The discovery thread!
May 8, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #47,161 of 101,031
So I got some information about the new NF Audio NW2.
NM2?

I don't know chinese, but marketing suggests they're for monitoring etc. professional use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The graph, if real, looks pretty nice.

1588921606611.png

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #47,162 of 101,031
NM2?

I don't know chinese, but marketing suggests they're for monitoring etc. professional use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The graph, if real, looks pretty nice.

1588921606611.png

Yes nice graph. A lot of CHIFI marketing is hyperbole though.

Personally, I wouldn't use budget pure dynamic driver type setups for audio work and stage monitoring, as they tend to lose out to multi BAs in the technicals and isolation department (in general). Exceptions exist of course, and DDs have their strengths in timbre and bass decay.

May 8, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #47,163 of 101,031
Based on that graph the NM2 looks to have a bit less bass vs the NA2. Still has zero roll off in the region. Will be interesting to hear. Looks like it has more treble energy. These look like a middle ground between the NA1 and the NA2.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #47,165 of 101,031
For folks living in the US. Any of you guys spend a bit on audio with your stimulus money? Lol. I am guilty I admit. But hey I am doing my part by buying and spending.

How much government is paying you in US?
In Canada, we are getting about $9000 per person who lost a job.

May 8, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #47,169 of 101,031
Looks good but twice the price of the T800. Good to see more companies using dips switches for a variable music experience.

Kinboofi and Simgot both have models out with switches as well and have for quite awhile. The Kinboofi was the Mk4 and the Simgot EK3. Both were pretty good too and cheaper than the Fa9 by a good bit too if memory serves.

May 8, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #47,170 of 101,031
For folks living in the US. Any of you guys spend a bit on audio with your stimulus money? Lol. I am guilty I admit. But hey I am doing my part by buying and spending.

I've purchased a couple of cables, to allow me to connect my earbuds or earphones w/Mic to the PC or Phone at work - since pretty much every meeting nowadays is via Skype, WebEx, or Teams. Other than that, I haven't spent on audio, after the announcement of the $1,200 check.

May 8, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #47,171 of 101,031
Got a couple of the CJV models coming to try out - not sure of quality of either yet - anybody else tried these yet? I think CSA and CSN are the models.

May 8, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #47,172 of 101,031
I allotted 10% of my $1,200 to have stuff to play around with. I bought the new Elecom true wireless coming in stock any day now :angry:, I bought a Warehouse deal Vsonic VS3 for $16 and I decided to be a guinea pig on these... https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Hea...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V3FKFMQMDWAFT1A8EH6J
1588961081057.png

So, budget Chi-Fi untested model. Would I get burned?? Got kinda duped slightly though I can see the confusion. There are two models as it shows on the box. Both E13S and E13Pro. They advertised the E13Pro with the dual armatures but these are the E13S which is the same thing but a single 6mm dynamic with no pouch and slightly different specs. I already fired off a message to them that they should fix the listing to show the right thing. Not an issue really as they seem to be good and worth the price and figure the armature model would probably cost a bit more.
1588961278880.png

Still good though. Decent presentation, the same as the Senn bi-flanges in S/M/L, a solid MMCX cable, and Yamaha styled housing that are really small and provide a good fit. Normal MMCX fit and fit ~5-ish mm range tips like JVC and Azla and Senn etc. Here they are with my FiiO short cord and some JVC tips on them...
1588961255248.png

Decent build. metal housing with good finish and solid MMCX sockets on them. nothing to complain about. No L/R markings on the housings since they are totally symmetrical. The sound signature is pretty balanced with a rich bass and some treble but the mids are still forward. Still running them in but they have fine clarity but pretty good for $20 bucks. Better than some but not giant killer in that area. They have good extension better down low than up top but solid treble reach for a microdriver with a rich sound. You get some detail and nice cymbals with them. Stage is a bit wider than tall but good depth as well. The present like some micro driver models do, with a forward and immediate presentation. The mids are the star of the show with the E13s model. These are rich and engaging mids/vocals. Immediate, crisp and clear but still rich and emotive and have some depth to them. Pretty wow mids for the $20.

Which is on the the second part of the "discovery" is indeed the cable...
1588964803272.png

As seen in the earlier pic I have swapped out cables. other cables are good for clarity and such for the E13s but 3 other cables have all shown more balance. The mids are from the cable and they go away with the others. Some mids magic with the cable and good ability for this "1.2M pure copper" cable. Some highly engaging mids can come from the cable and I am happy with this cable for the $20. Nice plug and reliefs, decent braid, small Y, light weight, and all black look. No slider and might not be the best against tangles it seems but some forward sweet vocals from this cable. Just my experience so far but you could buy the E13s for the cable and get tips and an earphone to boot. Good cable especially if you are looking for a straight down model.

Leading to the third discovery. That the cable is the final piece to get my Elecom RH2000(aka AMA25813) to it's potential along with Azla Sednafit tips. Got those for less than $25 back here... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3100#post-15461929
The deeper core Azla work well on the short tube and the fit. Struggle a little with the fit but also have been looking for a cable for them. I could hear the 12mm titanium external magnet drivers potential if not realized yet.
1588966266159.png

From the Elecom site: "By adopting a high-rigidity diaphragm coated with titanium on PET film, rich low range and clear high range are realized. By adopting a PET film with a thickness of only 9 microns for the diaphragm, a lively and lively sound is reproduced. 30 ribs are provided on the surface of the diaphragm to prevent abnormal vibrations such as deformation of the vibrating membrane, split vibration, and rolling. This reproduces the sound with less distortion and excellent transparency. " An accurate description.

1588969473469.png

Certainly a bit toward neutral but pushed a bit more with the shallow fit so the Azla do the job of getting a good seal. The cable being a pure copper might be the choice as it does seem to have at least a little warmth to it but also those mids which do follow right over and are still the star of the show. A bit different with less and even clearer bass lower down so they don't stand out as much in that same way as on the E13s but still in front and the most immediate thing that hits you. Still nice bandwidth/reach for the cable to work on the Elecom driver. Sparkly transparent treble with nice reach but still good reach down low as a 12mm can give. Bass is more quick and sharp and detailed. For $50, the cost of the "cable" and the earphones, probably the best sound for that money I have heard and the Elecom driver potential realized. Fast, transparent, detailed, nearly effortless, roomy, black background sharp notes but still dynamic bass.

Hard to compare against my Azla MKII since they take the same pair of M Sednafit tips but I have compared against my Nxears Sonata, a $200 pair that is worth the price. Almost the same signature and level. the Elecom bass is dynamic though and sounds more like that while the Sonata sounds like Knowles, good Knowles, armature bass. The Elecom may be a bit sharper of note than the Sonata. So close to each other with little differences. Both better than the Finschi even with a cooler cable. Would have to also take from memory the Elecom over the Tape for the better mids and perhaps even better coherency mids. The Elecom can now really battle in the $130 to $200 range.

Update to add the last little tweak. I just ordered the ML earfits that will finish the Elecom nicely and I can put the M back on the MKII. Then might compare the two. But up against my other recents, EM2, King III tweaked to more treble, Oriolus, Shuoer Tape, Sonata, and what I'm forgetting but no doubt you can get good triple digit dollar sound out of the $50 Elecom. Think Titan T1(I've heard them all) done better, less linear and more blended together not quite as airy but big and speaker like with more transparency better bass mids and treble.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #47,173 of 101,031
I allotted 10% of my $1,200 to have stuff to play around with. I bought the new Elecom true wireless coming in stock any day now :angry:, I bought a Warehouse deal Vsonic VS3 for $16 and I decided to be a guinea pig on these... https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Hea...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V3FKFMQMDWAFT1A8EH6J
1588961081057.png
So, budget Chi-Fi untested model. Would I get burned?? Got kinda duped slightly though I can see the confusion. There are two models as it shows on the box. Both E13S and E13Pro. They advertised the E13Pro with the dual armatures but these are the E13S which is the same thing but a single 6mm dynamic with no pouch and slightly different specs. I already fired off a message to them that they should fix the listing to show the right thing. Not an issue really as they seem to be good and worth the price and figure the armature model would probably cost a bit more.
1588961278880.png
Still good though. Decent presentation, the same as the Senn bi-flanges in S/M/L, a solid MMCX cable, and Yamaha styled housing that are really small and provide a good fit. Normal MMCX fit and fit ~5-ish mm range tips like JVC and Azla and Senn etc. Here they are with my FiiO short cord and some JVC tips on them...
1588961255248.png
Decent build. metal housing with good finish and solid MMCX sockets on them. nothing to complain about. No L/R markings on the housings since they are totally symmetrical. The sound signature is pretty balanced with a rich bass and some treble but the mids are still forward. Still running them in but they have fine clarity but pretty good for $20 bucks. Better than some but not giant killer in that area. They have good extension better down low than up top but solid treble reach for a microdriver with a rich sound. You get some detail and nice cymbals with them. Stage is a bit wider than tall but good depth as well. The present like some micro driver models do, with a forward and immediate presentation. The mids are the star of the show with the ES13S model. These are rich and engaging mids/vocals. Immediate, crisp and clear but still rich and emotive and have some depth to them. Pretty wow for the $20.

Which is on the the second part of the "discovery" is indeed the cable...
1588964803272.png
As seen in the earlier pic I have swapped out cables. other cables are good for clarity and such for the E13s but 3 other cables have all shown more balance. The mids are from the cable and they go away with the others. Some mids magic with the cable and good ability for this "1.2M pure copper" cable. Some highly engaging mids can come from the cable and I am happy with this cable for the $20. Nice plug and reliefs, decent braid, small Y, light weight, and all black look. No slider and might not be the best against tangles it seems but some forward sweet vocals from this cable. Just my experience so far but you could buy the E13s for the cable and get tips and an earphone to boot. Good cable especially if you are looking for a straight down model.

Leading to the third discovery. That the cable is the final piece to get my Elecom RH2000(aka AMA25813) to it's potential along with Azla Sednafit tips. Got those for less than $25 back here... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3100#post-15461929
The deeper core Azla work well on the short tube and the fit. Struggle a little with the fit but also have been looking for a cable for them. I could hear the 12mm titanium external magnet drivers potential if not realized yet.
1588966266159.png
From the Elecom site: "By adopting a high-rigidity diaphragm coated with titanium on PET film, rich low range and clear high range are realized. By adopting a PET film with a thickness of only 9 microns for the diaphragm, a lively and lively sound is reproduced. 30 ribs are provided on the surface of the diaphragm to prevent abnormal vibrations such as deformation of the vibrating membrane, split vibration, and rolling. This reproduces the sound with less distortion and excellent transparency. "

Certainly a bit toward neutral but pushed a bit more with the shallow fit so the Azla do a good job. The cable being a pure copper might be the choice as it does seem to have at least a little warmth to it but also those mids which do follow right over and are still the star of the show. A bit different with less and even clearer bass lower down so they don't stand out as much in that same way as on the E13s but still in front and the most immediate thing that hits you. Still nice bandwidth/reach for the cable to work on the Elecom driver. Sparkly transparent treble with nice reach but still good reach down low as a 12mm can give. Bass is more quick and sharp and detailed. For $50, the cost of the "cable" and the earphones, probably the best sound for that money I have heard and the Elecom driver potential realized. Fast, transparent, detailed, nearly effortless, roomy, black background sharp notes but still dynamic bass.

Hard to compare against my Azla MKII since they take the same pair of M Sednafit tips but I have compared against my Nxears Sonata, a $200 pair that is worth the price. Almost the same signature and level. the elecom bass is dynamic though and sounds more like that while the Sonata sounds like Knowles, good Knowles, armature bass. The Elecom may be a bit sharper of note than the Sonata. So close to each other with little differences. Both better than the Finschi even with a cooler cable. Would have to also take from memory the Elecom over the Tape for the better mids and perhaps even better coherency mids. The Elecom can now really battle in the $130 to $200 range.
Interesting. I may need to give that cable a try for my Yamaha EPH-200.

May 9, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #47,175 of 101,031
I looked at the 6 driver one and looks interesting. They seem to be an off shoot of TRN in my opinion.

That's my guess too - be interesting to see them in person and see how close they are to their TRN counterparts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back