The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #41,476 of 100,413
What would you all consider good iems for a black/death/doom metal fan. I can spend up to £450.
Was considering fiio fh5, ibasso it01s, periodic be, flares pro 2
I like the Whizzer Kylin for big dense recordings. Boom bass, nice highs and good vocal section. Very lush sounding and big.
I know Irxy just slammed it up top, but I like these best with recordings that have a lot going on.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #41,478 of 100,413
So many filter options that it's become a testing laboratory here with me switching filters constantly every 2 minutes. Haha

For now, Pink, Silver and Red are my favorite. Which ones are yours?

41548323098_.pic.jpg

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #41,479 of 100,413
What would you all consider good iems for a black/death/doom metal fan. I can spend up to £450.
Was considering fiio fh5, ibasso it01s, periodic be, flares pro 2
Though not mentioned often but nonetheless very good: toneking t88k. Well rounded and does nothing wrong. The extension of the bass can surprise you if it's in the record (although ... the death/doom scene is not known for the quality recordings unfortunately).

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #41,480 of 100,413
Wow, I feel quite bad now because my toneking t4's are a few days away from arriving and I heard such praise for them especially for vocals, soundstage and clarity before ordering. However, hbb's recent review has really put me off for them and I just hope his was a completely defective unit. Honky vocals and average soundstage is excatly what I do not want aha.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #41,481 of 100,413
Wow, I feel quite bad now because my toneking t4's are a few days away from arriving and I heard such praise for them especially for vocals, soundstage and clarity before ordering. However, hbb's recent review has really put me off for them and I just hope his was a completely defective unit. Honky vocals and average soundstage is excatly what I do not want aha.
None of that on my unit... none

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #41,482 of 100,413
Here are 2 graphs for the Toneking T4, that maybe of help to you guys. I'm still learning how to interpret graphs, and find them fascinating.

This is a graph that i am hearing... the graph on Chris's vid seems to have a bloated (unnaturally) mid bass

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #41,483 of 100,413
People will overlook these foams since they look like a darker blacker set of Complys and most guys will just toss them aside or throw them in the tip box. Do not overlook these. They are most definitely significant. This being said.

Let me make sure they are what I believe are the same foams. The ones I ordered recently that is, I am not 100% certain if they are. It only cost me $10 for 20 pairs. It was a guess on my part. There don't seem to be too much in the way of variety of foam tips on aliexpress. There is literally something like 3 types of foams. I took a shot in the dark sort to say and went ahead and ordered them through aliexpress. There seems to be a bunch of different colors for these foams too. I can't recommend a tip that I am not 100% sure of so let me get my foams first and find out if they are the same things. I have a good feeling that they are since there are not too many varieties of foam tips on the express.
40-pcs-20-pairs-ANJIRUI-T100-T200-T400-T500-S-M-L-Caliber-Ear-Pads-cap.jpg_640x640.jpg

HTB1mqdSasfrK1RjSszcq6xGGFXaz.jpg

The ones I ordered look identical to the ones I have, I just went off of pictures. Which is not exactly scientific but give me several weeks and I will report back. In duping the Complys the Chinese actually made a better version. Lol. I have my fingers crossed the ones I ordered are the same foams.

Again they are the foams that come with BGVP earphones and NiceHCK M6 and P3

Even more sparse and only available in a T400 (4.9mm) 'medium-ish' size is a ball style foam ear tip. Similar to the comply comfort series foams. Which seem to use the same foam and core as the ones you ordered. At least they seem to match the other T400 foam tips I got off AE.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...-insulation-foam-tips-for-in/32822502907.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pa...w-Rebound-Eartips-For-In-Ear/32918849915.html

I'm currently using these on my Westone IEM's using an adapter I made. Pretty comfortable and sound good.

20190118_183526 (1) (1).jpg

Attachments

• 2068551657729212120.jpg
    2068551657729212120.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 817690301058798544.jpg
    817690301058798544.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #41,484 of 100,413

None of that on my unit... none
here you have measurements of my toneking t4, using iec711 rig. they are not my definitive measurements (i have to redo it using a posterior calibration to fix over 10kHz).
TonekingT4_FR.png

this FR is quite different to harman target curve. this makes t4 a very special iem. vocals sound intimate, like if the singer wasn't using a microphone. i might be weird, but these vocals sound the least colored, most natural and realistic, from my inventory. clear, transparent, great resolution and detailed. if you are used to amplified colored vocals, these can sound strange to you, though.
and if you need a big amount of bass and sub-bass, these are not suitable.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #41,486 of 100,413
I got some news for you. NiceHCKs version is made by the same folks. It is the same earphone with a slightly different tuning also using a slightly different housing different colors but base design is the exact same thing probably using the same drivers too.

I got a different cable on my pair and it sounds fantastic. They are very tip and cable dependent so I can understand what your saying. They actually need burn in as well. If you havent done all this and is saying this as how they sound out of the box. I highly recommend you give them a good long burn in. They sound like crap out of the box. Weird tonality to them.

This will be the exact same way it will be on the FR12. NiceHCK gets their earphones from the same OEM factory the other brand iems are made. That is why both companies own the exact same earphones and cables with different names.
I got some news for you, too. First, let me say that I appreciate your contributions to the earphones community. I see that you're respected and many people are basing their purchase decisions on your words. But you totally dropped the ball on this one, i.e. regarding the identicality of the unspoken brand's HQ12 and NiceHCK's FR12. Because your tone implied that you had some factual information on this. I have just received the FR12. As it turns out, these are completely different earphones. The shells are smaller (like NiceHCK's H5; yes, they actually managed to cramp 12 BAs into shells this small), different nozzles and sound tubes. They even have a proper crossover.
rp9RSOrl.jpg

6vqsjifl.jpg

But more than anything, the sound is just so much better than HQ12, it's not even close! There's nothing 'slight' about the differences that I'm seeing and hearing. I have no quarrel with you, but please, if you state your opinions/insights don't sound like you 'know' it for a fact. And I apologize if you find this offensive, this was not in my intentions.

I think I will be making a proper review for the FR12 because they deserve one. I've also got NiceHCK's M6 (BGVP DMG) and I'm really liking the tonality and tuning of these things! They are so easy on the ears.

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_113017.jpg
    IMG_20190129_113017.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190129_085431.jpg
    IMG_20190129_085431.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #41,488 of 100,413
here you have measurements of my toneking t4, using iec711 rig. they are not my definitive measurements (i have to redo it using a posterior calibration to fix over 10kHz).

this FR is quite different to harman target curve. this makes t4 a very special iem. vocals sound intimate, like if the singer wasn't using a microphone. i might be weird, but these vocals sound the least colored, most natural and realistic, from my inventory. clear, transparent, great resolution and detailed. if you are used to amplified colored vocals, these can sound strange to you, though.
and if you need a big amount of bass and sub-bass, these are not suitable.
So far all owners of the t4 have especially praised the clarity, vocals and soundstage which I need the most. I am used to more lush mids but as long t4 isn't honky or thin sounding I should be fine. Also, @jon parker said that everything improves a lot with the the nicehck 16 core cable that I ordered for it aswell. The low end supposedly increased quite a bit for him whilst warming the mids and keeping that pure clarity that everyone seems to praise about them. Ill soon know if these iems will be for me but that review by hbb was just a huge shock! But tbh, at a time where everyone loved the toneking 9t's I happened to be the only one who disliked them with it sounding nothing like i thought it to be. I hope I don't have that toneking curse that hbb has aha.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #41,489 of 100,413
So far all owners of the t4 have especially praised the clarity, vocals and soundstage which I need the most. I am used to more lush mids but as long t4 isn't honky or thin sounding I should be fine. Also, @jon parker said that everything improves a lot with the the nicehck 16 core cable that I ordered for it aswell. The low end supposedly increased quite a bit for him whilst warming the mids and keeping that pure clarity that everyone seems to praise about them. Ill soon know if these iems will be for me but that review was just a huge shock!
to me, soundstage is wide, and very good imaging. vocals are thin enough to appreciate every detail, not distorted, very different to usual vocals.
some people will like this, some people won't. so don't rely on a single review but some of them, specially from those whose preferences best match yours.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #41,490 of 100,413
So far all owners of the t4 have especially praised the clarity, vocals and soundstage which I need the most. I am used to more lush mids but as long t4 isn't honky or thin sounding I should be fine. Also, @jon parker said that everything improves a lot with the the nicehck 16 core cable that I ordered for it aswell. The low end supposedly increased quite a bit for him whilst warming the mids and keeping that pure clarity that everyone seems to praise about them. Ill soon know if these iems will be for me but that review was just a huge shock!

They just need a good 60+ hours of burn in and then adding the copper cable helped a lot. if you listen to some music that is especially 'clean' and 'pure' then really shine. They do have a particular sound signature.
Bear in mind that firstly, Bad Guy has a preference & has come from deep rich low end punchy headphones love & background. Also he doesn't do much if any burn in and in this case used the original cable
These things combined did not put the T4's in the best light. He does have exceptional ears and is a trustworthy reviewer though :)
Anyway, Let us know how you like them when you get them
PS: I really liked the KZ foams on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back