The discovery thread!
Nov 13, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #44,761 of 100,709
I guess they must like the V-shaped tuning/sound better. My V90 aren't bad but they have a little 'artificialness' to the sound (tone?). I'll take the bass and smoothness of the Blon any day.

The BLONs and V90 are very different animals due to their different transducers (drivers). One is a single Dynamic driver (DD) and the other a hybrid with multi BA (balanced armature) drivers, and they have different strengths and weaknesses.
The single DDs tend to have better timbre and tonality (like the BLON), but the multi BA/hybrids like TRN V90 generally have better clarity/details/instrument separation. So it depends what u want in your sound signature and what genres of music u listen to.

I haven't heard the TRN V90, but the previous generation of multi BA/hybrids like the KZ ZS10 Pro and **** had outstanding techinical abilities, but they were too artificial in timbre for acoustic instruments for me, and I gave the ZS10 Pro and **** away after I heard the BLON BL-03, cause I mostly listen to classical, jazz and acoustic. I saw u are getting the BLON Cardinal in the BLON thread, u won't be disappointed if u are looking for a good timbre, it has one of the best timbre I have heard so far.

I auditioned a summitFI QDC Anole VX (10 BA, > $2000 USD) last week, and it blows away all of my other stuff I have ever heard in the last 15 years of using IEMs. Details/clarity/imaging/instrument separation were on another planet. IMHO, the VX's timbre for acoustic instruments was excellent for a multi BA set, but was still a tinge not as natural as the $30 USD BLON BL-03.

But the good news is that CHIFI stuff in the sub $100 market is of high quality nowadays, and we have different options for different folks. We can even get both a TRN V90 and BLON BL-03 to suit different genres and moods, without breaking the bank. YMMV.

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #44,762 of 100,709
The BLONs and V90 are very different animals due to their different transducers (drivers). One is a single Dynamic driver (DD) and the other a hybrid with multi BA (balanced armature) drivers, and they have different strengths and weaknesses.
The single DDs tend to have better timbre and tonality (like the BLON), but the multi BA/hybrids like TRN V90 generally have better clarity/details/instrument separation. So it depends what u want in your sound signature and what genres of music u listen to.

I haven't heard the TRN V90, but the previous generation of multi BA/hybrids like the KZ ZS10 Pro and **** had outstanding techinical abilities, but they were too artificial in timbre for acoustic instruments for me, and I gave the ZS10 Pro and **** away after I heard the BLON BL-03, cause I mostly listen to classical, jazz and acoustic. I saw u are getting the BLON Cardinal in the BLON thread, u won't be disappointed if u are looking for a good timbre, it has one of the best timbre I have heard so far.

I auditioned a summitFI QDC Anole VX (10 BA, > $2000 USD) last week, and it blows away all of my other stuff I have ever heard in the last 15 years of using IEMs. Details/clarity/imaging/instrument separation were on another planet. IMHO, the VX's timbre for acoustic instruments was excellent for a multi BA set, but was still a tinge not as natural as the $30 USD BLON BL-03.

But the good news is that CHIFI stuff in the sub $100 market is of high quality nowadays, and we have different options for different folks. We can even get both a TRN V90 and BLON BL-03 to suit different genres and moods, without breaking the bank. YMMV.
Thank you for the info, that describes what I've been experiencing.
I don't know if I'm the oddball but sound wise to me the V90 is basically a minor improvement of the ZS10 Pro.
I'm with you on the rise of Chifi. I have felt let down with a lot expensive iems that I have purchased.
You mentioned the anole VX so it made me curious if you have tried the fearless roland? I literally just got a pair and with first listen I'm not sure what to make of it (I wasn't wow'd). Seems different than iems I have heard before (I have a good sized collection). Thanks.

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #44,763 of 100,709

WHOLY SMOKES!. This sound from a single BA?? I am baffled. Just dumbfounded. Now I can see why they are charging $169 for these.

I can't believe how good these sound. Out of nowhere Penon decides to throw down a gem of an earphone. I haven't heard 6-10 BA earphones that sounds this good. Lol. WOW. I don't even know what to think here. I was so not expecting these things to sound like they do.

Not a fan of the stock cable but my goodness these sound great. It has a full bodied sound, spacious, smooth and rich at the same time. Deep hitting bass. Excellent timbre. Very natural sounding. They pulled some magic out of this one. Never in my life have I heard a single BA sound this good. Vocals sounds absolutely SUPERB on these.

By the way the shells are actually smaller resin and not as big as you would think. Very comfy in the ear. Single tube out with a small filter in the nozzle out using a single BA. Complete and utter surprise!

These are clearly playing in a higher realm in SQ. Superb. Absolutely Superb. Lol This is actually a good deal for this sound quality.
Goes to show you. A masterful tuned single BA can sound superior to multi BA earphones that aren't tuned as well. My goodness. I would hate to see what these guys can do with multiple BAs. Lol.
What iems are they?

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #44,765 of 100,709
If the DK-3001 PRO is an evolution of the DK-3001, the successor to the DN-2000 is the DK-2001. Design-wise, it shares more in common with the DK-3001, so it's now 3 BA + 1 DD, but now uses custom BA drivers to optimize coil impedances, and obviously uses one of our PVD beryllium drivers. It also has a cable with our modular plug system. (Edited for spelling)

So you mean that the dk2001 is sonically superior to the old dk3001?

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #44,766 of 100,709
we offer beryllium-coated drivers on five different models, ranging from $139 to $899. That's a pretty big range of prices. Our DK-4001, the 17th Anniversary Limited Edition model, DK-3001 PRO, and (not yet released) DK-2001 all have 13mm drivers with dual-sided PVD coatings, but they sound quite different because the coating thicknesses are different, the microscopic grain structure is different, and the base polymer material is different. So we can tailor the response of the driver to be ultra fast and clean in the transients, thick and bold sounding, or gentle and resolving.

The Beryllium coated diaphragm of its new models is far superior to the carbon nanotubes found in Falcon C? In fact, I love Falcon C because of how fast and refined it sounds, it is neither too thick nor too thin, it is at its right point and resolves a good amount of detail. The falcon's bass is clean, linear and at the same time very impactful.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #44,767 of 100,709
I guess they must like the V-shaped tuning/sound better. My V90 aren't bad but they have a little 'artificialness' to the sound (tone?). I'll take the bass and smoothness of the Blon any day.
The V90s are punchier than the Blons...which is less natural but goes well with certain types of music. I needed the JVC Spiral Dots and an amp to bring out the midrange of the V90.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #44,768 of 100,709
The V90s are punchier than the Blons...which is less natural but goes well with certain types of music. I needed the JVC Spiral Dots and an amp to bring out the midrange of the V90.
Idk. The Blon BL-03 is a perfect IEM for any type of EDM to me. Sounds like an EDM concert to me because of bass and the soundstage.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #44,769 of 100,709

the best "mid boosting" eartips that i've tried is the Ortofon tips

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #44,771 of 100,709
So this years 11.11 sales is done. Don't know if it was just me but I wasn't blown away by the deals. I felt the deals were better in the past. Maybe due to just how many earphones are out in the market now with so much competition prices are probably already as low as they were going to go. I found myself not buying much this year.

Well I did get some cables which are always good deals during 11.11 but that is about it.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #44,772 of 100,709
So this years 11.11 sales is done. Don't know if it was just me but I wasn't blown away by the deals. I felt the deals were better in the past. Maybe due to just how many earphones are out in the market now with so much competition prices are probably already as low as they were going to go. I found myself not buying much this year.

Well I did get some cables which are always good deals during 11.11 but that is about it.

Yeah, I found the BGVP DM7 cheaper from Amazon.de than Ali Express, didn't buy them. Bought the T4 and a cable instead. Well that and a new phone from gearbest, that was cheap.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #44,773 of 100,709
Would like to share a picture of some eartips that I use these days. My personal favourites are Acoustune AET07 & JVC Spiral Dot++. :)

First Row: Symbio W, JVC Spiral Dot
Second Row: Azla Sedna, JVC Spiral Dot++
Third Row: Spinfit CP100, Acoustune AET08
Fourth Row: Spinfit CP360, Acoustune AET07

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #44,774 of 100,709

I focused on smart battery chargers, TV signs boosters etc. I also ordered some pill boxes for eartips.

Idk. The Blon BL-03 is a perfect IEM for any type of EDM to me. Sounds like an EDM concert to me because of bass and the soundstage.
The Blons are really tip dependent. I essentially extended the nozzle length by adding a rubber ring around its base and by reversing the Starline tips as described by @Slater and cited in my review. I was simply lucky that this harmonized with my ears. Anything else had failed and I thought these Blons were no good. Another shortcoming is a channel imbalance: it measures quite big but doesn't really matter when listening. They all have it. The revised Blons will address all the shortcomings.

What I like about all this: great sound for relatively little money. Not everybody here has American or Singaporean incomes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back