The discovery thread!
Nov 11, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #44,671 of 106,674
Perhaps you can enter our giveaway when we announce the even in a couple of days, then! :slight_smile:

Full disclosure: we're actually making zero on the DM-380 --- at $49, it is designed to be a loss leader, meant to let people get re-acquainted with the brand's prowess in acoustic engineering and driver development.

We're very aware of the fact that we've been pretty silent on the international end of things for the past few years, and we're working to change this. Frankly, our business in China has been thriving --- we're one of the sales leaders in the enthusiast personal audio sector, and often rank in the top three for 11/11 sales, alongside companies like HiFiMAN and FiiO. However, simultaneously, we understand that we had a missed opportunity in the international space. Our job now is to get people re-engaged with our brand and products, so we will be releasing more international and US-specific product variants in the coming months.
Thank you for giveaway information. İ entered giveaway campaign after you informed me. İ wish goodluck for your international journey

Nov 11, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #44,673 of 106,674
@DUNU-Topsound So how can we enter the giveaway event? I'm close to paying for DM-380 on AE, but if I'm eligible to receive one pair in the event, that's would be great.
Hope to hear from you quick, my AE coupons do not last long!

You can save your coupons on something else; help us get the word out on our 17th anniversary celebration and you're eligible for the giveaway.

In the next couple of days, we'll be posting various Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter posts with the hashtag #17thAnniversary. The winner of the giveaway will be chosen randomly from the total number of shares made to posts containing that hashtag between 11/13 to 11/29. This means that the more an individual shares, the higher the chances of winning.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #44,674 of 106,674
You can save your coupons on something else; help us get the word out on our 17th anniversary celebration and you're eligible for the giveaway.

In the next couple of days, we'll be posting various Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter posts with the hashtag #17thAnniversary. The winner of the giveaway will be chosen randomly from the total number of shares made to posts containing that hashtag between 11/13 to 11/29. This means that the more an individual shares, the higher the chances of winning.
I am more interested in the DM480 and waiting for it to be launched on the Dunu site.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #44,675 of 106,674
I am more interested in the DM480 and waiting for it to be launched on the Dunu site.

We will commence pre-orders on 11/29; our goal is to get any pre-orders to users by Christmas.

We're also pondering whether we should launch a head-fier special package DM-480 with a DUW-02 (stock DK-2001 cable) or LYRE cable (stock DK-3001 PRO cable), both of which have our quick-switch modular plug system.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #44,678 of 106,674
Another BGVP product came around and again, I would like to share my thoughts about its sound and overall build.

BGVP DX5

PROS:
- Excellent build quality
- Warm and smooth midrange
- No hint of sibilance
- Above average soundstage quality
- Non-fatiguing sound
- MMCX

CONS:
- Lacks in bass quantity, not for bassheads
- Easily slips out of my ear conchae due to the small driver diameter
- No L/R indicator on the earbuds themselves

Source used: AUNE M1s

Build
Shells are made of metal with good design in mind. It's not your generic kind of shell design. I think this can take a beating and would still work. The 8-core stock cable included is also well made from the MMCX connectors down to the L-plug, which are also both made of metal by the way.

Fit
This pair didn't sit well in my ears due to the small diameter of the drivers and probably the shape of the shells. There are rubber fins included in the package aside from the 6 pairs of extra foams (including donut ones), but they often don't do justice to an earbuds' sound, IMO. I didn't bother using them this time. I prefer using earbuds worn down all the time. For the foams, I used the included full ones.

Sound
Bass - I would consider this pair as bass light. Though the low end isn't totally anemic, they just lack in quantity than what I would have preferred. Subbass is very subtle but is still felt. Midbass has a bit more emphasis here having good punch when needed. I enjoyed using them for genres such as Alternative Rock, Jazz, and vocal centric tracks.
Mids - This area is where I liked them the most. Lower mids has good warmth and is smooth overall. No sibilance at all. Guitars, saxophones, and trumpets are easily heard loud and clear. Though I feel like clarity would benefit more by using donut foams instead of full ones.
Treble - Upper mids to treble is smooth and quite laid back. It is not entirely veiled throughout and sparkle is still audible enough with decent texture, though I feel like there's an early roll off here.
Soundstage - Overall sound feels centered except for the slight emphasis on the upper bass and lower mids. Stage width is actually good, which contributes to the better texture of its bass and treble. Even though they're ever so slightly more pushed back than the mids, good layering and 3D imaging saved their asses so they're not totally left behind in quality.

Conclusion
If you're not a basshead and is in for long listening sessions with tracks that are focused on vocals, the DX5 is a good option for you. Earbuds with this kind of build quality at this price range is not so common. You'll often find the likes of this at above $100. If not for the fit issue (which differs among all of us), this pair would have been a great addition to my earbuds collection. I'm sure some other people will have better experience than I had.

SPECS
Model: BGVP DX5
Drive unit: 14.2mm DLC Dynamic
Impedance: 30ohm
Sensitivity: ≥111dB SPL/mW
Frequency response: 10Hz-45kHz
Distortion rate: 0.5% @ 1kHz
Channel balanced: ≤1dB
Rated power: 8mW

IMG_20191110_203335-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_203614-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_203744-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_211104-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_211638-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_212225-01.jpeg

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #44,679 of 106,674
How does this compare to the BLON BL-03, Kanas Pro and JVC HA FDX01 (since these are all DDs)?
OK, I tested a bit further last night: Blon vs. KBEAR. First, nothing wrong with the Blons. They are what they are and I like them a lot. Some reviewer wrote the Blons smear in comparison to the Tin Hifi T4, but, as far as I know, both have the same driver...and nothing smears in the Blons for my ears [careful with the T4's treble]. The Blons are good and cheap and that's what I like. And the fact that I use them indicates to me that they truly are good (for me).

A/Bing the Blons with the KBEARs I initially had problems finding a discernible quality difference when listening to rock, pop, and some weird country. The difference was more evident in orchestral music: the KBEARs were more refined in the midrange, not as bright, smoother with a better definition...but all of this was not much better. There will be no reason to replace your Blons any time soon. See the KBEAR as their own (very interesting) entity. Presently, they are a bit bassier than the Blons but this will change. People, who didn't find a good fit with the Blons will probably consider the KBEAR.

The KBEAR may be a worthy follow-up to the much looser (less coherent) sounding iBasso IT01. If you compare both as car analogs, the KBEAR is a BMW that runs tight over medieval cobble streets whereas the iBasso is a Volkswagen with a rattling dashboard.

IMG_0054.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #44,680 of 106,674
OK, I tested a bit further last night: Blon vs. KBEAR. First, nothing wrong with the Blons. They are what they are and I like them a lot. Some reviewer wrote the Blons smear in comparison to the Tin Hifi T4, but, as far as I know, both have the same driver...and nothing smears in the Blons for my ears [careful with the T4's treble]. The Blons are good and cheap and that's what I like. And the fact that I use them indicates to me that they truly are good (for me).

A/Bing the Blons with the KBEARs I initially had problem finding a discernible quality difference when listening to rock, pop, and some weird country. The difference was more evident in orchestral music: the KBEARs were more refined in the midrange, not as bright, smoother with a better definition...but all of this was not much better. There will be no reason to replace your Blons any time soon. See the KBEAR as their own (very interesting) entity. Presently, they are a bit bassier than the Blons but this will change. People, who didn't find a good fit with the Blons will probably consider the KBEAR.

Thanks for the impressions! Looks very promising, that's definitely one set I'll keep my eye out for.

Well regarding the BLON's poor fit, a few of us in the BLON thread have ordered a supposed big brother of the BLON BL-03, the BLON cardinal/bluejay. It's about $64 - 75 USD in shops on AE for 11/11. It supposedly has the same drivers as the BL-03, but in a resin shell and it has a longer nozzle. Initial reviewers said the fit and isolation is much better. I bought one and am waiting for my set to arrive.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #44,682 of 106,674
Thanks for the impressions! Looks very promising, that's definitely one set I'll keep my eye out for.

Well regarding the BLON's poor fit, a few of us in the BLON thread have ordered a supposed big brother of the BLON BL-03, the BLON cardinal/bluejay. It's about $64 - 75 USD in shops on AE for 11/11. It supposedly has the same drivers as the BL-03, but in a resin shell and it has a longer nozzle. Initial reviewers said the fit and isolation is much better. I bought one and am waiting for my set to arrive.
As far as I know, there is a Blon BL-03 MK II discussed: with longer nozzles. The manufacturer negotiated with drop.com but a distributor was faster and they sold the "normal" Blons. Not sure whether this killed the project.

Another reason for purchasing earphones is the "look" (see cables). The KBEAR are a bit boring...and the Tin Hifi stuff as well as the KZ stuff is repetitive.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #44,683 of 106,674

I use the large ikko i-Planet foams on my bl03 works well, but they are a shallow fit.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #44,685 of 106,674
As far as I know, there is a Blon BL-03 MK II discussed: with longer nozzles. The manufacturer negotiated with drop.com but a distributor was faster and they sold the "normal" Blons. Not sure whether this killed the project.

Another reason for purchasing earphones is the "look" (see cables). The KBEAR are a bit boring...and the Tin Hifi stuff as well as the KZ stuff is repetitive.

Are you saying the "new" BL-03 that are being sold might come with a longer nozzle? Those would be worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back