver so again I think they can't use the term magnetostat instead of trying making things sound better.

The new Shouer could indeed be something never used before so they are more honest in this case. Of course trying to make it sound good but only yet another slight variation. Tons of slight carbon coating and even Be applications and in this case perhaps a slightly different LCP so not exactly the same as in Sony or others.

On Head-fi though we should all be above that and know that the whole driver construction design and tuning is the most important. The diaphragm material only contributes somewhat to the sound character but is far from the whole driver. A driver can sound good regardless of coating or diaphram material but a diaphragm alone can't make a bad driver sound good. Nice to know what is in there as we might have preferences. I have a titanium preference over the years with Koss, my Sony CD's with evaporated titanium coated, Cresyn, Goldring, and now my most recent Simgot TW and Elecom(which is already on my top 5 all time favorite in-ear dynamic driver list). So, I think that trying to stand out marketing is more for the masses. Many Head-fiers love the new toy syndrome or suffer from grass is always greener syndrome and also can't resist the curiosity and feed the need of hobby so they don't even need that marketing. They just want to try a new Shuoer or a new DUNU or whatever. Not stopping people from buying the ISN D10 which is only touted as "9mm dynamic driver" :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #47,207 of 101,798
Did the case also come from Musicteck?

Bought at the same time. Got confirmation the older M6 case fits as well. So I do notice one aspect I appreciate. Shanling M6 pro don't get hot if at all when playing. My M15 gets nice n toasty when playing. Again another reason why the M6 pro is more portable.

May 12, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #47,208 of 101,798
Bought at the same time. Got confirmation the older M6 case fits as well. So I do notice one aspect I appreciate. Shanling M6 pro don't get hot if at all when playing. My M15 gets nice n toasty when playing. Again another reason why the M6 pro is more portable.

I've seen several styles of M6 cases (at different prices) - so it's good to know that they will fit the M6 Pro.

May 13, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #47,209 of 101,798
So we finally see something new on the NiceHCK page.

1589343830566.png

Not so much in the budget realm but interesting. These modules supposedly changes up the tuning. The graph I was looking at seems to change up the treble end more similar to the LZ tuning nozzles more than actually drastically change the entire sound profile. In any case this seems to be a new company. Sold on NiceHCK web site.

It is good to see our friends at aliexpress starting to slowly get back to new designs and here we have a new hybrid. Will let you all know how this one is once I get em.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #47,210 of 101,798
When it rains it pours. So for your discerning eyes only. Penon is announcing a new IEM.
1589345496247.png

Penon ORB

Balanced Armature+ Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Detachable Audiophile IEMS

10mm dynamic driver Graphite fiber wire paper dome soft grainless vibrating membrane

Exclusive customization, brass is processed by precision lathe, the size is accurate to 0.1㎜, and the surface is specially treated to prevent oxidation. Compared with stamping parts, the cost is higher.

Brand: Penon

Model: ORB

Driver: Balanced Armature full frequency

Dynamic driver: 10mm

Impedance: 10 Ω @1khz

Sensitivity: 112 ± 3dB @1khz

Frequency response: 20hz-20Khz

Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm

Plug: 3.5mm Audio

Cable length: 1.2M

graph.jpg

Looks like RP will be $259. Keeping the hybrid design simple one great full range BA and one high end 10mm dynamic. This is the next step up from Penon's own brand. This one is a good one to keep tabs on. If the Sphere is any indicator of how well these guys can tune. This one is going to be interesting. Stout sub bass with good balancing.

May 13, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #47,211 of 101,798
And another.

TRI starlight. 4estat, 2 ba 1 DD.

May 13, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #47,213 of 101,798
May 13, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #47,215 of 101,798
May 13, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #47,216 of 101,798
May 13, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #47,218 of 101,798
They trying to live up to the model's name: Oh... :yum:
sad that they spiked up the price so much after the Oh10.

The ikko OH(my wallet!)7. Interested if this will sell much esp. with the flowers which may be the biggest deterrent. Penon's latest listings with a $5,800 L&P and a $950 ikko. For a lot of people there is a "new normal" economically and it isn't a $6,750 player/earphone combo. It is kinda sad as so many want Chi-Fi to be the bang for buck stuff forcing the "western" brands into a new normal not becoming them with $1000 earphones and giving less than they could at more modest price levels,

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #47,220 of 101,798
So we finally see something new on the NiceHCK page.

1589343830566.png
Not so much in the budget realm but interesting. These modules supposedly changes up the tuning. The graph I was looking at seems to change up the treble end more similar to the LZ tuning nozzles more than actually drastically change the entire sound profile. In any case this seems to be a new company. Sold on NiceHCK web site.

It is good to see our friends at aliexpress starting to slowly get back to new designs and here we have a new hybrid. Will let you all know how this one is once I get em.

Anew is not a new company. I analyzed their previous model over a year ago right here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/anew-u1.23347/reviews#review-21517

I was betting on single dynamic drivers and I'm surprised that I'm now launching a hybrid... But, welcome to it.

It's very curious the tuning change system, I hope it's robust and the changes are more substantial...

It seems to be cheaper here...

https://penonaudio.com/anew-x-one.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back