The discovery thread!
Jul 2, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #42,722 of 101,146
so where do you guys place the sennheiser ie40 and moondrop crescent are they the best sub iem under 200 or maybe under 500? compared to other iems... would like hear the opinions of the users

Of course not, why do you even need to ask? (Disclaimer: I haven't listened to either of these).

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #42,723 of 101,146
well, i still think folks here hyped the wrong version of Kanas. they choose the one that is shinier and has the closer eq response to ER4XR, which, from my observation among my audio friends, is not the sound for everyone. and also unfortunately the KP doesn't reach the level of ER4XR anyway, so for me it is stuck on it's own audio limbo. the KP is still a good jack of all trades, just doesn't excel in any.

most people should just go for the grey one instead

for me personally, my order of preference (of that kind of sound type) is:
crescent < MH755 < Kanas
I only know the silver version of the MKP.

so where do you guys place the sennheiser ie40 and moondrop crescent are they the best sub iem under 200 or maybe under 500? compared to other iems... would like hear the opinions of the users
Difficult to do as you have to know all the others. Nobody has offered me the Coras to review yet. The Senns are a safe bet for a really good iem imo.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #42,725 of 101,146
I only know the silver version of the MKP.
I think by "grey" he meant brushed/matte grey/silver regular Kanas. KPE is finished with chrome-plating which looks like "mirror".

About KPE vs. Kanas, based on lots of measurements and impressions I`ve seen, I would personally still go with KPE. I can`t imagine more mid-bass or noticeably more sub-bass than that.
But take an average-Joe without proper source gear and I belive it makes sense regular one being better and more generally enjoyable thorough different genres.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #42,726 of 101,146
I think by "grey" he meant brushed/matte grey/silver regular Kanas. KPE is finished with chrome-plating which looks like "mirror".

About KPE vs. Kanas, based on lots of measurements and impressions I`ve seen, I would personally still go with KPE. I can`t imagine more mid-bass or noticeably more sub-bass than that.
But take an average-Joe without proper source gear and I belive it makes sense regular one being better and more generally enjoyable thorough different genres.
Avarage joes are looking for how loud is it and how much sub bass is there

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #42,727 of 101,146

Somebody had posted graph comparison between Kanas and KPE and the only difference was a more boosted low end in the original Kanas. Will send the KPE to @loomisjohnson who has the original Kanas.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #42,729 of 101,146
I have the MKP and I love them. I find them balanced and starting to reach for them over my N5005.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #42,730 of 101,146
20190702_182008.jpg
20190702_182206.jpg

TANSIO MIRAI TSMR-3 Pro :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #42,731 of 101,146
I'm blown away! I t's been 4 years since I was able to listen to my UE700 dual BA iems. Well, I was able to get them back today, and all I can say is that I forgot just how good these things sound. I do remember being really bummed out, I mean REALLY bummed out when they shorted out. At the time, I had a Fiio X3 and they sounded dynamite out of that unit, but out of my Sony and Cowon, they simply sound stellar. Side by side with the other two dual BA I own (The Zero Audio Doppio and TEAC ze-1000), the UE700 (there is a distinction to be made between the original Ultimate Ears UE700 and Logitech UE700, as the original's were tuned very badly, with very bright highs and distorted bass at higher volumes with recessed mids, and the Logitech version corrected all it's original flaws for an amazingly clear and taut sound) simply runs over both of these fellow dual BA's. While the ZE-1000 sounds anemic and congested next to the UE700, with little of the detail retrieval of the UE's, the Doppio were a decent challenger. The places where the Doppio gave way to the UE700's is in the more prominent and controlled highs. Clear with just the right amount of shimmer without getting sibilant, the Doppio's highs tend to be a bit rolled off, with the slight dark sounding signature providing less shimmer. Now being a bit darker, the mids are a tad bit meatier with the Doppios (I think it's their strength), so voices do shine a bit more up front and smoother presentation. The bass is where the UE700 overtake the Doppios once again. The bass notes are taut and fast. I mean it's not heavy or meaty, but as i mentioned taut and punchy. Weight is very nice for a BA. Still not going to be satisfying for a basshead, but for someone who appreciates bass delivered with speed, clarity, and resolution, then you will be left very satisfied. By comparison, the bass on the ZE-1000 is light and lacking resolution or punch. The Doppios deliver nice punch, but not as fast or resolving, though again, for a BA iem, deliver some pretty good bass. Zero Audio has always been good at delivering bass. The Doppios also have a wider sound stage, but not by much, and detail retrieval and timbre (love the timbre from these tiny pills) go to the UE700, so overall, the UE700 win that shootout, but it's closer than I thought it would be. Kudos Zero Audio. Comfort also go to the UE700, as these immensely tiny pills fit really comfortably with no fuss in your ears and sit without any issues or ear fatigue. I guess the UE700 are an OLD TIMEY NEW DISCOVERY!! So if you're looking for an awesome sounding BA iem with comfort to boot, then you can't go wrong scouring the internet for these gems. Good luck though. These things are hard to find!

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #42,732 of 101,146
I'm blown away! I t's been 4 years since I was able to listen to my UE700 dual BA iems. Well, I was able to get them back today, and all I can say is that I forgot just how good these things sound. I do remember being really bummed out, I mean REALLY bummed out when they shorted out. At the time, I had a Fiio X3 and they sounded dynamite out of that unit, but out of my Sony and Cowon, they simply sound stellar. Side by side with the other two dual BA I own (The Zero Audio Doppio and TEAC ze-1000), the UE700 (there is a distinction to be made between the original Ultimate Ears UE700 and Logitech UE700, as the original's were tuned very badly, with very bright highs and distorted bass at higher volumes with recessed mids, and the Logitech version corrected all it's original flaws for an amazingly clear and taut sound) simply runs over both of these fellow dual BA's. While the ZE-1000 sounds anemic and congested next to the UE700, with little of the detail retrieval of the UE's, the Doppio were a decent challenger. The places where the Doppio gave way to the UE700's is in the more prominent and controlled highs. Clear with just the right amount of shimmer without getting sibilant, the Doppio's highs tend to be a bit rolled off, with the slight dark sounding signature providing less shimmer. Now being a bit darker, the mids are a tad bit meatier with the Doppios (I think it's their strength), so voices do shine a bit more up front and smoother presentation. The bass is where the UE700 overtake the Doppios once again. The bass notes are taut and fast. I mean it's not heavy or meaty, but as i mentioned taut and punchy. Weight is very nice for a BA. Still not going to be satisfying for a basshead, but for someone who appreciates bass delivered with speed, clarity, and resolution, then you will be left very satisfied. By comparison, the bass on the ZE-1000 is light and lacking resolution or punch. The Doppios deliver nice punch, but not as fast or resolving, though again, for a BA iem, deliver some pretty good bass. Zero Audio has always been good at delivering bass. The Doppios also have a wider sound stage, but not by much, and detail retrieval and timbre (love the timbre from these tiny pills) go to the UE700, so overall, the UE700 win that shootout, but it's closer than I thought it would be. Kudos Zero Audio. Comfort also go to the UE700, as these immensely tiny pills fit really comfortably with no fuss in your ears and sit without any issues or ear fatigue. I guess the UE700 are an OLD TIMEY NEW DISCOVERY!! So if you're looking for an awesome sounding BA iem with comfort to boot, then you can't go wrong scouring the internet for these gems. Good luck though. These things are hard to find!
Same with the UE900s (4 BAs). But nobody believes me.

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #42,733 of 101,146
Jul 4, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #42,735 of 101,146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back