The discovery thread!
May 13, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #47,221 of 101,741
OK - Here's a challenge for y'all -
Back at the end of 2016, I bought a set of LZ A4 earphones - which I really do like.
The list price of the A4 was $195, but Penon offered a discount to $150.
Can you name a set of $150 - $200 earphones that are a distinct & obvious upgrade in sound quality, over the LZ A4?
*** What I mean by "upgrade in sound quality" - is even better low Bass, even more natural Midrange, even more clear & detailed Treble, and a big, accurately presented Sound Stage. Since my high frequency hearing does drop off beyond ~14-KHz, I'm not too concerned with response anomalies beyond that.

May 13, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #47,222 of 101,741
Back at the end of 2016, I bought a set of LZ A4 earphones - which I really do like.
Can you name a set of $150 - $200 earphones that are a distinct & obvious upgrade in sound quality, over the LZ A4?
*** What I mean by "upgrade in sound quality" - is even better low Bass, even more natural Midrange, even more clear & detailed Treble, and a big, accurately presented Sound Stage. Since my high frequency hearing does drop off beyond ~14-KHz, I'm not too concerned with response anomalies beyond that.

I have lz-a4, I auditioned isn h40 for half an hour, h40 is fat thick sound&fun, the sub bass rumbles, good hi freq extension, better mid than lz a4, easy to drive, definitely an upgrade. Cons definitely not for progressive death metal genre 😁😁😁

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #47,223 of 101,741
May 14, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #47,224 of 101,741

I don't have the lz-a4, nor have I ever been able to prove it.
I have the ISN H40 and I love it, perhaps, in its range, it has the best bass range I've ever heard.
As a bass lover, the H40s leave me very satisfied in that respect. But, in both mids and highs, I have a weakness for the NS Audio NS5 MKII Extra Bass.
I reviewed both IEMS here and on my blog. In the H40 review, I compared them directly.
It will depend on your taste about the profile of each one. But I think you can't go wrong if you buy either of them.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h40.24083/reviews#item-review-23436

Good luck with your decision.

May 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #47,225 of 101,741
The LZ A6 could be a great upgrade from the A4 (havent tried it) but it is just a bit over your budget (around 230 usd).

May 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #47,226 of 101,741
The LZ A6 could be a great upgrade from the A4 (havent tried it) but it is just a bit over your budget (around 230 usd).

I did ask about a specific comparison between the H40 and the A6 (when it was on sale for ~$200) - and several people here (or in the Audio Lounge thread) recommended the H40.
So, my question here was general - asking about any earphone that's a significant upgrade, and still less than $200.

May 14, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #47,227 of 101,741
I did ask about a specific comparison between the H40 and the A6 (when it was on sale for ~$200) - and several people here (or in the Audio Lounge thread) recommended the H40.
So, my question here was general - asking about any earphone that's a significant upgrade, and still less than $200.
It's a tad over budget, but the JVC FD01 with a simple, reversible mod is the best IEM for the money as far as I'm concerned. $225 on Drop. There's also the FDX1 which is essentially the same, but with the mod done already to two of the three nozzles. It's out of stock though, and $25 dollars more.

May 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #47,228 of 101,741
yeah I get that, hard for me to give you any accurate recommendations since I have no idea how the LZ A4 sounds like.

Tin Hifi P1 can be a great one if you can get it to fit and with proper amping (although might be wiser to wait for the P2)
Shuoer Tape is also nice if you can use eq to remove the 3,5khz peak

May 14, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #47,229 of 101,741

If you are into some in your face and really detailed highs, Shuoer Tape is a nice addition. It has that subbass that digs deep as the LZA4 and has bigger treble extension and quantity.

I'm a big fan of bright sets with deep sub bass so I like tape a lot. You may have to eq it a bit though to tame the 3.5khz peak. For me it's a good candidate.

But it's really hard to recommend anything that will stomp the LZA4 in this Budget... It's a hell of a good set especially for the money.

May 14, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #47,230 of 101,741
Have you gave any thought on the LZ A6mini? Since your focusing on a certain price bracket these might be what you're looking for. And, you'll save money, too!

May 14, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #47,231 of 101,741

"Warm, thick, and smooth" and...
Tuned to be Balanced.
This model features a smooth transition between the three frequencies. With it, you can feel the surge in bass, the thickness in mids and the details in highs. Sibilance is controlled and altered to a favorable level to present enough details without too harsh

Sounds like another ISN competitor. Also, just me. or are getting more and more away from the old Chi-Fi detail and treble pushing?
1589478347146.png

The green wood is quite handsome as well.

May 14, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #47,232 of 101,741

That's a high task bud. I doubt there's going to be anything that will sound similar to the LZ-A4 especially for the price range. In fact, I've made other purchases since and nothing comes close as to what it offers.

One suggestion would be the Cayin YB04 but that's like twice the price and has more of a totally neutral (read flat) bass. Smooth as a baby's butt though with some pretty good wide soundstage.

I swear, they should re-release it with 2-pin connector and it'll be over for any competition in that price bracket. Fun enjoyable signature indeed! I'd get it for the third time for sure!

May 14, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #47,233 of 101,741
It's a tad over budget, but the JVC FD01 with a simple, reversible mod is the best IEM for the money as far as I'm concerned. $225 on Drop. There's also the FDX1 which is essentially the same, but with the mod done already to two of the three nozzles. It's out of stock though, and $25 dollars more.

The FD01 is not currently available on Drop. I am waiting for the FD01 or FDX1 to drop again.

May 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #47,234 of 101,741
Have you gave any thought on the LZ A6mini? Since your focusing on a certain price bracket these might be what you're looking for. And, you'll save money, too!

I remember reading that the LZ A6 is better than the LZ A4, at approximately $100 more.
Is the LZ A6 Mini discernibly better than the LZ A4?

May 14, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #47,235 of 101,741
I remember reading that the LZ A6 is better than the LZ A4, at approximately $100 more.
Is the LZ A6 Mini discernibly better than the LZ A4?
1589492474879.png

Hopefully, someone that actually has both the A6 mini and A4 can confirm or deny this statement here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back