The discovery thread!
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #44,701 of 99,604
Eh. I have put double exposure of the graphs of BLON and Harman 2017 and the BLON seems to be boosted from 500Hz onwards compared to treble which we assume relatively flat. It's not that harmanish giving the thing they have 4 to 6dB boost in lowest frequencies.

So, what are your suggestions to get except T800? Are TFZs worth it? How good is A6 Mini? I just bought T800, but maybe I'll get something else. People say A6 Mini has almost the best microdetail, how is that compared to T800.

Maybe TFZ? I listen to EDM oftenly and No. 3 are oftenly recommended due to their basshead nature. No. 3's surely are interesting and if I got 7 (get anything up to $100 more expensive) on Linsoul awards for $9 I would have gotten TFZs, definitely.

I don't have A6 mini, but it has a big brother called the LZ A6 which has gain switch, more filters and added BA drivers, though it is almost triple the price of the mini. Some of the folks here claim it is comparable to the T800, though I haven't heard it. So best to ask the others about the A6 mini and normal A6.

If u wanna get the TFZ NO. 3, there's a recently released successor called the TFZ King Edition, retails $129 USD now in a lot of shops. It contains the same TFZ No. 3/TI driver but it has a tuning switch. Some shops on AE are giving away a free TFZ My Love Edition with this TFZ King Edition for the 11/11 sale.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #44,702 of 99,604
Apparently Dunu DM-380 shares the shells with at least two other pairs, all with 6mm*1 and 5mm *2 drivers:
  • NFJ N300 Pro: seems to be the first, and "of different materials"
  • Hisenior N3+: graphene diaphragms
  • Dunu DM-380: titanium diaphragms

On AliExpress there is also the N3 (currently $14.22 plus shipping from Topeco Electronics), and on Amazon there is the NEX N3 for $25 after coupon Prime shipped.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #44,703 of 99,604
Eh. I have put double exposure of the graphs of BLON and Harman 2017 and the BLON seems to be boosted from 500Hz onwards compared to treble which we assume relatively flat. It's not that harmanish giving the thing they have 4 to 6dB boost in lowest frequencies.

So, what are your suggestions to get except T800? Are TFZs worth it? How good is A6 Mini? I just bought T800, but maybe I'll get something else so I can diversify the sound a bit. People say A6 Mini has almost the best microdetail, how is that compared to T800?

Maybe TFZ? I listen to EDM oftenly and No. 3 are oftenly recommended due to their basshead nature. No. 3's surely are interesting and if I got 7 (get anything up to $100 more expensive) on Linsoul awards for $9 I would have gotten TFZs, definitely. Do TFZs sparkle well?

Yeah, no. 3 can be a very good choice for that type of music. It's sparkle too.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #44,704 of 99,604
Yeah, no. 3 can be a very good choice for that type of music. It's sparkle too.

Yeah. I guess I'll just wait so I can get EX800ST as these are supposedly very deep in terms of bass quality. If I won't have enough for 800ST, I will get No. 3s.

Which IEMs have a great bass quality (I can stand any quantity)?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #44,705 of 99,604
Thanks for the impressions! Looks very promising, that's definitely one set I'll keep my eye out for.

Well regarding the BLON's poor fit, a few of us in the BLON thread have ordered a supposed big brother of the BLON BL-03, the BLON cardinal/bluejay. It's about $64 - 75 USD in shops on AE for 11/11. It supposedly has the same drivers as the BL-03, but in a resin shell and it has a longer nozzle. Initial reviewers said the fit and isolation is much better. I bought one and am waiting for my set to arrive.
I requested a Blon Cardinal/Buejay review unit. And I am working with another guy on retuning the Blon BL-03: longer nozzles, a bit of the upper mids removed and this balanced by a bit less mid bass. And I make sure the price does not go up...although I have no direct influence on that.

The manufacturer was previously not keen on their Blons - they want to focus on more profitable iems so I speculate. But, as it looks, they can be convinced to improve them.

Disclaimer: I am not a sales guy and very rarely give buying recommendations in my reviews/on my TECH blog. And I make zero money from this - it is a hobby. In fact, I am presently in the red after investing $250 in the E.A.R.S. rig plus spending another $250 on the JVC HAFDX1. Still, you won't see any ads on my blog anytime soon and no Patreon accounts either, let alone affiliate links. But what I am as keen on as everybody else here is a good deal "for the masses".

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #44,706 of 99,604
I requested a Blon Cardinal/Buejay review unit. And I am working with another guy on retuning the Blon BL-03: longer nozzles, a bit of the upper mids removed and this balanced by a bit less mid bass. And I make sure the price does not go up...although I have no direct influence on that.

The manufacturer was previously not keen on their Blons - they want to focus on more profitable iems so I speculate. But, as it looks, they can be convinced to improve them.

Disclaimer: I am not a sales guy and very rarely give buying recommendations in my reviews/on my TECH blog. And I make zero money from this - it is a hobby. In fact, I am presently in the red after investing $250 in the E.A.R.S. rig plus spending another $250 on the JVC HAFDX1. Still, you won't see any ads on my blog anytime soon and no Patreon accounts either, let alone affiliate links. But what I am as keen on as everybody else here is a good deal "for the masses".

Well the Blon BL-03 is one of the hypetrains of the last few weeks, not only on headfi but on other audio blogs and sites. I'm pretty sure they are still making a profit on it by selling many sets instead of fewer more expensive sets.

But the achilles heel of the BL-03 is the short nozzle, necessitating after market tips +/- cable change for most westerners. Those who ain't audiophiles and are just lay consumers will probably not know about tip rolling and will just write off the BL-03 as a crap sounding cheapo set OOTB. IMHO if they kept the tuning similar but made sets with better a better fit, and charged it ~ $50 USD, people will still snap it up. Maybe the BLON cardinal/bluejay is this improved version, I'll get it later this week to find out. But from what I know, the cardinal/bluejay came out before the BL-03, it was already retailing since the start of this year, but not many takers/reviews.

A lot of folks complain about the midbass bloatedness in the BL-03, but I suspect we are all using different eartips cause of the lousy fitting stock tips, so different ear tips will influence the bass to some extent.
And source is quite important in the BL-03. Despite its specs, it is quite power hungry, and the midbass tightens a lot with amping.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #44,707 of 99,604
Well the Blon BL-03 is one of the hypetrains of the last few weeks, not only on headfi but on other audio blogs and sites. I'm pretty sure they are still making a profit on it by selling many sets instead of fewer more expensive sets.

But the achilles heel of the BL-03 is the short nozzle, necessitating after market tips +/- cable change for most westerners. Those who ain't audiophiles and are just lay consumers will probably not know about tip rolling and will just write off the BL-03 as a crap sounding cheapo set OOTB. IMHO if they kept the tuning similar but made sets with better a better fit, and charged it ~ $50 USD, people will still snap it up. Maybe the BLON cardinal/bluejay is this improved version, I'll get it later this week to find out. But from what I know, the cardinal/bluejay came out before the BL-03, it was already retailing since the start of this year, but not many takers/reviews.

A lot of folks complain about the midbass bloatedness in the BL-03, but I suspect we are all using different eartips cause of the lousy fitting stock tips, so different ear tips will influence the bass to some extent.
And source is quite important in the BL-03. Despite its specs, it is quite power hungry, and the midbass tightens a lot with amping.
I was just told by my co-tuner that the revamped Blons may be more expensive, but not $79. I speculate, they will come with better cable and tips than the original.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #44,708 of 99,604
Blon BL-03 and Tin Hifi T4 have the same drivers? But the T4 has an ugly 5 kHz peak and a much higher price...whereas the Blons need their 8 kHz peak reduced...if it is not a coupler resonance.

Messenger.jpg

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #44,709 of 99,604

In my own opinion, you should test it with Kygo's Firestone which has quite some bass texture. If you can hear the whole bass texture, the bass is good. If not, the bass isn't of that good quality. A lot of IEMs I have fail there. Including KZ ZSX.

BLON BL-03 definitely isn't Harman neutral, atleast not in the region till 500Hz. But it is subbass leaning bass, so it shouldn't be muddy.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #44,710 of 99,604
Blon BL-03 and Tin Hifi T4 have the same drivers? But the T4 has an ugly 5 kHz peak and a much higher price...whereas the Blons need their 8 kHz peak reduced...if it is not a coupler resonance.

Crinacle's graphs tend to have a 8 kHz artefact if I'm not mistaken, due to the measuring setup.
Personally I don't hear any 8 kHz harshness on the BLONs, but I don't have any measuring rigs to confirm it. Also some folks in the BLON thread who have multiple BLONs have reported unit variations with some sets sounding slightly different from the others, so maybe unit variation plays a part.

There's lots of rumours going around that the BLON BL-03's drivers are also in the Tanchjim Oxygen, but has that been confirmed to be true?

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #44,711 of 99,604
Yeah. I guess I'll just wait so I can get EX800ST as these are supposedly very deep in terms of bass quality. If I won't have enough for 800ST, I will get No. 3s.

Which IEMs have a great bass quality (I can stand any quantity)?
For now, with my limited collections of IEM, I can say Pai Audio DR2 has the best bass.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #44,712 of 99,604
Crinacle's graphs tend to have a 8 kHz artefact if I'm not mistaken, due to the measuring setup.
Personally I don't hear any 8 kHz harshness on the BLONs, but I don't have any measuring rigs to confirm it. Also some folks in the BLON thread who have multiple BLONs have reported unit variations with some sets sounding slightly different from the others, so maybe unit variation plays a part.

There's lots of rumours going around that the BLON BL-03's drivers are also in the Tanchjim Oxygen, but has that been confirmed to be true?
Yes, the 8 kHz peak is forced as a reference. The guy who presumably tuned the Oxygens and Blons is Zhuo Hulang.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #44,713 of 99,604
For now, with my limited collections of IEM, I can say Pai Audio DR2 has the best bass.
Yep, according to reviews, they have a good bass... Now I am thinking: to get these or Dunu Falcon C or EX800ST. I'm not a basshead, but I just dislike undefined bass which will just make it all monotone and will lack texture.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #44,714 of 99,604

So Tin T4 is not better than Blon BL-03?

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #44,715 of 99,604

Yeah, I finally gave in and picked up a pair of BL-03, and bass is all over the place when switching tips, and the stock cable also causes issues in my case at least b/c the ear guides made it hard to get any seal with shallower tips. Initially I could only get a decent seal with spinfits, and in that case the bass was pretty boomy.

After hacking the guides off and reversing the connectors, I can use spiral dots, which clean up the bass.

Bass is also somewhat sensitive to source.

Would be great to see a version of these that worked for most folks out of the box, because they'd make really easy recommendations/gifts. Especially if they shipped with a cable that was suitable wear down as well as up. Lots of folks find over-ear cable routing to be a non-starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back